The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 92 93 94 95 96 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
flyingfrog
post Jul 30 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #1861

BUSTie

I'm still puzzling over an outfit I saw this afternoon, on a woman walking past the coffee shop where I was getting a drink. At first I thought maybe she was en route to a costume party, but it was 3 in the afternoon and she was with a dude in khakis and beige polo.

-Black studded 'chaps' that were cut away from the top of the leg, creating a kind of hot-pants thing from the waist to a few inches down the leg, chap-like extensions flowing from there
-White studded halter top, extremely short/low-cut
-Black sunglasses
-Platform sandals
-Huge gold earrings/necklace
-Orangey fake tan
-Long, long straight black hair

She was wearing it like she meant it, too. And her companion looked so square and bland. I was very tempted to follow them to find out what their deal was, but it's too hot to stalk...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
misspissed
post Jul 30 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #1862

Hardcore BUSTie

i'm not sure what the answer is

bklyn, the answer, my friend, is a cute little lightweight cardigan with 3/4 length sleeves in a complimentary color. it covers up, still looks summery, and is my personal secret weapon.

one that is fitted and hits the waist, because if it is too long it ventures into "grammaw" territory.

target sells 'em for $17.99!

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post Jul 30 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #1863

Hardcore BUSTie

after a night of freebie broadway tickets, boy did i have to do some eyeball bleaching last night... most of the heinous, heinous felonies i witnessed were so bad as to be indescribable. my mind has blocked memories of the worst. i think Times Square should be named Offical East Coast Capital of Fug. the only thing i will say to the Theatre-Going tourist community is this: broadway theatre is not the fricking opera. neither is it a quick run to Blockbuster. you should look well groomed and nice, but formalwear is not required. it's at a business casual, first date, after-work drinks level of dressiness. don't wear an evening gown and manolos. don't wear a stained Co-ed Naked t-shirt and mandals. you want to look nice, but not "dinner at the white house" nice.

i also have some fashion pointers for everyone! ah, the joys of fug-ography, direct and in the field.

first off. let's say you're rather modest, or maybe not terribly confident about your body. but, oh, the halter-neck sundresses at Old Navy are so cute, and only $17.99! so you buy one and resolve to figure out some way to rock it despite your tendency to go for a more covered up look most of the time. wearing a full-coverage soccer mom tank or a men's white undershirt under the halter neck is NOT the answer. i'm not sure what the answer is, but it isn't that. you could maybe get away with one of those super-threadbare vintage tee shirts, though, but only if it doesn't really match that much AND you get a 25% view of the ironic slogan on the shirt.

also, on the subject of the 'grammaw chic' thing that's been sweeping the hipster nation so far this spring/summer. a few helpful hints. number 1: the senior citizen look is best pulled off if one is under 30, or at least looks it. if you're pushing middle age, you will just look elderly before your time in that muumuu. number 2: don't combine all the possible 'retirement center' acountrements all at the same time into sort of an Ur-Senior look. for instance, if you're going to wear a house dress, don't also wear white orthopedic-looking shoes AND big jackie o glasses AND a rhinestone brooch clipped to your shawl while also carrying one of those big satchel purses. this is especially problematic if one is at the upper age limits of hipsterdom (late 30's-early 40's). someone will think you are a retiree with a really, really good plastic surgeon.

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jul 30 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #1864

PANTIES! ew.

I was recently on the MIT campus, land of the genius, and my mouth just hung open the whole time, seeing guy after guy with scraggly long unkempt hair and mandals. Oh, the horror! My friend and I were so horrible, we were secretly laughing at all of them. Talk about a subculture -- I didn't see ONE GUY with any evidence of product in his hair. Not that every man has to be a metrosexual, but sheesh, guys, get with the program (and I don't mean computer program). You can have long hair without it being all gross and nest-like. Seriously, where is the appeal in that? Why do they do it -- or not do it, as the case actually is? If you're a guy and can't be bothered to take care of your hair, why grow it long in the first place?

+Quote Post
pepper
post Jul 27 2006, 06:53 PM
Post #1865

oh man, that's nuthin'. i live in hippie-ville 'member? it's all grannies with the triple f's and no bra round here. it's like mumpy sweater lumps down to the waist and then some.

i stopped a lady at the light yesterday to tuck her back bra strap back into her sundress. she thanked me though. what can i say, it's a friendly town.

+Quote Post
halcyon
post Jul 27 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #1866

Hardcore BUSTie

Ooh, yeah. The other day I saw a cute older lady in an endearingly grandma-ish, fully mint green outfit. I thought it was rather precious, until she began running to catch her bus and the green keyhole top experienced seismic activity... she wasn't wearing anything underneath, and I'd estimate she was a gravity-stricken C cup. Agh.

+Quote Post
misspissed
post Jul 27 2006, 09:49 AM
Post #1867

Hardcore BUSTie

busty, ew! i saw that guy's evil twin in the mall where i work.

instead this time, he was wearing man-cargo capris, some sort of loafer-esque shoe, and the dreaded mesh tee shirt. long grey hair in a ponytail. he looked very well groomed, just horribly attired.

i know we've said this over and over again, but i am going to pool my resources and rent a billboard now:
LADIES WITH BOOBIES BIGGER THAN A B CUP, PLEASE WEAR A FUCKING BRA.

twice yesterday, i saw the phenomon - older woman, in her 50s, wearing a tee shirt and no bra. she wasn't dressed like a slob, either. she actually was wearing a rather nice ensemble.

then the one that really scared me was a customer in my shop. a tall, amazonian blonde, with huge knockers, wearing a halter-style dress. the dress was gorgeous, but not on her. her boobs were way too unsupported for it to look good.
and me, being the shorty that i am, i was at EYE LEVEL with said knockers. i was frightened. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
bustygirl
post Jul 27 2006, 08:05 AM
Post #1868

Hardcore BUSTie

Seen at Target. Swarthy, sweaty, lumpy, hairy gentleman, some form of gym shorts, mandals over toes that were never meant to be seen.

The kicker? SEE-THROUGH MESH TEE. Man-boobs a-jiggling. Hair poking out.

I want my mommy.

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Jul 26 2006, 05:17 PM
Post #1869

Hardcore BUSTie

A red Hawaiian shirt, tucked into black parachute pants, with sneakers and a baseball cap.

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Jul 26 2006, 03:14 PM
Post #1870

Hardcore BUSTie

Oooh, pegged pants and pony tails off to one side that takes me back. Haha!

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Jul 26 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #1871

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

Oh....I just remembered something....the one piece strapless terry cloth top and shorts outfit I had circa 1979/80...it was referred to as a "romper" at the time. And my mom had one too!

Around 1984/5/6-ish (I've blocked out the exact year), when I was wearing Levis and punk/metal Japanese import t-shirts, and nothing but black, white, grey, or red (I constantly wore this grey blazer and this grey fedora - which I still miss, *le sigh*)......my peers were all into this HEAD-TO-TOE MATCHING PASTEL thing, which I despised. Pastel pants or skirts, pastel shoes (with pastel slouchy socks), pastel polo shirt or pastel big shirt and/or (hugely oversized) pastel shaker sweater, pastel hair ornaments, and the kicker.....matching LONG pastel-coloured fake pearls! Oh, the horror! Girls would roam the halls in packs - pink girls, green girls, blue girls - like walking pastel candy assortments. I never understood it. (And of course, *I* was considered the fashion crime...although I could still dress like that today and not be "out" of style, either!) I pray the look does not re-appear in this '80s revisit we're going through.

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
sixelacat
post Jul 26 2006, 01:01 AM
Post #1872

Creating demon-radical feminist hybrids since 1974

Speaking of childhood CoFs, this one was forced on me in junior high by my father, who is notoriously unable to dress himself to this day. I was trying to get out of going to church one morning, so I used the excuse that I had no clean clothes to wear. He went into my closet and picked out an outfit that I had to wear under penalty of not being able to go to the Bon Jovi/Cinderella concert if I didn't!

The outfit: red paisley print oxford-type shirt (remember the ones with the extra long tails?), and white denim jeans, pegged, with 1/2 inch blue vertical stripes all around. And Keds.

To church.

Oh, the things I did for Bon Jovi in the eighties!

--------------------
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!

+Quote Post
musicfit
post Jul 25 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #1873

I had a cof in childhood. One day I decided I would try to get dressed by myself for the first time (I was maybe 3 or 4). The ensemble was as follows:

blue footie jammies on backwards
blue pajama bottoms on top of the blue footie pajamas (also backwards)
mussy hair from sleeping.

+Quote Post
oceandessa
post Jul 25 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #1874

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh man.

I saw this lady yesterday. She was I think in her mid 40s. Nice hair. Nice body (very tall and stately). Yet she was wearing - a chiffon, lower-butt length baby doll. Not a baby doll-like shirt, but a real honest nighty baby doll, with puffy sleeves too.

She wore this with: a black tanktop underneath, and black panties.

That is all. I needs me some of that eye bleach now.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Jul 25 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #1875

oh, you could SO rock the side pony still and you know it. damn your hide, you gots the bestest hair.

+Quote Post
princesslala
post Jul 25 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #1876

BUSTie

Peps!
Tube socks and knee socks are two distinctly different accessories.
My other major CoF from childhood was the only-one-side-of-the-head ponytail.
And I certainly don't do THAT anymore!
(I loved taht character in Napoleon Dynamite - I kept saying, "That was me! That was me!"

+Quote Post
musicfit
post Jul 25 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #1877

Walking Bitch, I'm so sorry you have to go through such a horrific sight! I can't imagine wearing something like that and then going to an office. Hmmmm...I know they keep the office air up really high, do doesn't she get goosebumps when she's barely dressed like that? I can barely stand wearing a sleeveless shirt in the office.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Jul 25 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #1878

madmoiselle lala, oh please girl, you still dress like that and you know it. and if you aren't the cutest thing around this town, i just don't know who is.

+Quote Post
princesslala
post Jul 25 2006, 10:41 AM
Post #1879

BUSTie

speaking of CoFs from childhood....
I had a baby blue with pink trim short short and zip up jacket matching set in a fabulous faux-satin.
I remember BEGGING my mother to buy me the set when I found it at the discount wholesalers wade-through-the-boxes and then wait-in-line-for-the-better-part-of-the-day warehouse.
I can't believe she caved.
I wore it with some little cami-type thing and.....white tube socks with dark blue stripes which I pulled up to my knees.
The ensemble was like a porta-sauna in the Montreal humidity, but I wore it ALL THE TIME the summer I was 12.
Which was, incidentally, in 1980.

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Jul 25 2006, 01:10 AM
Post #1880

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

walkingbitch, "Bathroom Cabinet Mirror Syndrome" is actually my new favourite phrase. I use it in conversations!

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 92 93 94 95 96 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 27, 2014 - 10:12 PM