The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 114 115 116 117 118 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
lady_ell
post May 7 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #2301

Hardcore BUSTie

I just went to the Sheep and Wool festival, which was comprised of the most... varied bunch of people ever. Which also meant that it had the most varied CoFs ever. It was like shooting fish in a barrel.

You had your home-schooled farmish types wearing mom jeans up to their armpits with T-shirts tucked tightly in... not just on moms, but on teenaged girls! You had an unsightly load of sport sandals with socks and pleated khaki shorts (again, with the tucked in huge T-shirts). There were the requisite horrible hats - those shade hats that aren't glamorous straw hats of the 40's, but schlumpy khaki or olive drab cloth things with drawstrings and panels of cloth that shade the back of the neck. Lots of shapeless denim jumpers. Granted, some of the shapeless sack dresses were on Mennonite women so I could let those slide, but there were a lot on women who had just decided arbitrarily that they didn't have waists. Pissy looking older women in prissy capri pants and twin sets. God, were those women MEAN! What else... oh yes. The folks who were wearing their fiber arts creations. The ones who were wearing their most complicated-to-create ones. The ones that never should have been made in the first place, but were made simply to show off ones skills. Short boxy vests out of crocheted granny squares of hideous colors. Horrible notions of stripes. Intarsia horrors (think christmas sweaters) but homemade and spring-themed (tulips and scotty dogs).

It left me with eyestrain and also the mantra: just because you CAN knit it, doesn't mean you SHOULD knit it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
halcyon
post May 6 2006, 02:43 AM
Post #2302

Hardcore BUSTie

yay, thanks! if you're in the land of fred meyer, that's where I found them...

+Quote Post
llamas
post May 5 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #2303

Hardcore BUSTie

plynn, you've inspired me...
*runs to buy leopard-print belt*

Anyway, I giggled a bit today when one of our office IT guys had his jeans pulled up nearly to his nipples. Young enough to know better, too.

+Quote Post
dusty
post May 5 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #2304

Hardcore BUSTie

I would way rather see a miniskirt with boots than high heels.

I want rubber boots. Preferably in hot pink or red.

+Quote Post
kjhink
post May 5 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #2305

BUSTie

halcyon, I *heart* those. I think they're perfectly charming.

+Quote Post
halcyon
post May 5 2006, 11:34 AM
Post #2306

Hardcore BUSTie

I just bought some galoshes for the monsoon season on a whim...I think it looks sort of cute. At risk of being called a COF, here's a shot of 'em. With a skirt!

+Quote Post
halcyon
post May 5 2006, 11:34 AM
Post #2307

Hardcore BUSTie

double post?

+Quote Post
sybarite
post May 5 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #2308

it's cards on the table time

I wear boots with skirts (mini- or knee length)when it's cold-ish out and I quite like boots with, say, knit or jersey knee-length dresses. Tomato, to-mah-to. Ditto the dresses over jeans; doesn't suit me personally but I've seen it work really well. And I love some of the stuff out there now that a lot of people hate: flats (yay!) and skinny jeans come to mind.

What annoys me is over-layering so all you see is a jumble of clothes. But then, that's down to the wearer's lack of skill. And I'm afraid I really hate the huge coloured belts.

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 5 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #2309

Hardcore BUSTie

ok. i got all dolled up in skirt, boots, etc. only to discover that i can't find the roomie's camera. and i'm too polite to go digging for it. either way, he probably has it with him.

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 5 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #2310

Hardcore BUSTie

will try to model the boots and skirt look for the camera in a bit... it just dawned on me that my laptop + roomie's digital camera + flickr + the internet = putting pictures online practically instantaneously.

+Quote Post
dusty
post May 5 2006, 07:58 AM
Post #2311

Hardcore BUSTie

I saw someone wearing gauchos this morning, and she looked great. Mind, she was middle aged and very expensive. They were a lovely cut, with a longer jacket, nylons and flats. Plus, she had a great haircut.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post May 5 2006, 06:33 AM
Post #2312

it's cards on the table time

OK, this should have been a CoF, but somehow wasn't. Chinese girl, ladytron haircut, black logo'd t-shirt, grey pleated schoolgirl-style mini, cool trainers and (the kicker) white cotton legwarmers with pompoms attached.

Yet somehow... she pulled it off. Maybe it was the attitude. It is the most unusual thing I've ever seen anyone wear for a final exam though.

+Quote Post
miss_jane
post May 5 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #2313

BUSTie

We're having a bit of a heatwave in the UK at the moment, so my feet aren't a liking the boots, even for photo ops! I might try later.

My fashion hatred - women above the age of say... 15... who insist on wearing pastel coloured child cut t-shirts with cartoons on the front, specifically eeyore. Nobody can take you seriously while you wear that. Nobody.

There was a good CoF last night actually, in my regular. Theres this woman who is a crime of everything basically, which is why I don't feel bad for attacking her clothes. She always looks awful. Probably because she is about a size 14/16 and wears size 10 clothes but I digress.

Last night she was wearing a denim jacket (fine) a black top that didn't fit (as per usual), big chunky platform boots (the pub is a metal/punk pub so these weren't too bad) and a tiny denim skirt. When she walked you could see her arse. Literally, arse cheeks a flapping in the breeze.

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 4 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #2314

bhermit, word sister. like, try it on already, eh?
i can pull of most styles, i'm one-a-those tall skinny peeps who has some boobage and a respectable booty but i still don't just put it on 'cause the hoodwinks are wearing it. i mean, come ON now, have some kinda sense o' style eh? one that's your OWN for a change, is that too much to ask?
i wear some freakish outfits but they are things that i like, that look funky together, that are unique and whatnot, ye know? just 'cause every someone else has something on don't make it look styley. like those pants with the words on the ass. ugh, die already.

still waitin' on the pics girls... show a sister how it's done.

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 4 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #2315

Hardcore BUSTie

see, that is where trendy hipster fashion crosses the line.

when everybody starts wearing it.

seriously, if you like to take the occasional fashion risk and rock something ridiculous every now and again, and you carry yourself right and know the proper context, AND IT ACTUALLY LOOKS GOOD ON YOU, then sure, as long as you can pull it off.

when they start selling it at K-Mart and it becomes a wardrobe staple for everyone, regardless of whether it works on the individual or not, that's when it goes downhill. I have seen certain individuals look good in gauchos (and in previous trend cycles, capris and tube tops and those stupid cropped jackets from last fall and on and on). And not necessarily tiny girls or supermodels, either. But either you can pull it off or you can't. And if you can't, then don't bother.

Do people not try things on anymore? Do they just blindly buy things because it was in Cosmo or they saw it on sale at Target? Do they not understand how ridiculous they look? WTF?

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post May 4 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #2316

Big Fat Bitch

I rock rough & tough with my afro-puff, HEY! to my bad self!

What made it rule was that she had no idea what "Oh, the humanity" meant. There was no revelence to her. Flaming hydrogen was a mystery. If you're gonna make a historical crack, at least have the back ground, yeah.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
lilacwine13
post May 4 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #2317

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

AP, that is awesome. Oh the humanity indeed.

I like wearing boots with skirts. It really depends on the skirt and boot, though, and there's no way I am wearing cowboy boots. (They emphasize my calves, which do enough emphasizing on their own.)

Today's CoF is seeing too many gauchos. I think I saw at least six 10-year old girls wear them in my tour group today, then when I get to work the tech writer who's in her mid-fifties was wearing them. Yesterday it was a purple, short-sleeved shrug sweater over what looked liked a dress that looked like it belonged at a rural Midwestern wedding, and today it was this.

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy

+Quote Post
tyger
post May 4 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #2318

Hardcore BUSTie

hello, i like the dress on top of pants (i have been known to rock the naughty schoolgirl skirt with jeans on occasion, too) it's all about the dress, really. if it's short and quirky, it's totally okay, and awesome, and cute. my friends and i were doing this way before the trend caught on (i'm talking years) out of necessity. it's -30 and we walk to school, do we wear a little dress? no, we wear it with pants underneath to avoid frostbite. plus, that way you can wear super-short dresses without having to worry about ass on chair contact

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 4 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #2319

ap makin' me laugh. i'm gonna pee my chair girl.

girl at work wears outrageously high heels and then stompy run/trips all over the place. maybe it's the leaning-forward momentum that keeps her from being able to walk slowly? i dunno. today, bright green top, hot pink sweater, but not the nice hot pink, the orangey obnoxious one, ditto hot pink skirt. horribly bright easter egg on acid, very distracting. and the gigantic tall shoes.
hello lady, it's the freaking bank already! tone it down a few. and learn to walk in dem things. gah.

+Quote Post
voodoo_princess
post May 4 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #2320

Hardcore BUSTie

hellotampon - I have to admit too that I kind of favor the dress over jeans look. Of course it has to be the right style of dress cause you can't pull it off with just any old rag but I can no longer pull off that look myself as my rear is bigger than it used to be and the jeans under the dress just make me look like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Gal. Back in the (skinny) day tho, I was lovin that look!
And your charity shop dress sounds absolutely divine! I do wish I had such luck with charity shopping........

COF today was somewhat large woman at daughter's school wearing button down shirt with big flower print in pastels over white, tucked in to a blue skirt that was pulled up way over the waistline with brownish tan flat sandals and pantyhose.

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 114 115 116 117 118 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 23, 2014 - 03:09 AM