The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plus size girls are there any cool clothes out there for us ?
deschatsrouge
post Aug 7 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #121

A symphony of atrocities.

I couldn't wear that dress, my boobs are huge. The ruffles would make it look like I'm trying to cover two elephants on my chest with a sheet.

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Aug 6 2008, 01:02 PM
Post #122

Big Fat Bitch

What do we think? I have this pair of lace-up oxfords that'll look great with it.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
Divala
post Jul 19 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #123

Hardcore BUSTie

Candycane_girl, I believe the W means "women's" as opposed to "ladies," which means they're made to fit a fuller, say, size 16 than the 16 you'll find in the ladies department. I don't understand why they still use the W for sizes upward of 18, though, since you can't find that size in the ladies department.

--------------------
"After all those hours of concentrated effort, I come home pure as the driven snow." -Gidget

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jul 19 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #124

Hardcore BUSTie

What does the W mean in the sizes?

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Jul 19 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #125

Hardcore BUSTie

*sneaks in* Hi girlies! This Boutique has some cute stuff, and a big sale right now. happy shopping!

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Jul 16 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #126

Hardcore BUSTie

Check this link, Foot Traffic.com. They might have what you're looking for. They have stripey ones, too.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jul 15 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #127

Hardcore BUSTie

Would anyone happen to know where to get opaque tights in varying colours? I hate trying to look for plus size hosiery. Even Torrid doesn't have much selection.

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Jul 11 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #128

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh, VERY cute dresses! I love them all, but I have to say, that bombshell wiggle dress is the most! I could so rock that dress! ...Ok, I was planning my next splurge to be Fluevog shoes, but maybe I'll save those for later and buy the dress.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Jul 11 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #129

Hardcore BUSTie

thirtiesgirl- another great designer with retro inspired dresses in (well fitting!) plus sizes is Donna Ricco. You can buy her stuff online or at Nordstrom.
Some cute retro examples are this gorgeous halter and this bombshell wiggle dress. My Mom recently got this one in black with white polka dots, it is dynamite on her curves, and the back detail is sooo sexy!
good luck vintage-hunting!

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
Divala
post Jul 11 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #130

Hardcore BUSTie

The first thing I thought of when I got my khakis was him going "that crotch is insane!" That's what Michael Kors will always be in my head, a funny orange queen who screams "insane crotches!"

I don't understand rigid tags on flimsy fabrics, either, especially when they could just as easily print the info on the inside like they've been doing with t-shirts lately.

--------------------
"After all those hours of concentrated effort, I come home pure as the driven snow." -Gidget

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 11 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #131

Big Fat Bitch

I look at the Michael Michael Kors stuff, but for some reason I can't seem to fall in love with anything that great bitchy orange queen has designed.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
pinkpoodle
post Jul 11 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #132

Nobody puts poodle in a corner

I think I know what black shirt you're talking about, diva. You looked awesome in that shirt!! I haven't had much luck ordering clothes online, either. I'm just grateful that we have the stores here. If my size isn't at the store, then I'll sometimes order it online.

Michael Kors has great plus size stuff. There's this MK denim structured jacket at Nordstrom that I want but it's over a $100 right now. I'm not usually a denim-jacket person, but this one is really cute. You could wear it with heels.

That's funny about the tag thing, damona, because I just saw a bigger girl today wearing a cute shirt, except the big navy Lane Bryant tag was hanging out. I wanted to tuck it in for her so badly, but I figured it would be weird to do on the street. Damn tags. Why would they put a rigid tag on a soft fashion top? It always flips out.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

+Quote Post
damona
post Jul 10 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #133

can i go to bed now?

i get most of my stuff from fashion bug or wal-mart. or thrift stores. lane bryant is where i go when i need something "dressy" like last year for my grandma's funeral i got a black skirt and blue and black top there. i'm wearing an ankle length pale-pink dress at the moment that i found at salvation army. it's super cool and comfy. i don't like shopping at wal-mart, but they're pretty cheap. it's not the greatest quality, that's for sure! they do have great pj's in plus sizes tho, i will give them that much. i don't shop online since i don't have any credit cards.

i used to try to cut out or hide tags or not fess up if it was from a "fat" store, but screw it, it's pretty obvious i ain't no size 8.

--------------------
"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos

+Quote Post
Divala
post Jul 10 2008, 11:37 AM
Post #134

Hardcore BUSTie

I've ordered a couple things off SizeAppeal. One of them was a pretty cool black going-out shirt with a cutout to show the top of my cleavage. I sure wish I hadn't outgrown it. The other is this awful purple peasanty thing that doesn't fit, has hanging stitches all over it, and is made of the crappiest tissue cotton I've ever seen. I'll probably never order from them again. I've got lousy luck ordering clothes online.

I ordered from Torrid once, probably 5 years ago. I had to bring every single thing I bought, except maybe a pair of undies, back to the store. It was all complete crap. Poodle and I bought matching skirts there a few years ago for Halloween costumes, which weren't bad, but I'd never buy from them again. That, and I have to dress like a grown-up, so I can't get away with cheap goth clothes anymore.

LB isn't my favorite, but I've found a few good things there recently. They're good for basics, and that's about it.

The plus-size store I'm loving on right now is Avenue. They've got a few locations in the TC metro area, and probably half my wardrobe is from there. They make normal clothes that you can wear to work in an office and the quality has mostly been really good thus far. I always go to them first when I need new shirts.

I think I have maybe 3 items of clothing from Nordstrom. I'm actually wearing one of them now, a pair of Michael Kors khakis I got on sale for more than I've ever paid for pants before in my life. They're comfy and cute, though, so I can justify it. I wish they'd bring their prices down, but I guess that's what Dayton's is for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pinkpoodle
post Jul 10 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #135

Size appeal is a bit too trendy for me. I like a more classic look. Either that, or I like something really vampy and vintage-looking. Mode Merr's return policy sucks, because the items are made to order. Fortunately, the girl made the skirt using my exact measurements (which have expanded since!). When I wore that thing out to a show, I could feel everyone looking at me probably because my look was so unusual and, on top of that, I'm fat!! The audacity!!

I'm willing to pay full price for an item as long as it fits and looks great. I wish Nordstrom wasn't so flippin' expensive, because they have great stuff on their website. Macy's ain't bad, but it's still a bit pricey for me. Torrid and LB are overpriced considering their quality. Ah well, it's better than wearing moo-moos.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 9 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #136

Big Fat Bitch

I've only ordered from Torrid once & that was for a pair of underpants & they fit just fine, so no drama. The only site I ever say absolutely stay away from is Sizeappeal. If I wanted swapmeet clothes, I'd go to a swapmeet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Jul 9 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #137

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(pinkpoodle @ Jul 9 2008, 02:54 PM) *
thirties, have you checked out Mode Merr? They have great vintage-looking stuff there. It's mostly 50's pin-up girlish. I have a pencil skirt and a peasant blouse from there. It makes me look like a pulp siren. I love it!! Not cheap though.

I have seen the Mode Merr website (which I discovered through their ads in Bust!). I love the clothes there, but as I work in education, I have to dress a little on the conservative side, so I haven't shopped there yet. For going out clothes, though, their stuff is perfect. ...Right now I have everything I need when it comes to going out, but the second I think of something else I want to add to my wardrobe, I'm definitely shopping on their site.

I don't mean to be a hater now, but I'm going to make a complaint about Torrid. Actually, a couple of them. One, I really dislike the return policies on their website. I feel they're waaayyy to stringent with the no returns on clearance items policy, and I really dislike all the hoops you have to jump through when you can return an item. You have to e-mail their website, wait for them to e-mail you back with the RA number and the return label, which you then have to print out and tape down on the return package. I've never had to do that much work when returning an item from any other online site. They usually include the return label in the package, often pre-paid, so all you have to do is put the item you want to return back in the package, affix the return label and drop it in a UPS pick-up box.

I also think Torrid way overprices their non-sale items. I find that a lot of their clothes are cheaply made, and I can find similar styles at the inexpensive Korean-owned mall stores like Mode Plus, Tempest, and Plus Size Dress-Up. And they don't cost me a fortune. As much as I love supporting stores that support the plus sized girl, I try to avoid shopping at Torrid.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 9 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #138

Big Fat Bitch

If I say I don't know where something came from it's cos I don't want some other bitch walkin' around in my shirt. That being said, outside of one bra & a single shirt, I have no LB. The intarwebs is a treasure trove of big girl clothes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pinkpoodle
post Jul 9 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #139

thirties, have you checked out Mode Merr? They have great vintage-looking stuff there. It's mostly 50's pin-up girlish. I have a pencil skirt and a peasant blouse from there. It makes me look like a pulp siren. I love it!! Not cheap though.

I read this great entry about Lane Bryant on Big Fat Deal. I'm sure most of you can relate!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Jul 8 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #140

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh geez, I'm such a fashion victim clothes horse, so this is the thread for me. Shopping?? No problem! I do a lot of it at Old Navy, too, particularly their plus sizes on the website (I'm glad they didn't get rid of them entirely!). I often shop JCPenney, as well. Some of their newer fashion lines in plus sizes have cute tops, like a.n.a. ('a new approach') with kind of a retro feel (which works for me, being a thirtiesgirl and all). For pants, I tend to stick to their career pants and twills with subtle striping, plaids or interesting takes on solid standards, like weird shades of olive-grey, grey-khaki, navy, tan, etc. I try to think 'Katherine Hepburn in African Queen' when I'm shopping for more casual pants. And like AP, I loves me some accessories: a funky bag, scarf, sunglasses, and SHOES... oh. my. god. - SHOES! Can we just say that a girl can never have too many shoes? At least this one can't. I'm literally running out of room in my apartment. I'm going to need a shoe intervention soon.

Thanks for the link to the Ballyhoo site, crinoline. I love vintage, but rarely find items in my size. I love that this site includes bust and waist sizes on the garments. I'll keep checking to see when they get new items. More shopping for me. Wheee!

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 2, 2014 - 08:58 PM