The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

27 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm Mad As Hell!!.... WORK SUCKS!!! rant thread dealing with everything!
sageykins
post Aug 16 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

BBLLLLEEECCCHHHHHH!! I'm sorry. Sheesh.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bob4both
post Aug 16 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

I used to date an OTA (still on good terms) that did home health (which is where I learned about it...and medical "ethics" as well!). She did home evaluations, therapy, etc. She was supposed to work under the OT, but it seems she had better therapy skills than most of her OTs cuz they spent so much time on the paperwork/regulatory side and so little on the actual therapy; I'd assume it's similar with PTs.

My situation; yes, confusing. The guy who was on family leave is back. He's supposed to replace me, but there needs to be a new hire to replace him first. The offer to the new hire was the ridiculously low offer. So if the new hire doesn't take it, it daisy-chains to me not getting replaced. I did not get all my backpay, so I sent a memo protesting their decision & made sure it was included in my personnel file. And I'm still doing 2 job...

--------------------
"Earth: The insane asylum for the universe..."

+Quote Post
sageykins
post Aug 15 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Bob- I'm in PT as a Physical Therapist Assistant- and have talked to some people, they have all liked it a lot. I can't yet do home health because I haven't been treating long enough to have my indirect license. As a PTA I can almost everything a PT can- except a few things, and one is that I must work 'under' a PT (or 5 smile.gif ha) and once I have my indirect license I could do home health, because they assume that with that many hours/years, I would be competent enough. Apparently I'm not yet smile.gif All of our patients have to be seen every day- I work in Skilled Nursing/Rehab and ours is such that therapy must be seen 5x/week for insurance, etc.

Things are better at work. The boss talked to me and did some arranging and has another call in covering my case load and I will have the following week off smile.gif! Which is great since I am looking to move and need to have time to pack and just not be there for a while.

So things are better, but I'm still looking at traveling. If you could give them my info, I'd love to ask questions, get agencies, etc. I can PM you my email.

I'm sorry your work situation isn't better. Gotta be frustrating. sad.gif Did the rest of your back pay come through yet? Did you actually get to start your new job or has that guy still not returned from paternity leave? Or is that him that they offered the spot to? (I'm slightly confused, sorry).
I hope it gets better soon!

+Quote Post
bob4both
post Aug 15 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

is there any polite way to tell someone you share space with that chewing with their mouth open is 100% grody and that it MUST STOP?

Yeah, pants, it goes like this..."knock it off you cud-chewing hog!" Or maybe what you said above would suffice!

Sagey; is your dept that tight that they can't reschedule patients; or does everyone have to be seen every day? That's the way it usually goes, though. The cooperative employees, or those tolerant enough to put up with the sh** usually get taken advantage of. As for travelling therapy, what type of therapist are you PT, OT? I know several of each & they love the home health field; flexible schedules, and not definately not boring. I dont know about travelling for other types of therapy, however.

An update on my situation, just cuz it gets funnier every day. They made the new health physicist an offer, but it was so ridiculously low he may actually lose money if he takes it! He had till this past Thursday to decide, but I haven't heard anything either way. So, back to the drawing board with him, or possibly consider the next candidate. A full month since my last post (that long already?) and nothing has changed.

"Sometimes you just gotta laugh to keep from crying!" HA!

--------------------

+Quote Post
pants
post Aug 12 2010, 06:41 AM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

is there any polite way to tell someone you share space with that chewing with their mouth open is 100% grody and that it MUST STOP?

--------------------
I am not a reliable narrator
This is a place where I talk about other stuff, and try to make it interesting.

+Quote Post
sageykins
post Aug 4 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

So I have asked for 2 days off this entire summer, and have worked at this job for almost 2 years. Today I asked for the Friday before Labor Day off. The boss told me another therapist had asked for it off, and so she would be off. She's been there less than a year, and has already had almost 2 weeks off this summer. So while I understand she asked earlier in the day, but on the same day, I would think that seniority and previous time off would play into it. I said, rather boldly, 'so if I had asked first I would be off and she would have to work?' The thing is, we have 3 people who are regular call in therapists, and another who has been coming in frequently the last few weeks. One of the regulars can't work, but she basically told me I would need to work a half day - no mention of the other regulars, no suggestion that something else be figured out.
This is incredibly frequent of the boss. She has her favorites, and while I bust my ass daily, spend time arguing with nursing for my patients, help everyone I can, and work incredibly hard, she apparently prefers the kiss ass-ing that the other therapist does. That therapist spent almost 2 hours, during work hours, on a conference call with her husband and a fertility clinic today.
Seriously.

Very much considering quitting this place and doing the traveling therapist gig. Anyone in healthcare have any opinions of the traveling deal? Contract companies?
Have had it.

+Quote Post
anarch
post Aug 2 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Awesome, foryoursplendor!

bob, I'm late to the party, but I hope things are better, or at least not worse.

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Jul 27 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Only 2 more weeks and I'll be done with the full time summer job, and I'll be on vacation!!! I don't think I could have worked like this for so long if I didn't have a vacation at the end of it. Finally, relaxation and fun.

+Quote Post
sageykins
post Jul 21 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh bob- they shouldn't have treated you so badly. SUCKY!! They better be paying you for both jobs, sheesh.
I came in to rant about my own frustrations, but honestly reading everyone else's is making me feel slightly better. I'm grateful for the girls I work with at least smile.gif And my patients are always a delight- well almost always. smile.gif

+Quote Post
bob4both
post Jul 16 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah, FYS; I'm with Ketto on this one. Feel no guilt for taking a sick day, or you may need to take MANY of them! I've tried a part-time with a full-time before. It really wears on you fast.

On a positive note (in my situation), a replacement for me was named, and I am finally seeing my raise in my salary. They promised my back pay and I saw most of that this past week. But there's always the other side of the coin...

My replacement is on "paternity" leave (I guess family leave is more like it) for a new baby for who-knows-how-long, so I can't start training him until he gets back! But wait, it gets better! HIS replacement, who he has to train first before coming to my group, has NOT been selected yet! I swear, the only reason I hang around is to see what's gonna happen next...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jul 13 2010, 01:54 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Bob, that's unbelievable. It's horrible being in a job where you're doing everything and not even getting appreciated for it.

FYS, I could not do that, physically or mentally. I used to be really bad about calling in sick, but I feel like a mental health day is justifiable when it comes to taking sick days. It's true its' your choice to work both jobs, but you need to take a break sometimes, especially since you've already been doing it since April.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Jul 12 2010, 06:45 AM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been working a full time and a part time job since the beginning of April. I've worked nearly every single day, I don't have weekends off, nothing. I'm calling in sick today because I really need a day off. I feel really bad doing it, I have a terrible conscience for these things because it is my choice to work 2 jobs and they shouldn't affect eachother. Augh.

Bob, that sucks big time. That's very unfortuante that they aren't looking at the entire situation and making changes for you. Nasty.

+Quote Post
bob4both
post Jul 9 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

OK, so this past March a manager quit and I was asked if I wanted the job. I said I was interested & would help fill in until the official offer was made. 10 weeks later they make a (lame) offer, which I countered. 3 weeks after that we settle on a decent offer. It's now been 15 weeks, they haven't selected a replacement for me to train so that I can go to my new position. I've been doing both jobs for the past 4 months; getting a little stressed that I'm not doing either job up to par because I'm doing both...and the other day my boss says that I "need to get my arms around what's happening in my department." Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

--------------------

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Jul 5 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey enfermera, it's going all right I'd say, thanks so much for asking! I'm working at an adult day care, so I have been alone a few times so far. It's my very first nursing job so I'm very nervous about everything and feel like I know absolutely nothing! I don't even know what to do when someone has a headache- I panic and think the worst! Everyone keeps telling me I know more than I think I do, but I'm not so sure...I did an accelerated nursing program that got me my RN in one year, so I feel like I haven't had the time to process the information or anything. I feel like it just all leaked out of my head and I can't remember a thing! I do love the patient interaction though and since I want to work in geriatrics I feel lucky that I get to start out working with my favorite population. Sometimes I wish I never went into nursing though and that I did something like social work, so I could still be helping out but not feel so responsible for them health-wise.

+Quote Post
enfermera
post Jul 5 2010, 01:43 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

how's it going, buttercups? are you seriously by yourself already? i've never been in that situation yet...are you working in a nursing home?

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Jul 4 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Aww thanks anarch! I do feel seriously incompetent, but thank you for making me feel like maybe that means I'm more competent than I think haha! I do know the exact overconfident type that this article describes, and a lot of times those are the people that make the most mistakes. I just wish I could feel some confidence in myself, but I guess that will come with time. Very interesting article though, thanks again!

+Quote Post
anarch
post Jul 3 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

jpeb, you know The Dilbert Principle? “leadership is nature's way of removing morons from the productive flow.”

QUOTE(buttercups @ Jun 18 2010, 02:13 PM) *
Had such a stressful day at work and feeling like what the hell am I doing? I don't think I can be a nurse and I feel like a fraud when I'm at work because I have NO idea what I'm doing.

(((buttercups)))

If you don't know about this study, you should read about it:

Most incompetent people do not know that they are incompetent. On the contrary. People who do things badly, Dunning has found in studies conducted with a graduate student, Justin Kruger, are usually supremely confident of their abilities -- more confident, in fact, than people who do things well. . . . Unlike unskilled counterparts, the most able subjects in the study, Kruger and Dunning found, were likely to underestimate their competence.

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Jul 2 2010, 02:33 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi jpeb! Please stop by and introduce yourself in the newbies thread (I've bumped it for you in 'Ladies who lounge').

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
jpeb808
post Jul 1 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #19

why is it that people in the work place that do jack shit seem to always get promoted quickly? what the hell am i doing wrong? Caring too much....

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Jun 18 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Had such a stressful day at work and feeling like what the hell am I doing? I don't think I can be a nurse and I feel like a fraud when I'm at work because I have NO idea what I'm doing. I'm scared every second that I'm going to mess up and I have zero confidence whatsoever. Today was my first time being left alone and when I had to make a big decision I was terrified. I've spent all afternoon worrying about it. I can see now how nurses get burned out. I want to help people but all I feel like I'm capable of doing is harming them. Even though no one got hurt today, I still feel completely incompetent and stupid. I don't like being the only medical person responsible when I just passed my damn exam in March. i dont know if i can do this, nursing is scary as hell. what on earth was i thinking??

+Quote Post

27 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 20, 2014 - 01:46 PM