The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NYC Busties: Does it have to be August to make plans?
girlbomb
post Dec 27 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

So immediately after I post the post below, the subject of the post writes and says he's sorry, and that he's been going through a hard time, and now I feel like an asshole for berating him. I can't seem to find a way to edit the post below, so I guess I'll let it stand. I don't know how many times I've told myself: Don't post anything to the internet while angry! But god knows, if I never posted while angry, I'd never post. Heh.

Still hoping all BUSTies, NYC and otherwise, are very well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
girlbomb
post Dec 27 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey there, NY Busties. I can't remember who here originally introduced me to photographer Andrew Marks, but I'm about to go ballistic on him, and I just wanted to know if there was any good reason why I should not do so.

Here's the story: I used him in 2005 for my author photo, and I liked him and the shots I got. I recommended him to a friend, who used him for head shots -- he took a while getting her the photos, but ultimately she liked him and the photos, so I went ahead and hired him again to take photos at my wedding. Again, it took a few months to get the photos, but they were nice enough, and he was nice enough, so okay.

I asked him to shoot the GEMS benefit in May of this year. As detailed in a post below, GEMS is an organization that helps young women, ages 13 and up, who have been victims of commercial sexual exploitation -- i.e., who have been prostituted by adult men to adult men. Many of them were kidnapped, coerced, beaten, raped, and terrorized. They're all amazing young survivors, and I love them dearly. At the benefit, they read their poems and stories, sang, rapped, danced, showed off, and had fun, for a change. They were dressed to the nines -- I'd arranged to get everyone's hair done special for the event, and a stylist friend donated her services to dress them. I asked that other guests refrain from taking pictures, as I didn't want the girls' privacy compromised, and I knew that Andrew was there to get all the shots we might want.

I gave Andrew a check for $600 that night. I have received one photo from the event. That was seven months ago.

I have sent numerous emails and left messages, but Andrew refuses to get back to me. I have posted queries to him on Facebook, and he has deleted my posts. So he can delete my posts, but he can't get me the fucking pictures of the GEMS girls. Why?

Every time I go to GEMS, the girls ask me when they're getting their photos. Every time, I have to tell them I don't think I'm ever going to get them. They are so disappointed and angry. As am I. He currently has testimonials on his website from my husband and my best friend. I have paid him more than fairly for a number of gigs. That he is choosing to blow me off is fine; that he's choosing to blow the GEMS girls off is unacceptable.

So is he incredibly depressed? Addicted to something? Physically unwell? Did I do something to deserve this treatment, something I'm not aware of? Is there some other side to this story that I'm not understanding? Because I am seriously about to go shithouse on him, and I am EXTREMELY creative and dedicated to my cause when I am angry.

Any information would be most appreciated. I hope all the NYC Busties are very well, and hope to see some of you around and about sometime...

+Quote Post
starshine
post Aug 24 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

So I'm coming to New York next Monday (Aug 31st) for the first time and would love if anyone had ideas of what to do that's a little off the beaten track. I'll be there until Saturday afternoon, September 5th and I'm staying in Manhattan's Lower Eastside.

What I'd really like to do is find an indie craft market, explore Brooklyn (not too sure why, I just have a feeling that it would be amazing), eat some vegan or vegetarian food, and perhaps visit a great feminist organization or woman's centre, or go to an event like the GEMS party that girlbomb was mentioning. I work with women, children and youth who have experienced violence and/or exploitation so anything along those lines would be really interesting. Also, I'd really like to see some live music and burlesque.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, or if you have a personal must-see that you'd like to share, I would love your input.

Thanks NYC busties!

--------------------

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Aug 20 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #4

brown delicious

Good to know you remember this thread. If you can, please introduce or reintroduce yourself in the Newbie Thread. Thanks!

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
Qball2300
post Aug 20 2009, 06:04 PM
Post #5

I can't believe this thread still has the same title, it has got to be from as far back as 2001.

+Quote Post
anna k
post Jul 29 2009, 09:22 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

I could do a meetup.

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Jul 27 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm going to be visiting NYC with my moms in three weeks. Is anyone interested in a meet-up? It IS August after all, too.

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post May 9 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(girlbomb @ May 8 2009, 09:46 AM) *

Actually, as past experience has proved, it would be great to see some of you anywhere. Remember, it doesn't have to be August for NYC BUSTies to make plans!

lol

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
girlbomb
post May 8 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Sorry to be a noodging spammer, but this awesome party for GEMS is tonight, and it would be great to see some of you there.

http://tinyurl.com/GEMSparty

Actually, as past experience has proved, it would be great to see some of you anywhere. Remember, it doesn't have to be August for NYC BUSTies to make plans!

+Quote Post
girlbomb
post Apr 19 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm not going to the spring fling, but maybe other BUSTies will chime in with an affirmative?

In the meantime, I just wanted to drop by and invite all NYC-area BUSTies to a party to celebrate the 10th birthday of an organization called GEMS, which helps girls escape commercial sexual exploitation.

GEMS was the subject of a recent Showtime documentary called "Very Young Girls," a film that starts with the sobering statistic that the average age of entry into the sex trade in the US is thirteen. The film has started to raise greater awareness of the issue of domestic trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation, and celebrities including Beyonce, Ashton & Demi, Ellen, and Diddy have been getting on board the GEMS cause.

Join them in supporting this amazing organization! Pay what you can, and come to the Bowery Poetry Club, 308 Bowery at First St., on Friday, May 8 from 6-10pm for dancing with DJ Jools Palmer, cupcakes by Sugar Sweet Sunshine, a reading by GEMS founder Rachel Lloyd (whose upcoming memoir, ACCEPTABLE VICTIMS, is astounding), and brief readings some of the GEMS girls who have been taking my weekly writing workshop there. I know the girls would LOVE your support!

I'll be reading and hosting, but I'll also be dancing and celebrating! I hope you can come and dance and celebrate too.

Here's the invite: http://tinyurl.com/GEMSparty2
And the Facebook page: http://tinyurl.com/GEMSparty

Please feel free to send the invite to friends!

Thanks. smile.gif

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Mar 17 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Is anyone going to the spring fling?

--------------------
you cannot erase the reality of me

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Jan 10 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks Anna K

--------------------

+Quote Post
anna k
post Jan 10 2009, 12:07 PM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

There's a series of photographs by Eudora Welty at the Museum of the City of New York, plus a Marc Chagall exhibit at the Museum of Biblical Art. There's also the Dance on Film festival at Lincoln Center. You can check out Time Out New York or The Village Voice for more things to do.

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Jan 10 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Does anyone know of any worthwhile exhibits or shows happening in Brooklyn or Manhattan this weekend? I want to hang out with a girlfriend here, but we're stuck for something to do/see.

--------------------

+Quote Post
futura
post Dec 8 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi all.

This January i will be visiting NYC along with 2 of my friends. I'm really excited about it; i was in NYC in 04 and i look forward to going back.
I was wondering if you guys might have advice on things like where to go, what to see...

Hope your benefit turns out well, Girlbomb!

--------------------
"It was when I found out I could make mistakes that I knew I was on to something"- Ornette Coleman

+Quote Post
girlbomb
post Nov 25 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey, NYC ladies, I'm throwing a women-only clothing swap and benefit screening of the Showtime documentary "Very Young Girls," to benefit GEMS, an organization that helps girls leave the sex trade. It's on Sunday, Jan. 4 at 5pm -- email me for details if you'd like to be on the guest list. Should be rocking -- hope to see some of you there!

+Quote Post
MissE13
post Aug 20 2008, 01:27 PM
Post #17

Does anyone know where non-photo booth pictures from the party can be found? There were a few people taking pics during the pre-party, but it was so loud I couldn't hear the name of the website they said their pics would be posted on.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Jezebel
post Aug 19 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #18

BUSTie

Lilith and I went. We had a good time, but then it's kinda hard to go wrong with goodie bags and free subscriptions and cocktails and busties and a great view of NYC wink.gif

http://evilslutopia.com/2008/08/bust-15th-...sary-party.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
anna k
post Aug 14 2008, 04:52 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

I wanted to, but I had some personal problems and couldn't go. I was disappointed.

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Aug 13 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Did anyone go to the Bust Party?

--------------------

+Quote Post

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 29, 2014 - 04:59 PM