The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yeast infection--experienced advice, anyone?
NelleNamtrah
post Sep 15 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #1

CODE
[quote name='chachaheels' date='Jun 18 2008, 07:00 AM' post='201658']
Well, here's my .02 cents on what's going on with you, dirtyprettything:

4. Remove any mechanical causes: the major one for women is the use of the Birth Control pill. It alters the hormone balance in the body so dramatically and for such an extended period of time that it takes years of hard work to try and restore it--meantime, you are supremely susceptible to any illness, especially parasitical ones like yeast. Consider using other methods of birth control, there are lots of alternatives, including natural ones which won't screw around with your hormonal state (and will actually work with it, instead of against it).

Chachaheels:

I'm on oral BC because it's been the only thing I can find that relieves the pain and constant bleeding caused by my endometriosis. And believe me, I've tried a lot of things.

Do you think that taking the big-dose acidophilous as a preventative measure (a prophylactic, so to speak) will help to counteract the BC to prevent yeast infections?

Thanks for all of your posts...you're really helpful!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Sep 14 2008, 03:20 AM
Post #2

What helped me treat my Yeast Infection was I used Boric Acid powder which I put in a capsule and then inserted vaginally. I bought it online. I used it for 14 days before I went to bed. That's like the only thing that Doctor's prescribe to kill stubborn Yeast Infections, that you can find online without buying illegally, that actually works.

Best Wishes from Sweaty in Social Studies

+Quote Post
sweetwilma
post Sep 6 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #3

We with yeast issues sometimes overlook the fact that our male sex partners reinfect us. In most cases, men have no symptoms when they do have a y infection and are often not motivated to treat it, especially if they are casual or infrequent partners. Diabetic males can have severe symptoms. If you are having chronic y infections, has your provider thought to test for high blood sugar readings which may point to diabetes?

To avoid excessive wetness, we must dress so as to allow maximum evaporation of water from the pelvic area. Evaporation causes cooling and thus less sweating and helps to break the moisture cycle. Sleeping without underwear helps. Another tip is to avoid reinfection from jeans and other pants which might be worn for several days at a time without changing. This habit combined with no panties is often a factor.

The old blow dryer is useful after bathing to aid in reducing moisture. For really bad cases, if you are already taking oral contraceptive, you could try delaying your period 2-3 cycles so as not to feed the yeast with menstrual fluid.

When using hydrogen peroxide and maybe boric acid, is there a risk of causing tissue damage like severe irritation and thereby making things worse. Salt water bathes, if too strong, can cause tissue damage by burning vaginal tissue. This happens when a too strong concentration of salt water causes water to diffuse from the vaginal tissue into the bath solution. The same things happens to plants when too much fertilizer is applied. In this case, the fertilizer is the solute that causes water to diffuse out of plant tissues. Be careful with concentration levels.

+Quote Post
konphusion26
post Aug 9 2008, 02:34 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(geekchickknits @ Aug 8 2008, 02:35 PM) *
Hormonal BC increases the amount of and slightly thickens the consistancy of my vaginal discharge, but it's not a yeast infection (no burning/itching)

Are you sure it's not just that?

Well the last few times its happened, I thought it was BV because it had a slight odor along with the itching and discharge. When the doc tested me, it was yeast every time. Which was odd! This time the symptoms look and feel exactly the same. I'm going to try tea tree oil and see what happens, that's supposed to get rid of yeast and bv right? I refuse to go give those folks another $20 copay for them to tell me what i already know LOL.

--------------------
Faith is hoping for and believing in things you cannot see!

+Quote Post
geekchickknits
post Aug 8 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Aug 6 2008, 06:30 PM) *
I have been keeping an eye on things "down there" since I took the last ring out, had my period, then put the new ring in. BAM - after 3 days, more irritation and discharge. I don't know if the ring is the sole cause of me getting recurrent yeast/irritation, but it's definitely contributing to it. My body apparently does NOT like having it up there. But I love not having to worry about getting pregnant... I really don't want to give it up *especially if it's not the cause*! Seems like it doesn't matter what I do, I'm just prone to getting yeast infections and discharge at any time and frequently. The doctors can't give me an answer either. I'm taking probiotics and I try to keep everything clean and dry down there when I can. Blah! Its kinda depressing! I don't know what else to do at this point. With it being so hot here, I sweat like crazy. That's kinda unavoidable (even when using powder and such!).

Suggestions???

Hormonal BC increases the amount of and slightly thickens the consistancy of my vaginal discharge, but it's not a yeast infection (no burning/itching)

Are you sure it's not just that?

+Quote Post
konphusion26
post Aug 7 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(chachaheels @ Aug 7 2008, 09:42 PM) *
Wait, you're using powder down there?

Talc powder? Please tell me more.

Talc must be avoided, vaginally. It's not good for mucous membranes, it's actually an irritant and it shouldn't go into the body at all. Corn starch is a better option, but it also shouldn't be used near the vagina.

Do you think the powders might be a factor, because if you're using it every day, I do!

Very rarely do I use it, but i only put it on my inner thighs and the "crease" where the hip and pelvis meet (if that makes any sense), and even then it wasn't much. I tried not to get any on the vaginal area at all. I honestly haven't done that in the last year or so though. It didn't keep the sweat or moisture at bay so it was kinda pointless. I was just trying stuff to see if it would work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Aug 7 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Wait, you're using powder down there?

Talc powder? Please tell me more.

Talc must be avoided, vaginally. It's not good for mucous membranes, it's actually an irritant and it shouldn't go into the body at all. Corn starch is a better option, but it also shouldn't be used near the vagina.

Do you think the powders might be a factor, because if you're using it every day, I do!

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
konphusion26
post Aug 6 2008, 05:30 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

I have been keeping an eye on things "down there" since I took the last ring out, had my period, then put the new ring in. BAM - after 3 days, more irritation and discharge. I don't know if the ring is the sole cause of me getting recurrent yeast/irritation, but it's definitely contributing to it. My body apparently does NOT like having it up there. But I love not having to worry about getting pregnant... I really don't want to give it up *especially if it's not the cause*! Seems like it doesn't matter what I do, I'm just prone to getting yeast infections and discharge at any time and frequently. The doctors can't give me an answer either. I'm taking probiotics and I try to keep everything clean and dry down there when I can. Blah! Its kinda depressing! I don't know what else to do at this point. With it being so hot here, I sweat like crazy. That's kinda unavoidable (even when using powder and such!).

Suggestions???

--------------------

+Quote Post
dirtyprettything
post Jul 25 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #9

BUSTie

Hey ladies!

I just wanted to give you the latest update. My issues hadn't gone away (it's been 2 months) so I finally went to see my doctor. He thinks its most likely Bacterial Vaginosis, however we wont know for sure until the test results come back. So, more waiting.

+Quote Post
geekchickknits
post Jul 25 2008, 08:09 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Jul 24 2008, 02:33 PM) *
Hi geekchick! I too am on Nuvaring, and although I haven't really taken the time to make the connection, its a high possibility that is why I keep getting yeasties. I've found that using the boric acid capsules helps tremendously. Perhaps I should start monitoring when I have the ring in. I've also read somewhere *forgive me not remembering where* that the Nuvaring can cause recurrent yeast infections. But I love the freedom the ring gives for bc.

I love it too - I haven't had yeasties until this point, so I don't think it's tied to the ring, but I worry that the ring will cause it to linger. Today I removed the ring while in the shower and rinsed it off and washed myself, and then gave it one last rinse before reinserting it. It actually made a marked difference so far today.

+Quote Post
konphusion26
post Jul 24 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(geekchickknits @ Jul 24 2008, 02:03 PM) *
I've had to go on anti-biotics to clear up a sinus/chest infection, and as predicted, I'm having some yeast issues. I've been good about taking double doses of acidofolous to try and counteract, and may look into some other options, but more I'm concern about using any kind of suppository treatment as I'm on NuvaRing. Anyone have experience dealing with yeast and the nuvaring?

Hi geekchick! I too am on Nuvaring, and although I haven't really taken the time to make the connection, its a high possibility that is why I keep getting yeasties. I've found that using the boric acid capsules helps tremendously. Perhaps I should start monitoring when I have the ring in. I've also read somewhere *forgive me not remembering where* that the Nuvaring can cause recurrent yeast infections. But I love the freedom the ring gives for bc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
geekchickknits
post Jul 24 2008, 11:46 AM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

I've had to go on anti-biotics to clear up a sinus/chest infection, and as predicted, I'm having some yeast issues. I've been good about taking double doses of acidofolous to try and counteract, and may look into some other options, but more I'm concern about using any kind of suppository treatment as I'm on NuvaRing. Anyone have experience dealing with yeast and the nuvaring?

+Quote Post
NelleNamtrah
post Jun 27 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #13

Ladies,

When I found this thread, I almost started crying because I was so happy to find that other people are experiencing the same issues and searching for the same solutions that I am. Last month, I was diagnosed with BV after almost a year of experiencing that nasty smell, without ever realizing it was an actual problem. P.P. prescribed antibiotics (I was hesitant, but sick of the smell) and of course I ended up with a yeast infection, my first in probably 15 years.

It was pretty bad because it struck while I was traveling in Europe and couldn't figure out how to describe the problem in German, so I waited till I got home to deal with it. Big mistake because now it's pretty entrenched. I treated the worst of it with tea tree oil and salt water rinses, but there's still a lingering itch occasionally. I'm taking the probiotics now and am planning to go to the pharmacy tomorrow and get some boric acid. I also rediscovered kombucha tea, which seems like a good idea at any rate.

Thanks to chachaheels for your rational-sounding advice on diet. I've been reading scary posts online about eliminating all starches, sugars, fruits, carbs, basically everything but meats and vegetables. I realize that a cleanse that deep may be necessary for some, but hopefully not me. It was nice to read that I'm craving sugar right now because my body's out of whack right now, not because I'm bad (I don't even really have a sweet tooth!).

I'm on oral contraceptives and don't plan to get off them anytime soon because they're doing wonders for the pain of my endometriosis, which was bad enough to keep me in bed for days at a time. I've never had any vaginal trouble before now, and I couldn't help but notice that the BV started around the same time I started dating my partner. I'll see if he'll agree to some treatment too, in case he's the trouble.

+Quote Post
kinkaju
post Jun 21 2008, 10:50 PM
Post #14

BUSTie

thank you ChaCha, smile.gif -- I honestly never suspected the soy products mentioned as something to watch out for...

--------------------

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jun 18 2008, 06:00 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, here's my .02 cents on what's going on with you, dirtyprettything:

1. Stop buying the over the counter yeast stuff. They are nothing but anti-biotics and anti-fungals, and their overuse in general has made them universally ineffective. Besides, even when they were effective (years ago, when the overuse hadn't yet made the yeast/fungus resistant through exposure), they were only good for temporary relief. Hell, my general take was if they didn't suppress your body's symptoms all together, that was a good sign that you were still healthy and strong and your body was still insisting that you pay attention to whatever is wrong to produce those symptoms.

But now they just make you weaker over all, because they wipe out microflora you need to deal with yeast overgrowth in the first place.

2. Time to beef up on replacing that microflora in the gut--it needs to be there anyway, it can't regenerate itself after antibiotic use, so you need to take some steps.

Use a very high microorganism count acidophilus and bifidus probiotic. The ones I recommend are costly, they have far more microorganisms than the stuff you find added to yogurt or available over the counter at the health food store. They are:
Seroyal/Genestra HMF Replete, (which is nothing but human microflora--so perfectly safe for vegans to use as well as everyone else). It's a formulation made to help restore severely depleted HMF. I recommend, in your case DPT, 2 whole weeks' worth of the stuff, so two packages. Take one package a day, every day, for 14 days. I think your symptoms will stop--after that you will have to maintain the microflora populations by eating lots of lactofermented foods, lots of active culture foods (like real yogurt) and use a high microorganism count over the counter acidophilus pill as part of your supplement regime.

An alternative to the Genestra brand is New Roots Herbals' Ultra Max 36 Billion Plus--you can use twice the dose of this product for 2 weeks, then drop down to regular dosing on a daily basis for a month or so after wards.

The Genestra brand is usually a practitioner driven product, hard to find in health food stores--but you can order it easily on line. It's expensive, but it works really well. The New Roots Herbal is a health food store consumer brand and easier to find if you go to the actual store. But it can also be easily found on-line. You may be able to order both from the same supplier.

That should help replace your intestinal flora--without which you haven't a hope of keeping yeast or fungal overgrowth in check, or of fighting off recurrent urinary tract infections.

3. Topical treatments: include Boric Acid pessaries (look for them at a pharmacy with a compounding lab, you need 600g Boric acid per pessary), Boiron Calendula Ovules (they come in packages of 6--you may be able to order them directly from Boiron's website); salt water baths on a daily basis to soothe the tissues; yogurt douches or topical applications;

4. Remove any mechanical causes: the major one for women is the use of the Birth Control pill. It alters the hormone balance in the body so dramatically and for such an extended period of time that it takes years of hard work to try and restore it--meantime, you are supremely susceptible to any illness, especially parasitical ones like yeast. Consider using other methods of birth control, there are lots of alternatives, including natural ones which won't screw around with your hormonal state (and will actually work with it, instead of against it).

Also, if you've got a partner, make sure he's treated for yeast as well--it can be passed back and forth between partners (this happens all the time. Put him on a probiotic treatment, have him apply topical treatments too. If he's got facial hair, ask him to remove it as it is conducive to fungal proliferation--and contact with it will just keep the ailment going back and forth.

5. Finally, recurrent UTI's always ring an alarm bell for me: can you get to a walk in clinic which can perform some tests for you?

Sometimes the UTI's indicate high levels of e.coli--signifying difficulties with elimination, and the organ that involves in the urinary tract is the kidney. In my own experience I've found they often preceed kidney stones--(in more than one case I know, the stones resulted from the use of a prescription drug given to treat "acid reflux"--so you'd never think, but it does make sense...).

Kidney stones are hugely painful to pass, they often "get stuck" and become an obstruction to kidney function (which is really, really important for good health). I would want to make sure nothing of that kind of thing is happening with you, DPT--and I'd want to rule that out. It would be far easier (and wiser) to use methods for breaking up the stones to make them passable without too much pain or difficulty, and restore full function to the kidney (which might finally stop the UTI's and the yeast infections from recurring) than to just endlessly focus on the end result of what's really going on, and just keep treating the yeast over and over again.

I hope some of this is helpful, and I'm sorry you're having so much difficulty with your symptoms. Let me know how it goes, okay?

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
dirtyprettything
post Jun 13 2008, 09:15 AM
Post #16

BUSTie

Hey ladies,

I want to know what you think about my situation. Two weeks ago, I noticed some burning with urination and thought maybe it was the start of a UTI (which I'm prone to), but it didn't have that familiar cramping ache that I'm used to. Next thing I know, it developed into what I thought was a yeast infection (CRAZY itching, milky discharge -smells cheesy, sorry if that's tmi-, all of those familiar symptoms), so I picked up a cream and one of those 3 day drug store packs to deal with it: No change, and the itching was joined by burning. So, I waited a bit and then tried the yogurt treatment, had salt baths, drank tons of cranberry juice just in case, and picked up the 7 day treatment from the drug store.

Now, it's been two weeks and it's not gone. I mean, the symptoms have lessened considerably, but it still burns when I pee and things just don't feel right. I still have a bit of a discharge and the itchiness comes and goes (though it's VERY mild compared to what it was).

Unfortunately, my doctor is booked solid for another two weeks, and I can't seem to find any treatments at my local health food stores. I need this gone. I miss sex, big time, but I'm not willing to go for it if this isn't gone gone GONE. So, what do you guys think? I'm starting to wonder if its something else, but I don't know what to do in the mean time.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post May 28 2008, 05:55 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

Not only is it easier to pay for, it's a much easier thing from which to recover.

Some things you can do to support getting well:

The old cranberry juice routine--unsweetened, you can buy it in concentrate form which you can dilute: this actually acidifies the affected tissue in the bladder and urethra and makes it inhospitable to the microorganisms thriving on the infection.

If you're given anti-biotics (and you will be, if you've an infection) you'll definitely have to take steps to repair the damage they'll cause or you will end up with a severe yeast infection.

I've found a number of new, high microflora count acidophilus/bifidus pro-biotic formulas on the market recently. You'll need to take these religiously after you've finished your course of anti-biotics. I know taking them on a maintenance basis, even before you get infections in the bladder or yeast infections, can ensure your body's healthy enough to cure itself of these small problems (they really are small, but most of us are so chronically depleted and things like anti-biotics and the birth control pill really do debilitate our body's ability to heal itself). But the fact that the infection hasn't been looked after successfully by the body indicates that you need to give it what it requires in order to do this when it needs to.

If you're looking for a non-dairy source, there are some powerful ones on the market--they're pricey but they cost less than a yeast infection! I like using Genestra Seroyal's HMF Replete seven day formula, which is sourced from human microflora; but I've found New Roots makes a pretty good Ultra Max formulation which contains 36 billion live organisms. You want to look for a product with at least this number of live organisms. These products cost about 30 to 50 dollars for a package, but they effectively re-establish your own body's microflora after it becomes wiped out by antibiotics.
The less expensive, less populated formulations can be taken on a daily basis afterwards, to maintain the healthy state. They will not work as a treatment, they're much better as a support for keeping a healthy body healthy.

Good luck, I certainly hope this heals up quickly for you so you can get back to being healthy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
artstar
post May 26 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for your response, ChaCha. Guess it's off to the doctor soon then. I didn't say it was worthless. It did cost me some extra money due to lack of health insurance but I admitted it eased my mind. Did nothing for my burning vagina but it did let me know that it wasn't anything serious. I know my pap smear results came back normal, thank god.
I haven't had sex in a year, so I'm not sure it could be the spermicide. My one concern now is that it is a bladder infection, which I know if you don't get treated can become serious, so I think I might just head to the doctor to be safe. I'd rather pay for a visit there, I guess, than one for the emergency room.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post May 26 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

Kinkaju, if you're eating a lot of carbs, sugar, and beer--there's one big change I'd like to see you make to your diet. A daily dose of an extremely high quality B vitamin complex supplemented by a daily 5000mcg dose of B12 in methylcobalamin form, taken as a sublingual lozenge, oral drops, or the equivalent by injection. Your dependency on these foods always make me think that B vitamins are lacking. We don't get them from grains anymore because almost no commercial grain foods or flowers have actually been milled or ground in such a way that spares their nutrients, particularly their B vitamins. To make things even more dangerous--they're usually "fortified" with excess highly absorbable iron. This is poison for you, trust me on that.

You'll find your cravings for sugar and refined flour and beer will lessen considerably once you're on these nutrients.

Other dietary recommendations involve adding a lot more leafy greens to your diet, restricting the amount of fruits and fruit juices you eat, adding fats such as coconut oil and some kind of high quality combined essential fatty acid blend which has fish oil and oil of evening primrose.

You'll also do very well if you add lacto-fermented foods to your diet: real lacto-fermented pickles, sauerkraut, kombucha teas, full fat yogurt with live cultures and lots of whey.

Cut out all soy foods which are not fermented (tofu and miso are fermented--soy "pseudo" foods, such as soy milk, fake cheeses, meets, etc--these are all detrimental to your health. Avoid them at all costs).

--------------------

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post May 26 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

In my experience with patients, hormonal change is the number one cause of yeast. Burning and itching isn't always yeast, though: if you've had a work up done and tests to rule out more serious diseases with the same symptoms, and they've come back negative, you may be reacting to the use of condoms or sponges treated with nonoxydol-9 as their spermicide. Or, you may have used a spermicide with this ingredient. It's notoriously irritating and can cause urinary tract infections and yeast like discharges.

The other big cause: birth control pill use, change in birth control pill use, changes in prostaglandin production (which can happen if the right fats are cut out of the diet, or if you're on a regime taking or using salicylic acid (aspirin). Generally, period flows which lessen in volume aren't a great sign (periods are all about flushing out spent proteins, wastes from reparative processes in the body, excess hormones in the blood, non-viable conceptions, etc...when they get "lighter" after being relatively moderate, then your body may have been less active at doing its health maintenance).

Please don't think of your expense for your tests as "money spent on nothing". That was money spent to make sure you weren't actually producing symptoms from very serious diseases. I'm not sure why people think that's worthless: if I had cancer but I thought it was just a yeast infection, I'd bloody well like to know so I could treat the cancer and get well, not treat the yeast and grow sicker.

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 27, 2014 - 01:03 PM