The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yeast infection--experienced advice, anyone?
chachaheels
post Jul 28 2006, 02:03 PM
Post #201

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeast infection is just another name for fungal infection. It sounds like whatever your now-ex boy had is what you've got--it's easy to infect and re-infect one another with yeast/fungus. It doesn't matter
"who started it" so much cause it's almost impossible to tell...if you have a yeast infection you may pass it on to your partner, where it will show up as a fungal infection (like jock itch). You can be asymptomatic and still pass it on--yeast overgrowth can happen internally as well as on the skin surface, particularly where the skin is usually damp, covered, and warm. There are an abundance of sweat glands around the genitalia, and we all have to wear clothes...so it's an ideal place for fungus and yeast to proliferate. If we could all walk around in the sun with our fun parts exposed, we'd probably never have to deal with yeast infections again...but I digress.

All of the suggestions here--acidophilus/bifidus pills with a high number of live organisms (10 billion organisms is a good number, I think) to take orally, or acidophilus/bifidus capsules to insert vaginally; garlic (again, eaten and used internally); boric acid suppositories; tea tree oil applied with a tampon; are viable. People have found relief with all of these methods. Salt water baths (or, if you can do it, swimming in the ocean) are also very soothing and healing...if you look in the archives here there are a lot of different options you can select to use or use in combination.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Jul 28 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #202

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey everyone, I've got a question I'd appreciate some guidance on: I've got some mad itching on my external girly bits, and also some itching/burning during sex. It feels similar, but perhaps not exactly like, the one yeast infection I've had. I'm reluctant to treat it as yeast because my (now ex-) boyfriend had some sort of mild jock itch (or something) for several weeks when we were sexually active, so I'm wondering if I've got some sort of fungal thing going on instead. I'm out of town and can't get to my doctor, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on this. How do I know just what I've got and what to do about it? Cheers.

Sorry about the double post. I just want to add one more important detail: no chance of this being an STI.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jul 27 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #203

Hardcore BUSTie

Funny thing about that ever elusive male pill...when I was about 10 years old, I read a little article in the newspaper declaring that scientists were working on the pill with great concentration...and that it would be available for men to use in about 10 years. The pill was a big thing when I was that age--a family close to ours had just lost a daughter as a result of her use of the pill; so it was always being talked about around our house, and the pill was so "new" that it was always being written about or talked about somewhere--same with the "men's pill".

Well, when I was in my 20's, I recall reading another, similar article...
and, yet, no pill. None of the men I knew had heard anything about it...(none of them expressed any desire for it, either).

Then, in my 30's, the "news" about the male contraceptive pill was that it was still "10 years off..."

And now I'm in my 40's and that pill is still elusive.

NFP is as effective as the pill, and if you use one of those fertility computers you can be even more accurate about the times when you can and can't conceive. If you actually chart the patterns of your cycle you'll know ahead of time when you can be spontaneous (or, if you may be fertile, you'll know when you need to be prepared in order to be spontaneous). There's a thread devoted to this which lists a number of sources you might want to check out so that you and your man can think about using it instead of the pill. After all, you're doing so much better without it, your drive's returned...how can anyone ask you to go back on, given the benefits you're experiencing?

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Jul 27 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #204

belligerently lazy

Thanks for the input, blanchedeveraux! I hope that at least your infection clears up. That's so odd that you haven't had one in years, and suddenly you get one. Can you think of a possible cause?

And thanks again, chachaheels-it's very helpful to be aware of these things. But I have to say, that I've been off the pill for 2 1/2 weeks now and the infection seems to have vanished completely (knock on wood). I've felt so much better mentally and emotionally as well. Not to mention the return of my nearly forgotten libido. But I'm now stuck with finding a new contraception that won't give me bad side effects and doesn't reduce physical sensitivity. My bf has pledged to take the elusive male pill the second it is available in the U.S. I'm sure there are some evil conservative social politics holding it back..

--------------------
I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you if you don't watch your step.
-Matt Groening, Life in Hell

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jul 17 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #205

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm happy you found it helpful, humanist77! If you don't mind, I have a few suggestions you might also find helpful in re-balancing things and in supporting your body back to a healthier state.

The cravings you're describing sound like they are pointing up a mineral deficiency--you might want to try supplementing your diet with magnesium, and to a certain extent, iron. Whenever someone tells me they are craving dark chocolate I interpret this more as a craving for chocolate itself (which is a drug, actually); I think they crave sugar when the "chocolate" they eat is a milk chocolate candy bar, or just milky chocolate.
You, my dear, are craving chocolate as a drug. That indicates a need for trace minerals, magnesium, and (my favourite) a chemically altered state of being. Chocolate as a drug does create a sense of euphoria and comfort.

Stress is never going to go away--that will never change (until we die, actually, as everything we do in life is a response to stress--even things as seemingly effortless as breathing). The only thing we can do about particularly destructive stressors is change our means of responding to them.

B12 and folic acid go a long way to helping you react to stress more effectively; herbs like rhodiola and relora, or Holy Basil extract as well, can make a huge difference to someone who is so overstressed that things like blood sugar levels and insulin receptivity are affected. You might want to consider adding one of these herbs (Holy Basil is actually very potent and quite effective) as a supplement to your diet for a month or so to see if you feel any helpful changes.

I always think the birth control pill exerts a massive influence on hormone balance, so I'm glad you're able to see a significant difference simply by coming off the pill for a short time. To be honest, I am very suspicious about the birth control pill and I do believe it ultimately deprives us of our sex drives and predisposes us to serious diseases (cancers among them) even though plenty of the studies used to sell the drug don't tell us this (though a variety of medical researchers, many of them female oddly enough, seem to find these results in their studies all the time...hmmm). I also realise, however, that many women so desperately want to control their own fertility and determine their own sexual activity level, and for many the pill is accessible and convenient, so it's a fact of life I'm always working around whenever I deal with patients.

Anyway, I think I'm being a bit overwhelming right now--but these are just a couple of nutritional options to try out while you're taking your pill break. If you want to know which forms of minerals or vitamins you'd do best on, just let me know. Hope you find your yeast symptoms abate significantly just for coming off the pill.

--------------------

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Jul 17 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #206

belligerently lazy

Wow, thank you so much chacaheels for taking the time and concern. I really appreciate it.

I actually am on birth control, but I'm on Ortho Lo-I can't imagine what being on the pill with a regular dose of hormones is like! And I was bleeding this past week, so I was off of them, and I've decided to stop taking them for this month and see what happens. I'm realizing that they could also have something to do with my spordadic depression as well-especially because that's gotten better suddenly this past week.

And stress, of course is a major contributor. But it seems like trying to control stress these days is like trying to control world peace-there may be tiny ways to influence it, but the problem just isn't going away.

"In light of that, what you eat has little relevance unless it somehow plays into the "coping" pattern that is already in place (as in, for example, craving and eating foods as a result of insulin resistance or thyroid dysfunction, both of which would make you want/need to eat sugary foods).".......I have to admit that I probably have been eating too much sugar lately, but as a result of stress-it's my comfort-especially chocolate and ice cream. I don't eat an unbelievable amount, but maybe a coule pieces of dark chocolate a day, and a few spoonfuls of ice cream maybe every other day. I'm starting to worry about diabetes too, because my grandmother has it (adult onset). And I just read in an article that thyroid dysfunction could also cause many symptoms of depression. There are a lot of possibilities.

I'd like to see a naturopath or homeopath, though I don't think I can afford it right now..So for the time being I'm just going to watch what I'm eating and see if going off the pill helps. And try to help the stress levels any way I can. Thanks again for your help!

--------------------
I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you if you don't watch your step.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jul 16 2006, 04:35 AM
Post #207

Hardcore BUSTie

If you're noticing that the yeast infections seem to get more severe during the month at some point, then they could be a result of, or reactive to, some kind of hormonal imbalance that is beginning to show itself in your cycle.

A lot of women notice that they have an increase in yeasty discharge and itchiness/sensitivity just before their periods begin, or just after ovulation...(it varies as every woman is different even if they have the hormonal imbalance in common). Many women develop chronic yeast infections after going on the birth control pill.

If that seems to be the case for you, then you have to consider all the things which could alter hormonal balance (with or without the use of hormone induction treatments--like taking the pill, for example). Hormone balance is not just dependent on ovaries and pituitary glands--it can also be related to thyroid function, which could be affected by adrenal function, which could force a change in the way your body produces and uses hormones like insulin, which also forces a change elsewhere...etc. etc. etc. All of it could change the way your body handles constant stress--and that, too, has a direct effect on a variety of different hormones which could be produced by the body in response. Things can get "out of whack" very easily in that balance, anywhere in the body. More often than not the "cause" has been many months or years in the making, and it involves stress of every kind--physical, emotional, spiritual. It is also never just one thing that creates chronic yeast.

In light of that, what you eat has little relevance unless it somehow plays into the "coping" pattern that is already in place (as in, for example, craving and eating foods as a result of insulin resistance or thyroid dysfunction, both of which would make you want/need to eat sugary foods).

It helps if you take a multi-pronged approach. Treating your discomfort topically, as you've done with the mixture you made up and used, can allow you to function well and ease a great deal of pain and stress just by itself. But it isn't a "cure" to the problem, not on its own. Using essential oils (as you did with the tea tree, garlic, and lavender) or acidophilus or boric acid to ease the immediate stress is far less suppressive than using something like Diflucan. You want to avoid being suppressive in your treatment choices in any way possible, as that will only make things far worse. At best, your "relief" will only be temporary--and then you'll have all the same symptoms as you did before the suppressive treatment as well as brand new symptoms brought on by the prescription drug itself.

Once the topical discomfort is looked after, however, you've still got a lot of work to do! A lot can be done with some naturopathic solutions--such as supporting the body by taking acidophilus/bifidus capsules or powders on an ongoing, daily basis (you can get very "high dose" formulations of these supplements, and microflora capsules that include fructooligosaccharides as well as the live cultures, which make them far more potent and therefore more effective at restoring the microflora balance in the gut--if you want some suggestions regarding which brands or formulations are available where you are, just ask). If it is true you're suffering from overworked adrenals, then you'll need to find a formulation to help you get their function back on track (these can be anything from taking adrenal gland extracts to using herbal/nutrient support formulations which can achieve something similar). You'll also need to figure out why they've been overburdened to the point of dysfunction. Consider, for example, that these are the glands that act in the "fight or flight" reaction: you might want to ask yourself when it is you "act" as though you're in fight/flight mode, on an ongoing basis (it might be a stressful relationship with someone who constantly puts you on edge, or feeling forced to react to someone else's "hysterical" or overreactive habits, or simply being forced to work to exceedingly tight and unrealistic expectations--your own or someone else's). If you're dealing with a dysfunctional thyroid gland (you can have blood tests to figure this out, but make sure you work with a very competent endocrinologist if you suspect this is the deal), then you can also find supplements/herbs to help restore balance and function to this gland as well. Either, both, and/or other glands might also be involved in what's going on with you--and if you choose to go the naturopathic route of treatment then you and your naturopath can tailor your treatment options to whatever you need so that real balance can be restored. This can often include some temporary dietary changes.

Seeing a good homeopath is a great option, too--you may well be able to forego all of the supplement and herb taking all together if you choose this route, and just take the remedy prescribed to you to correct whatever is going wrong on all the levels noted above. But even that is a "process" kind of treatment--even if you get results overnight, changes do have to made in your life to ensure that recurrences can be avoided. The dietary issues are resolved with the homeopathic remedy (so there's no real need to change that at all) and you'll be in a better place, mentally, to figure out alternatives to the living situation you're in so you can avoid becoming susceptible to illness again.

Both ways are good options, far less frustrating that just taking some prescription med that, at best, works temporarily.

--------------------

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Jul 15 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #208

belligerently lazy

Oh, no actually I hadn't mentioned that info. I've had them chronically-maybe 2 or 3 weeks out of every month, for the past year or so. Mild to severe, mostly mild. It only gets severe maybe once a month or less, and lasts a day or two. I think from about December to February this year, I was taking a few acidophilus pills everyday, and the infections vanished during that time. So stupidly I stopped taking them because I figured I had it beat-and within a month the infections came back, and now it seems that nothing is getting rid of them. I still take the pills everyday, and I think it keeps them from getting really bad, but not gone entirely.

I saw my doctor last week, who said nothing looked unusual. The day I saw her, I just *happened* to not be itching at all-so nothing came back in the lab results-but of course within a few days after the app't, it came back. She prescribed me Diflucan, which I'm hesitant take, based on mixed reviews from here and other people.

I'm not sure what might be causing the infections-I don't *think* I eat more yeast or sugar than anyone else, but I guess I couldn't know how much is a lot or how much other people eat. I do love vinegar, and I'd say I usually have a drink (or 2) on the weekends. I'm guessing I'm just very sensitive to yeast-I have no idea how it works. I wear clean, cotton underwear, often I don't wear any-only with looser, breathable pants though. I shower almost everyday and make sure to clean myself well with water only, and I blowdry thoroughly afterwards. Doing that generally helps-at least for most of the day, but generally by the end of the day I'm itching again.

That's about all the relevant information I can think of. Thanks gals for your help and concern!

--------------------

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jul 14 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #209

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm sorry if you've already posted this before and I've missed it, but do you have any idea when the current yeast infection started...or what might have brought it on? It always helps to know "when it all started" and consider what could have started it when you want to find the best treatment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Jul 14 2006, 03:00 PM
Post #210

belligerently lazy

It did for a couple days. I haven't been able to do it again because I haven't been home since that night, and I think it might take more than one treatment-but I will definitely try it again. As midge said, I might need to take care of the 'initial overgrowth'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jul 14 2006, 06:32 AM
Post #211

Hardcore BUSTie

How did it go, humanist? Did it help?

--------------------

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post Jul 13 2006, 12:45 AM
Post #212

Hardcore BUSTie

incase this makes it any easier, once you get the initial overgrowth taken care of, you can cheat on the diet...each person is different and can handle different amounts. i can have a bit of ketchup or vinegary salad dressing every few days without upsetting the balance. it is pretty easy to tell when it's too much. if you could make it through about 4-6 weeks to clear things out, then you might feel a lot better, and still be able to treat yourself to some of your vices!

whatever you decide, good luck! (and if you decide to do the diet and need any ideas for food substitutions, just say the word...)

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Jul 13 2006, 12:42 AM
Post #213

belligerently lazy

Bacterial warfare going on inside me tonight-I mixed up about 2 Tbsp of aloe, 2 Tbsp of plain yogurt, several drops of tea tree oil and lavender, some garlic juice and the powder of one acidophilus pill, injected it all up there and smeared the rest externally. I used a panty liner to collect any runoff, and then let it all sit for a half hour or so, then gave it all a good rinse in the shower, and dried myself with a blow dryer on cool. So far so good. It seems like a lot to do, but if you have all the ingredients and something to inject the stuff with, I think it's a good remedy. Basically it's almost every yeast-fighting ingredient I could get my hand on, all mixed together.

--------------------

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Jul 11 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #214

belligerently lazy

That certainly does help, midge-I'm very hesitant to take these drugs without knowing the side effects. I'm beginning to think that it might be a good idea for me to go on a yeast free diet. But I LOVE vinegar and enjoy my pear cidar beer too much..this sucks. The idea of being infection free though is definitely worth it. Thanks for the info!

--------------------

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post Jul 11 2006, 11:19 AM
Post #215

Hardcore BUSTie

I took Diflucan MANY times back in the bad old days...It is definately nasty stuff, it always made me feel really ill for about 4-5 days. And without fail, the yeast would return within a few months, with a vengeance. You have to be careful with that stuff, it is really hard on your liver, of course nobody told me this when I was taking it. Eventually, it was a nice woman pharmacist who enlightened me that I might not be taking the right approach, and boy was she right! After much more battling the yeast, and eventually seeing an allergist who instructed me to go on a yeast free diet (ie. no yeast or other fermented foods like vinegar and alcohol), I finally kicked the yeast problem after years of suffering with it. Of course, I have to stay on this diet, cause I cheat and if I eat too much vinegar, I can literally feel it come back within a day...but if you have a lot of self-control and don't mind switching to naturally leavened bread and lemon juice instead of vinegar, I would definately recommend these kinds of dietary changes instead of the nasty Diflucan. On the other hand, if you need a quick fix and don't mind feeling shitty for a couple days, the Diflucan will kill the yeast off...but since you're not actually changing anything in your body, you can bet it will come back sooner than later!

Hope that helps!

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Jul 11 2006, 12:46 AM
Post #216

belligerently lazy

Since I can't seem to find specific posts from searching for this in the search feature, I have to ask, even though I know it's been discussed~my doctor prescribed Diflucan to me, and I'm curious how it has affected people who have used it. I have not filled the prescription because I don't know if I want to spend the money yet to find out that it doesn't do shit. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jul 6 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #217

Hardcore BUSTie

Okay, then, midge, if you don't think I "understand the differentiation..."

Bottom line: don't rule out the traditional anti-parasite herbs and vermifuges. They can and do work wonders to eliminate candida albicans, as sukoyant has experienced.

--------------------

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post Jul 6 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #218

Hardcore BUSTie

I don't think you really understand the differentiation I'm trying to point out though...

Candida might be an opportunistic fungus, and behave "parasitically", but it is not an actual "parasite". Parasites are little tiny orgnisms with little digestive and cirulatory systems. Fungi on the other hand, (like yeast) are networks of cells, lacking any organs.

That's not to say that the treatments you're suggesting might not be effective, just biologically speaking, what you were saying wasn't totally accurate.

Just because you don't agree with this information doesn't make it wrong, and please try and remember, you are not the only one here who is trying to provide helpful information to the other busties.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jul 5 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #219

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, Midge, as I said before, candida albicans can become parasitic. ALL funghi have a quality of interdependency with a "host" that can be seen as parasitic (particularly by scientists who focus all their attention on mycorrhizal funghi); candida is no exception. That host/funghi relationship is usually commensal, but if, as often happens with yeast, the fungus really overgrows, it's actually detrimental to the host because and it becomes downright parasitical. To top things off, the increasing, debilitating presence of candida can make the host susceptible to the existence of other parasites in the body, particularly if the overgrowth has been long-standing, and widespread. Remember, yeast can act exactly like mycorrhizal funghi--it thrives off nutrients like sugar, taken directly from the host's own system...and then it becomes opportunistic, overpopulating the microflora in the body until more and more yeast organisms draw nutrients from the host's body. The host then is forced to supply more nutriets, which are again directed to the overgrowing funghi, which creates even greater demand for nutrients that ought to be used by the host (but cannot be used by the host).

That sounds quite parasitical to me.

Again, there ARE many, many formulations used by qualified nutritionists, homeopaths, naturopaths, and medical doctors who have trained themselves in integrative medical care to cure candida overgrowths (particularly when they have become systemic), and all of these contain anti-parastic ingredients which cause die-off of candida and other (if they are present) parasites. Such as Black Walnut--a traditionally used anti-parasitical.

I have a few minutes' worth of conventional and alternative medical training, a coupla seconds' worth of teaching experience, and an occasional afternoon's worth of private practice experience as well. There are also a number of fleeting moments I spend working with and consulting with MDs too.

I might be offering up a little more than just "opinion". Make use of it if you like...add it to your own research, if it opens up possibilities you are not quite ready to explore just yet. Maybe it might help someone who's been suffering a long time...that would be nice, wouldn't it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post Jul 3 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #220

Hardcore BUSTie

Tatina--maybe this is what you meant, but Flagyl is not prescribed for yeast infections, as it is an antibiotic, not an antifungal medication. Flagyl can be prescribed for trichomoniasis and BV, but wouldn't do anything for yeast, except probably kill off the good bacteria and make a yeast infection worse!

And I just feel like I should clear this up for others who might be taking Chachaheels' opinions as fact:

Candida albicans, ie. yeast infections, although they may behave "parasitically" (ie. in the sense of the verb, exploiting resources in your body), are not in fact parasites (as in the noun--true parasites are small, non-fungal organisms). Candida is a fungus, and is therefore treated as such, with antifungal medications such as Diflucan (really strong...and toxic...unfortunately I took some before I knew better!)

And if you don't trust my word, be assured I double checked this info with my mother (who worked in public health and as a lactation consultant), and my father (a microbiology professor), so I've got my info straight!

If you have serious self control, the best remedy for yeast infections (vaginal and systemic) that won't go away is actually to stop introducing yeast into your system. A lot of people can have good results just cutting off the yeast's food supply (ie. sugars), but when that is not enough, you can instead cut out all yeast and fermented foods from your diet (including alcohol, vinegar, soya sauce, coffee, etc.), and actually keep eating sugar and carbs, and have very effective results! But you have to be REALLY strict, or else all your hard work will be in vain! I had constant yeast infections for years until I cut yeast out of my diet, and now unless I cheat and eat vinegar, etc. I am basically yeast free, and I can totally feel it come back with just a bit of cheating on the diet, so I know it's actually what is working.

Ok, that's it for now!

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 23, 2014 - 01:59 PM