The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Thread Thread: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and Fabric Stuff!
girltrouble
post Oct 5 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #1

new highs in personal lows daily!

awwww. complements will get you everywhere, koffee. i did a pin up version of lil stinker, i need to redraw, since i miss drawing legs... i'll do an outline of little stinker and post it in the next day, and see if i can get the pin up done. i'd love to see that embroidered. and i love skunks too, wink.gif

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Oct 5 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

GirlTrouble- Hope you're still out there...I was over in Say Cheese for the first time and I came across your Lil Stinker sketches/tats and I LOVELOVELOVE them. I mean, I really, really love them. (I love skunks and don't come across very many great skunk sketches). I would buy the sketches to embroider on baby onesies, etc. in a heartbeat. I hope you are serious....we poor souls who cannot draw our way out of a paper bag could really make good use of your talent.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Oct 2 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #3

(o)(o)

Take yer time my dear. I need to pick up some material and thread anyways, not that I need more thread, but you can *never* have enough embroidery thread.

~*~*~*~soothing vibes for gt~*~*~*~*

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Oct 2 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #4

oooooo i like that a lot, rosey! her stuff is purrrrrrty. sp. the tiger.

koffee, i love the idea of hitchcock stuff, or better some of the graphic design of hitchcock posters....

culture gimmie a day or two to figure out what i need, and we will get to it. i'm a ball of stress today, so i need a bit of a break.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Oct 2 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #5

Pacifism kicks ass!

Here are some links to Bad Bird Embroidery.
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=87013
Blog: http://zuill.us/andreablog/
I remember seeing her work on Crafster and was totally blown away by her talent and her fun subject matter.

Love your work, CH! You're an inspiration!

::returns to knitting madness::

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Oct 2 2009, 07:42 AM
Post #6

(o)(o)

GT, Squeeeeeeeeeee!!!! I would Love love LOVE to do that for you!!!! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Awww thanks Koffee. wub.gif that sugar skull was actually my first big project. By the end, I just wanted it to die, I was so sick of the detail.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Oct 2 2009, 07:15 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Movie buff that you are...I would love for someone to make a series of of patterns surrounding Hitchcock, or something unexpected like "Man with the Golden Arm" (who wouldn't love to embroider syringes all over the place? That sounds sarcastic, but I'm only half kidding) or especially Japan's Studio Ghibli movies.
I know you already have your own ideas; these are just a few things I keep hoping to find. Don't forget that any drawing you make into "graph" form (for cross stitch) could also be sold to knitters. We knitters are much more accustomed to paying for patterns than embroiderers.

Culture- Your sugar skull is beautiful...I can never get my french knots to look even and all the same size like that.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Oct 1 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #8

thanks koffee (and Culture) i think i was thinking about cross stitch. but regular embroydery is just as cool. culture, can i enlist you to sew some samples? i would do it myself but between drawing painting and some collabs, it would be forever before i could do it. on the upside, you could tell me what you think would be fun, and i will draw it....

--------------------

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Oct 1 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #9

(o)(o)

That's what I was going to say. When I make my own patterns, I just transfer them on with a solid line.

Here's two projects.

The first is love birds I put on a hoodie, that hoodie is a work in process.

the second is a sugar skull I made for a friend for his birthday.

--------------------

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Oct 1 2009, 07:31 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

GT: except for cross stitch, most embroidery patterns are just regular drawings, but with very clean lines and without the shading. Think of the drawings in coloring books. I have patterns on transfer paper and on regular white copy paper, I think either is fine. There are a lot of free pattern sites on line, so competition for sellers is fierce. That said, I would pay for patterns if I liked them enough. I think people (like me) who hate those insipid patterns with geese wearing aprons, etc. are always looking for something that reflects their personality. Hope this is of some help...the hot link I wanted has disappeared from my bookmarks. I wanted to direct you to an embroiderer called "bad bird" who publishes free patterns (and sells some) on her blog. Anyway, good luck and let us know if you have success with etsy...I've thought of selling some stuff on there, too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Sep 30 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #11

hey, can any of the embroiderers take a picture of a pattern or two? i want to make some of my drawings into patterns to sell on etsy, but i haven't a clue what they look like.

--------------------

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Sep 30 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #12

(o)(o)

Hmm, it appears that the pic is not on photobucket anymore. I don't remember if I actually deleted it.

But, RV, if you go to my pics on crackbook, there is an album, there is one pic there.

I'll reload the pic and post it later.

I also put two love birds on a hoodie, right inthe small of the back. It's like an old school tramp stamp tat, but on a hoodie!

--------------------

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Sep 30 2009, 10:18 AM
Post #13

Pacifism kicks ass!

CH, I adore embroidery! I haven't done it in years, though. I really need to give it another try. Post some pics of your projects if you get a chance.

Humanist, from that pic it looks like you lost your way & went off the pattern somewhere in the middle there. The pattern seems to disappear, for lack of a better word. I'm wondering if you cabled back a few times when you should have cabled forward. I also think there are some places where you perled when you should have been knitting. With a pattern as complex as that, I'm sure it's hard to keep track. Either that or ... well, I don't know! If nothing else, you could start again using a slightly smaller needle. I find that sometimes my cable & lace work looks more crisp and clean if I use a slightly smaller needle than recommended.

I'm getting back into needle arts after a bit of a hiatus. This summer I crocheted an afghan for some friends who just bought their first house. They have long admired an afghan in our living room that I made a few years back, so I was sure it would not be a waste of effort! It's a wonderful, easy, reversible basketweave pattern that I found on the website for Lionbrand yarns. I'd post a link, but they make you join their website in order to have access to their patterns. If you're willing to sign up, just look for "basketweave throw" in the crochet section. It's super easy & works up quickly.

I also made a purse for my mom using the Buttercup Bag pattern. It is such an adorable little bag! It's on the small side, though, so if you decide to make it, you might blow up the pattern a bit on a copier or you can buy the larger version of the pattern (the small pattern is free).

Now for knitting. After oodles of scarves, I am finally making my first sweater! And instead of making something for someone else like I usually do, this is for me. It's a cardigan from the Spring/Summer '09 issue of the Debbie Bliss magazine. If you have this magazine, it's in the Havanna Nights section. It's called "Ribbon Edged Jacket" but I'm doing it in dark blue and I'm leaving off the ribbon. It's a very simple long cardigan with wide ribbing and a V neckline. Simple, but sense there's no lace work and since it's all done on small needles, it has taken me FOREVER! I started on it this summer and got SO DAMN BORED & frustrated with it that I tossed it aside about a month ago. I just felt like I was making no progress whatsoever. Then on Monday I picked it up again and finally finished the back. In the meantime, my mother knit 2 sweaters this summer! I feel so inept! I would love to start on another project - perhaps something involving lacework - but I need to finish this thing first. I think I'll start one of the front panels this morning. Wish me luck!

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Sep 30 2009, 08:55 AM
Post #14

(o)(o)

Humanist, I'll consult with my mom, she's a master knitter. Is there any way you can send me the pattern as well?

I'd offer to help, but I can't knit for crud, now embroidery, THAT's my thing.

I'm sort of working on a love bird table cloth thing for a friend, but I don't like what I've done so far, so I'm going to get more material and some new thread and start again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Sep 30 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Wow...how did I not notice this thread before??

I have the same situation of giving all the scarves/hats etc. away to other people. Every time it gets cold I ask myself how someone who knits, crochets and (sorta) spins yarn can possibly not have enough cold weather gear.

On the cable pattern issue: hopefully you've worked the bugs out now, but if not maybe you should try a sample in another yarn. Sometimes the direction the yarn is plyed can affect how bold the pattern looks even in plain stockinette...It's weird that you had no problem with cables before and now suddenly something isn't right. It really does make me wonder if the problem isn't YOU, but the yarn, pattern, etc.

I need to start on a scarf, too. My 6 year old lost his only warm scarf last season (fortunately not a hand knit) and will need another ASAP. Here in Ohio it's already getting cold; it might even FROST tomorrow morning. Other than planning scarves and mittens I've been a little baby bootie making factory...nothing too glamorous/exciting.

Does anybody hand spin yarn? I'd like to get better at it and would love some learning suggestions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 29 2009, 04:15 PM
Post #16

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

QUOTE(humanist77 @ Sep 29 2009, 03:32 PM) *
It's yarnin' season again! And apparently we skipped the 2008 season here :\

Like most knitters, i've made a million scarves for other people. I've only made one for myself though a couple years ago, and I'm starting my second one. Like my first scarf, it's made up of an intricate cable pattern. My first one came out beautifully from the start-the cable crossings and ribs came out perfectly. I'm about 30 rows into my latest scarf though, and the cables are just not forming. I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong. I'm using size 8 needles with worsted yarn, knitting at a perfect tension-not too tight, not too loose, and I know I haven't made any mistakes with the pattern itself. I'm doing it the exact same way as the first one (a different cable pattern, but all the same techniques).
So here's a photo of the original pattern,
and this is my attempt. I mean, you can kinda see it, but it's still so mushy looking. Btw, I'm only using about two rows of the original pattern.
here's my first scarf, notice how the ribbing just pops out-it's all well defined.

Now why the hell is this one all flat and shapeless? Is there a trick to making cable ribs more defined? i've gotta be doing something wrong huh.gif
Anyone else working on something neat?

If it doesn't work, I'll still take it off your hands!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Sep 29 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #17

belligerently lazy

It's yarnin' season again! And apparently we skipped the 2008 season here :\

Like most knitters, i've made a million scarves for other people. I've only made one for myself though a couple years ago, and I'm starting my second one. Like my first scarf, it's made up of an intricate cable pattern. My first one came out beautifully from the start-the cable crossings and ribs came out perfectly. I'm about 30 rows into my latest scarf though, and the cables are just not forming. I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong. I'm using size 8 needles with worsted yarn, knitting at a perfect tension-not too tight, not too loose, and I know I haven't made any mistakes with the pattern itself. I'm doing it the exact same way as the first one (a different cable pattern, but all the same techniques).
So here's a photo of the original pattern,
and this is my attempt. I mean, you can kinda see it, but it's still so mushy looking. Btw, I'm only using about two rows of the original pattern.
here's my first scarf, notice how the ribbing just pops out-it's all well defined.

Now why the hell is this one all flat and shapeless? Is there a trick to making cable ribs more defined? i've gotta be doing something wrong huh.gif
Anyone else working on something neat?

--------------------
I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you if you don't watch your step.
-Matt Groening, Life in Hell

+Quote Post
faith
post May 5 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

I am on ravelry! I am a rank amateur but ambitious. My handle is "Calyx"......

+Quote Post
faith
post May 5 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

I am on ravelry! I am a rank amateur but ambitious. My handle is "Calyx"......

+Quote Post
mornington
post Apr 22 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #20

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

lunia, those are very cool. I do heart subversive stitching so. Have you seen the flickr group?

are there any busties on ravelry? I've just gotten my account so I'm a little... addicted.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 25, 2014 - 09:13 PM