The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

> On the Road Again: The Travel Thread
mornington
post May 1 2006, 05:57 AM
Post #1

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

I'd also recommend the Black Sea beaches in Romania - I lived there as a kid & we never had any problems travelling (it's not a communist country any more). The sea is warm over the summer, but it can be really really busy & crowded around holidays.

also if you've got time, check out the mountains in transylvania - Bran Castle is good for a visit and the area is really pretty (and it is Dracula's Castle). I wouldn't bother with the rest of Romania though - it's pretty bleak and unlovely.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
raskel
post May 1 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

When I was in Prague it wasn't over crowded, I only saw one McDonalds, and didn't see a Gap once, and this was only last March.....I really enjoyed Prague.

+Quote Post
rainarana
post Apr 30 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #3

BUSTie

Yes, the beaches of Croatia are lovely. I stayed in a small town, forget the name, but it was in the region of what they call the Makarska Riviera. LOVELY. If you were considering Spain also check out the south western coast. We stayed in Rota, which has a US military base nearby, so you do see a lot of military people, but not too touristy. Cadiz is beautiful. We chose to avoid the east coast of Spain as it's overrun with drunken English tourists.

If you check out the European travel sites you can get really good deals, like $350, flight and hotel included for many places in Greece for about 8 days.

If you want to do the beach in Eastern Europe check out the Black Sea area in Romania. One of the few areas non communists were allowed to go, so pretty nice resort wise. I've not been but I've heard good things.

Oh, and I forgot to ask, when are you going?

+Quote Post
greenbean
post Apr 30 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

So many options! Woot!

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.--John Waters

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Apr 30 2006, 06:21 AM
Post #5

it's cards on the table time

Actually, another option for beaches in eastern europe is croatia, although it's apparently become very touristy. I can dig out a good accommodation website for croatia if you want...

/vicarious travel suggestions. I need a holiday.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Apr 30 2006, 06:18 AM
Post #6

Ooh, if you want to do the beach thing go to Barcelona in Spain. Fabulous city, very beautiful with astonishing architecture, great food, lovely people... and beaches a short train ride away. This isn't as bad as it sounds, because the trains let you out directly on to the beach itself. The Med is lovely and warm and there's usually a beachside cafe selling fresh calamari and cava... bliss all around.

Or you could check out the beaches in Valencia, further down the coast. I haven't been but I hear good things about it.

+Quote Post
mouni4
post Apr 30 2006, 02:31 AM
Post #7

BUSTie

Greenbean, a nice place in Switzerland is Lake Maggiore, which is partly Switzerland and partly Italian.

+Quote Post
greenbean
post Apr 27 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for the tips, guys!
Sybarite-I knew world cup was going on but I didnt think about how it would affect travel, I must look into that.
Rainarana-i'm so bummed about Prague! The westernizing must have just started recently, because I have a friend who visited there eight years ago, and swears that it was lost in time.
Also, has anyone been to Portugal? I'm thinking of checking out Eastern Europe first and then flying over to the complete other side and doing the beach thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
venetia
post Apr 27 2006, 05:27 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

oh oh how fun for you! (of course my desire to go to slovenia is intimately tied up with my obsessive desire to return to poland. The other day I was telling M hopefully that when we go to Rome (my carrot at the moment) "we can just quickly nip over to, um, polandandhungaryandslovenia?"

Interesting about Dresden - that's what I'd always thought too.

+Quote Post
rainarana
post Apr 26 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #10

BUSTie

Well I'll be in Poland and Slovakia this year. Since we're driving through Germany we'll spend a day or two in Berlin, where I've only been once and loved. Plus I have a friend there who can show us all the best spots, and then a day or two to Dresden, which I had always thought was completely obliterated and rebuilt in Soviet style, but was told otherwise recently.

+Quote Post
venetia
post Apr 26 2006, 04:07 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Itchy fee-eeet! I sooo want to go to Slovenia.

+Quote Post
rainarana
post Apr 26 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #12

BUSTie

I also want to check out Prague and Munich>

I hated Prague about 5 years ago, and it gets more and more crowded every year. You should check out Ljubliana in Slovenia instead, if you're going to be traveling around. A lot less over run by tourists and still has an Eastern European feel. When I was in Prague it seemed like every other building was a Gap or McDonalds. Slovenia is also very cheap, you can get a single room for about $15 a day. There's the old town and I've heard the nightlife is really good. I missed Ljubliana last time through and went to Postojna to see the caves instead.

+Quote Post
dusty
post Apr 26 2006, 08:30 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

The Petrified Forest has petroglyphs as well, and the painted desert. I liked the petroglyphs, but I was a little underwhelmed by the painted desert. The park, I believe, is celebrating an anniversary this year.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Apr 26 2006, 08:26 AM
Post #14

Big Fat Bitch

Greenbean, I spent two weeks in Prague over the summer & it was le shizznit. It's fairly inexpensive & so, so cool. They have an excellent mass transit system (The Soviets sucked, but did the Czechs a solid with the subway, trams, trains, etc.) & hostel stays are fairly cheap. It was something like $25 a night for two people. Radost is a great lounge/eatery & has great music & stiff drinks. There is so much to see & do that I felt two weeks wasn't nearly enough time. Try to catch a train to Kutna Hora to see the ossuary.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Apr 26 2006, 04:37 AM
Post #15

Greenbean, I haven't travelled much in central Europe so can't give you any specific advice. However, the World Cup (of football/soccer) is on from June and through July in different parts of Germany, which will significantly impact on any travel there at that time.

If you're going later in the summer then it's all good... although July and August are holiday months for many Europeans, meaning accommodation will be pricier/have limited availability.

+Quote Post
supahc
post Apr 25 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #16

Wow! I had no idea about arcosanti. That place looks really neat, I'm definitely going to drop by. I'm spending a couple of days in Phoenix doing day trips and then headed down to Tucson for a couple of days.

+Quote Post
zizola
post Apr 25 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #17

BUSTie

supahc~

What parts of AZ are you going to be driving through exactly?

Flagstaff is definitely worth checking out. If you have time, you should go to Lowell Observatory. A lot of history there, and you can look through their giant telescope!

Sedona is great for New Agey (some very silly!) stuff and is also a gorgeous city to boot.

The petrified forest is cool if you like fossilized trees.

If you go through AZ during the first week of the month, there's an Art Walk in Scottsdale the first Thursday, and another one in Phoenix every first Friday.

Arcosanti is a cool place to visit- it's a sort of partially built artist utopia designed by Paolo Soleri, a contemporary of Frank Lloyd Wright.

As far as kitschy stuff, Jerome is definitely a cool little town to see, there's also a cool neighborhood of thrift stores/vintage stores & art galleries in downtown Phoenix. I also know that somewhere along your drive, you may pass by THE THING, which is some silly roadside attraction that I've never stopped at, but always wanted to.

+Quote Post
greenbean
post Apr 25 2006, 02:17 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks sybarite! I know its expensive, I've already looked at hostel prices in Zurich and they arent much less then hotels! Luckily, my fight is free because my dad has some serious flyer miles and is very generous (thanks dad!) so I guess I'll sprurge while I'm there.
Switzerland is my ultimate destination because I've dreamed of visiting ever since my Heidi-loving youth, but I also want to check out Prague and Munich,...and who knows!? I'm feeling adventurous!
Any general euro-travel advice would be much appreciated!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Apr 25 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #19

Never been greenbean. A friend goes regularly (skiiing) and loves it, says it's beautiful, very clean and 'everything works'. It's true that it is also seriously expensive.

Dunno where you're going but this and this might be useful... the lonely planet page has further links you may want to check out.

+Quote Post
greenbean
post Apr 24 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Eeee! I just found out I'm going to Switzerland!
Anyone familiar with the country have any travel tips?

--------------------

+Quote Post
24 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic

24 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 30, 2014 - 09:12 PM