Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

24 Pages V  « < 22 23 24  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> On the Road Again: The Travel Thread
sybarite
post Apr 26 2006, 04:37 AM
Post #461

it's cards on the table time

Greenbean, I haven't travelled much in central Europe so can't give you any specific advice. However, the World Cup (of football/soccer) is on from June and through July in different parts of Germany, which will significantly impact on any travel there at that time.

If you're going later in the summer then it's all good... although July and August are holiday months for many Europeans, meaning accommodation will be pricier/have limited availability.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
supahc
post Apr 25 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #462

Wow! I had no idea about arcosanti. That place looks really neat, I'm definitely going to drop by. I'm spending a couple of days in Phoenix doing day trips and then headed down to Tucson for a couple of days.

+Quote Post
zizola
post Apr 25 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #463

BUSTie

supahc~

What parts of AZ are you going to be driving through exactly?

Flagstaff is definitely worth checking out. If you have time, you should go to Lowell Observatory. A lot of history there, and you can look through their giant telescope!

Sedona is great for New Agey (some very silly!) stuff and is also a gorgeous city to boot.

The petrified forest is cool if you like fossilized trees.

If you go through AZ during the first week of the month, there's an Art Walk in Scottsdale the first Thursday, and another one in Phoenix every first Friday.

Arcosanti is a cool place to visit- it's a sort of partially built artist utopia designed by Paolo Soleri, a contemporary of Frank Lloyd Wright.

As far as kitschy stuff, Jerome is definitely a cool little town to see, there's also a cool neighborhood of thrift stores/vintage stores & art galleries in downtown Phoenix. I also know that somewhere along your drive, you may pass by THE THING, which is some silly roadside attraction that I've never stopped at, but always wanted to.

+Quote Post
greenbean
post Apr 25 2006, 02:17 PM
Post #464

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks sybarite! I know its expensive, I've already looked at hostel prices in Zurich and they arent much less then hotels! Luckily, my fight is free because my dad has some serious flyer miles and is very generous (thanks dad!) so I guess I'll sprurge while I'm there.
Switzerland is my ultimate destination because I've dreamed of visiting ever since my Heidi-loving youth, but I also want to check out Prague and Munich,...and who knows!? I'm feeling adventurous!
Any general euro-travel advice would be much appreciated!

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.--John Waters

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Apr 25 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #465

it's cards on the table time

Never been greenbean. A friend goes regularly (skiiing) and loves it, says it's beautiful, very clean and 'everything works'. It's true that it is also seriously expensive.

Dunno where you're going but this and this might be useful... the lonely planet page has further links you may want to check out.

+Quote Post
greenbean
post Apr 24 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #466

Hardcore BUSTie

Eeee! I just found out I'm going to Switzerland!
Anyone familiar with the country have any travel tips?

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.--John Waters

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 22 23 24
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 19, 2014 - 08:25 AM