The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cuss and Discussion of Skin Care items
kittenb
post Oct 6 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #1

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

Wow. Busties really do know everything! Thanks ladies.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Oct 6 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #2

it's cards on the table time

KittenB, I have (male) friends who rave about a hot lather shave at the barber's. I think it sounds like a great idea!

+Quote Post
delibelly
post Oct 6 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #3

BUSTie

This link might help:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845

I think "wet shave" is the same as "hot lather shave"?

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Oct 6 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #4

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

Maybe Drugstore.com or Chicago's Mertz's Apothecary? Good luck!

I was going to ask this question in a relationship thread but maybe it belongs here. I want to get my boyfriend a thank you gift because of all the support he's given me this year. A while ago we walked past this very British looking men's salon that does hot lather shaves (& other stuff.) I asked if that was something he would be interested in and he seemed intrigued. But I realized I have no idea what a hot lather shave is and why it is worth $60. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Oct 5 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Aw man, my poor sensitive skin hates it here in China. My skin is both oily and sensitive, so whenever something bothers it it responds by putting out a protective layer of oil. Between the horrible air pollution, the gross water that leaves a flaky white residue all over everything, and the high humidity, my skin is like the Gulf of Mexico right now. Of course, in the chaos before my departure, I neglected to stock up on skin care products to use while I'm here. Chinese people typically have dry skin, and often they have really severe acne, so all the skin care products here are either super moisturizing or heavily medicated, which doesn't help me at all. Can anyone recommend a good site where I can order skin care products from several different brands?

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Mar 27 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #6

Big Fat Bitch

Hey, Lushies! Spend $75 and get $5 flat rate shipping. Enter promo code 3FREESHIP10 at check out. Offer ends Monday, March 29th at noon PST.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jul 5 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #7

PANTIES! ew.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I would definitely consider ordering from them in the future, but not right now. I was at a massive WF and I was totally overwhelmed by the selection of beauty products. Dr. Bronner had to be there somewhere, but by that point, my frozen bread was starting to thaw out. Next visit I'll hit the beauty aisles first. wink.gif

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Jul 5 2009, 08:12 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

I like Mountain Rose's facial steam, but I found the lemon cleanser too harsh. I found Juliet's Foaming lemon cleaner and the scrub a lot more forgiving. Their marketing is less slick than Mountain Rose and more hysterical, but the results were better for me.
Those are here and here.

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Jul 5 2009, 08:01 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Yep, Raisin - I buy the lemon facewash directly from Mountain Rose Herbs...I also love their facial steam and lavender body wash, too. But really, it's just a simple castille soap base, with a bit of lemon added, and I would think that one of the Dr. Bronner's varieties that you can get at WF would be pretty much the same thing. I just order from Mountain Rose, as I order some other things from them as well.

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jul 5 2009, 07:32 AM
Post #10

PANTIES! ew.

Turbo, do you order it directly from the company? I couldn't find it at WF. I'm thinking of taking the easy way out (for now, because of circumstances) and getting something available at WF. I'm not in a position right now with a lot of free time to go around and find small health food/organic stores, unfortunately.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 4 2009, 08:59 AM
Post #11

Big Fat Bitch

Until midnight tonight Lush is offering free shipping on orders of $80 or more to the US of A. Use product code USFREEJULY09.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jun 23 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #12

PANTIES! ew.

Thanks, Turbo! I am going to look for the lemon wash.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Jun 19 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

Ah, I love that this thread has been revived! Like Star, I love me some product. smile.gif

Raisin I use this lemon wash from Mountain Rose Herbs, and I love it. It's a simple castille based soap, no SLS, and it's lovely and gentle. I'm sure Dr. Bronner has something pretty similar. Mountain Rose has really nice products, and reasonably priced. I also adore their herbal facial steam, and I use their Wild Rose Oil for moisturizer at night. Their shampoos and body washes are nice too. I also like the Jason stuff too, and it's nice that you can get them at WF.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jun 19 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #14

brown delicious

Cool to hear that you are going SLS free in your beauty products, raisin. I've gone that route with my hair care products (shampoo and styling products). My hair has never looked healthier. As for skincare products, well, I use pricer stuff like Dr. Harushka because I don't get any reactions from this stuff. I'm sure there are other products available at Whole Foods. Like, AP, I use Dr. Bronner's for my body. There seems to be alot of lotions available now that are paraben free. I was doing it old school for awhile, just using jojoba oil on my body. My skin was supersupple. In all my research of treating skin (I found the Dr. Harushka site helpful), you only need cleanser for nighttime after a day of wear and tear on your face. In the morning, you can just use some water or toner in the morning to freshen up your skin.

Gosh, I can talk about beauty products for days. I've been a product whore since my teens.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jun 19 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #15

PANTIES! ew.

Okay, here's the thing. I love that Lush advertises itself as making fresh handmade products. HOWEVER, looking at their facial cleansers, I see that Angels is the ONLY ONE that doesn't contain sodium lauryl sulfate.** (Coalface has it, too, which is the one I'm leaning towards right now, even though I'm interested in eventually cutting that stuff out of the products I use.) That annoys me. So maybe no Lush for me after I'm done with what I've got.

Turbo, does your facial cleanser contain sodium lauryl sulfate? Can you please tell me the brand? I was at Whole Foods recently and I might just switch to Jason products because I think most of their stuff doesn't contain parabens and sodium lauryl sulfate and all that junk.

CCG, you're a better person than I am. wink.gif Cleaning the bathtub ranks high on the list of chores I hate to do, right along with mopping the floors, so I usually put those two things off for as long as possible.

**ETA: I also meant to say that while other Lush facial cleansers may not have sodium lauryl sulfate, they do have perfume listed as an ingredient, and I don't want perfume, either.

This post has been edited by raisingirl: Jun 19 2009, 01:23 PM

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jun 19 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm glad to know I'm not the only Lushie around! Unfortunately, there facial cleansers don't do a lot for me. In fact I think Fresh Farmacy actually made my skin worse. However, I might need to actually go back to a dermatologist to actually get my skin into good shape. But I enjoyed washing my face with Coalface so I might try Dark Angels.

I don't mind the mess from some of the dark Lush products. Usually I can rinse it all away plus I clean my bathtub often so it's no big deal.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Jun 18 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

*runs into thread at mere mention of LUSH!* SQUEEEEE!

You know I am a whore for those black tubs! I love Ocean Salt, though it does make me want to drink margaritas (then again, when DON'T I want to drink margaritas)?! I will say that Ocean Salt is the only product that I absolutely don't like the UK version - it's really different, not as scrubby with bigger chunks of salt, and no pretty blue swirl on top. I've been doing most of my Lushing through UK mailorder - so much cheaper, esp. now that there's a cheaper shipping option for packages under 2Kg.

I haven't been washing my face with Lush stuff lately, though. Just been using a lemon-castille soap wash - seems to work fine. I would be afraid of Dark Angels - You Snap the Whip is messymessymessy - I don't need anything else mucking up my sink/shower! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 18 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #18

Big Fat Bitch

I didn't like my sample of Angels, it just felt wrong.

I liked Aquamarina for most of the year, but used Babyface/Sweet Japanese Girl in the winter when it was mad dry. I liked Fresh Farmacy, too. Right now I'm using the Ocean Salt. Vodka in the shower!

You Snap the Whip is also murder on the shower. Pinky purple stuff everywhere!

I love Lush, but their habit of discontinuing things pisses me off. I am a dedicated Skinny Dip fan, but it only comes in butter creme now. I want my shower gel back!

I do my laundry with Dr. Bronner's. I do a lot of shit with it now that I think about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jun 17 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #19

PANTIES! ew.

Point taken. I guess I didn't really mean rub as in the same vigorous motions for rubbing out a stain. wink.gif

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jun 17 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #20

brown delicious

QUOTE(raisingirl @ Jun 16 2009, 12:09 PM) *
No matter how little I used (because at first I thought I was using too much), it just sort of flaked off my face as I rubbed it in. What's the point of that? Did I just get an especially dry sample or is this how it always is? Anyone have any tips? I might just go back to Coalface.

Well, you are not really supposed to rub it into your skin. You just roll the stuff back and forth to massage the skin and gently exfoilate your skin. Dr. Hauschka suggests a press and roll technique for your skin. Scrubbing or rubbing aggravates the skin. The Angel stuff did have a tougher, courser texture to me even with water. But, if you don't like the texture of the Angel stuff than you might want to go back to Coalface.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 31, 2014 - 08:16 AM