The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

> Cuss and Discussion of Skin Care items
demoness
post May 18 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #1

BUSTie

Yep. Benzoyl peroxide most definitly works for me too. Retinol's also good. (Retin-A/vit-A). Yet the most efficient product is Obagi. Its pretty strong but its works almost all skin disorders, be it melasma, chloasma, hyperpigmentation, lesions, and pimples. I'd definitly recommend it to everyone who's looking to have good skin.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skandelouslala
post May 18 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #2

BUSTie

I had super bad skin when I was younger. So bad that I would come home from school crying because I just felt freakish and ugly. And this wasn't when I was like 15 or 16 either..nooo mine had to start early when I was around 12 or so. I swear I got my first zit in like the 4th grade. How freaking unfair is that?!

Anyways I tried everything short of prescriptions. Probably partly good luck that when I was around 15 or so my skin started clearing up on it's own with little damage from the hell I had endured previously. These days I still have good and bad days with it, but for the most part it's good. I try to keep my routine simple.

Wash my face with Equate Gentle Skin Cleaser (Walmart knock off of Cetaphil, I like it better than real Cetaphil for some rason) maybe with a little bit of jojoba oil mixed in there.

If I do a scrub occassionaly white sugar mixed with cleanser.

Moisturize....St. Ives Stress Gel or if my skin is being super dry Nivea Creme.

I still use benzoyl peroxide as a treatment for pimples. I've been using it over 10 years now I think but it still works great for me.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post May 14 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

mmm....good idea with the essential oils and honey...I'll have to try that. I love it because its improved my skin SO much, and its cheap - a tub pretty much lasts me a year. Actually, I think I'll go put one on now. ;)

+Quote Post
livelyupurself
post May 14 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

I recently discovered that very mask at Henry's, which is the equivlent of Wild Oats here and I LOVE it! I mix in a few drops of an organic tea tree/lavender essential oil blend, and some honey along with the raw apple cider vinegar. I follow up w/ a few drops of organic jojoba oil for moisturizer. I've been thinking about trying out other things, perhaps some yogurt or lemon juice.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post May 14 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

polly - my favorite mask is the "Aztec Secret Healing Clay Mask" - I've found it at whole foods and wilad oats stores for about $7 a tub. But you use a teaspoon full of powder and mix it with apple cider vinegar into a medium thick paste, and slather it on your face - let it harden for about 30 minutes and then wash off. I call it the "hoover your face" mask because it does exactly that, and you can feel your face pulsating! It makes your face very red the first couple times you do it, because its really deep cleaning, but its really pretty gentle. I follow that with swabbing on organic rosehip seed oil for moisturizer - the oil helps reduce acne scars, and keeps your pores clean.

I do the facial mask about twice a week.

+Quote Post
ladylibrary
post May 14 2006, 06:13 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

*tiptoes into thread* the only thing that will really get rid of stubborn blackheads it a topical vitamin A treatment like retin-A. trust me when i say that i have tried every strip and mask there is to get rid of the ones on my nose. my doctor told me that retin-A will help with acne and unclog the pores so the blackheads are easier to extract and it will keep new ones from cropping up. right now i am using cleocin-t for acne that kills the bacteria on the skin. with insurance it only cost me $8.

*tiptoes out*

+Quote Post
gretsch
post Apr 24 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #7

BUSTie

Polly, that blackhead thing will diminish with some gentle exfoliation... Aveeno has those nice pads with soy extract cleansers. You are on the right track with the Biore strips, extra fun on guys, too, if ya get off on geeking out over the little forest of pore goo after ya peel 'em off... LOL! I know that's totally gross, but whatta rush of instant gratification for getting all that crud out! The Body Shop also makes a good tea tree oil nose and chin mask.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Apr 24 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #8

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

*delurks*

How would one go about starting a regimen to get rid of a serious blackhead problem? My boyfriend has finally agreed to let me help him with his blackhead issues (mainly on his nose, but it's ALL over his nose!) and I was going to do the steam-y hot water thing, then a Biore strip, then one of those blackhead masks. Any other ideas? Is there some kind of leave on treatment I can do? I have a moisturizer with salicylic acid in it- would that help? I know it probably won't go away after just one try- how often should we repeat? Once a week?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post Apr 24 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

the body shop sold? :-(

i don't know why that makes me so sad, as i never shopped there much, but it does.

+Quote Post
govegan74
post Apr 24 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #10

I use Jason's tea tree hand and face wash, apricot scrubble and witch aloe gel. My skin has looked pretty good. I used to use Body Shop until they sold to Loreal.
I also use queen helene mint julep mask.

+Quote Post
keenkitty
post Apr 24 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #11

BUSTie

I use 100 percent organic Jojoba oil mixed with an vitamn e oil caplet. Then I go into the shower to let it open my pores. Rinse it off and dry myself off. I have SEVERE exzema and am allergic to EVERYTHING. But this works like a dream its been 5 months, and little or no pimples. When I have the periodhell I use Benzoyl Peroxide at night. But for the most part if you keep up with an oil that works for your face it helps to keep the skin clean, soft and smooth. For Benzoyl peroxide I highly recommend SAGE at www.zerozits.com

--------------------

+Quote Post
keenkitty
post Apr 24 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #12

BUSTie

I have dry cheeks, oily t-zone and sensitive skin that tans AND scars easily (my father in N african my mother is Sioux indian)

--------------------

+Quote Post
heylady
post Apr 23 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

my report on the visibly even line (of neutrogena, by heylady):

the cleanser is great. although i have dry skin, i NEED a foamy cleaser in order to make me FEEL like i've cleaned all the schmutz off my face. this stufff does that, AND it makes me all soft and flake-free. it is the only stuff that has made me feel like i have the way-uncommon, much talked-about normal skin.

the moisurizer is just moisturiz-y enough for spring and summer months, but you may need to kick it up a knotch for fall/winter (if you have dry skin like me). it really just smells like i'm doing something right. all soy-talked about and good.

as far as making things look more even,,,yes, i have more of a "healthy glow" rather than an "alcoholic flush" these days. does nothing for dark circles, though. i don't know about pregnancy spots, as i've never been.

crossing in don't hate me thread.

+Quote Post
amywoman
post Apr 23 2006, 01:53 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

The Proactiv doesn't really dry out my skin much unless I use the lotion. In general I don't for that very reason. The idea behind it mostly is to exfoliate and kill bacteria with benzoyl peroxide. As BP products go, it's pretty mild. Or it is for me - it irritates other people I know.

I did try going back to the OCM with no olive oil but I continued to break out just as badly, as if I were still using the olive oil. To be honest, though, I had added tea tree oil and grapeseed oil into that mix. Maybe I can't handle tea tree oil either. Going back to Proactiv has vastly improved things but I'm still breaking out pretty badly.

The castor/jojoba/vit E oil combo did work, but my acne was pretty under control already anyway with the proactiv. I'm still considering going back to the original mix, but I'm very nervous. I feel as though I have ruined my face. :-(

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Apr 23 2006, 01:23 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

I'd go back to the oil mix that worked, amywoman...because the fact is, it worked. Olive oil works for some people, others not so well (just as for some people, it's a great oil for health--for others, it can hinder metabolism drastically). The jojoba seemed to work better for you when mixed with the castor oil, so it couldn't hurt to try it again. Adding the vitamin E is a great idea too: wonderful natural preservative for the mix, and it is such a healing, restorative oil.

As for the proactive, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole idea behind that product to dry your skin out (which will then force it to produce even more sebum, and since your skin wasn't functioning optimally before, wouldn't that just create havoc as a result? Just asking...).

The steaming part of the regime is only a minute or so long--I usually do this in the shower, while conditioner is sitting on my head. Don't worry about the oil: it dissolves things like make-up and greasiness. Those expensive cleansing milks sold by all of the high-end cosmetics companies are all set up to work on the same principle--but they have to put preservatives and derivatives in their mixtures, things you don't really need. The simple method is just oil, water, and steam. It will do the trick, too.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
amywoman
post Apr 22 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Weird coincidence that I clicked on this thread for the first time.

The method chachaheels is described I've seen called OCM or Oil Cleansing Method. I tried it for a few months and loved it, and then I switched from jojoba to olive oil. That didn't work out so well. My face broke out horribly and two months later (and after switching back to Proactiv) I'm still struggling with clearing it up.

I could go back to the mix that I knew worked: 75% castor oil to 25% jojoba oil with a bit of vitamin E oil. But I'm scared to do that now, and the Proactiv should have gotten it back under control by now but it hasn't. Others have reported similar acnetastic results from olive oil, but I don't know of anyone who could tell me how to get my face back on track. :-( Any thoughts, anyone?

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post Apr 22 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

i just tried the olive oil alone -- i figure if i'm going to be breakouty for the first few days anyway, why wait till i find the castor oil.

so far, so good. i don't feel like i have any more buildup than usual, and it's definitely better than the castile/tea tree junk i just tossed. my face feels lovely and smooth. i'm a bit worried that, due to living in dirty, sooty new york city, this will be good for the oil but not for the dirt. i'm also wondering if i'll have time to do the pore-steaming every morning before work, so this may be only a sometimes thing. either way, total thumbs up so far.

and it can only get better with castor oil, right?

omigod, i think you might have completely rocked my skincare world, chacha...

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Apr 22 2006, 04:51 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Most health food stores carry a castor oil for use as a heat treatment/inflamation reducer. It's pure with no preservatives added, and not expensive. Jojoba oil is a good choice because it is quite stable: it doesn't go rancid as quickly as some other oils do. It's also not very expensive and its very nice to the skin.

Yes, you can mix a little bit to try it out first, use the olive oil you buy to eat (you don't have to get another bottle if you've already got good olive oil in the house). Hope you like it!

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post Apr 22 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

wow... ok, ok, chacha has officially evangelized me. where can you get castor oil?

this sounds interesting and worth a try, and relatively unwasteful (newspeak, wow) if it doesn't work out as i can just mix up a few days' worth with olive oil to start.

+Quote Post
opheliathemuse
post Apr 22 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

I use olive oil and/or jojoba oil. They're great. I just steam my face a bit, put the oil on, gently cleanse with a washcloth, and voila! If it still feels too icky, you can clean with a mild soap, either before or after using the oil. I like to do it before, since I have dry skin and that way I can take full advantage of the nice oil.

--------------------
There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream.
There with fantastic garlands did she come...

+Quote Post
18 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 18, 2014 - 02:06 PM