The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

32 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What bands are you currently listening to? What excites you?
gogosgirl
post Sep 21 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #561

Hardcore BUSTie

+/-
decemberists
silversun pickups
stars
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wombat
post Sep 21 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #562

Dragon Velocity

I've got to get the new ones by:
Kasabian
Scissor Sisters
Dirty Pretty Things

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Sep 21 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #563

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

The Fratellis, a Glasgow band who sound a bit like Arctic Monkeys meet Franz Ferdinand, have a really good sound and I'm loving Nerina Pallot's album Fires, she reminds me of Jewel.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Sep 19 2006, 01:30 AM
Post #564

It was out here yesterday (and was imported into itunes and on ipod by lunchtime)... I have my tickets in my possession and made a £90 profit on my mistake ones!

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Sep 18 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #565

sassygrrl

Bunny, isn't Scissor Sisters album coming out at the end of this month? I can't wait to see them! I'm buying my tickets (they're coming in Oct) next weekend!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
mouse
post Sep 18 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #566

Most Likely Procrastinating

oh hell, wombat, i wanna party at your house!!

the new hefner boxset of unreleased songs, "catfight" is absolutely stunning. but then again, so is pretty much everything he does.

"all her faculties
all her insecurities
all her short skirts
well they look good to me
she's so punk rock
with her hair like that
lisa don't stop
putting on the puppy fat
i've got a bed that's big enough for two
maybe that two could be me and you

lisa and me gonna beat the dumb fascists
lisa and me gonna cure the crack addicts
lisa and me gonna feed the starving while we're at it
lisa and me gonna beat them alright
lisa and me gonna fuck all night"

*swoon*

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Sep 18 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #567

Ta-dah, the Scissor Sisters' new album, seriously kicks ass.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post Sep 1 2006, 08:50 AM
Post #568

Dragon Velocity

My guy and I have a lot of vinyl, and we just moved, and we're throwing a party.

SOOO the vinyl was all in a hodge-podge. Higgledy-Piggledy. Helter Skelte..... oh, you get the idea. So I was separating and alphabetizing, pulling out the funnest stuff I could find and it's:

Aerosmith Toys in the Attic and Get Your Wings
Alice Cooper Killer
Avengers
Bowie -- Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Space Oddity, Low
Black Flag -- Damaged
B-52s -- the red one, the yellow one, and the blue one.
Doors first album
DMZ-- Monoman from Lyres first band.
Iggy -- Funhouse, Raw Power, the Idiot, Rubber Legs
Gang of Four -- That's Entertainment!
Jimi Hendrix -- are you experienced? Axis Bold as Love
Magazine -- Correct Use of Soap
Pere Ubu -- Art of Walking, Modern Dance, We have the Technology
Jonathan Richman -- the Modern Lovers (with "Roadrunner" "Modern World" and "She Cracked") and the other one, with "New England" and "Lonely Financial Zone")
Roxy Music -- the first one, For Your Pleasure, Country Life, Stranded, and Siren -- with "Both Ends Burning" and "Just Another High" on it
Velvet Underground -- Banana Album, the two disk live in Texas compilation with the woman in th blue skirt on it, and Lou Reed's "Berlin"
X -- Los Angeles and Wild Gift
Zulus - The Zulus

Good times...

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Aug 24 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #569

sassygrrl

Ah, Stereolab. Saw them years back with Sonic Youth. Awesome stuff.
Been getting back into Scissor Sisters and Leonard Cohen lately.

+Quote Post
musicfit
post Aug 23 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #570

I'm absolutely in love with Stereolab. I have their debut album, "Switched on" in my car cd player right now. Lately, I bought a D.J. Spooky cd called Dubtometry that is very cool. I've been getting into Laurie Anderson. I just bought her debut album. She amazes me. I know I'm 2 decades too late, but she really was a pioneer for a lot of Avante Garde artists today.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Aug 22 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #571

sassygrrl

Love Mazzy Star and Conceatu Twins. Also, Beth Orton reminds me of Mazzy Star a little. I need to find a copy of some of their albums again. Been listening a lot to Magnetic Fields, and Pet Shop Boys have a new one out that is really good. There's a great song-- I'm with Stupid--that totally describes my last relationship. Something tells me that Neil was going through a breakup.

Been looking forward to buying an Ipod. I just found out that we get a discount at work. smile.gif

Raconters are coming in Oct! I wanted to catch The Fray, but the tickets sold out in nanoseconds! Boo....

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Aug 21 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #572

belligerently lazy

I've been taking advantage of iTunes lately-they give recommendations of other music based on other people's purchases, and also a 30 second clip of all the songs so you know if you'll actually like it.

I discovered a musician called Bibio, who makes gorgeous, complex instrumental music-there really is no genre for it, but it brings up a wealth of emotion and insipiration when I hear it.

And I've also gotten back in touch with muscians that I've always liked, but never got around to buying a full album-like Mazzy Star-her music was so so so beautiful, and her voice is just magic. Some of my favorite songs of hers are Free, Into Dust, Roseblood, Hallah, Ghost on a Highway, and Taste of Blood. Some of her music sounds almost like Patsy Cline-it has that dreamy, vintage-country music sound to it, but more ambient.

If anyone likes Siouxsie and the Banshees, you must hear Faith and the Muse. I've been listening to them for a long time, but I finally got to hear a couple more albums of theirs, and they only get better. They are a Scottish band, but a lot of their music has celtic influence, and it is mostly really beautiful, dark/gothy music. It ranges from industrial/electronic, to celtic folk music, but most of it is not categorizable. The lead singer has such a stunning voice-similar to Siouxsie's, but even more striking, full, and accented. I think she has one of the most gorgeous voices in music, ever.

And I have to mention Cocteau Twins-I didn't discover them on iTunes, but if you have not heard them, then for your own good, please check them out! They are no longer together, but they were around in the 80's and 90's. They are also a lot like Siouxsie, but I can't really categorize them, other then a very thick, sometimes heavy and grinding, sometimes light as a feather, ambient sound, and another amazing female vocalist (Elizabeth Fraser). Since the band broke up, she has done some guest vocalist work for other musicians. She sang on the Massive Attack song 'Teardrop'. The other major part of that band was the musician Robin Guthrie, who created the amazing music to accompany her vocals. He now does very cool solo 'ambient' music that is reminiscent of Cocteau Twins. I love pretty much all of their albums, but "Heaven or Las Vegas" is my least favorite. Treasure is still my favorite, and the others are all just as fabulous.

Ha, I wish I could write much better music reviews, because these musicians deserve much better descriptions, but all I can say is go listen! I won't let you down!

--------------------
I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you if you don't watch your step.
-Matt Groening, Life in Hell

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Aug 13 2006, 05:35 AM
Post #573

The very best of Nina Simone is currently on loop on my ipod.

Looking forward to the new Scissor Sisters and The Killers's albums out next month and one after, respectively.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ramsay
post Jul 25 2006, 08:01 AM
Post #574

My bf put a band called the Paper Chase on my ipod. I don't know anything about them, but it's all I've listened to the past couple days.

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Jul 25 2006, 06:46 AM
Post #575

Hardcore BUSTie

hello- I am in chitown, I heard about konono no.1 on NPR and rushed out to the store to get some of their music, it is fantastic.

I just saw the Refugee All Stars of Sierra Leone at a festival and they were great too. I am debating about Lollapalooza which is coming for the second time to Chicago. I went last year and Billy Idol rocked my world. As did the Pixies.

About French hip-hop the only guy I know of is MC Solaar who was on one of GURU's ( the cat from Gang Starr) Jazzmataz albums, the first one actually. I know he has a solo cd but it is already ten years old . I would also suggest Les Nubians technically they are not hip hop more soul but French and great music.

+Quote Post
Ready-Steady-Go
post Jul 25 2006, 06:27 AM
Post #576

I stumbled apion this band the other day CSS, they are awesome. I have been playing "lets make love (and listen death from above)" for the past could weeks tre tre good! Also not sure of the real name of the song, just kinda assuming it is that!?Heh

--------------------
I don't want to move to a city where the only cultural advantage is being able to make a right turn on a red light.

+Quote Post
sillygrrl13
post Jul 21 2006, 08:51 AM
Post #577

BUSTie

Oh. My. Cod.
Wolfmother is playing here in September, 4 days before the Raconteurs.
(smiles dreamily, in musical nirvana)

BTW, I got XM in my car & it's the shit! I'm finally getting to hear the bands you Busties talk about (regular radio in this town sucks) AND it makes sitting in traffic almost tolerable, if that's possible. biggrin.gif

Now, if I could see Arcade Fire & My Morning Jacket, all would be perfect, musically speaking.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jul 18 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #578

the moistiest

GAH! Damn you, nohope! I've been wanting to see them since I got my hands on "How We Quit the Forest" many moons ago...

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Jul 18 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #579

Hardcore BUSTie

I am really into the Bravery, which is wierd b/c I don't usually get into pop-like music. But they are really addictive!

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.

+Quote Post
curioushair
post Jul 17 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #580

Hardcore BUSTie

Does anyone like the Detroit Cobras? I just listened to Mink Rat or Rabbit--forgot what a great album that is.

--------------------
Standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me.

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 24, 2014 - 12:35 PM