The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

28 Pages V  « < 26 27 28  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> why can't I just stay unemployed? the job hunting hell
nightswimmer
post May 19 2006, 07:25 AM
Post #541

i'm sorry GGG. Your comment "i feel like I've lost a huge part of myself" is something I've been thinking a lot about lately. it seems that in the US we (the culture, I mean) tend to define ourselves largely by our job. The first question you always hear is "So, what do you do?" This attitude has bothered me for a long time, but until recently had not realized how much I had internalized it. I've just graduated from a master's program in the humanities but was not very successful in grad school and decided I don't want to try and be a professor. Now I am looking for work, any work which pays decently so I can pay off some debts and decide what I really want to do. It's just hard as I've identified myself as a student and humanities field scholar for so long. Even though I want to get out of academia so much it still feels like I'm a shell without it...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post May 18 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #542

sassygrrl

((GGG)))
I'm so sorry.

+Quote Post
lucizoe
post May 17 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #543

Mr. Flibble's very cross.

(((GGG)))

That sucks beyond words...I'm so sorry. That's really great about your boss, but still...

I'm sorry

+Quote Post
demoness
post May 17 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #544

BUSTie

Its not worth all those feelings girlygirl. For what its worth i think you deserve so much better. I hope this helps: https://www.google.com/adsense

+Quote Post
girlygirlgag
post May 16 2006, 09:43 AM
Post #545

Super BadAss

I just got "let go". I feel like the biggest loser in the world. I feel rejected, abandoned and betrayed.

I also was "let go" a week before my biggest convention of the year, which they are not taking meband I don't have the $$$ to make my own LAST MINUTE arrangements, (the cheapest RT flight I found was $800)

I hate everything. My still current boss is trying to get me into another agency downstairs in our building, which he does not have to do. But I still feel like I have lost a huge part of myself.

--------------------
Constantly on.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post May 8 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #546

sassygrrl

I understand. I'm just in this situation where I want to move to a different city, but I have to stay in this city for a while to save up some money for the move. And, there are better jobs in the city that I am going to move to.

Not to mention that I keep getting mixed signals from my family about it. "Sure! We'll help you move!" to "Fuck that. You need a job in Atlanta." to "You CAN'T move to Portland yet..."

I'm half tempted to just tell everyone to fuck off and hop on a plane. But then reality sets in....

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 5 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #547

Hardcore BUSTie

:-(

for me right now (at the beginning of the unemployment cycle), the hard part is telling myself that it's going to be ok. that between my small savings, the freelance gigs i have lined up over the next month, and the big $$ i'll be eligible for from unemployment if i wait till the end of the quarter to apply, i will survive.

it's really hard to not work or look for work each day and know that it's all right, that i'm going to eat. even though i've done the math, and i know that if i'm careful, everything will work out.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post May 5 2006, 06:17 AM
Post #548

sassygrrl

I had a really good interview with a temp agency yesterday. They set me up with an interview with their client today. He just called me, and told me that they cancelled. For no reason. FUCK!! It was a crappy csr job, but it was still a job! :-(

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post May 3 2006, 09:21 AM
Post #549

Hardcore BUSTie

awesome, thank you. Last week i saw an ad for a housecleaning agency that's hriring, and I called and left a messgae and they haven't called back. I kinda wanted to work there to get experience or something, but maybe I'll just start advertising myself now.

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 1 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #550

Hardcore BUSTie

free agent.

a group of friends and i started our own extremely casual housecleaning company back in college. we charged $15 an hour, with a four hour minimum if it was a one-time job (meaning that even if we were only there for an hour, they still had to pay us $60). most people tipped us, too. seeing as we had no overhead, each of us just pocketed what we charged, per job. mostly in cash. i frequently made in the neighborhood of $100 a day, for under four hours' work. if you work for a service, the client is most likely also paying somebody else's salary, office overhead, etc. so you end up basically making minimum wage. and you have a regular 8-hour shift, wherein you clean as many houses as possible.

if you live in a big city which is relatively wired, all you have to do is post a daily ad on craigslist. we came up with a cute business name/concept (something about pirate wenches, i forget the details), too, which probably helped. the money wasn't great, but it was enough to get by on as a college kid, and if you're a freelancer it might be a good way to supplement spotty income.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Apr 30 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #551

sassygrrl

KeenKitty, would that be like an Americorps Vista? Just wondering, I just got out of an Americorps stint... it was hell.

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Apr 26 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #552

Hardcore BUSTie

Has anyone ever cleaned houses as a job? It is better to hope an agency is hiring or work as a free agent? There are a lot of rich people around here and I know a few people who do it, or have in the past. I would like to use environmentally friendly methods too.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 26 27 28
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 19, 2014 - 03:56 AM