Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Been to a good concert lately? The live music thread
period_monster
post Aug 27 2009, 07:26 AM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

This will actually be the second time I'll see Lucinda on this tour. My dad's a beekeeper, so the whole "Little Honey" thing brings me even more joy than usual. Been loving Lucinda a long, long time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kari
post Aug 27 2009, 07:16 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Ditto on Lucinda Williams! That will be a great show.

+Quote Post
anna k
post Aug 26 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

I saw Lucinda Williams a few years ago, she was so fantastic. I hope you have a great time, period monster!

I also remember seeing Dar Williams way back in '98, she was really good.

+Quote Post
period_monster
post Aug 26 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

My recent concerts almost feel more like a confession following the previous several shows. Saw Tori a couple weeks ago. Dar Williams last night. And I get to see Lucinda Williams again next month. Super excited and so very hopeful for some "if wishes were horses, I'd have a ranch" action this time.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Aug 10 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #5

the moistiest

ahhhhh! santogold!! (ok, i know she changed it to santi- but i loved her back when!)

navarro abs?

and tool? are you TRYING to kill me?

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Aug 10 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #6

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Lollapalooza pictures!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Aug 9 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #7

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Stargazer and I were at Lollapalooza all weekend. Tonight, we saw Jane's Addiction from the catwalk. Best concert of my life. I'll post pictures from the whole weekend tomorrow! Off to dream about Dave Navarro.....

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Aug 5 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Just wanted to say a little something about the Yeah Yeah Yeahs show. It was awesome! The opener was great too. I was kind of amused because candycane_boy and I got there an hour late but she was just going on. Also, it was a small venue so we were really close to the stage! I can't believe how close we were to Karen O!

The whole show was spectacular. There was so much energy coming from the band and cc_boy and I were so happy, it kind of felt like those scenes from True Blood with Maryann when everyone is dancing and over the top happy. Anyway, it was great.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jul 12 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

I just had to post about the awesomeness of last night's free Broken Social Scene show! I was a bit disappointed that they didn't play mine and cc_boy's song (Lover's Spit) and in fact there were a few songs I was expecting that weren't played. But it was still a great show. The best part for me was that they had Leslie Feist, Amy Millan and Emily Haines all playing with them! I saw BSS back in November and they had a different girl playing with them. It was kind of funny because Kevin Drew introduced Feist and I said to cc_boy, "Wouldn't it be awesome if all three women ended up playing this show?" And then it happened! By the time they introduced Emily Haines I was jumping up and down and screaming, I was so excited.

The only downside to the show was the assholes who decided to stand on their seats and block the view for the rest of us. A lot of people yelled at them but most of them just kept standing there. So I spent a lot of the show straining to actually see the band but damn they put on a great show! They didn't even leave the stage they were just like "Okay, this is the encore" and then they played not one but four more songs! It was a really incredible night.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jul 11 2009, 08:04 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

I saw Holy Fuck for free last night down at the Harbourfront. It was pretty cool however there were a lot of people there who didn't seem interested in the band. I think they just heard the music and were wondering what was going on. The crazy thing is that they actually went onstage on time. CC_boy and I were a bit late leaving my apartment so we took a cab there and they had already started playing. They played for just over an hour which was cool, although it was weird to go to a show without an opening band. I think CC_boy was right when he said that the opening band is necessary because it kind of gets you into the mood so that by the time the main band starts you're really into it.

Tonight is Broken Social Scene and I can't wait! I bet it's going to be huge!

+Quote Post
anna k
post Jul 10 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

I saw Bettye LaVette and Marcia Ball, two soulful singers, perform tonight in Raleigh. Marcia is a boogie-woogie blues pianist from Louisiana, while Bettye sings soul with a blues rock sound to it. Both were just fantastic and awesome to see live.

+Quote Post
faerietails
post Dec 17 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #12

donut-lovin' heathen

QUOTE(Christine Nectarine @ Dec 15 2008, 12:46 PM) *
faerie, i had no idea there was such a thing! i would have loved to see it. was martha also involved? i saw her open for Loretta Lynn a couple years ago, and also play with Rufus, and she is amazing! i love them singing together too.

yeah, that was my first time seeing martha (i love her!). it was great. i think the concert is a yearly event to raise money for their cancer fund. i tried to go last year, but it was sold out and tickets on ebay were insanely expensive. but i highly recommend it. in addition to the fact that the stage and the audience is star-studded, it's just a lot of plain fun! smile.gif

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Dec 16 2008, 12:48 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

Mercury Rev are playing at the El Rey tomorrow night, but I didn't buy a ticket because it's hard for me to go out during the work week these days. But I'd really love to see them live. Plus, I have a major crush on Jonathan Donohue. Grr...dilemma.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
weirdie
post Dec 15 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #14

Nine Inch Nails came to Victoria on the 5th. Absolutely amazing! Definitely the best light show I've ever seen.

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Dec 15 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(faerietails @ Dec 14 2008, 12:50 AM) *
i saw the mcgarrigle family christmas hour at carnegie hall on wednesday. rufus was awseome, as usual, and he sang "have yourself a merry little christmas" with justin bond, who totally kicks ass. jimmy fallon was also surprisingly funny (i usually hate him). at the end came face-to-face with julian schnabel and natasha lyonne (i had a front row ticket near the exit). the julian sighting was what floored me. i love him!

faerie, i had no idea there was such a thing! i would have loved to see it. was martha also involved? i saw her open for Loretta Lynn a couple years ago, and also play with Rufus, and she is amazing! i love them singing together too.

+Quote Post
faerietails
post Dec 14 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #16

donut-lovin' heathen

mouse, of montreal covered franz?! jealous!! they covered a whole bunch of stuff in nyc (slts included), but franz wasn't part of it.

i saw the mcgarrigle family christmas hour at carnegie hall on wednesday. rufus was awseome, as usual, and he sang "have yourself a merry little christmas" with justin bond, who totally kicks ass. jimmy fallon was also surprisingly funny (i usually hate him). at the end came face-to-face with julian schnabel and natasha lyonne (i had a front row ticket near the exit). the julian sighting was what floored me. i love him!

saw the decemberists and manman recently, too. and rufus wainwright about 2 1/2 weeks ago (yes, in addition to the mcgarrigle thing wednesday. i'm turning into a rufus groupie). he did a solo acoustic show that was incredible.

+Quote Post
tommynomad
post Nov 23 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

Yesterday I saw a band of greying hippy buskers (think the Shuffle Demons in middle-age) cover Franz Ferdinand, the Killers, and Nirvana--on 10 ukuleles--awesome!

--------------------
"If I help women to have babies when they can give them love and affection, [those babies] will not grow up to be rapists or murderers.
They will not build concentration camps."
--Dr. Henry Morgentaler

+Quote Post
mouse
post Nov 23 2008, 04:41 AM
Post #18

Most Likely Procrastinating

of montreal of montreal of montreal of montreal

i cannot even fully convey the costume changes, the puppets, the pantomimes, the body paint, the centaur, the shaving cream, the feathers, the fanny pack, the guns, the suicide by hanging, the animal masks, the videos, the headdresses, the foods, the falsettos, the sequins...

i've loved this band since the 90s when they were twee and lo-fi and embarrassing, and though i will admit i was dubious and disenchanted as they began to morph into the indie-disco-funkmonster they are today, i quickly came around and am thrilled to let them be whatever batshit crazy thing they decided to evolve into.

they finished up by covering franz ferdinand and exited with "smells like teen spirit" which was hilarious because 50% of the crowd weren't even born when that song came out.

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Nov 19 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm going to Duran Duran at the begining of December too Eilleen. Edit: I was going to ask you if you were in Ohio, but then when I posted I saw you are in NJ. Nevermind. I'm rather excited 'cause I've never seen them and my inner 11 year old is spazzing with glee. Yeah, I go from NIN to Duran Duran in less than a month rolleyes.gif strange, huh?

Funny enough tommynomad, I saw NIN open for Bowie, most of my musical tastes seem to rest soley on the shoulders of David Bowie. Sadly when I saw Bowie it was kinda disappointing, he was in his "will only play new music phase" so we didn't get any of the old stuff.

I'd love to see Steve Earle!

+Quote Post
tommynomad
post Nov 19 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Duran Duran are one of the most pleasant surprises of my concert career. I swa them open for Bowie, and they were tight as a drum, and turned this non-fan into one.

Last week I saw the penultimate stop on the Steve Earle-Alison Moorer tour. Interesting that with the election of Obama, the optimism spreads: not one anti-Bush song in the playlist. Lots of biting social commentary, but it appears the duck is now truly lame.

Oh, and Steve is an acoustic guitar GOD.

--------------------
"If I help women to have babies when they can give them love and affection, [those babies] will not grow up to be rapists or murderers.
They will not build concentration camps."
--Dr. Henry Morgentaler

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 24, 2014 - 02:15 AM