Hardcore BUSTie

"How to eat ethically in a world of vanishing seafood"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
anarch
post Aug 6 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

djennma, have you thought about trying your question in the My Two Cents thread in Working Girls?

I'm reading Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. It's eye-opening & thought-provoking re where our food comes from. Like Fast Food Nation, but not just about fast food. It's fantastic. Unforch have to return it to the library tomorrow and there's 104 holds on it before I can get it back again.

+Quote Post
djennma2000
post Jul 28 2006, 04:27 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Hmm--how interesting. I was just looking to start a "frugality"/"Living simply" thread, but here is one!

I'm a soon-to-be single mom who's currently living w/her 'rents w/her daughter (3 generations all under one roof! blink.gif ) who's trying to get herself and her life back under control--both physically and fiscally. My mom (Gods love her) is good w/money--other people's money, that is. I feel a lot of times like she's spending my money FOR me--which is NEVER a good idea. To top it all off, she's something of a spendthrift--she came from money and hooked up w/my dad (Gods love him, too!) who was working class. Dad lost a business about 30 years ago and she's never quite forgotten it. If there's a problem, it's FAR easier to throw money at it, right? AND--what's sad is my daughter is sucking right up to it. When I was living w/my soon-to-be-Ex we were mega-frugal--because we HAD to be because he's fiscally irresponsible. NOW--it's like I'm in the opposite situation, but I end up w/the same problem!! wacko.gif Still NO money (not that it's the end-all/be-all, but I am *literally* w/out any after about 3 days post-paycheck!), still NO way of supporting myself and my little one. I was a functioning adult BEFORE living w/and marrying Lumpy--what in the hell's happened to me since?! dry.gif

So--anyone out there know of resources/stories to help or inspire/books/whatever who can help a fledgling Frugal Princess become a Frugal Queen? AND preferably not alienate my family in the process?

Can't wait to hear!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
pepper
post Jun 28 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #4

oops, this thread was about to drop off the edge of the world, can't have that.

so, my little sister is such an inspiration. she and her boy live is the country(ish) and have been growing tons of their own stuff and have been scavenging junk and finding new homes and uses for it. i just love that girl, i've got nine years on her but i ain't got nuthin' On her at all. she's awesome.

+Quote Post
nohope
post May 14 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Co-op America is a not-for-profit membership organization founded in 1982.

Our mission is to harness economic power—the strength of consumers, investors, businesses, and the marketplace—to create a socially just and environmentally sustainable society.

Our Vision

We work for a world where all people have enough, where all communities are healthy and safe, and where the bounty of the Earth is preserved for all the generations to come.

What Makes Co-op America Unique

* We focus on economic strategies—economic action to solve social and environmental problems.

* We mobilize people in their economic roles—as consumers, investors, workers, business leaders.

* We empower people to take personal and collective action

* We work on issues of social justice and environmental responsibility. We see these issues as completely linked in the quest for a sustainable world. It’s what we mean when we say “green.”

* We work to stop abusive practices and to create healthy, just and sustainable practices.

Learn more about our work »http://www.coopamerica.org/about/whatwedo/ourprograms.cfm

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 20, 2014 - 03:45 PM