The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

47 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> House Of The Gods! Well, actually, it is just my lil' apartment...(the home decorating thread)
Allison-Shine
post Apr 15 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #41

Hardcore BUSTie

I am moving to my first apartment sans college roomies in May. I can't wait! It is in a newer complex and it has a outdoor pool ! A POOL! Just in time for summer!

I am already saving for living room furniture. I already have a decent bedroom set. All the other accessories will come from Target, Bed Bath & Beyond (their 20% coupons always are a help) & a road trip to IKEA.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Apr 15 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #42

Hardcore BUSTie

Rubberdollz, that class sounds like fun! kudos on taking initiative to do your own repair work. Tiling seems doable, but if there is water damage, I would probably want a professional to see exactly what needs to be done. You don’t want that problem coming back. Our landlord redid the bathroom in our apartment himself. it was great to move into a place with a spotless white tiles bathroom, so I could keep it clean without having to deal with years worth of other tenants mildew. However, it was only a matter of a few months before one corner seemed to be growing disconcertingly black. As it would seem, the tub is not level, so water collects there and gets behind the tile or grout or something. He went over it with some silicone for now, but I can just imagine that it will need to be replaced in the not too distant future, since the water is already in the wall. What a waste of money!

On another topic, any suggestions on where to find nice couches? We are, of course, on a limited budget, and I hate the couches as Ikea. Trying to think of some creative ideas…all suggestions welcome!

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Mar 24 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #43

Hardcore BUSTie

So thursday a friend and I are taking a class at Home Depot on how to tile a floor! I'm really excited because our bathroom is really super ugly, someone didn't get the memo that turquoise blue does not look good on the floor and the tub! They did a horrible job tiling so we really want to redo the whole thing. I'm super excited to learn, spring is here and this is going to be a great project.

Has anyone else re-tiled their bathroom or done some major renovations in the bathroom? Horror stories or anything? I'm already noticing that the tile in our tub is "moving" when you press on it so I'm sure I'm going to have some major wall damage behind the tile. I know the wall will have to get torn down where there's damage and I don't know if that will be a project we could do or may have to find someone to do???

+Quote Post
indiechick
post Feb 24 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #44

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks! unfortunately, i won't be able to get them in germany, but thanks for the info nonetheless. smile.gif

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Feb 23 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #45

Hardcore BUSTie

hey indiechick,
yep the cahier prints actually are just notebooks that I found at Mcnally Robinson book store and framed. Unfortunately, they dont say who the artist is either sad.gif so thats poo.

+Quote Post
indiechick
post Feb 23 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #46

Hardcore BUSTie

@foryoursplendor: do you happen to know where the prints are from that you can see during the first minute of the video? there are three of them and they are framed. i think "cahier" is written on each of the prints. unfortunately, google didn't help since cahier is french for notebook. sorry if this question is just totally ridiculous but i loved the prints! smile.gif

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Feb 22 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #47

Hardcore BUSTie

I apologize for posting another video, but a boyish friend of mine has recently made a video about shelves in my apartment. I laughed the whole way through as its made to sound like some ridiculous advertisement or something. I especially love the line, "Putting up shelves is now one of my favorite things to do". lol.

Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll-FZgSQxdc

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Feb 7 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #48

Hardcore BUSTie

That's an awesome idea.

--------------------
you cannot erase the reality of me

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Feb 7 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #49

Hardcore BUSTie

I love my room so much, I made a video of it a few months ago and I thought I would share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWDk3GaNGhU

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Feb 7 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

Last week, I bought two of the cutest little tea pots I've ever seen:

This kitty face
And this one

Someone suggested I get a third one so I can have an odd number to display, but I'm trying to curb the hoarding habit.

Epinephrine, the only place I've seen the 3-D photo ability is on apartment rental sites. If you can figure out who their servers are you might be able to google around for what you need.

--------------------
you cannot erase the reality of me

+Quote Post
geekchickknits
post Feb 2 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #51

Hardcore BUSTie

Not sure where to post this....

A friend of mine just told me he's dealing with a bed-bug infestation. He's hung out at my place a couple of times (though never in my room) and he and his clothes always seem clean. I literally JUST found out, and have not seen any symptoms in my apartment (although now I'll be on the lookout for them.)

Does anyone know how likely it is that he may bring them to my house?

ETA: Cross-posted in the General Knowledge Thread

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Jan 28 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, my little basement bat-cave has improved vastly since I moved in on Boxing Day. I've thrown a ton of money at it, mostly on outrageous hues of paint to brighten the place up a bit. The wall that runs from the living room to the kitchen has a low, shallow mantle running the length of it, which I was able get away with painting a nice dark plum because it doesn't darken the apartment too much. I did a small wall in the corner of the living room and the column running up the middle of the room in the same colour. The hallway is a really bright bamboo green that glows in the light and would be a little overwhelming without all the dark-stained wood doors that break it up. I've painted the sides of my bedroom Cranberry, with the ceiling and front and back walls a subtly creamy white. I'm going to paint the trim, door and windowsills glossy black, and I'm replacing the ugly sliding closet doors with long white gauze curtains, which I hope will give the illusion of windows and airiness. The apartment came partly furnished, including a nice antique glass-door bookshelf and a curvy, clawfooted wooden dresser, which are both going in my room. The little window in the bedroom is south-facing, so it gets decent light, which is actually enhanced with a white rice-paper curtain I found in the trash a few weeks ago. The bedroom is actually going to be awesome, except for the disgusting stained carpet, which seems to have had little designs scratched in the scum. I don't think I've got enough money to redo the floor, so I think I'll just invest in a couple of japanese bamboo floor mats.

The living room has this little nook in it that I originally planned to put my massive entertainment centre in, but it just seemed like a waste of a good space, so I've decided to make it into a little reading area. I want to put a little bed/bench in there, strewn with brightly-coloured pillows, and put some funky built-in bookshelves at the back. I want something with erratic shapes, kind of like this, but more simple and toned-down. I think I'll use whatever recycled wood I have lying around and I'll paint it some jarring colour. The living room also has a small section of brick wall in it with a fake fireplace up against it, and I love brick. I think I"m going to buy a big mirror (or a bunch of small ones, or 3 of those cheap full-length ones from Wal-Mart side by side) and put them on the wall opposite it, to stretch out the brick look as much as possible.

I'm thinking of painting the kitchen a bright yellow-orange, because it matches well with both plum and green, but I'm feeling a bit shy about putting three strong colours in one place. If I can pull them all together with some small pieces, like lamps and furniture, I think I could pull it off. I think the place could use some yellow. A touch of bright pink would pull all the colours together nicely, too. A lamp or a tablecloth or even some cupboards or shelves.

The place is far from done, but I'm pretty proud of it. I'll post pictures eventually. Does anyone know of a website where you can make 360 degree pictures? I made them once at school and they were so much better for photographing rooms.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Nov 20 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #53

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

QUOTE(freckleface7 @ Nov 19 2008, 09:05 PM) *
oh Polly- the light blue w/ silver swirls sounds just loverly!

we re-did our downstairs 1/2 bath in a sort of pale french blue w/ white woodwork/silver fixtures a few months ago and love it. I have accented w/ hydrangea green silk flowerstalks free standing in a corner & hand towels, but also use bits of a dark cobalt blue for dramatic impact as well. I'm all about relating shades from the color wheel but using them in unexpected ways & combinations.
I have some pix I am pretty sure but don't think any of them are super good as it's a tiny space & hard to shoot accurately, but if you want, I can pm you them possibly at crackbook? unless that is- you want to help me post them here? I am utterly Hopeless about posting pix myself ! rolleyes.gif

eh, whatever you want- I'd love to see them!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Nov 19 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #54

beachcomber

oh Polly- the light blue w/ silver swirls sounds just loverly!

we re-did our downstairs 1/2 bath in a sort of pale french blue w/ white woodwork/silver fixtures a few months ago and love it. I have accented w/ hydrangea green silk flowerstalks free standing in a corner & hand towels, but also use bits of a dark cobalt blue for dramatic impact as well. I'm all about relating shades from the color wheel but using them in unexpected ways & combinations.
I have some pix I am pretty sure but don't think any of them are super good as it's a tiny space & hard to shoot accurately, but if you want, I can pm you them possibly at crackbook? unless that is- you want to help me post them here? I am utterly Hopeless about posting pix myself ! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Nov 19 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #55

Yes, we vacuum it- somewhere I heard about the wheels of the vacuum cleaner possible scratching the floor, but that sounds ridiculous and it's never happened to me. I can't imagine what kind of wheels a vacuum cleaner has to have for it to scratch a floor, and that certainly doesn't say much about the floor. If you're that worried about it, "test" it in an area in a corner or maybe where you'll eventually have the area rug; just run the wheels back and forth.

Don't worry- eventually you'll figure out how durable it is- we walked on eggshells with it for the first month or so, too.

The bathroom sounds lovely- someday I want a light blue bathroom, too; like a powder blue and I want to get some silver paint and make some airbrush-y swirly patterns on the walls. My friend had this sink in her old bathroom that was black and had gold glitter swirled in it- very 70's, but somehow it worked in that bathroom. But that's what I want it to look like- very 1950's girly glamourous.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Nov 18 2008, 06:18 PM
Post #56

Hardcore BUSTie

My girlfriend and I recently painted our bachelor apartment dark plum and bamboo green. It looks fucking awesome. On the plum walls we have a large golden-framed mirror and a funky, kitschy 1970s paint-by-numbers painting of a naked woman drinking tea that my girlfriend won in a pie-eating contest, also in a golden frame. On one plum wall we have a glass panel lamp, white with leaves on it. Plain-coloured christmas lights run around the walls of the whole room, with a chain of white globe lanterns, stuffed with christmas lights, running down one corner. Simple bed in the corner with black wooden panel headboard and footboard, little fake plant in another corner, black wooden tea shelf in the kitchen (which still has white walls), unfinished pine trunk against one wall, dark, ancient-looking antique wooden chest at the foot of the bed, boxy grey loveseat, blonde veneer IKEA coffee table, little TV in corner. Terrible standard-issue white polyester-blend apartment curtains, which we will soon be replacing with long white gauze curtains hanging from bamboo curtain rods. The place looks really nice. Unfortunately, I'm moving out at the end of the month, and I'm freaking out about the dark, ugly basement suite I'm moving into. I'll have to really do it up with the christmas lights, lanterns and candles. And the place has - horrors - carpet. Basement. Carpet. I hope I'm not making a terrible mistake. But the place is in a great location, just around the corner from my girlfriend's place, and it's a two-bedroom apartment with insuite laundry and a backyard about six steps away from some of the best waterfront on the whole damn island, and the rent is only 600 a month - about the same as a shitty bachelor suite anywhere else in the city - so I think I'll make it work. I'll probably be lurking in this thread a lot. Wish me luck!

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Nov 18 2008, 03:07 PM
Post #57

beachcomber

am still very much Loving the floor and you were right, the dust is getting less & less each time I sweep.

- you said it's ok to vaccume too? the only downside to the expereince is that they told us *nothing* about the care & keeping of it so I am paranoid & the mr is absolutely Anal about it right now.

no pictures yet, bc the mr has yet to re-hang any pictures & we're looking for area rugs still but will, I Promise.

bought paint for frecklette's bathroom today!
it's been a stripped-wall mess for about 2 years sinse she went all gerbil on us & started peeling the maud-awful tan w/ butterfly wallpaper WAY before we were ready!
however, the color I chose is called 'Summer Dragonfly' and it's a sort of soft, watered aqua that will be paired w/ painted white woodwork & silver, semi-retro fixtures & lighting.
she's going to hate it, but that would be regardless dry.gif . it's going to be quite pretty & I've been itching to use aqua in a bathroom forever!

it's the same No VOC non-toxic brand of paint I'm {still} using to paint the 2 story foyer. it has virtually No Smell and I am loving it.

= sorry to thread hijack!

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Nov 17 2008, 05:15 AM
Post #58

cryostat bitch

Crossposted from the crafty thread:

Question for you artsy crafty types: I have sixteen six foot long bamboo poles, and I want to make some sort of wall hanging from them...something a little sophisticated, but sort of Bali-looking. Any ideas?

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Nov 14 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #59

It probably took 3-4 cycles of dusting/vacuuming to get it all. We did it a year and a half ago and it wasn't until a few weeks ago, when I spilled a glass of milk that got under the 7' x 3' sheet of glass on our dining room table that we lifted that up (took 4 people to lift; luckily my mom & humanist were there!) and also cleaned all the dust that got under the glass.

Glad you like your floors...pictures, once it's all reassembled!

--------------------

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Nov 13 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #60

beachcomber

they finished installing the flooring this morning (actually did all 3 rooms in 1.5 days w/ just 2 guys- yah!) & it looks Fan-freakin'Tastic! so I'm Lovin' it, to the point where I realise if I were a potential buyer seeing the house, I'd totally buy it again smile.gif

we bought a soft cotton /terry type dust mop today too but far have only swept it with a broom.
there is so-much-stuff in disarray right now; it's a lot like moving w/ all the stuff out of place and new end tables & lamps in the living room & trying to purge the contents of the antique(y) german hutch in the dining room.

polly- how long does the Dust last for though?

they did all the cutting out on the front porch, right outside from the rooms they floored.
it's like every time I dust, everythings coated again a little while later.
and I HATE dusting! makes me feel cursed! blink.gif

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post

47 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 30, 2014 - 11:46 AM