The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

97 Pages V  « < 92 93 94 95 96 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
crazyoldcatlady
post May 18 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #1861

the moistiest

in true circle-of-life form, i went to yoga today, and got my ass kicked.

middle-aged beer-gutted men contorioning themselves everywhichway and standing on their heads. meanwhile, i'm sweating buckets and watching my gut fall toward my face during the shoulder stand.

AND, to rub it in, in a totally junior high moment, everyone in the class paired up at one point. guess which bitch was the odd woman out.

SIGH.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sybarite
post May 18 2006, 04:58 AM
Post #1862

it's cards on the table time

My tae bo class is cancelled because our instructor seems to have quit. They are training someone else but don't yet know when it will be up and running again. :-( So I tried out one of the tae bo DVDs. The movements were good and the instructor was positive and not too cheesy. Unfortunately there were a few women in the (onscreen) class giving it 'woo!' and 'yeah!' every five minutes, which sucked. I may try it with the sound down once I get used to the sequences.

Ladylibrary, that happened to me for a good few weeks at the start. After a while (IME) you start feeling your muscles work more and differently, even when you're walking down the street, which is much more fun.

Be careful with the weights at first if you're not being shown how to use them in class. And yeah, complicated equipment=not good, too discouraging!

+Quote Post
snafooey
post May 17 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #1863

I said a boom chicka rocka chicka rocka chicka boom

That's what I'm thinking, Dragonbait. It's hard to find any in my area, though - but I'm definitely keeping that in mind for the future (I'm hoping to move sooner rather than later).

+Quote Post
dragonbait
post May 15 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #1864

Hardcore BUSTie

Snafooey, most studios have introductory rates or deals if it's your first time there. If you studio-hop around, you could probably get 5 or so classes free or at a very reduced rate...

+Quote Post
ladylibrary
post May 14 2006, 06:20 AM
Post #1865

Hardcore BUSTie

i just started working out again and my body is sooo sore. i am not overweight just out of shape. i got a stability ball and some weights and have been doing exercises from magazines. i also got this pilates thing that i can't figure out to save my life. it looks like a torture device. its these resistance band things and it is too complicated.

good luck to everyone!!

xoxox

+Quote Post
snafooey
post May 12 2006, 11:12 AM
Post #1866

Thanks, Ris - I think when I have more money, I'll invest in about ten classes at a studio before I try some DVDs on my own. Even if I don't injure myself, I doubt I'll be getting the most out of it on my own.

In the meantime, there is a local (national?) promotion for the Running Room over here. Buy Vector cereral/meal replacement and get a 20% off coupon on purchases $50 or more (and you know there's no running shoes there under $70). It's good until November too - very excited. I was planning to buy my shoes from them anyway.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post May 11 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #1867

sassygrrl

Thanks for all the advice on the yoga dvds. I plan to pick a few up this weekend. I used to belong to a studio, but that was when I wasn't broke.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post May 11 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #1868

the moistiest

i went to a yoga class last night, and despite the instructors pre-workout seance that included "let there be no competetion, but just an invigorating workout", i think i totally kicked ass.

the older lady who looked like judge judy next to me was pretty good. just a random side note.

+Quote Post
runningwestward
post May 9 2006, 02:27 PM
Post #1869

Hardcore BUSTie

Yay Ris! I want to hear all about the race. If you want to relive every minute of it I am all ears over in the SHS thread. I know I'm a nerd but I want to hear about your race plan too. I get too damn excited about this.

+Quote Post
anna_banana
post May 9 2006, 10:40 AM
Post #1870

Hello all. I'm a newbie. I built up my endurance over the winter and finally completed an 8k race, which had been on my "to do in this life" list for years. Now I'm working on running a 10k next year or this fall, but I know I'll not be going on as many training runs in the summer because I just get too hot - red faced and dizzy. I'm almost into bikini shape, though. I haven't been in bikini shape since I was 29 (7 years ago) and totally and newly in love. I'll know that I'm in bikini shape when I lose that last bit of jiggle around my thighs and bum.

+Quote Post
ris
post May 9 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #1871

Hardcore BUSTie

I hope shoulders have healed and that you all remain injury-free. Sounds like everyone's doing really well.

The 5K was fun. Susan Sarandon and James Gandolfini were there. It was a run/walk though. I wish that the walkers had been told not to be so close to the starting line. I was really worried for their safety. I managed to finish it in 31 min, which puts me at a 10-min mile pace. I'm still slow, but I console myself with the facts that I hadn't warmed up beforehand, that I was tired from a crazy week, etc. (Excuses, excuses, right?) But now I've got the bug and have already planned out which races I'll be doing this summer through NY Road Runners.

And marathon training begins this week.

Oh, yoga, how my hip flexors love thee...
I've given my arguments in the past advocating actual classes vs. doing it at home, but I realize that classes can be expensive. (Um, part of the reason why I am broke.) However, now that the weather is so nice, I'm going to freeze my gym membership and get a monthly unlimited card at a yoga studio and try my best to go every day.

Damn. It's supposed to start raining any minute. Yuck. That means treadmill instead of the park today. Now that I've been spoiled by park running, I HATE THE TREADMILL MORE THAN EVER.

+Quote Post
snafooey
post May 8 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #1872

Re: taking yoga classes first before branching out on your own with a DVD - I know it differs from person to person, but how many classes - on average - have people here taken before attempting moves at home? I took a few classes eons ago and was told I was pretty - at times very - good for a beginner (and really a beginner - I never took jazz or gymnastics when I was younger so I'm not as flexible as I could be), but I remember subtly having my body shifted a lot by the instructor. I can't really afford classes now, but I'd love to try it again.

+Quote Post
snafooey
post May 8 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #1873

I can't wait for the new software.

+Quote Post
snafooey
post May 8 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #1874

*said in my best Cathy voice (or at least what I imagine Cathy would sound like)*

AAAAAAAAAAACK! TRIPLE POST!

+Quote Post
artemis27
post May 8 2006, 02:13 PM
Post #1875

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for the ASS MOVES, people--the running is helping build up the, um, top part of my ass? Don't know what the name for it is. But maybe cycling will help with the rest of the area.

Sassygrrl, I use Rainbeau Mars' yoga DVD, the Vinyasa flow. The Hemalaya Behl "Yoga for Urban Living" DVD is good too, but more for relaxation and stretching than toning. It's got a nice morning routine on it. I used to get a lot of free DVDs through my work and found that the yoga ones were of a better quality than other fitness DVDs. (But, as always, taking in-person classes first is a must so that you have some idea of how to align yourself in the basic positions.)

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post May 7 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #1876

the moistiest

sass- i've been really getting into yoga @ home, and believe or not, i like the MTV yoga/power yoga/ pilates set. Yay public library dvds!

+Quote Post
sidecar
post May 7 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #1877

Queen of the underground

I'm going to start running again. I did a 5K walk with my husband and dog yesterday to raise money for the shelter we got her from, and it was so much fun, it made me want to run 5Ks again.

I've been working out at the gym lately, doing cardio machines a few days a week and taking a class called (gag) Hot Bod, which starts with a cardio/dance warmup and then uses a combination of things (dumbbells, resistance bands, stability ball, bosu, etc.) to do weight training. It's really fun and challenging and I think running will complement it well.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post May 6 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #1878

sassygrrl

This is really funny and very true about the guy weight. I lost about 40 pounds after I left a bad engagement...

I think I'll start to take up running... now that the weather's getting warmer. I was wondering if there are any good yoga dvds out there?

+Quote Post
sybarite
post May 4 2006, 05:58 AM
Post #1879

it's cards on the table time

I remember walk-overs from gymnastics way back in the day. So much fun but I never stuck with it. Hope your shoulder recovers soon dragon!

Snacking: I keep some peanut butter or (bad me) goat's cheese around for snacking. Goat's cheese has a strong enough flavour I never need much. But I'm half in denial about it. I never do the civilised thing of preparing a few oatcakes with cheese and taking it in front of the TV; instead I lurk in the kitchen with a spoon. I know, I'm totally disgusting.

So I skipped the half-assed substitute tae bo/whatever class last night, because I figured it would just annoy me. I walked the 3 miles home instead, mp3s blaring. Might try and do that more often as the weather gets better.

+Quote Post
dragonbait
post May 3 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #1880

Hardcore BUSTie

Awesome, diva!

And yes on the snacking. I just had a bunch of carrots and hummus as I have yoga in a bit, and want to wait to have dinner after.

Ooooh, Ris, what fun! Have such a great time, how exciting. Racing in New York rocks, the running community here is so supportive and friendly. Are runners like that everywhere? I imagine so.

Yipes on all the shoulder injuries going on around here - yummy, maybe rub some tiger balm in there? though I'm sure your masseuse will have good suggestions.

I nearly did mine in while in my advanced class - we were doing wheel pose (backbend), toes against the wall, walking up the wall and kicking over - so like a back walk-over, if anyone else did gymnastics as a kid. We were supposed to try to hold the handstand while kicking over, and it was in my barely-held handstand that I lost balance and began to kind of walk around on my hands to avoid falling on my face (which I'd done the week prior in this class, foolishly attempting a forearm stand in the middle of a room without a spot - I'd been sticking it all week and got cocky. Fell on my face and bit my own lip), and anyway, I guess I twisted myself into such a position that my teacher ran over in a total panic. Needless to say, I'm going to a low-key class tonight.

That is so funny about losing the huge amounts of guy-weight. The wrong one really can be a burden!

As we say to my 2 year old nephew, saftey first, everyone! Me included!

+Quote Post

97 Pages V  « < 92 93 94 95 96 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 22, 2014 - 03:32 PM