The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

97 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
ketto
post Jan 20 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #81

Hardcore BUSTie

Angie, how much are they to rent where you are? Last year was the first year since i was a kid i went cross country skiing. This year I decided to ask for them for Christmas but I bought my own boots. Because I can almost always wear kids sizes, I got some old stock so my boots were only $70 after tax. Good deal.

--------------------
Meow.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jan 19 2010, 09:17 PM
Post #82

Hardcore BUSTie

I went cross country skiing this weekend too! about 1.5 hours each day. It was so much fun, and I fell down a lot, but it sure was a good workout. I liked that it was hard, and made me really tired, but I didn't get any cramps the way I do with running, and I wasn't miserably uncomfortable either. Too bad new skis are so expensive, though, I don't know how often I can afford to rent them!

No weight lost yet, but I already have more endurance. *sigh*

+Quote Post
aquagirl3
post Jan 17 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #83

Hardcore BUSTie

I just joined Nutrisystem. Has anyone tried it before? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jan 14 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #84

Hardcore BUSTie

I took my brand spanking new cross country skis out on Monday. Holy hell, I forgot what a workout it is. It was a warm day (by winnipegs january standars) and I wore my winter jacket and no hat. I went out for 30 minutes and when I got back into my apartment my hair was completely drenched in sweat. Looking forward to going out again tomorrow!

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jan 13 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #85

sassygrrl

QUOTE(spot-on @ Jan 9 2010, 05:21 PM) *
Brush it off, learn from it and move on. Personally I'd rather see people get a good workout DVD over the Wii Fit. Wii Fit is great for people that don't already workout, or if you play video games already and moving is better than sitting with a controller, but for those already active I'd suggest to do something else more intense instead

Wii fit's okay. I've heard EA Active is better. I don't use the Wii fit much though. I've never really sweated from it like a DVD.

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Jan 9 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #86

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(MadameHooch @ Jan 8 2010, 06:42 PM) *
I was doing well for a few days, and totally just f'd up yesterday. 5 slices of piza! 5! But I'm trying not to beat myself up - just get up and dust off and start over. Grrrr. Has anyone tried Wii Fit? I'm thinking of buying it to use on those days I don't feel like going to the gym.

Brush it off, learn from it and move on. Personally I'd rather see people get a good workout DVD over the Wii Fit. Wii Fit is great for people that don't already workout, or if you play video games already and moving is better than sitting with a controller, but for those already active I'd suggest to do something else more intense instead

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Jan 9 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #87

Hardcore BUSTie

Yep intervals are just high intensity/impact work followed by lower intensity/impact work, usually in timed cycles but laps/distance works too. When outdoors for example walking to one lamppost then running to the next 1 (or 2). Intervals can also be done circuit style with weights/cardio

+Quote Post
MadameHooch
post Jan 8 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #88

BUSTie

I was doing well for a few days, and totally just f'd up yesterday. 5 slices of piza! 5! But I'm trying not to beat myself up - just get up and dust off and start over. Grrrr. Has anyone tried Wii Fit? I'm thinking of buying it to use on those days I don't feel like going to the gym.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jan 7 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #89

Hardcore BUSTie

I would imagine it would be fairly similar on an elliptical. When I did interval training for running I would do:

5-10 minute warm up, brisk walk
1 min run
1 min walk (repeat for 20-25 min)
5-10 min cool down

Eventually the intervals changed so I would do:
2 min run
1 min walk
or
30 sec run
30 sec walk
or
5 min run
1 min walk
or
1 min run
1 min walk

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
zoya
post Jan 7 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #90

uh huh.

QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Jan 7 2010, 10:24 AM) *
I just googled interval training and it sounds like you do a few minutes at high intensity and then a few minutes at low intensity, is that basically how it works?

I usually use an elliptical trainer because I hate running but I think I could still do this by altering the settings on the trainer.

cc_girl - yes. sounds easy, not as easy as it sounds. but yeah it works. Also, I'm a sucker for plyometrics. They are fun and help condition your body for every other kind of exercise you do.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jan 7 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #91

Hardcore BUSTie

I just googled interval training and it sounds like you do a few minutes at high intensity and then a few minutes at low intensity, is that basically how it works?

I usually use an elliptical trainer because I hate running but I think I could still do this by altering the settings on the trainer.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jan 7 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #92

Hardcore BUSTie

I agree with interval training. I don't do it very much now but when I was first getting into running again it was all I did. I was able to build up stamina so fast. Now I'm doing 35-60 minute runs easy.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Jan 6 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #93

Hardcore BUSTie

interval training is great for fat/weight loss, research has shown that interval training burns more fat than steady state cardio so yep go ahead with the circuits and weights! Remember to just get out there and DO IT! And also don't sabotage yourself with a poor diet.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jan 6 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #94

sassygrrl

Fell off the wagon too. The holidays and just wedding stress. I'd like to lose 10-15 before the wedding. Should I just go back to circuit training and lifting weights? I'll have to re-read this thread. I thought about getting the P90X, but can't afford it right now.

+Quote Post
MadameHooch
post Jan 3 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #95

BUSTie

I have a wicked sweet tooth but can usually keep myself in check - I was down to a weight I'm comfortable with (I'm happy at 140 and 5"4, but ideally I would love to get down to 130), but have shot up to 155. The holidays were no help and neither is my being surrounded by people who love to eat junk (which I can't resist - yum) and are not supportive of me trying to get back in to my old, healthy habits. When I get off track, I always forget my way back. It's like I get amnesia as to how I stayed healthy in the past!

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Jan 2 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #96

Hardcore BUSTie

Yep total, not just cardio.

As for results/effectiveness it really depends on your goals. Overall health, sure 2x15 mins is fine etc, heck being more active in general is fine. But for cardiovascular benefits etc, losing body fat/weight, gaining muscle then you need to work weights/cardio continuously for a duration of time 45-60 minutes. The 2x15mins thing was aimed at sedentary individuals who need to do something for their basic health. Doing the 2x15mins isn't going to cut down their meds, or lose them any significant weight but they will see some basic overall health benefits in their blood levels etc. Look at the fine print to these articles, *more is better* The lower time/duration is something recommended to those individuals getting back into fitness after years of sedentary lifestyles, or health issues. For the average person, who has no movement issues or health issues then for weight/health/fitness benefits a block of time is much more effective.

Depending on how you are doing the weights/cardio also depends on the workout, so much to think about. For example it's not recommended that you do weights on the same body part on consecutive days so as to give the chance for muscles to repair themselves. My own preference is to do the 45-60 mins cardio one day weights next and repeat. If I am having a busy week and can only workout 3x that week, I do Mon, weds fri and do: abs, weights, cardio in that order, or some kind of combined circuit. The reason I do abs first is because like most people otherwise I tend to slack off by being all out for the cardio/weights then blowing off the abs cos I worked hard already or ran out of time. Weights second in this workout format so we maintain proper form, and cardio last so as to get an all round workout.

Not all exercise formats are equal and what works for one doesn't work for everyone. Time IS a huge factor for everyone but remember you can't put a price on your health!

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Jan 2 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #97

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh busties, I've totally fallen off the wagon. I just moved back to my hometown after 4 1/2 months away, living with my aunts and their home gym, and I'm finding it really hard to work out in my little basement apartment. The only space I have to work out in is the kitchen, and it just kind of sucks. It's really hard to motivate myself. I'm back in my martial arts class, but I need more than that. I'm hoping that my uni's gym will work for me. I have class 4 mornings a week until 10:30, and my Muai Thai class starts at either 11 or 12 depending on the day, so I'm thinking on the days it starts later I'll just hit up the school gym first. I'm also planning on signing up for a yoga or pilates class - apparently there's a queer yoga class that's a lot of fun, and I'd love to join that. I'm down to 140 pounds now, which still a bit much for my 5"1 frame, and I'd like to tone up. I do like my curves, though. It's strange. I have some conflicting ideals for my body, I guess.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jan 2 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #98

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh man. I spent a whole week working out and tracking calories (and keeping them under 1800!) but after two New Years house parties at the end of the week, I've gained a pound instead of losing any. Damn. Oh well, back on the horse, and extra weekend workouts for me this month!

Spot-on, I really didn't know that 45 minutes was necessary. Do you mean 45 minutes of cardio, or 45 minutes overall? And does it have to be all at once? I always thought that you needed a minumum 20 minute cardio component to the workout and make sure to include strength and stretching as well as the cardio, but otherwise things were more flexible. A few years back there were those studies that showed doing two 15 minute blocks of cardio was as effective as one 30 minute block.. seemed unlikely to me, especially for actually gaining endurance. But I did think you could do, say, cardio in the morning but save the weights for when you get home at night?

Sorry for all the questions. As you can see, I really am trying to make some improvements this year and don't know as much as I would like about how it's done.

+Quote Post
snow white
post Dec 31 2009, 01:05 PM
Post #99

Hardcore BUSTie

auntilulu, i work in a doctors office with a parade of drug reps in and out all day, since they can't ring pens, paper, clipboards, ect with they're brand name on it anymore they bring food, on a daily basis we get lunches from reb lobster, applebees, and top notch local places. and don't forget about breakfast! all the donuts and egg mcmuffins you could want.

i'm right now hyping myself up tp get to the gym, my only real deterrent is that it's so god damn cold i don;t even want to leave my bed.

--------------------
I'm not loaded, I'm just tired of being nice

+Quote Post
auntilulu
post Dec 31 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #100

BUSTie

Hey all,

I figure it would probably be a good idea for me to post in here since I definitely need to have some good influences in the weight-loss department as I am surrounded by coworkers pressuring me to have cookies for breakfast on a daily basis.

Anybody else have this problem? I work in a large office that just loooooves to celebrate everybody's birthdays with not just cakes but lots of other treats that everyone is encouraged to try. We seem to have a lot of sagittarians so December was a particularly difficult month. A recent batch of double-chinned photos have really motivated me to get back on track . . . yikes!

Does anybody use Wii fit here? I really like it but I've gotten kind of tired of the cardio boxing already and I'm looking for a good alternative.

+Quote Post

97 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 23, 2014 - 02:20 PM