The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

97 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
foryoursplendor
post Apr 13 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Soooo.... I gave in and joined WW again. I also admit that I am a flaky exerciser. I workout sporadically, when I should be working out regularly. It's easier for me to just eat better than it is to commit to regular workouts in my whack-o schedule. It's better to have something of a plan, rather than just eating anything and random exercise - at least until my "me" time is more abundant.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
edna2
post Apr 8 2011, 02:06 AM
Post #2

Hi! I used to hang out here in the Lounge about a million years ago, but it's been a long time since I've posted. I am hoping that I am not being too spammy by doing this: it's a contest, and I s'pose my friend would love your vote. However, mostly I just want to share this someplace, and I feel like some Busties might appreciate it.

My friend, Sophia, is really inspiring to me and to a lot of other people who take yoga classes at our neighborhood studio. She's super-confident, healthy, and disciplined. She saw this contest for a cover model for Yoga Journal, and she went, "I'm sending my picture in." I love these photos of her, and I love that she's such a great yogini, a living example that yoga, exercise, and health are for everybody, every body size. I also would love to see more diversity on the cover of any damn magazine.

Anyway, here she is: (scroll on down the page to see her)

http://talentsearch.yogajournal.com/view/1260

http://talentsearch.yogajournal.com/view/1258

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Mar 17 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Awesome, Spot-on, I'm checking out your blog right now. And about exercising with PMS, usually it's no problem and I especially favour a good workout to help deal with cramps. This month's headache was more like a migraine, though. Just awful. I wonder if it's my body adjusting to the change in diet. I didn't change that much, really - the biggest change I made was cutting out the yolks from my morning boiled eggs. And on days when I feel like I need it, I'll eat a yolk, too.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Mar 15 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Exercise can actually help reduce PMS symptoms. If you have a hormonal headache I'd stay clear of high impact or loud music, but maybe some low impact or walking. Maybe even pilates or yoga?

QUOTE(epinephrine @ Mar 15 2011, 05:43 AM) *
So I missed my workout today due to a nasty PMS headache which incapacitated me all afternoon. Which means I probably won't be able to work out tomorrow, either, because of cramps and fatigue. And I have an extra class on Thursday evening which will likely prevent me from working out then, too. So looks like this week is kinda blown workout-wise. Boo. Oh well. I'll just take it easy and eat super healthy and load up on the spinach so I get my iron.

One thing I just noticed today: my skin is better than it's been in months! It's almost completely clear, despite the fact that I should be having my monthly pizza-face right now. My worst trouble zone has always been under my jaw, which I've heard is a symptom of poor nutrition or digestive problems. Guess I'm doing something right, then!

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Mar 15 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Yes! Sorry things got batshit crazy round here so I haven't done as much with the blog as I'd hoped to, but my office is finally taking shape so hopefully by mid April I'll be posting workout vids smile.gif

blog: www.workoutwithdi.com

Mostly random health & fitness stuff right now. Feel free to ask questions there though, I don't tend to have time to check in here much anymore, not as much as I'd like!

I've been teaching more classes at work (10+ a week), more PT clients and just started studying for another PT cert. Big life changes happened this year with switching careers but I think I see light at the end of the tunnel!

QUOTE(epinephrine @ Mar 5 2011, 06:59 AM) *
Spot-on, are you still around these days? I'd love to see that fitness blog of yours!

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Mar 15 2011, 08:43 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

So I missed my workout today due to a nasty PMS headache which incapacitated me all afternoon. Which means I probably won't be able to work out tomorrow, either, because of cramps and fatigue. And I have an extra class on Thursday evening which will likely prevent me from working out then, too. So looks like this week is kinda blown workout-wise. Boo. Oh well. I'll just take it easy and eat super healthy and load up on the spinach so I get my iron.

One thing I just noticed today: my skin is better than it's been in months! It's almost completely clear, despite the fact that I should be having my monthly pizza-face right now. My worst trouble zone has always been under my jaw, which I've heard is a symptom of poor nutrition or digestive problems. Guess I'm doing something right, then!

--------------------

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Mar 14 2011, 04:36 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

I love how you ladies are focusing on how you feel as opposed to how much you weigh. It is inspiring, and I love it, rock on!

+Quote Post
ketto
post Mar 14 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

I get so lazy when I'm sick. I feel like I've been going nuts on pizza and cream eggs, haha! I was sick for a while but I've been feeling better the last few days so I played a soccer game on Friday and then went for a 3km run last night. It actually felt really good, I didn't think I'd be able to keep pace as well as I did. That's nice motivation to keep pushing it. Now that the days are so ridiculously long already it seems hard to stay in when the evenings still have good light for running. I only get weighed every 4 months at my endocrinologists and today was the day. I was at 120 which I'm very happy with. Two years ago I was at 135 and now I feel like I don't need to worry about numbers anymore. I really want to build up my strength and stamina again. I can't wait until the snow melts so I can ride my bike to work again.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Mar 14 2011, 10:14 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

So I'm into my second week of this diet and I'm feeling good! I'm eating my veggies and being careful to take my meals on schedule and faithfully logging everything I eat on caloriecount. It's going pretty well. I love that the site shows me all the nutrients I'm getting, not just the calories, carbs and fat. I don't sweat it when I go over my calorie allowance sometimes. I'm doing this to feel good - there wouldn't be any point if I didn't let myself enjoy life and go out for the occasional plate of squid fried rice! I made it to the gym two or three times last week and I've started doing things like lifting weights while I wait for my roommate to take her turn in Scrabble (we play all the time and she's slooooow). I haven't got a clear idea of my weight because the only scale I have access to here is off by 14 kg and its inaccuracies may or may not be consistent, but by my rough calculations I seem to have lost two pounds, which is cool. My goal this week is to go to the gym three times and extend my cardio warmup on the bike by 5 minutes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Mar 5 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Feeling ok today after my reunion with the gym - sore in that good way. I was tracking my food intake on that USDA site and noticed some significant discrepancies, so I scrapped it and switched to caloriecount, which seems much more reliable and user-friendly. According to that site, I only ate 1300 calories today (which is what a person of my size, weight and activity level is apparently supposed to be eating for healthy weight loss) and I felt fine. As long as I eat well at breakfast and lunch, a light dinner and a light diet overall is no problem. I've also found this guide which helps you put together meals within a 1300-calorie allowance, which is exactly what I've been looking for - I want to have choices, but I don't want to have to do craploads of math and planning all the time!

So, I'm feeling pretty good about this. Now that I think of it, this is actually the first time I've officially been on a "diet". It's really not so bad. Next goal: work up the guts to check out a Chinese yoga class at the campus gym!

Spot-on, are you still around these days? I'd love to see that fitness blog of yours!

--------------------

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Mar 4 2011, 07:09 AM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

I went back to the gym today after a month-and-a-half hiatus. I knew I'd be hurting after, so I took it really easy - just half an hour or so, slower pace than usual, with lighter weights and a good 10 minute stretch after the warmup and again after the workout. I've been keeping a food journal all week and tracking my calorie and nutrient intake thanks to this handy USDA site - I know there are probably better sites out there, but this one seems to be ok, if a little limited in its choices. I have to enter pea tips as spinach and things like that. According to the food tracking I did this week, I'm averaging about 1550 calories a day, which seems reasonable. More than I'd expect, actually, considering how much of my meals now are just plain steamed vegetables! One day I only ate 1300 and felt really tired and gross, but as long as I eat smart and drink plenty of water, 1500 is plenty. I've been getting back into having hotpot for dinner - it's great because not only is it super healthy and tasty and easy and customizable, it's dorm-friendly! I just boil water in my rice cooker on the table next to my desk and have a leisurely hotpot meal while I surf the net. Another great thing about hotpot is that it's really easy to pace yourself - you can cook your food a mouthful at a time if you want. I mostly cook veggies and tofu, and I've found that limiting myself to three ingredients per meal eliminates the salad bar effect. My dipping sauce is a very low-calorie mixture of soy sauce, vinegar, chilies and cilantro. I'm finding my veg-heavy dinners tend to burn off quick, leaving me hungry at about 10 or 11 at night, which is annoying, but when the pangs start I have a cup of soymilk or some fruit and it seems to be ok. Surprisingly, I don't seem to be having any cravings - I think cravings may be a side effect of generally indulgent eating for me. When I have whatever I want all the time, I'm more likely to crave things that are bad for me because I'm more likely to be eating them anyway! The website's been a big help - so far, this diet's been not only painless, it's actually been kind of fun. I'm a nerd and I love making lists and looking at charts, so that really helps. Plus it helps me keep track of nutrients, not just calories - I know roughly how much protein, fat, carbs and vitamins I'm eating, and I generally check in after lunch to figure out what gaps need to be filled at dinner.

I have no idea if I've lost any weight, but contrary to what I'd been thinking, I don't seem to have gained much over the past month, if any, so that's a relief. If I'm not too sore this weekend I may go for a hike up one of the mountains nearby. I'm going to aim for 3-4 hours at the gym per week, plus plenty of walks and hopefully a hike once in a while.

I know I've said this before but...my god, I miss having a lifestyle that was healthy and active by default back home! All this planning makes it so easy to get discouraged and slip into bad habits. Ugh.

--------------------

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Feb 19 2011, 06:27 AM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Also, does anyone here know a good resource that can help me plan meals? I know about the food groups and the proportions I'm supposed to eat them in, but I'm not sure how to build a meal plan around them and whether specific meals are supposed to be balanced in a specific way, especially when you factor in exercise. Am I supposed to eat more carbs/proteins/fats at breakfast, for instance, or more sugar before exercise or more protein after?

--------------------

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Feb 18 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

I have the 30 Day Shred and it's ok, if a little easy. The circuits are a nice quick workout that get a sweat going. I didn't follow it strictly or anything, but I doubt it's tough enough to "get you ripped in 30 days" or whatever it promises. I used it for days when I was feeling lazy or pressed for time. I liked the "No More Trouble Zones" circuits better - the ab circuit was absolutely brutal, I could barely stand up straight the next day!

--------------------

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Jan 27 2011, 07:27 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Has anyone tried the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred?

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Jan 13 2011, 05:51 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Yep TurboJam is heavy on the pounding floors for an apt, the creator of TurboJam is the same woman who has new series out called TurboFire just incase you want to go the DVD route. If not for home workouts I'd say TRX and running outdoors would be your best thing, TRX ROCKS!

QUOTE(ketto @ Jan 10 2011, 06:16 PM) *
Back when I lived with my folks I used my turbojam dvd a lot, which was a pretty basic run of the mill dvd workout but it was a good mix. But now in our apartment I feel like the movements would be way too loud for our neighbours. I really feel like I have to find outdoor sports to occupy myself in the winter and get moving.

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Jan 11 2011, 07:42 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey Epi, oh no need to apologize I didn't take it that way at all! But thank you so much for being so thoughtful and sensitive to my feelings. Few people I've ever known would have even thought to notice anything like that, so I appreciate it a lot!

I'm back at school again now and already finding it hard to keep a routine- we gotta find a way to motivate each other!

Glad to hear you're feeling better ketto, get out there and kick some butt!!

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jan 10 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

Epi, I feel the exact same way you do. I got sick and then I got full of christmas treats. I'm lucky in that I live downtown and can walk to almost anything I need but I don't really have the need to go anywhere that often so I have to make my own time to exercise.

My soccer game on Saturday got me off the couch again and once more seems to have kick started my activity. All of a sudden I have tons of energy to burn so I've been in the kitchen cooking, reading books, and motivating myself to venture out into the cold weather. Yesterday I did some skating, only about 5k since I've been sick, and then today paperboy and I did a very short little run just to get our bodies moving a bit. I always forget how much I love running in winter until I get to. There's so much less people (although tons of bikers today) and I love the cold wind on my face. I'm hoping to get my ski's out again this weekend too.

Back when I lived with my folks I used my turbojam dvd a lot, which was a pretty basic run of the mill dvd workout but it was a good mix. But now in our apartment I feel like the movements would be way too loud for our neighbours. I really feel like I have to find outdoor sports to occupy myself in the winter and get moving.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Jan 10 2011, 06:17 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

As a fitness professional I'd say if you have $200 bucks to blow get P90X or a TRX. Both will work you harder than the Wii anyday!

QUOTE(squirrelgirl88 @ Jan 9 2011, 09:08 AM) *
If you have $200 bucks to blow this month, do yourself a favor and GET ONE. Not only is it fun, but the games are not time-suck games like other consoles. Most levels/areas/etc. in Wii games take 10-20 min at a stretch, so you can play games and still have time to do other things. Also, the Wii exercise stuff is so fun!

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Jan 9 2011, 09:21 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

Bah. Totally fallen off the wagon in the past few weeks. Between exams, a bad cold, miserable energy-sapping weather, and some digestive unrest due to sketchy Chinese food, I haven't been working out. Knowing that I'll be on the road for six weeks doesn't motivate me much either. Getting into a routine knowing that I'll only have to break it again in a week just discourages me, so I haven't even bothered. I hate not working out, though. It just throws me off. My digestion, appetite, metabolism, sleep, mood, everything. I don't know why I have such a hard time motivating myself when the benefits are so immediate and so huge. I guess I just resent having to make time for it now. It bugs me that I have to schedule a slot in for "maintenance" when I'm used to an all-around healthy, active lifestyle that didn't really require this level of premeditation and focus. I never really had to think about exercising before, it was just a part of my lifestyle. It doesn't help that the gym here is a smelly run-down old dungeon. I miss my bike so much I can't stand it - I loved being able to work out and commute at the same time, never having to think about where I'd fit in a workout. At this point I know I'm not going to get fit while I'm here - the best I can hope for is to maintain my fitness level enough that I'll be able to resume my active lifestyle somewhat painlessly when I go back to Canada.

And I'd like to apologize to Buttercups for my comment on the bellydancing - I'm so, so sorry if I contributed to your body issues by making special mention of the benefits of curves for bellydancing, I actually had no idea you were a petite girl and when I read your post on working out and learning to love your body I just jumped to conclusions and assumed you wanted to loose a few pounds. In my experience, bellydance is the best way to see your body differently without actually changing anything, but I've only experienced it as a curvy girl. In all my bellydance classes there were women of all ages, shapes and sizes and they all looked gorgeous and radiant and feminine, so my recommendation still stands!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jan 9 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

After weeks of being sick I had a soccer game last night and I was surprised how good I felt on the field. Today I did about 5 or 6 km skating and I'm going again tomorrow. It feels sooooo good to be moving after being completely sedentary for 3 weeks.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post

97 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 31, 2014 - 05:44 AM