Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm A Birth Control Pill Moron
pollystyrene
post Aug 13 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #1

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

I was on that after my pharmacy stopped carrying Seasonale. I don't think I had any bad reactions to it, but I read there were a lot of people who had issues with the generic (there's two- Jolessa and aonother one, something with a "Q")....I was on the 4x-a-year pill, in some form or another, for about 3 years. Once I stopped spotting in between, which took about a year, I didn't have any problems. I'd just been on the pill for about 10 years and it was time to get off it altogether.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Aug 13 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Has anyone on here been on the birth control pill Jolessa? Its the generic of Seasonale and I just got put on it today because I've been having horrible cramps. I was on Lo-estrin for a year and I've never really had any problems with the pill. Just wondering if anyone experienced any side effects after not having their period for a couple months?

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Aug 3 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Candy, there's more and more scientific studies showing the long term effects of the pill over the last couple decades. Mood swings and cycle problems are still considered "anecdotal" despite how often they happen to women on the pill. Breast cancer is also still up for debate. Loss of sex drive, and problems related to testosterone deficiencies (such as loss of muscle mass & physical strength) have all been proven in some pretty big studies. I just read Taking Charge of Your Fertility, and the author actually accuses the pill of physically damaging the glands of the cervix that create cervical & arousal fluid. This is why women have trouble charting their cycles for the first few months off the pill. That scared the shit outta me, because I had dryness problems too on the pill, but she says the damage is usually slowly repaired after stopping the pill, and I've gotten better finally, about 6 months after stopping.

There's links to websites, studies, and a ton of information in the forum Quitting the Pill

Also, a ton of teenagers have horrible cramps that go away once they finish puberty. 2 or 3 of my friends did and they are fine now. I don't know if they go away because doctors are so eager to prescribe the pill for these things, or just because we grow out of it, but I know when I stopped the pill the first time, my peroids were half as heavy as when I was a teenager, and my cramps had almost disappeared.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Aug 3 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

I have felt at times that I go dry a bit easily. Like, cc_boy and I will be going at it just fine but if we try to switch positions it's like I go completely dry.

I just don't understand the random cramps throughout the month. I used to think that maybe I was cramping after orgasm because the orgasms were so intense that maybe all my muscles were clenching.

The worst period I ever had was one where I was in so much pain that I started to black out. It was really scary because no one was home. I just wanted someone to get me a glass of water but instead I managed to sit down and stay there until I was strong enough to get up again.

The heavy periods really get to me. They aren't constant but I remember being really upset last year when I managed to fill up my Diva cup in under an hour!

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Aug 2 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #5

I've heard of a lot of women having problems as they get close to the ten-year mark. I've heard that they can become less effective around ten years and that your risk of cancer and other problems that some people think are caused by the pill increase once you've been on them for ten-plus years....a lot of it could just be stories, but as I got close to hitting ten years, I decided to go off of them. It just didn't feel right anymore. I spent a week off of them because my mail order pharmacy changed and there was a lag in getting them shipped to me from the new place and that week was a real eye-opener as to how much of my sex drive I'd lost. I finished the pack I was waiting for from the new pharmacy and then quit. During that last pack, I was forgetting pills left and right (and I almost never forgot to take it!) so I felt like it was my body's sub-conscious way of telling me that it didn't want to do it anymore, that I was forcing it into something.

I've been off them for almost a year now and I feel pretty good. I started religiously tracking my periods; not to the extent of checking my temperature or anything- since I'm CBC, I have no interest in my fertility (and since LeBoy got snipped, I'm not worried about protecting myself against pregnancy), but I went from not keeping track at all to using MonthlyInfo.com to at least log in the date it starts and what sorts of symptoms I'm having. I've been diagnosed with PCOS, but strangely enough, I've been pretty regular. I'm on a 28-to-32-day cycle, and I haven't missed a period yet. It was much heavier when I first went off, lasting about 5-6 days. The last couple months, I've only needed to wear a pad for about 3 days! And the cramping's gotten better.

When I was a teenager, before I went on the pill, a couple times a year, I'd have these awful cycles, where I'd be bleeding heavily, cramps where I couldn't sit, stand, lie or sleep, cold sweats, couldn't concentrate, diarrhea, nausea....I called them uterine migraines because I'd be sensitive to light and noise and temperature. It was just unbelievably bad. It never happened again once I went on the pill and it hasn't happened in the past year. 10 years is a long time for your body to change, so your periods could be a lot different than what they used to be, cc_girl.

As for the specific symptoms you're having, sorry, no idea. sad.gif

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Aug 2 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks to a troll on another community that I post in, I'm just wondering, does anyone know if there are true long term side effects of birth control? I have been on the pill for the majority of the last NINE years!! I started when I was 15 because of terrible cramps. I don't want to go off because I'm actually using it for birth control and my doctor said that if I go off it my periods will most likely be a lot heavier and my cramping would be even worse.

However, in the last year I have found that I get cramps randomly throughout the month and I get cramps after I orgasm. I can't go on like this. Also, this never used to happen so I would like to know what changed.

+Quote Post
eleanorrigby2008
post Dec 8 2008, 07:31 PM
Post #7

BUSTie

Thanks! That'll make the boy happy smile.gif

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 8 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #8

Nope, shouldn't cause a problem, as long as you're consistent and use backup for a couple of days. I don't think you even need as long as when you initially started taking them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
eleanorrigby2008
post Dec 8 2008, 11:55 AM
Post #9

BUSTie

My pill took a week to become effective, but I don't know if that's the same for everyone.

I just recently began taking it at a different time (because of my class schedule). I'm waiting another week for it to take effect, just in case, but is there anything else I should be doing? Is it okay that I changed times?

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 6 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #10

I don't remember how long it takes to be effective when you first start, if it's a couple of weeks or an entire cycle. I know if you miss one, you're supposed to use backup for several days.

I've never really heard any correlation between weight and efficacy with the pill. I've heard it can affect the efficacy of the patch, though.

Jsmith, maybe try calling a pharmacist. Sometimes they know about those lesser-known drug interactions than a doctor. Maybe call a couple of them just to make sure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Dec 5 2008, 05:59 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

How long do you have to take the pill before it is actually effective? The other thing I'm worried about is my weight. I have heard that the pill is less effective in heavier women, however, my doctor did put me on a higher dose pill.

And it's not totally related but a question to Canadian ladies, can the sponge just be purchased at a drug store? I'd like to keep using that as well until the pill kicks in.

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Dec 1 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #12

It's Calamity Jenn

What about a vitamin? I took a One-a-day at the same time..

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 1 2008, 04:49 PM
Post #13

Never heard that, but taking antacids, like Tums, within 6-8 hours of taking the pill can affect absorption.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Dec 1 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #14

It's Calamity Jenn

I've looked for info on this but couldn't find anything helpful:
If you take your pill on a very full stomach, will that interfere with it's absorption? Reason I ask is because I had some breakthrough bleeding today, and I took my pill after stuffing myself last night. I'm on Loestrin, and on this pill the flow starts the day after I fail to take an active pill.

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Nov 13 2008, 09:42 AM
Post #15

Yeah, but a NuvaRing is just left in all month, right? Do you keep it in longer than a month?

Because the packaging on the pills is dated and they start on Sunday, that's why you would start them on a Sunday, and yes, it would be the first Sunday after your next period. If it starts Monday, you'd wait until the following Sunday. If it starts Saturday, you start the next day, even though you're still bleeding. Once you start bleeding, the pill isn't going to stop it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tyger
post Nov 13 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm fairly certain you can start whenever you'd like (at least I did with mine, which is the NuvaRing). It's just that if you start randomly in the middle of your cycle the entire first month you need to use backup, while if you start it within five days of your period starting I think it's effective after two weeks. I started mine when I did for the sole purpose of not having my period while camping, to be perfectly honest.

+Quote Post
Sststststutter
post Nov 10 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #17

BUSTie

hi everyone. i just went to the gyno today, and i've decided to go on BC for the first time. She prescribed me yaz... which i've heard mixed things about it (i.e. it makes people moody) but i guess i'm going to give it a try, especially since i'm 23 and feel like i'm breaking out far too much than i should be by now, and its supposed to help acne or whatever.

i'm confused about one thing though, and i was hoping you guys can help me. i'm at the end of my period right now, and so the doctor said i'd have to wait until december... did she mean like, i have to wait until the sunday after i get my next period? i don't get exactly when i'm supposed to start. what if my period comes on a monday? is anyone familiar with this?

--------------------
all you need are drums to start a dance party:::...

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Oct 29 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

When I was on birth control I found out that it can actually help yeast grow even in your intestines. I'd had acid reflux for years!!! One day I decided to go get a colonic to see if it would help the reflux I'd had and while in the process she let me know that I had a huge yeast problem in my body which causes the reflux I'd been experiencing. I never knew that birth control could do that to you??? So I did what I could to try to stop the yeast from growing but it always came back. I've been off birth control for about 4-5 months now and not a damn problem with yeast.

I think you need to figure out if birth control is your best option if you are prone to yeast infections.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Oct 28 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #19

I was on the pill for about 9 years and the last few of those had horrible irritation and itchiness throughout the whole cycle, but much worse right around my period. My doctor did tests for yeast infections and there was nothing. It was just the hormones from the pill causing it. I finally stopped taking the pill in August- I'd just had enough. I rarely forgot to take my pill everyday and when I realized that a couple times in July I had forgotten 2-3 pills in a row, I figured it was my body's way of telling me it was time to get off. I was just starting to feel like I was forcing myself to do something I didn't want to anymore.

Since getting off them, the irritation is about 80% gone. Definitely none of the raw, dry, itchy irritation I had before.

I don't have an IUD- we're just using condoms until LeBoy gets around to getting snipped. There is a separate IUD thread, tree, if you haven't already found it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tree
post Oct 28 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #20

Ok. I'm trying to grapple with this birth control thing, and am looking for some advice, so I figured I'd put it all out there in the hopes that one of you has some experience with something similar. I have had battles with yeast for the past 9 mos or so, as well as some irritation/pain problems (diagnosed as vestibulitis/focal vulvitis) that may have been a result of all the treatment for yeast. I stopped using latex condoms, but even the non-latex ones still irritate a bit. I'd love to go on a non-barrier method, but have heard that both the pill and IUDs can cause more yeast problems, and that the hormonal components of the pill are bad for people who have irritation problems (thins skin, worsens vestibulitis, etc). And that IUDs are annoying if you haven't had babies.... Any advice? Copper IUD vs. Pill vs. hormonal IUD? Thanks!!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 23, 2014 - 04:04 AM