I know what you mean, but it is not really hard... you should do it

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
greenvirgin
post Sep 23 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(stargazer @ Aug 17 2010, 05:40 PM) *
Has anyone used soapnuts as their laundry detergent? I'm considering using soapnuts as an alternative to commercial laundry detergent and wanted some feedback.

Thanks!

This may be too late in getting to you, but I wanted to add this note nonetheless. I use soap nuts for my laundry and love them. The brand I use is www.greenvirginproducts.com. Hope that helps!

+Quote Post
enfermera
post Apr 18 2011, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

heh, well, i mopped the kitchen floor with it, and it was still so sudsy i slopped it on the porch and steps and swept off all the pollen and berry-based bird poop that is so prolific here this time of year. plus, i've heard that soap suds can be good for plants, although i'm sure it depends on the type of suds and the type of plants. thanks for the knowledge!

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Apr 18 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #4

Big Fat Bitch

SLS has gotten a well-deserved bad rep for irritating the skin/hair(And supposed links to cancer, but really, according to most studies everything will give you fucking cancer!), but it's fine for cleaning & isn't going to cause two-headed kittens. You are a-okay!

And out of curiosity, why are you just dumping shit outside? Isn't that what sinks are for? And I KNOW people are dumping way nastier shit than Dr. Bronner's down the sink.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
enfermera
post Apr 18 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

hmm, i'm a little confused. sodium lauryl and laureth sulfates and sulfites: bad for the environment, or just bad for skin and hair? dr. bronner's sal suds appear to be largely SLS; i just cleaned my whole kitchen with it and got really impressive results, but i thought that stuff was bad to just dump outside? or am i just getting it confused with petroleum based cleaners?

+Quote Post
conbot
post Jan 7 2011, 09:22 AM
Post #6

BUSTie

Those reusable grocery bags look great. Googling now for a suitable crochet pattern to make some myself. I've also crocheted up a bunch of cotton face cloths. They're the best thing for scrubbing dishes and make nice gifts as well. My favourite patterns for them are from Lion Brand Yarns. The patterns are all free, you just have to sign up with an email address (no spam ever). That said, any crocheted square will work as a face cloth.

+Quote Post
Ricky9Duck
post Dec 23 2010, 06:54 AM
Post #7

Nice recipe!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ketto
post Nov 23 2010, 08:42 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

I bought some for that exact reason, Persi. I got them from Lunapads 8 years ago and I don't have to use them very often but I really like them. They're easy to clean and a lot more comfortable then plasticy pads.

Koffee, I like the tea tree oil idea. I've never thought of that but I have a bottle of it in the cupboard. We use the same kind of things to clean.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 23 2010, 07:30 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

I have a sewing machine, so it's easiest to make my own...BUT I have seen some fantastic sets on Etsy. The women who sell them generally use them themselves and can answer any questions you'd have before you make the commitment to buy.

I've never looked at Party in my Pants...it sounds like a fun site.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Nov 22 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

(cross-posted in Bloody grrrls thread)

Has anyone tried re-usable pads? I love my Diva cup, but need a bit of back-up on heavy days.

I looked at Party In My Pants and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Ooh, I have green string bags for my veggies too! And it means I get my food cheap, as the grocer insists on knocking off a few pennies to offset the 'weight of the bag'.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 20 2010, 08:15 AM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Those bags are awesome...I understand that Europeans all use those same bags. I like to make some of my own, of coures, but I can't possibly knit 5 cotton bags for $30.

I made a bunch of lovely cleaners these past weeks...I've always used borax, baking soda, vinegar, etc. to do the cleaning...but when they are scented with a fir pine or cedar essential oil, they are fantastic. The best trick ever...I took some baking soda and scented it with tea tree oil, cedar and pine and put some in the bottom of the cat litter boxes...it really helps with cat smells and eventually the platic litter box will absorb some of the oil's scent. Much nicer than cat funk.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Nov 20 2010, 03:39 AM
Post #12

Big Fat Bitch

I have been using this style of string bag for my groceries for a couple years. They are awesome & can be had much cheaper elsewhere, I just wanted to give them a shout out! Ultra sturdy & they can hold up to forty pounds, which is good because my grocer uses cheap bags that they won't put more than five items in. I'm like, "Keep putting shit in there! FORTY pounds, bitches!"

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
anarch
post Nov 20 2010, 02:56 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

lead particles are most likely to be in [polypropylene] reusable bags made in China. The risk, while present, is minimal: over time, the most likely outcome is that during the decomposition process the lead could potentially leak in to groundwater or, as the bag becomes worn, even flake off in to your food. Yum.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 20 2010, 11:41 AM
Post #14

I'd get a rain barrel in a hot second if I could find one at a reasonable price! I've heard nothing but good things about them. If the tap is at the bottom the pressure from all the water above is pretty heavy, they are supposed to work well. You can have your down spout empty into the barrel too.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Aug 18 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Star, I'm curious too. I've seen them at a local organic store recently and we're almost out of regular detergent. As much as it will bug paperboy to try something "alt" (at least when it comes to laundry), I think I'll grab a bag and try them out.

Nick, my mom picked some up last year and she loves them. She keeps one right beside our veggie garden, attaches the hose to the nozzle and it works well. Not the highest water pressure, since it depends how full the barrel is but good for watering the garden. I don't know if it would really work for washing a car. I would think the barrel would empty pretty fast doing something like that.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Aug 18 2010, 08:45 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

my county is offerring discounted rain barrels. has anyone used this to water shrubs, wash cars, etc? how decent is the water pressure?

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Aug 17 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #17

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

QUOTE(stargazer @ Aug 17 2010, 04:40 PM) *
Has anyone used soapnuts as their laundry detergent? I'm considering using soapnuts as an alternative to commercial laundry detergent and wanted some feedback.

Thanks!

I know turbo does, and maybe tart, too.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Aug 17 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #18

brown delicious

Thanks!

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 17 2010, 03:15 PM
Post #19

I've used sunlight, linda, and one from the dollar store so I think any old kind will do. If you aren't sure, try it as it's supposed to be used (to spot treat or hand wash something) and see how you like it and if it bugs the boy's skin.
Borax can be an irritant for the truly sensitive I've heard, I used this soap with baby clothes without issue though so... how bad can it be?

+Quote Post
Soonia
post May 17 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #20

I've heard rumors of this bill, but can never pin down details either. The whole thing frightens me. Off to read those links next...

and Pepper, as a belated reply to your laundry soap tutorial. THANK YOU! I've wanted to try for a while, and the pics were what I needed to get motivated!

A quick question, if you don't mind: what brand of laundry bar soap do you recommend? I know that Fels-Naptha is pretty common, but just read in one of the amazon reviews that it isn't recommended for regular use, since it contains stoddard solvent, a "skin and eye irritant ", which is worrisome as the boy has super-sensitive skin.

I found some handmade lye laundry soap bars on etsy, anybody know if that might work?

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 19, 2014 - 01:39 PM