Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

36 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 36 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Busty Mom's of not so wee ones
voodoo_princess
post Jul 3 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #661

Hardcore BUSTie

hey freck..... i got your mail and i'm so sorry i missed your call(s)..... i have been so amazingly busy and crazy between the kids, babies i sit with and the Mr......
i think things are calming down now.... i'm gonna try to give you a call soon, the week(day) is just a crazy time for me..... sorry to be a bad friend, i'll get it together soon, promise!!!!
LOVE xxxxxx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Jul 2 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #662

Hardcore BUSTie

mando- I can see where I sound pretty extreme in my punishment of frecklette,but she had already lost the internet for a month a week after school let out & was about to get it back til this latest round of nastiness. understand: I'm a pushover sometimes, and will check to see if her online penpal has written her, and when I saw she did, let freck read it & write back quickly. she was content. we clash so much over the Parental Controls & how limited she think it is (it's an aol Kids Online account) bc I won't let her go into chat rooms etc.
my big thing is, all the parenting experts say to deal in the "currency" that means most to your child. well w/ frecklette, it's books. she really does Live for them. it's the ONLY thing that has any impact on her as far as punishment, even when she knew that if she'd just stop smarting off so much, her dad & I would give her own tv & dvd player (extra's sinse he bought a tv in iraq)there in her room. that is usually a big thing to a kid, isn't it? not frecklette!
she does have chores to do, loading and re-loading the dishwaster, feeding the dog & cat, picking up apples and pears in the backyard, and pinecones in the front, keeping her room straight, simple stuff like that. our deal has Always been: do these things w/ out us having to yell or scream at you to do them, and do them RIGHT (she's nortorious for 1/2-assed) & you earn an allowance for them. but if we have to repeatedly get after you & get ugly about it, no money. simple. so far she has chosen procrastination over money. so see now again, if we said ' no chores, No New BOOKS' it's a whole different song. siiiiiigh.
thanks for your input.

bere, freck is just who she is. when she was small, or younger esp, each gift-giving occassion I specifically gave her "boy oriented toys" to counter act the "girl specific toys" she was given, just to provide balance. and we didn't do barbie, but I did encourge her to be "girly" as far as learning to enjoy being feminine and pink and stuff, while at the same time showing her that girls/women can do ANYTHING that boys/men can do, even if it's sometimes done in a different way abd vice versa. truthfully, I'm going to risk sounding stoopid here, but I'm not sure I understod what you meant? kids are kids.
frecklette is a good blend of male/female energy.
she hates going outside (me) bc she has such bad bugbite reactions, but loves to be rough & tumble & wrestle(mr) w/ us still. she hates to shop, but loves to read. hates museums (mr) but loves kitties (me.) she just is who she is, and as she's the only child I have, and am not around my nephews enough, I don't have any comparrison.
pepper: I think that is radically too cool a thought to not tell anyone your kids gender and let them be. wow. that hits crazi hard and I will have to think on that awhile.

this weekend has been massive 'oh shit the in-laws are coming' cleaning, and so frecklette got to not just change the cat box, but also got to (like it's a treat) take it outside & scrub it down too. she did a really good job. better than I expected. if she'd finish her room now, I do think I will suprise her and give her some money for a job well done.
reward has it's place,thanks for reminding me of that mando.

you mama's rock ~

--------------------
I am a *spark* in this world; get lit.

+Quote Post
mandolyn
post Jul 2 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #663

Hardcore BUSTie

"...lost access to the interet all summer as well as the tv for a month & is next in line for losing her books." freckle, that just gave me an anxiety attack just reading it. it sounds a bit excessive, but of course i don't know the details of frecklette's bad behavior and i certainly don't mean to criticize or question your parenting skills. i'm just afraid it could backfire and make her "hate" you and push her toward being MORE defensive, resentful & defiant. i would also think about assigning chores, especially to help with responsibility and her self-esteem (ie: sense of accomplishment).

danny's 13 going on 14 and i've never let him go to a movie alone with a friend. i've only just started letting him go to the men's room alone when he and i go to a movie. (um, not that i ever went in with him, but when he was too old to come with me into the ladies room, i'd go with him and stand outside the men's room and wait. anxiously. "and don't talk to anyone!") i've only just started letting him walk to the local shopping center with his friend, and if he asks to go to a movie during daylight hours, i'll probably let him. i've let him stay home alone for a few hours at a time since he was 9 or 10. and all day alone for the past year or so. but he knows not to answer the phone or answer the door, unless it's me, dad, or grandma. he has strict rules. i trust him.

but just when i'm getting to the point of being ok with leaving him alone all day, last week, a strange man walked onto our front porch, didn't ring the doorbell, just sort of ... loitered. i opened the front door, immediately locking the screen door, and asked him if i could help him. he was looking for "maurecio", i said there was no one here by that name, and he apologized and ambled off. he definitely looked like a strange character. possibly stoned. i watched him drive away. but ever since, i've been creeped out. so danny has to lock the screen door the minute he gets up in the morning. and call me to check in.

not sure about the boys being different from girls discussion, berenquela. i'm not the most pc/feminist on the planet, and my son tends towards books, movies, computers, and doesn't have a rough n'tumble bone in his body. he's only now becoming a rabid sports enthusiast (watching, not participating), and i suspect that has more to do with male-bonding than anything else.

but, you know, i never bought him a barbie doll or dressed him in pink. (tho he was always into stuffed animals, even until recently.) so i'm sure i've projected my own issues on the kid along the way.

i think it's best to let the kids take their own course as much as possible. they have a way of letting us know how they're wired pretty early on.

--------------------
"... what i want is what i've not got
and what i need is all around me."

+Quote Post
pepper
post Jul 1 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #664

berenquela, ? what did you even say? nothing that would exclude you from the conversation, surely?
in any case...
darn good point. my little came out with his personality firmly in place. nature vs nuture my ASS! he is a boy through and through. (you read the story 'bout the scooby-doo bandaid right?) this socialization as the overruling feature is a crock imho. socialization stems from our biological directives in the first place. brittany bares all because the reptilian brain in each of us wants to make another human. yes, it's an enormous simplification and there is much, much more to it than that. but what it boils down to in the end is the very essence of what we are as men and women. somethings are universally 'human' in nature and using either sex as a determining factor is a cop-out (venus/mars crap), but there is a LOT to be said for the differences between the sexes.
my boy wanted trucks and cars to play with, a ball, a bike, some rocket ships, straight off. and i was a parent who considered NOT even telling anyone whether he was even a boy or a girl until he was at least three so as not to influence how they treated him (obviously i'm not a biological determinist either). HA! the joke was on me, he came out ALL male. and he's been aware of it since WAY earlier than i ever even thought would be possible.
i've nannied and babysat enough to have seen for myself the natural behavioral differences in little boys and little girls. they are born with it, and while it may be reinforced by society at large, it's there all on it's own to begin with.
evolution has NO reason to erase out basic programming, it doesn't interfer with our survival as a species and so it stays the same. we may have evolved past the need for certain survival mechanisms but there they are, deeply imbedded in the reptilian brain none the less.

+Quote Post
berenguela
post Jul 1 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #665

BUSTie

Because when I have littleb, I'm a single mum, I have had to get used to, and get him used to being at home alone a lot more at a young age than I might have preferred. When he was smaller I'd leave him at home to go around the corner to the store, and now I'll even leave him at home all morning if I have to teach or something.
The first movie I ever went to alone, all alone, I was about 12-13. It was the middle of the day. Yup a man in a raincoat came and sat beside me and yup. Well, I don't really know *what* he was doing because I was paralysed with fear but we can guess. You guys are the first people I have ever told this to! And why wasn't I strong enough to move away/get help/complain to my parents? Well, no harm done.
Bottom line: I think the 9pm show is too late and so is the 7pm show. I think they are old enough to go to the 4:30pm show if the Dad's movie gets out the same time theirs does.
I would think that cutting off internet/TV/books would end up hurting you as much or more as hurting her because is she is bored she'll be more horrible? What about getting her to do messy, active chores? Might it help her work out some of her aggression and keep busy too? I have no idea.

New topic: I saw and agreed with pepper's post in the "general relationship questions thread" where people were discussing whether boys were different from girls (aggresive vs. socially cooperative). I really don't want to go mix it up in there because I've been enough of an unpopular ogre there for one week already but I thought it was a worthwhile question for the mums. In my youth, I totally bought into the whole "we're all socially constructed and infinitely malleable" view. Women could not just be anyone professionally, but also tempermentally. Now I have a son and I've seen his development from birth, I don't agree any more. I think boys really are different from girls. Two of the things that make them this way: those penises (they just love, love, love them.) and that shot of testosterone (when it hits at age 3[?] you can tell sooo fast). Now I don't think biology is destiny, nor am I a biological determinist. I think we all have a huge range of possibilities and outcomes, there is tons of overlap, most generalizations fall apart etc. But we do live in our bodies, we experience the world through our bodies, and our bodies matter. I'm curious to hear what your experiences are.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Jul 1 2006, 10:40 AM
Post #666

oh, hard.
is she at all willing to talk with you about it in a non-defensive icky teenager way? if so could you explain it to her that you have rules as parents that you have to follow but some things are guess work for you and the two of you (mom and pop) have to do your best to make decisions that are difficult because they have to do with her safety and what's the best way to teach her and keep her safe? what about letting her help or negotiate terms with you so that she feels responsible for the lay out of the rules?
argh, good luck freckle. little is still 5, i have a way to go before i face this myself so let me know what you figure out. i'll write it down and save it for later.

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Jul 1 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #667

Hardcore BUSTie

no progress on the report card math grade, bc honestly? I haven't begun to look for any proof that I'm right yet. I so Suck when it comes to doing the "difficult/right thing" which is funny, bc I am a "difficult" person in my own right.
humor ey?

ok, wise mama's : how old do or would you, consider to be Old Enough, for a kid/child/pre-teen, to be in a movie theater alone?
freck's friend asked her to go to the movie w/ her & her (single)dad. even tho it was the later show, the mr & I said ok, bc she'd gone w/ them before and had a good time.
so the mr & I are grocery shopping, freck is home (it was still daylight, we leave her for a few hours now & then but Only in the day & w/ strict orders of no phone, no outside, doors locked etc etc) and she calls my cell and lets it slip that they needed to pick her up early, bc the dad's movie started before theirs, but both movies got out at the same time so it was ok.
um- NO. the mr & I both feel totally the same way about this - 2 12 (but looks older) year old girls, at the 9:00pm movie, on a friday night, left on their own there? just no way.
freck of course, thinks were terribly unfair and trying to smother her to death, but just no way.
opinions?
freck has so been smarting off & back talking that she has lost access to the interet all summer as well as the tv for a month & is next in line for losing her books, which would be a throw yourself on a daggar moment for her w/ the way she lives to read. I'm also threatening to ship her off to live w/ the mr's ancient grandmother, who chain smokes and won't let you out of her site. I just do Not know how to handle her some/most/evey day anymore. :-(

bere, I will totally let you know if we have any plans to come to town, but if so, it wouldn't be til next summer or so I'd imagine.
would be fantastic to actually meet you, any of you, in person.

ok, the in-laws are coming so I must return to my grudge work. polishing floors ever-so-much-brighter ;)
much love & happy 4th !!

--------------------

+Quote Post
berenguela
post Jun 25 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #668

BUSTie

littleb had a HORRIBLE report card! Grr! I know part of it was that his teacher is mad he's leaving the school but I know another big part of it is that although he's bright, he really only wants to learn what *he* wants to learn, not what the teacher thinks is important (eg. spelling). Doing well on a test is no incentive to him, so he just doesn't study. Rotten kid...
His camp is one he's been to for a few years --- I can't really figure out how it is going. I think okay, but I think he's lacking a close friend there.

pepper, my sister and I have often wondered why we just can't get our kids to listen to us and why they defy us in a way we don't think we *ever* did with our mother, and it's not like she was a huge tyrant and we are big pushovers.

freckle, you gotta gotta gotta tell me if you're coming to Chicago, esp. to the Museum of Science and Industry since it is about a ten minute walk from my house --- we could meet for lunch! Ireally think you should come. Clearly your dream was a Sign. You might also think of visiting Millenium Park --- it is right downtown. I've never been to the Peace Museum.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Jun 25 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #669

ggrrr. my kid is great. usually. but he is so easily led by other kids, it's like he has no concept of badness and being naughty on purpose so when other kids are doing it and Know what they are doing is wrong, he just has no idea that it's not ok and goes along with it. nothing major but troubling 'cause he starts school this year and i am thinking about all the shit he can get into without me around to keep and eye out.
he had a friend stay over last night and until lunch time today and they were rotten together. he knows enough to listen to me when i tell him what to do or not, but his friend is one of those push the envelop kind of kids who will just keep going and going to see how far he can take things. of Course my little thought everything was hillarious and kept up with his little friend until they were both in trouble. over and over again. i'm not used to not being listened to, it's frustruating with someone else's kid. and i NANNY too, but mostly kids do what i say. i'm just hard to disobey, very firm and take no shit kinda mama.
oh well, a learning lesson for me and also maybe prep for whatever goes down at school. yikes.

freckle, that would really piss me off. i'd definately look for all her work for the past year and see what's what. can't the school provide a tutor or extra help? i remember getting that when i was in grade school. i hope my child is a brilliant scholar all on his own because i SUCK at math and will just be no help to him at all. i upgraded at the local college last year and the gr 10 math almost killed me. 12 english was a breeze though, i CAN actually pull off a formal piece of writing, i swear. i'm just too tired to even use the shift key for capitals here though. ha.

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Jun 25 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #670

Hardcore BUSTie

the mr & I talked about what to do, and when you look at her year-total grades on her final report card she was passing each 9 weeks, except that I am about 99% positive that those are Not the right scores on there. as I remember, she only actually passed *1* of the grading peroids, and that was w/ a D at that.
I know- I probably sound totally nutso right now, like there was some sort of "conspiracy to pass her." - Hello CRAZI?!
unfortunately, I am not one of those organized parents who keeps all her stuff together & in one place to check, so I'll have to hunt thru the various nooks & crannies & junk drawers of our house to see what all I can find and really, it'd only take One changed grade to make my point to the school, don't you think?

as to a tutoring program, they are all really super expensive, like College Loan Expensive, but I'm going to call a local high school in the fall and see if we can't connect w/ an honors math student instead.
thanks everyone, for reinforcing to me that I am doing the right thing right now.
the mr is sorta of " she passed. let it go." but I can't.
frecklette did however, score a perfect 4 in her Reading EOG- that's my girl!

Danny Rocks!!
I think you are handeling it exactly right in sending an email, w/ Pictures right? of his awards program. it's a big accomplishment to make this transition. you're not out & out shaming anyone, just making them aware of something they might have otherwise missed.
I know that the 8th graders in the class I was proctoring in for the EOG's were all sweating it, bc if they didn't pass them, they didn't move up. I caught 2 boys cheating, which is an auto-no-go, but they screwed themselves.
there Should be a celebration for kids that really accel, so be that Proud Mama Mando, he deserves it! :-)

bere- how is littleb doing in his day camp?
is he liking it & having fun?
I kinda have an idea that when the mr deploys again, frecklette & I might fly into chicago & stay w my cousins in blue island for a few days and do all the museums I loved as a kid. mostly hitting science & industry bc that was soo much fun, and then the zoo's and the aquarium & maybe navy pier, which wasn't near so built up as it is now. I don't know. might just be a pipe dream, but our brief few hours there summer before last just didn't cut it for me. I actually dreamed the other night we did this, and to me, that's strong totem, you know?
have you been to the Peace museum yet? is it new? I just read about it online the other day and would really love to go there and don't remember it as a kid. there is a huge glass sculpture right in front of the eiffel tower in paris that has the word 'peace' engraved on it in like 17+ different languages & is so beautiful..

it's a rainy stormy day here today, things are relatively calm for the moment on the homefront..

hugs to all~

ps: voodoo did you get my email?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mandolyn
post Jun 24 2006, 08:11 AM
Post #671

Hardcore BUSTie

freckle, is there a possibility of getting frecklette into a math class better suited for her next year? one where she might not have to struggle so much? or how about one of those independent "stores" where you pay them for tutoring, for over the summer (sorry, can't think of the name of them). whichever route you take, good for you for making the powers that be accountable. they're teaching a crap lesson about undeserved rewards.

thanks for all the kind words about danny. he got a bunch of awards, even some kind of presidential science award! i'm a bit sad tho, first, that the mr couldn't fight his boss to take the morning off for the ceremony (yet he can take off two entire days to fight a stupid ticket in traffic court, grrrrr!). and that no one is making a big deal about his graduating. we're going to nephew's high school graduation party today, and i plan on making sure everyone knows about danny's accomplishments (without stealing nephew's thunder, of course). but i bet none of the outlaws would even acknowledge his graduating middle school if i don't say anything. i bet even my sister won't send a card. i think i'll do a braggy mom thing and send a mass email or something. even just to embarrass them. moi? spiteful? heh.

but i made a special day for him at least. took him out for lunch, gave him a card and two gifts. and we're taking him out for dinner tomorrow night. but i'm still miffed and sad and hurt at how thoughtless my own family can be.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tyger
post Jun 23 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #672

Hardcore BUSTie

freck, i say go raise hell at the school. i remember on two occasions parents had to fight tooth and nail for kids in my grade to get held back in elementary school. until we got to high school, with seperate classes for different subjects it was nearly impossible to get held back in one, but if she does have seperate classes for different subjects there is NO excuse for passing her. at least next year if you get her re-tested she would (theoretically) qualify for help, as she'd be further behind where she should be, right?

when schools are dipshitty it just makes me angry. how exactly do they think they're helping her by sending her along when she is obviously not up to it? grrrrrr.

go littleb and danny!

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Jun 23 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #673

Hardcore BUSTie

I can't believe danny, OUR Little Danny, is starting High School.
le sigh & sniff
where does the time go??
((((((((mamaMando)))))))))

we got rid of the 2 lizzards.
a kindly neighbor w/super heavy gloves came & scooped them up for me & tossed them out & peace has reigned sinse then.
I'm ok w/ 1 bc they eat spiders & bugs, but 2 is asking for breeding- no thanks!
in Pan the locals always said they were lucky, but I really think they just said that bc they were virtually Impossible to keep out :-)

littleb Rocks!! that's so fantastic!! I betcha his new school is going to be totally fabulous!

todays gripe:
got freck's report card in the mail.
y'all remember how horribly badly she was doing in math, and all the testing we did, which resulted in her scoring just high enough to not qualify for any tutorial or remedial help, but yet she still failed math 3/4ths of the school year right.
the last report card we got for her, she had like a 36, w/ a 69 or 70 being passing, so she wasn't even Remotely in the ballpark for it and even if she had say, Quadrupled her work & makeup work and aced every single quiz & test, she Still probably wouldn't have made it right?
her grade was a 72.
they Gave it to her.
Passed Her. " she is a pleasure to have in class." well I'm sure she is, but she can't do the damn work!
I am stunned, shocked and approaching Furiously ANGRY. it's not like I want my kid to fail, but come on! DEAL WITH HER instead of just promoting her on. at the least, how is this going to help her w/ next years math, when she is years behind even being competent in this years? (for the record,most of her other grades were across the board B's)
I am at such a loss right now..
the mr said when he comes home, we'll average things out and go from there, which means I will be making calls and/or trips to the school over the summer now. unreal.

as to that little girl w/ the crazy pastor dad, frecklette hasn't called her sinse that day, bc she's afraid to get her in more trouble, and the little girl hasn't called her either. it's only been a week or 2, but I hate to think that bc of stupid grownups, the girls would lose a wonderful friendship. I would even apologise to the dad, if I knew what for, but you are all totally right, it needs to be left alone.

I think I need a nap now :-(

--------------------

+Quote Post
berenguela
post Jun 19 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #674

BUSTie

congratulations to danny on finishing middle school! I think it is great that you are letting him have a summer of "freedom" --- it will probably make it so much easier for him to cope with whatever stresses high school throws in his way in the autumn.

littleb starts with the gifted school in September. he's a day camp at his old school now, but his friend from the new school will be joining him there in a few weeks.

+Quote Post
mandolyn
post Jun 19 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #675

Hardcore BUSTie

freckle, i know i'm late to the party, but i agree with what berenguela said. there's nothing you can really do about Nasty Stick-Up-His-Ass Pastor not liking you. i'd wait and see what happens with the girls. if Nasty Pastor is giving his daughter grief, you'll know soon enough.

i'm not a lizard-hatah, but a loose one in the house - much less two! - would freak me the fuck out! *shudder* i'm sure the cat will freak THEM the fuck out and they'll be leaving pronto, if they haven't already.

pepper, LOVED the bandaid story, lol!

before i became a parent, i always thought kid-harnesses seemed cruel on principal alone. now i can very much understand how they are Good & Necessary Things. but i can also see a 5 yr old getting off on The Great Escape challenge aspect, tho.

and go littleb in the gifted program! good news indeed! is that happening over the summer, or in september?

nothing very new to report. danny is graduating middle school on thurs. i'm sure i'll be an emotional wreck at some point soon. or maybe not til september, when we step foot into Big Scary High School. i'm torn between revelling in a little more freedom for myself, and being nervous about his impending higher level of independence. the whole growing up thing is a two-edged sword.

it will be an interesting summer for us. his first true summer vacation since he was five. he's been in day camp every year, but this year, i couldn't convince him to be a counselor-in-training. so i'm letting him stay home by himself. his best friend lives across the street, so they'll be hanging. but other than that, and a few parade gigs he's got with the band-for-hire he's joined, the kid gets to relax for a change. i don't even care if he sits around all day playing videos in the a/c. come mid-august, he'll be sweating his fanny off in the grueling two weeks of band camp and then from sept-nov, the band and school will kick his ass but good. (the high school band is a competitive, nationally-known band, and they compete all over god's country every single weekend, in addition to playing for the school football games.)

but thank god i only work 10 minutes away. if i worked in the city, i'd be freaking out but good leaving him home alone, teenager or no. i also thankfully have the flexibility of taking off a weekday here and there and taking him to the beach.

--------------------

+Quote Post
berenguela
post Jun 16 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #676

BUSTie

I don't know anything about them about salamanders or newts, but I would *love* to see them. They're very ancient, almost magical I feel, and I think it is terribly good luck to have them in your home. I realize what I am saying isn't terribly useful!

I do know salamanders are nocturnal, which is wy it is hard to see them.

(and yeah, I read your letter in Letters. I really felt for you because though I love living in Chicago, it isn't Home for me and will never be. It meant a lot for me to read what someone for whom it is Home feels about it)

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Jun 16 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #677

Hardcore BUSTie

does anyone know anything about salamanders or newts here?
bc we've got 2 now that are in our home and I'm getting a little wiggy. no, they weren't pets that got loose, we have a dog & cat. we live in the humid carolinas and even tho most people aren't aware of them being here, they are indiginous to this area naturally.

we don't want to kill them, bc we've always had a soft spot for geckos after living in panama where they were Always in our house, but this is different! the one that came in today was much bigger than the first one & I can only imagine if my cat see's it, what utter chaos will reign til she catches it.

and no, I'm not sure "catching" them would work either, bc they are fast as lightening.

I called the mr at work to tell him we have another one but he thinks I've lost my marbles to be upset.

anyone?

--------------------

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Jun 16 2006, 03:36 AM
Post #678

Hardcore BUSTie

damona,
yes to wanting school back in already!
I am so used to having the whole house totally to myself once I drop her off, and this "sharing" thing is taking some getting used to.
but then, she's the same way, prefers being solitary too, so we find ourselves rotating, one of us up, one downstairs.
we did have a rather nice time dad's day shopping together yesterday, which was a unexpected suprise bc normally she's a holy terror shopping period.

as far as harnesses, I'm in favor of them. although what bere pointed out, at 5 little z will probably be able to figure out how to escape.
you are thinking of using it in the place context of..?

when freck was 6 & she & I + the 2 cats in carriers had to fly to germany (3 busy airports & no spare hand for me to hold hers w/) I bought a bright pink whistle on one of those spiraly wrist bracelets for her, w/ the instructions of if we got seperated ( or anyone bothered her etc) to stop- stand totally still and blow the heck out of it. she wasn't allowed to use or carry it other than when we traveled bc it was serious. was a good system. used it a few times as we traveled around europe while over there too, and still have it tho she's getting a little old. might be an idea?

bere, you read my letter in Letters?
siiiigh. wish I could.
thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
berenguela
post Jun 15 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #679

BUSTie

litleb was a bandaid lover. I eventually just decided to let him wallow in them.

I actually would think a kid harness would be better on someone littler than on someone bigger. I think at 5 you could undo it, for instance.

freckle, if you drop by here, maybe this summer is the time to leave frecklette with the Mr. for a couple of days and come up to Chicago on your own.

+Quote Post
damona
post Jun 15 2006, 02:39 PM
Post #680

can i go to bed now?

pepper, that is too funny! my 3 yr old hates bandaids. no matter how big the owie is he won't leave a bandaid on for more than a few minutes. which is kinda bad since i've had to take him twice lately for blood draws (those people are vampires!) and he has to go one more time tomorrow. he rips the bandaids off as soon as we get in the car. poor baby!

sooo... anyone else ready for school to start again?? i was ready by monday morning! having all 4 of them screaming at eachother all day is rapidly wearing on my nerves. i wish i could take the whole crew to the park and let them run themselves tired, but i can't really do it by myself. with little z and little d's issues, they are too hard to control in a situation like that if i can't give them undivided attention.

sidenote: what do y'all think about those "kid harnesses"? good? bad? indifferent? i got one and i'm not sure about it... how old is too old for one of those things? do you think it would be ok to use on little z (he's 5)? and i think that little w is prolly too little for it... eh. anyway, just curious to see what your opinions are.

--------------------
"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 36 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 23, 2014 - 05:54 PM