Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

36 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Busty Mom's of not so wee ones
damona
post Aug 26 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #81

can i go to bed now?

kelly, there's a mom's thread in LTAS that's aimed more at mom's with babies and toddlers.

yep, my kiddo is king of the garden. i about died laughing when i heard him say that. he comes out with some of the funniest comments from mis-hearing things...

my former neighbor is going to be tutoring my 7yo in reading/writing this year. for free! hooray! after the whole year of K he still can barely read a dozen words, and i was actually thinking about pulling him out and homeschooling him for 1st grade b/c i don't agree with the way they teach reading here now. lo and behold, my old neighbor dropped by and she has just gotten her special-ed reading tutor certification! so i am sending him to the public school and he will be getting tutoring 2x a week from her.

my crew is finally in bed... oy.

--------------------
"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thatgirlkelly
post Aug 26 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #82

Hardcore BUSTie

Hello Ladies. I was looking around for a thread for new parents, but all i could find was this one and the Midwest Mom thread. Am I missing anything? Currently spending most of my time in the Pregnancy forum, but that should all change in October!
Thanks and 'king of the garden' is WAY better than kindergarten. I imagine him wearing a crown and wellies!

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Aug 26 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #83

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(pepper @ Aug 26 2008, 12:54 AM) *
"king of the garden" bwah ha ha! ooh, that's so terrific!

ah, to be 5 again! damona, hope your little guy has a good "first day of school" experience. it's nice that the school will accomodate him with .5 day to adjust.

i kept waiting to get a supplies list from the school, since i've heard so much about it from other parents. but 1 week to go, and nothing list of required items have been requested! i think we benefit from our school being a "learning hub" which essentially means we live in a "high-risk" neighbourhood, due to a lot of low-income, single-parent households etc...so there is some extra funding and supports in place.

in any case, we bought the kiddo's first backpack yesterday, she's so excited! i was excited because she picked one with pink and leopard print design, instead of "disney princess" or some other lame liscenced character. oh, the branding of our children!

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 25 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #84

"king of the garden" bwah ha ha! ooh, that's so terrific!

ah, the first year of school. they don't need Anything! in fact, it wasn't until mid-way through first grade that i realized other kids were bringing their own pencil kits and such and sent my little off with one of his own. the teacher told me not to send anything that year so i didn't silly me! this year he will have it all, pens and pencils and crayons and markers and coloured pencils and rulers and erasers and hole punches and tape and glue and paper of all colours and whatever else i can stuff into his cubby hole in his desk. seriously, it's grade TWO, now we get all fer reals around here!

i am such a terrible planner though, i had to Ask a friend when the first day of school is this year. ha ha, i totally and completely forget what she said already! hee, the school will probably call me to ask where he is, ppfftt! i love having him home.

+Quote Post
damona
post Aug 25 2008, 07:05 PM
Post #85

can i go to bed now?

i've got 3 kids starting school this year... the school supply lists are ridiculous! there is no way i can get all the "extra" stuff that the teachers want for the class right at the start, i am just gonna have to send them with the basics and pick up things throughout the first few weeks.

it just trips me out that i have a child starting 4th grade. he's almost 10!!!!!!! i swear, i haven't had him that long.... it's weird, i tell ya...

i'm so proud of my 5yo son tho, he is starting kindergarten (or, as he says, he is "king of the garden now") right on time. we thought sure he would be held back an extra year due to his autism, especially since his older brother was, but they are just moving him right along, albeit on a slightly adjusted schedule. he's going to go for mornings only for the first quarter so he can adjust to the whole thing better... we hope! if he does well right off, then he will go full day sooner, but that's where we are right now.

it's gonna be so strange (but nice!) to only have 1 kid at home for the majority of the day.

best of luck to all the bustiekids out there starting school!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Aug 22 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #86

Hardcore BUSTie

hello back! lost is right...my kiddo is starting kindergarten, and the school hasn't let us know if she needs anything. but we've started talking about school a little more, trying to get her excited about it. weee, i'll get away with that while she's young and i can!

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 22 2008, 08:24 AM
Post #87

hello toronto mama! i am a former of the same, currently in little wee itty bitty southern ont.
yes, getting ready for school. ish. this consists of wrapping up little's first play and going camping in the grand's giant motor home with weekend. i don't know what else i'm supposed to do, he has tons of clothes and shoes already. do we review math and spelling or something? i'm kinda lost...

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Aug 21 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #88

Hardcore BUSTie

*peek*
unsure.gif
anybody in here?
i just finished reading some back pages of this thread, but it looks like it's been a quiet summer...everyone getting ready for the new school year?

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Jul 30 2008, 02:40 PM
Post #89

beachcomber

hey mama's!

I know I've been mia, and I'm sorry but I'm not much up on the little one set that might be of current value or use today.

but-- frecklette both began babysitting on her own last weekend AND got her first High School schedule in the mail today.

High School!

the mr is having an incredibly hard time with this time right now..having given her the same 'friends will be here for now but your EDUCATION will last a Lifetime..' speach at least 3 seperate times on the phone and in emails.. frecklette is like ' yah Dad- blah blah blah' and it's really kinda funny.

not going all crazi school shopping yet, bc we don't know exactly what she'll need for her classes, but will be gearing up to tackle her arm disability & her new PE teacher, bc every darn year we have a fight on our hands about it.

my baby girl, going to the Big School, getting much too close to flying the nest. sad.gif

going to hug my girl supertight ~

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
snarky7
post Jul 11 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #90

Hardcore BUSTie

how are all the busty moms? hoping all's well!

so, quick update - bowel issues with snarkyboy are improving ever-so-slightly. the worry i have is the comment he made the other day - not wanting to go back to his dad's house. i hate that. there's been some project my ex is working on in a town about 85 miles away, and it seems every time he has snarkyboy, they are off to work on this project. i don't know enough, but snarkyboy says they are building and painting and what-not. my god, snarkyboy is SIX - don't use him as your slave labor. i digress....unsure if that's the real issue or if it is something else - just makes me worry. i guess i am mom for a reason, right?

((((((BUSTIES))))))

+Quote Post
damona
post Jun 24 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #91

can i go to bed now?

awww, thanks snarky. how's it going with you?

polly, thanks for those links. i haven't really got a chance to get online much lately, but i bookmarked them!

--------------------

+Quote Post
snarky7
post Jun 22 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #92

Hardcore BUSTie

(((((damona))))) you are always wonderful with your advice, damona! you know what you are doing methinks at least! smile.gif keep your chin up, and keep repeating your mantra smile.gif

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 19 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #93

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

QUOTE(damona @ Jun 19 2008, 07:54 PM) *

also, there are 2 groups for parents of autistic kids, but they are very... cliquey? i know that sounds kind of silly, but i was very much on the outside. the only other one i know of is in milwaukee and i don't drive in the city alone.

I can believe that- we have several autistic kids who are patients and some of the mom's are really into it....almost to a point that they're doing more harm than good to their kids, I would think. Not sure how else to explain it, but it seems like some of them are in complete denial about it (which drives us crazy because you get no support from the parents on controlling their kid) and some, it's like a hobby, which is also annoying to us, because then you get the parent who's obsessed with everything we do. We seriously think that we get all these kids coming to us because one mom of an autistic kid told another mom of an autistic kid how we handle kids better than a pediatric dentist does, so now they flock to us. Most of them we can handle, but there are some that we just send right back to a pediatric dentist. They can put kids under for their appointments, a line my boss refuses to cross.

What about an online support group? I'm sure you've looked into it before, but this site has a message board. Here's one with links to other online places. Looking at that MSN one, looks like there's lots of topics covered.

Good luck.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
damona
post Jun 19 2008, 06:37 PM
Post #94

can i go to bed now?

they're eating, and little d is in the bath, i have a second or two...

freck, there is a church that has a few 3 or 4 day "camps" but they are for the older ones, not little d and w. at least it's something tho, right? and if the mr is home.... i can go with the older kids and do something fun while he can try to figure out how to keep the others from destroying the house!

little d got hold of another sharpie. i don't know how, i can't ever find one when i need one... anyway. he scribbled all over my favourite chair and the ottoman, while i was up to the elbows in bread dough. i about lost it.

polly, i asked our apartment manager if it would be possible to cover the walls with sheets of plexiglass. after i assured her i was dead serious, she said that i have to talk to her manager (who's a rhymes-with-itch) and if i get a dr's note i might be able to do that. i sure as hell hope so. i'm exhausted from doing endless repairs!

also, there are 2 groups for parents of autistic kids, but they are very... cliquey? i know that sounds kind of silly, but i was very much on the outside. the only other one i know of is in milwaukee and i don't drive in the city alone.

oh thank the gods, he's home!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 19 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #95

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

damona, have you looked into a support group for parents of kids with autism/add, etc.? I would think that the obsessive/destructive behaviors are pretty common- maybe someone out there has some good ideas on how to repair the walls and/or prevent it from happening?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Jun 19 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #96

beachcomber

damona-
I know it's only been a few days, but have you had a moment free (ha I know) to look into any of the church camps or y-type programs for the kids yet?

I just read your confessions post & I totally understand you looking forward to your mr being home to help w/ them- I hope you get the opportunity to do some kid-free stuff for yourself at that time too- you deserve it!!

(((damona)))))

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
damona
post Jun 19 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #97

can i go to bed now?

i love my children *breathe* i love my children *breathe* i love my children *breathe*

sorry, had to remind myself of that. it's been a really long couple days. (see my post from yesterday in kvetch up for details). today they are just being general monsters. my 5 yr old, little d, was dipping toys in his rice milk, then sucking the milk off the toy. he's also eating his rice one.grain.at.a.time. little w enlarged the hole in the wall, which i am out of things to patch it with, since this makes for patch job #5 in the same place. little z is just arguing with everyone, and when he's not doing that, he's mimicing what the others say to the point where they are screaming at him to stop. dai is being the least obnoxious of the bunch, so far. and i am having a horrible period plus a migraine hangover. oh my goddess... when does school start again?????

--------------------

+Quote Post
snarky7
post Jun 16 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #98

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks again damona. i need to make some calls. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
damona
post Jun 16 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #99

can i go to bed now?

snarky, ask your ped if they have any recommendations for who to see. or call the nearest childrens hospital. if you are dealing with insurance, maybe start by calling the company and asking for their "approved" list of therapists in your area. fair warning, it may be quite a distance. for awhile there, i was driving 60 mile round trips every day for my kids' therapies.

a good therapist will really connect with your kid. she (most therapists are female, so i'm just saying she) will do stuff like use a therapy swing or a trampoline, climbing walls, scooter boards, or maybe just take him on a playground and get him to do some extra running around. having not seen a therapist for my kids specifically for the reasons you are looking for, i'm really not sure, but these are some of the basic things that they will probably start with. before my kids turned 3 we had therapists who would come to the house and work with them there and they did things like kicking a ball in the yard and walking on the sidewalk (we were on a hill) and practicing going up and down stairs. she would play games with the kids that involved a lot of bending and lifting and squatting and jumping. she even brought a low balance beam so they could practice walking and balancing on it. my kids always had a lot of fun with their therapists, it was something they looked forward to doing, rather than dreaded going to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
snarky7
post Jun 15 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #100

Hardcore BUSTie

thx damona! So, i guess my question would be - how does the PT go about doing their thing? i worry this may cause snarkyboy more stress than he currently has. I don't know of anyone around here to even go and ask about that. snarkyboy's pediatrician did suggest it however...

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 28, 2014 - 05:33 AM