The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

> A day to remember......the wedding thread.
pow
post May 14 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #1

BUSTie

Gumby, the price adds up because of the bachelorette party (especially a destination party), lodging/travel expenses, and the dress+shoes. When i was a bridesmaid the party ran $800, hotel $400, and dress+shoes $200. Heh, it nearly cost more than my own wedding! Just ask what your friend has in mind for lodging and keep the b-party simple. Then it can be done within a budget :-)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gumby_cc
post May 13 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey ladies....I've been sneaking around here for the past year or so :-)
but I finally have a question for you! I was asked to be a bridesmaid for my best friend, and it's probably the only time I'm ever going to be asked at all. I'm so happy for her and I really want to do it. But I've talked to a few people with experience who say that it's easy to drop $1k as a bridesmaid...and I don't have that kind of money. I've been trying to start a 401k for myself for two years and never even have had the money for that. The wedding isn't until next June, and at this point I don't even know the names of the other bridesmaids/maid of honor. So I want to do it, but I don't know if I can afford it. But I already said yes. I guess I'm just angsty about it. Does that sound right---that it could cost up to $1000 to be a bridesmaid?

I can't wait to see Pixie's pics!

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post May 7 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Tink's Red headed Step Sis

pink, we found teh invitations we liked on the internet too...and then we went to the tux place and they gave us 25% off of them. If you find one you like make sure to write down the name of the manufacturer and the style number. I also noticed the other day that Party America(formerly paper warehouse) does 25% off invitations too.

Can I just say, I am glad all the stress panning this is over and now I am happily married AND I CAN NOT WAIT FOR OUR HONEYMOON!

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
pinkmartyr
post May 7 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

congrats to pixie!

i was just playing around the internet looking at invitations. we like the pocketfold style. i just requested a quote from cards and pockets that includes printing. anyone else looking through invitations? i want to have them professionally cut and printed, but assemble myself.

+Quote Post
livelyupurself
post Apr 28 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

(((((pixie)))) congrats and best wishes!

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Apr 28 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #6

Pacifism kicks ass!

Hooray! Thanks for checking in, Pixie! Be sure to give our best to the groom!

[flings rose petals around Pixiedust as she gets her relaxing massage]

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Apr 28 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #7

"I'm getting married in the morning, ding , dong the bells are gonna chime!" I am on my way to my facial and massage, just had to drop in and say I am having a lovely day before the wedding.

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
pixiedust
Post #8

"I'm getting married in the morning, ding , dong the bells are gonna chime!" I am on my way to my facial and massage, just had to drop in and say I am having a lovely day before the wedding.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pixiedust
Post #9

--------------------

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Apr 27 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #10

Thanks guys! I think it will be better than I have even dreamed of. And of course the most important thing is that Mr. Pixie is truely the other half of me. And I love him more than I thought it was possible to love someone. He replaced two very important men in my life without any trouble and made me realize how much I have been missing all these years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
raskel
post Apr 27 2006, 02:01 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Good luck pixie!

+Quote Post
crassy_mcnasty
post Apr 27 2006, 01:11 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

just wanted to stop in to wish all the best to pixie on her upcoming nuptials. may the day be as wonderful as you deserve!

--------------------
I drank my forty before I left the house, cause i'm a lady!

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Apr 25 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #13

Eloping sounds really good right about now. My MOH is getting off easy. I paid for the dress to be made, I don't care what shoes she wears and my bridal shower got cancelled because of a family emergency!

Right now I want: 1. my cold to go away 2. my face to completely clear up 3. All of the family crisis to be over 4. all of our siblings to stop fighting

I don't think i have really been a bridezilla, however I did chew on the girl at the jewlry store a bit tonight. Her first mistake was saying my ring MIGHT be done by Friday. Second was saying the soldering MIGHT be free if I could find my warrenty papers. At which time I clued her into the fact that it is indeed included in the cost of the ring and that my warrantee is on file in the store and everyone else that works there knows us by name. What really sent me over the edge was teh way she kept snapping her gum and looking at me with this stupid clueless look. I just wanted to tell her she was obviously in the wrong job and that the food court was across the way. Can you imagine buying a diamond from someone who is chewing gum and probably getting spit all over the place because she is loudly snapping it? Mr.P got onto me for being a bitch in the car. but really 4 days before my wedding is not the time to fuck with me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Apr 25 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #14

PANTIES! ew.

Laurenann, back out now while you can! Kidding, sort of. I'm a MOH for a wedding this summer. I'm happy for the couple and honored that I was asked to be MOH, but honestly I will be so glad when it's all over. It costs a lot of money, the shower is a pain in the ass to plan, no one ever wears their bridesmaid dresses again, the bride will most likely develop Bridezilla tendencies (I've seen it happen with the most laid-back people), and you get to witness all of the stupid nit-picky things that go on behind the scenes when people lose focus of WHAT A WEDDING IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT.

But I love them and I'm looking forward to the day itself. :-)

I came in here to bitch about stupid dyeable shoes and the poor design, poor quality, and so on. Just overall crappy shoes I'd never buy in any other style or fabric. It's like their whole purpose is to just hold the dye, not support your feet or look cute when you walk or stand. Bah! I hate shitty shoes, and that's all I've seen while looking for dyeable ones.

I'm so convinced I'm going to elope if/when the time comes.

That is all.

+Quote Post
wilhelminawonka
post Apr 25 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #15

BUSTie

We had a hard time with finding a minister for us, because I wanted to get married at my family's church (I am a christian). Well, my aunt is the minister there, and I didn't want her to do it, so we asked a friend of the family. My husband went to meet him, and the minister said that he wouldn't marry us because my husband is not a Christian (!!!) I was so upset!
So, then my dad had one of his minister friends say he would do it. So we met with him, and we told him that my husband is not a christian, and we don't agree with what the bible says about women and their place in the family and everything. So he said that's fine, and we told him that we want to write the service ourselves. He said fine. So we did. It was so beautiful. We had readings from the Bible, from an Inuit wedding, from Traditional Native Teachings (I'm native, and we got married on the reserve) as well as things from the I-Ching. It was so nice.
Well, then the minister decided to throw in a bit of his own wisdom. It caught us totally by surprise. He decided to throw in a bit about men needing respect, and women only needing love I started squeezing my husband's hand so hard. And I was giving the minister dirty looks while he was saying it. So many people at the wedding have mentioned it to us since then. They're all like, "WTF" even the Christians. They say, "Where did he get that from?"
And we say, "We didn't write that part"
Everything else about the wedding was perfect. We even had a fainter!
Planning was pretty stressful, but it all came together beautifully and we had so much fun!
Oh, and we didn' have the "giving away" part, my dad walked with me down the aisle, but the minister said, "Who supports this couple in their marriage" and then everyone in our families said, "We do". It was really funny. It reminded me of the Stone Cutter Simpsons episode, "Who keeps the aliens underwraps. Weee dooo, Weee dooo"

+Quote Post
laurenann
post Apr 25 2006, 08:53 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

my best friend asked me to be a bridesmaid last night! i'm psyched. she is very cool and swears her wedding will be laid back, though of course i know it'll be hard for her to not be a little bit of a control freak. i've never been a bridesmaid before - any advice?

+Quote Post
tommynomad
post Apr 24 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm glad your pile of shit has smoothed out, pixied.

pinkmartyr, she sounds like an ideal candidate to make your dress for you. Shenomad sewed her gown and has reaped the rewards: the dress she wants, an immense feeling of satisfaction, ownership, etc. She had never sewn a stitch before, either: just signed up for a class and did it. Count me impressed!

--------------------
"If I help women to have babies when they can give them love and affection, [those babies] will not grow up to be rapists or murderers.
They will not build concentration camps."
--Dr. Henry Morgentaler

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Apr 24 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #18

Things are looking better today. Now I have just a few minor things to pick up. I have to remember to take my ring in tomoorow to be soldered. I will be naked without it! My inlaws are back in town and I think all is right with the wedding plans....for now. My mom and I sat down last night and I read over a service she performed for another couple. It was really great! I was very surprised that my mom wrote this service that wasn't pushing religion down your throat, and wasn't necessarily traditional either. I think it will be perfect for us! It actually enphasized everything that went wrong in my first marriage. Why didn't my mommy warn me the first time around?...oh yeah, she did and I didn't listen!

--------------------

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Apr 23 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #19

Way back when I first started coming into this thread someone was having all kinds of problems with a dress they had made. My mom had to rework mine a bit and that was stressful enough. If you do decide to go that route, I would do it early! That means no rush job and time to do something else if it becomes necessary. Just make sure she leaves enough for alterations either way.

We are in the midst of Hell righ tnow. Murphy's law has dumped a big old steaming pile of shit on our door step. I can't belive I only have 5 days to pull this all back together. Grr!

--------------------

+Quote Post
pinkmartyr
post Apr 23 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

is anyone having their dress made? i have been looking for dresses, and am not impressed with what i see on the racks and online. well, the styles are really pretty, just not what i want. one of the custodians at my work is a seamstress on the side. she teaches sewing to children, and has made two bridal gowns in addition to other clothing for folks. for christmas, she made me a neat handmade scarf. i was talking with her about gown shopping, and mentioned maybe wanting a custom dress, and she has offered her services. i know that she will not overcharge. we chat a lot at work, and i know we are on the same wavelength about a lot of things (like style and make up) so she would do a nice job. its just that i'd hate for something to go wrong in the dressmaking and for it to put stress on our work friendship. what do you guys think? i have a lot of time to decide, so its no rush to decide something right now.

+Quote Post
26 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic

26 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 1, 2014 - 08:42 AM