The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

26 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A day to remember......the wedding thread.
sassygrrl
post Jan 19 2010, 09:16 AM
Post #41

sassygrrl

Well, the weird turned pro. Mcgeek's dad had a stroke, and now we're going to have a reception up there as well after the wedding. I think we're going to hire one of my friends to maybe live-stream the wedding ceremony or something. I still have very weird thoughts about this family, and don't look forward to meeting them again especially after I know all this shit about them.

In awesome news, I lost another 5 pounds! 9 more and I'll be near my goal weight!

Still have a ton of bits and bobs on my to-do lists as we have 58 more days to go now....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jan 15 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #42

sassygrrl

HOLY SHIT.

I know people always talk about their crazy in-laws, but this is nuts. There's more crazy family drama about stolen money against other members of the family, etc. There's even talk of my sister-in-law (sort of) being a ho. Mcgeek may take the brother to court over this (the money he never paid us). The other brother told Mcgeek that somehow Matt had the money to buy a $2500 tv, Wii, etc for Christmas.

I'm really hesitant to enter in to this family. I'm so happy they live far away. I'm amazed Mcgeek turned out so well.
If we were up there, we'd be dragged into that mess.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jan 13 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #43

sassygrrl

Ick scalloped edging?

Well the flowers are those button bouquets. They may post on FB. I have trouble posting links on Bust for some reason. The invites are purple polka-doted, and she's putting a little Pi sticker to close them.

No big deal. We may not go anyways. It also depends on money for us as well.

Yep. I also found out more drama about his brother and the money he owes us. Mcgeek wants to take him to court over it. Crazy situation all over. Then there's my insane family. It should be an interesting mix.

To-do lists are great. They've helped me a lot. One of my bridesmaids has also stepped up and kindof become my maid of honor and started planning parties and helped me not freak out constantly.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jan 13 2010, 01:58 PM
Post #44

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Sorry, I missed your post from a few days ago.

Your invite and flower links aren't working :-(

Sorry the honeymoon place is booked. I'm not even planning a honeymoon. We'll have to see how much money we get in gifts. LeSister-in-Law told me that they didn't have money for a honeymoon after the wedding, either, but it was okay because LeMom & Dad paid for them to go away for a few days for their first anniversary, anyway. So we'll see.

Wow, both of his parents and yours? That's going a lot of dysfunction in one place, sassy.

No, the invite issue is still ongoing. LeBoy and I are decided on what we're going to do, but we're still humoring LeMom with the idea that will go with something she's come up with. This past weekend she showed me what it would look like printed on a card with scalloped edges blink.gif

Yesterday, I made a to-do list of everything that needs to get done in the next few months and a date of when I'd like to have it done. Making a decision on the invitations, as if we don't know what we're going to do, is something I want to have completed by the end of the month.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jan 13 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #45

sassygrrl

Ugh. The honeymoon is booked. sad.gif I'll have to find another place.

Here's some pictures:

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=2...47soczs1&zw (invite)
flowers:
http://www.etsy.com/get_convo_image.php?co...image_type=full

My dress is sort of like this:
http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/feat...3/#slide_183884
Mixed with a tea-length skirt.

Squee!

I'm a little sad though. Not sure why.

+Quote Post
quantumspice
post Jan 10 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #46

Hardcore BUSTie

Nice looking honeymoon, sassy! We're not really doing a honeymoon - we may spend a few extra days in New Orleans, but that's less a honeymoon and more recovery from the drive. (We're driving from my summer home in Tuscon, where I intern, back to the midwest, where I'm going for grad school and he'll be spending quality time doing the housework and gaming while we wait for his employment authorization to come.) That said: we are planning to go on vacation in March (during spring break), to go to a cabin in the Smokey Mountains.

We have to change the date, the Rio embassy says that with a early-to-mid February petition approval, he won't be able to get scheduled for an interview until late April, which doesn't give him enough post-visa time with his family (in his opinion) and is close enough that our photographer can't guarantee availability with as wedding-happy as May/June are. It's ok because 1) August is a better time (financially) for us to get married, as I will have spent my entire summer working full time, 2) and because it's not a high-demand time of year for marriage in NOLA, the photographer/officiant will have more notice, and 3) he can spend one last father's day with his father (whom he's really close to). Since it's going to be delayed, we've decided to ask for a May interview on what would have been our wedding date & I'll fly down and we'll spend the week in Rio.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jan 6 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #47

sassygrrl

((Polly)) Did that get straightened out?

Turns out both parents want to come. Now we just have to pay for separate hotel rooms and fly them down.

I don't know if any remembers but when Mcgeek and I went up to his brother's wedding we had to pay his dad a deposit for the brother's wedding. He called a few days ago to tell Mcgeek he's not paying us at all. We found out thru Mcgeek's dad that it was for the brother all along. The money was not coming in very often, but it just amazes me that Mcgeek came from such a family of liars.

I've gotten so much accomplished over the last two weeks. We have figured out our honeymoon, designed the invitations, set up appointments with the venue and a dress designer, etc etc. I was going to go thru Etsy for a designer but she never got back to me. I found a local seamstress.

Here's the honeymoon place if I hadn't posted it yet: http://maho.org/
We're heading to the Concordia side. My dad saw this in NYT, and we found out just surfing the web.
I can't wait!

My mother is being very wacky. She's calling a lot acting "nice." I feel like she doesn't have anything to do. I'm trying to figure out a little task for her to do that isn't too demanding. I think her and dad feel left out in the planning process. He keeps grumbling about money lately.

I did kick out the bridesmaids for being not there for me. She told me in an email that she didn't really like me anyways. I really asked her b/c Mcgeek proposed to me at her house. She's become really mean lately and I don't want that drama.

I'll try to finally post my engagement ring and the proof of the invites later on this week.
Now just trying to find an officiant and a ton of other stuff.
On the downside I feel I'm gaining some weight. Not good! sad.gif

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 20 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #48

Well, at least you sort of have an answer now, sassy. Will his dad still come if his mom is there?

Sorry about the bridesmaid. I had to let one go too and it's not fun, but can be a relief afterwards.

I talked to LeMom for the first time since the invitation drama today. We stopped by their house after meeting for a late lunch with some friends who were in from out of town. It was like a non-issue. She mentioned that LeSister picked up the envelopes, and when she dropped them off, found out that our calligrapher's 10-year-old son died the day after Thanksgiving and didn't mention it to anyone at work. LeSister thinks it was something like leukemia, but didn't get many details, because she had to get it through the grapevine at work to get that little bit of info. Very sad, and I feel kinda bad for being sort of chipper in the note I included with the envelopes, but I didn't know- no one knew. LeMom also made sure that even the people who we didn't expect to come would still be getting an RSVP postcard (well, yeah- otherwise it would just be a wedding announcement, right?)

So, I'm just going to wait to see if she mentions it after her Christmas break, if she tried out her cardstock theory, and if I don't hear anything, I'll proceed with my plan. The benefit of the photo thing is that I can print however many I want whenever I want, so I can wait until a week before we're going to send them out to even order them. I already have the RSVP postcards.

Although, when she asked about the RSVP's to the people we don't think are coming, she also said, "and you're going to change the start time to 6:00 instead of 5:00 on the invitation, right?" so that sort of implies that the fate of the invitations is in my hands. biggrin.gif

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Dec 20 2009, 10:18 AM
Post #49

sassygrrl

More inlaw drama!
Mcgeek found out that his parents are truly getting divorced. His brother with the sick child is not coming to the wedding. I have no idea about the other brother. His mother can't afford it, so we're going to have to pay for her via train (I guess she doesn't fly) to come down here. I just hope there's no tension. Seems like a MILDEW situation.

One of my bridesmaids Carol has turned into a total bitch. We're both in this meetup, and she started getting very power hungry. It's a science meetup, and she's a teacher. Now she's wanting to control the whole thing, and wants this science based lectures even though the main organizer wanted it to be more social like having a beer and talking about science. Every time I raised a comment I was shot down. This is a freaking meetup not a job.

I asked if she was mad at me, and she said no. Yet, she's acting like more of a fair weather friend than someone who really wants to be there for my wedding. I think I asked her to be a bridesmaids in honesty because Mcgeek proposed at her house. Obviously in the heat and shock of the moment of being newly engaged.
We're in the same social circle so I'm trying to not let it piss me off. I just want people in my wedding party who really care for me. In the email she kept saying she was constantly busy and had her own life, and she doesn't know me that well. It seems every time I would ask her to hang out she declined. I don't know if this is because I don't know much about science. It just seems very snotty. She's always going on and on about her degrees. I really don't care about her degrees. We play in the same trivia group too.

So it's down to my best friend, and my two friends Laverne and Claudette. The next couple months are going to be maniac so I'll need their love and support.

I guess this is one of the hiccups of weddings.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 16 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #50

Grrr...lack of editing button...

LeBoy says he doesn't want to have the conversation over the phone, that he wants to do it in person. Now he's gotta find an excuse to go up to his parents house and I have to continue to avoid his mom's emails. I told him I want it rectified before Christmas.

It worries me that I haven't heard from his sister, confirming that she got the envelopes. I hope his mom didn't take matters into her own hands and not give it to his sister, because then the calligrapher wouldn't get them until after New Years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 16 2009, 04:49 PM
Post #51

Eek, that does sound like a hairy situation. How do you split up and just not tell your own kids where you're going?

We saw my family for Hanukkah last night, so I'm going to make him call her tonight. I emailed his brother's wife about the situation because I knew she'd sympathize with me and she said, "oh the memories!" She had a hell of a time planning their wedding with his parents- at least I was mostly prepared, both emotionally and I had a lot of the stuff I wanted to do already picked out because I knew that if I didn't have a lot of it decided, she'd just try to take over.

This too shall pass. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Dec 16 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #52

sassygrrl

QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Dec 16 2009, 03:05 PM) *
I guess all you can do is assume they're coming and if they show, they show- McGeek can't get to them either?

The dress deal sounds wonderful! Post pictures or sketches when you can!

I think that unless it's chilly, pouring or your ceremony is really long (more than 15 minutes or so) people should be okay with standing with an umbrella. Is getting a couple of these (or something similar) an option?

Well considering Mcgeek's parents split he doesn't even know where they live. Most of the family moved out his father's house. I guess his dad knows, but I hate to get in the middle of things. It's a sticky situation all around.

I will. She's either coming to Mom and Dad's over the holidays, or we're stopping by Savannah on the way home. I'm really happy about it!

I have no idea about the ceremony. On March 1st of last year there was a weird snow-storm. So you never know....

How are things with the mother-in-law from hell?

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 16 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #53

I guess all you can do is assume they're coming and if they show, they show- McGeek can't get to them either?

The dress deal sounds wonderful! Post pictures or sketches when you can!

I think that unless it's chilly, pouring or your ceremony is really long (more than 15 minutes or so) people should be okay with standing with an umbrella. Is getting a couple of these (or something similar) an option?

--------------------

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Dec 16 2009, 08:38 AM
Post #54

sassygrrl

Polly, sorry for your shitty MIL. I hope Le Boy smoothed things over.

I can't even reach my inlaws as they are now separated. This is tough considering I'm not even sure they're show up to the wedding. My mother is driving me crazy about the details of the wedding, and it being 3 months away.

I did find a seamstress on etsy that will be able to make me a dress in the style of Melissa Sweet and Stephanie James for only about $400. She's going to be able to take my measurements over the holidays, and make my dress in about a month. Here's her site: http://www.etsy.com/shop/audreyandgrace?section_id=6633121
I'm still heading to a truck sale this week just to look around.

I'm trying to come up with invitations, a music playlist, and a Plan B if it rains. The gazebo itself is covered, but not the actual places where the guests will sit. I'm considering just telling people to all bring umbrellas just in case. I don't think we can afford another venue. I did ask the restaurant if we could have the ceremony there, and they declined. Urgh!!

Having a fight with my bridesmaids on something non-wedding related. Damn!

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 15 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #55

I thought this wedding planning business was going too well...

As you may remember, LeBoy and I had a plan for the invitations that the outlaws weren't as enthusiastic about. I sent LeMom the file with the image and didn't hear back about it, so I assumed she tried printing it on her laser printer, it looked like crap, as we predicted, and gave up. Well, I'd been talking to our calligrapher and she wanted to get started on the envelopes over the holidays because she's a teacher and had the time off. So, over the weekend I went and bought a big box of ivory envelopes. Yesterday, I emailed LeMom and told her I was going to drop them off at her house so LeSIL could pick them up because the calligrapher is a co-worker of hers. I dropped them off (she was still at work) and when I got back from volunteering at the animal shelter, there was an email waiting for me from her saying that she thought we were going to let her experiment with the image on their printer and now I've gone and bought the envelopes AND RUINED EVERYTHING (she didn't actually say that, but I could tell she was thinking it.)

I replied back and told her that as long as we use 5x7 paper, we could still potentially use her invitation (humoring her of course- LeBoy and I know it's not going to work.) She replied again and said that her plan was to work on them over Christmas break and use one of those invitation sets (which would come with envelopes) and she thinks that it would be better if we printed it on white paper instead of ivory. Um...the text in the picture is ivory, the flowers in the picture are ivory, my dress is ivory, one of our accent colors is ivory...there is no *white* anywhere, and it's not going to make a difference anyway.

LeBoy's going to have to 'splain things to her.

Ugh. M.I.L.D.E.W. headache.

--------------------

+Quote Post
quantumspice
post Dec 10 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #56

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(sassygrrl @ Dec 8 2009, 08:22 AM) *
Yay QSpice. Do you have a copy of them yet?

Of the announcement paper? Yeah, my sample came awhile ago! If we print them ourselves, this is what it'll be. Self printing will let us have an English announcement for my friends & family and a Portuguese for his without separate orders. But if we really like our photos, we may go with a photo based announcement instead, like this and have them not print married, so it just has our names, date, and location (so, uh, language really isn't an issue!).

Regarding plus sized wedding dresses: meh. If you're willing to play the return and try again game, igigi (which services 12+) has some fairly nice, affordable ones - but only a handful of styles. If wearing off-the-shoulder straps didn't bother me, I would have been so there. Not wanting a train but wanting a floor length gown made dress shopping a PAIN and I ended up picking a bridesmaid's dress. I haven't decided on the color yet -- it comes in white/ivory/cream as well as the rainbow of bridesmaids colors, and I haven't 100% decided between ivory/cream and this beautiful pale blue-green. I keep wavering between what I really want with the dress (rewearability) and tradition. Gostosinho says he doesn't care, and I think I believe him (he's got no problem telling me when he cares - like when we were looking at floral arrangements, he was ADAMENT that we should have the one with roses and freesia laugh.gif), so it's entirely my call.

This post has been edited by quantumspice: Dec 10 2009, 02:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Dec 10 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #57

sassygrrl

I love those Stephanie James dresses but they're about $2000, and a 12 week turnaround time.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Dec 10 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #58

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(sassygrrl @ Dec 9 2009, 08:15 AM) *
You gals and the Offbeat brides site are helping me so much! For that I want to thank you!! My wedding party is supportive but they aren't offering many ideas.
You gals and the girls from Offbeat Brides are helping me

sassy, have you checked out the boards at indiebride? corny name, i know, but many cool ideas and recommendations floating around.

ETA for invitations... what about goofy cartoon caricatures of you both? that's always fun!

This post has been edited by nickclick: Dec 10 2009, 09:51 AM

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Dec 10 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #59

sassygrrl

QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Dec 10 2009, 12:53 AM) *
The Knot has a search category just for tea-length dresses, so I looked at that and they suggested Melissa Sweet dresses. I've always liked those dresses, and I didn't realize they're part of Priscilla of Boston, so hopefully you'll have some luck there.

I also saw some nice stuff from Lea Ann Belter.

I really liked this dress from Sarah Arnett.

Your area is in the 50's or so in March? And remind me- you're hoping to have the ceremony outside? I dunno, that could be okay.

I just got an email that Priscilla/Boston is having a sample sale next week! Hell to the yeah.
Usually it's 50 in March but last year on March 1st it snowed!! I'm hoping last year was just a fluke.

I got the deposit down on the photographer and the button bouquets.

I think I'm just going to relax today. I feel like I've been working all week on this, and I'm literally exhausted.
Mainly it's just writing email, searching, and confirming things but that can be time consuming.

Mcgeek doesn't know what to do with the invitations. I thought those little Wii people, but don't know if that would be too cheesy. I'm considering just doing them ourselves to save some money.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 9 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #60

The Knot has a search category just for tea-length dresses, so I looked at that and they suggested Melissa Sweet dresses. I've always liked those dresses, and I didn't realize they're part of Priscilla of Boston, so hopefully you'll have some luck there.

I also saw some nice stuff from Lea Ann Belter.

I really liked this dress from Sarah Arnett.

Your area is in the 50's or so in March? And remind me- you're hoping to have the ceremony outside? I dunno, that could be okay.

--------------------

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 30, 2014 - 07:26 PM