Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

27 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> iud reviews?
lux
post May 6 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #21

BUSTie

I keep telling that to myself, but i'm a bit paranoid with health stuff smile.gif

I was really expecting a lot more blood. My mom had an iud for a long time and said her period was 10 days with heavy flow. Auch. I'm glad i don't seem to take after her in this. I had spotting before as well, and seem to have it with the iud too. I know i really shouldn't complain, but sometimes it seems like a bit of a waste to keep bleeding just a tiny bit for days on end. I never really had very heavy flow, except when i was a teenager.

In northern europe it seems to be pretty popular, but most doctors push mirena here. I didn't feel like trying that, because i've had bad experiences with progesteron. And i just don't feel like shopping around.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zoya
post May 6 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #22

uh huh.

lux - I wouldn't worry about infection, when I got my iud, my doctor told me that the risk of infection is greatest in the first 3 weeks, and that if I had an infection, I would definitely know - ie: fever, smelly discharge, etc etc. She said that there is pretty much no doubt that something is wrong. I had the same fears, but had no problems at all. Lucky you with the short period - the first 6 months I was like a flood. Gushing blood for 4 days. The weirdest thing about having a period with an iud for me is that when it's over, it's OVER. It just stops - no spotting, no tapering off, just - BAM - done. I have a friend who also has an iud who says that she has the same thing when her period ends. Weird.

ETA: I just had my annual gyno exam / pap the other day, and the nurse practitioner who did it told me that the number of women getting the iud in the US is growing quite quickly. I think that's really cool, seems the bad rap they had after the disasterous Dalkon Shield incident is going away. (I got mine in the UK)

+Quote Post
lux
post May 6 2010, 04:51 AM
Post #23

BUSTie

I shall continue my monologue... For some reason i feel the need to share this, not my usual reaction to things.

I had the shortest period i have ever had, and i have almost 18 years of experience. Two days of spotting, three days of bleeding and a day of spotting. Strange. My period used to be 5-6 days bleeding and 2-3 days spotting after that. Hmmm, maybe there just wasn't enough after the post-insertion bleeding? It was a bit more clotty (?) than what i'm used to, and with a little bit more cramping. Apart from that, a lot easier that my usual periods. Just hoping that i will have a reasonably regular cycle soon.

It seems to be in place, because i can only feel the strings. Now i just have to try to convince myself that the risk on infection is tiny, and i shouldn't worry so much smile.gif

+Quote Post
lux
post May 3 2010, 05:10 AM
Post #24

BUSTie

Now i'm bleeding again, but i think it is my period this time. It started 25 days after my last, and i think i ovulated about 10 days before that. At least it felt like it. And i started to completely uncontrollably crying at a concert on thursday smile.gif

I was getting a bit worried that there was something wrong as i started to get some cramping and brown discharge again, so i'm actually a bit happy that it was my period and not an infection. The bleeding and the cramping is pretty much the same as before nuvaring. I'm pleasantly surprised about that after reading all the horror stories. I never got rid of the cramping, so the bleeding is the only thing that have to get used to again. And i think it will be fine when i get to use my mooncup again. Again reminded of how much i don't like pads. Now i'm just hoping this won last for too long, and that i wont expel.

+Quote Post
lux
post Apr 22 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #25

BUSTie

Thanks Persi!

The bleeding stopped yesterday, and now i'm spotting a tiny bit. And i can still feel the iud sometimes. It's not really painful, just a bit unpleasant. So it's going well. The only problem now is all the nuvaring withdrawal symptoms. I'm retaining water and boobs hurt and my nipples are so sore. It started on monday, and i think it's a bit better today. So when i'm done with that i'll get to try sex with this thing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Apr 20 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

Congratulations lapis and lux! Welcome to the club of happy contraception!

Lux, I bled for about a week, but I presume that was partly due to coming off the pill. It took my periods about three months to settle down and be regular.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
lux
post Apr 18 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #27

BUSTie

A new update

it's been 5 days now, and it does not hurt anymore. I've had light period type cramps until last night. Bearable with out ibu yesterday. I'm not sure if should be still bleeding, but i am. Enough to use a pad, and it comes kind of period like. Not constantly, but i can feel when it comes out every couple hours. It just smells like blood, so i'm not that worried, but i'm hoping it ends soon. The doctor said i should expect to bleed for one day. I've read all these horror stories of bleeding for six months, and i'm hoping it wont be me. And i'm a bit paranoid about a PID, because i want to keep the iud and i want kids someday.

On the positive side, my blood glucose levels have been so much better, and i need to take a lot less insulin. I'm kind of pissed of at my doctor and nurse for not believing me when i said it HBC causing the changes in my BG control.

+Quote Post
lapis
post Apr 17 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi! I just wanted to report that this is my third paragard period and things are sooo much better than the last two. Not such heavy bleeding or feeling so tired I can't function. Cramping occurred before the first day, but there's been nothing else to speak of. And I'm finally using the diva cup--midwife cut the strings short to stay out of the way. Overall, this seems to be the most palatable bc I've ever used...except I haven't had sex yet. I wanted to give it time to settle in, so maybe in the next few weeks we'll see. I feel pleased, and barring any unwanted pregnancies or pain, this seems like it will do the trick. Hooray!

+Quote Post
lux
post Apr 14 2010, 06:52 AM
Post #29

BUSTie

So now i have an iud! I went to the gynocologist today, which i thought would be just a check up that everything is fine. But he said he could just put it in right away if everything seemed to be fine. At this point i got a bit nervous, because things didn't go the way i thought thay would. I decided to go forward with it, because i didn't want to have to come back in two weeks. And everything was fine, and now i have a flexi-t in me. I wasn't well prepair and took 800mg ibu just 5 min before he set it in. It hurt a lot, but not more than the worst cramps i had as a teenager. It was over pretty quickly, and he just asked me if i was alright. He said it sat there perfectly, and that i had taken it well. Then i went and bought shoes and took the 30 min buss home. Should have taken a taxi, but i survived. Now i'm planning to lie on the sofa for the rest of the day.

I'm np and its not my period, and taking that into account it hurt surprisingly little. I was expecting more. He wasn't giving me a lot of info in terms of what i should and shouldn't do. I did have a lot of questions based on what i'd read here and elsewhere, so i think i got the most important info out him. No intercourse for 10 days, pads for the first couple of months and if anything seems out of the ordinary i should contact a doctor right away. At least the first part will be easy, because i'm going back home for 10 days on friday! Not sure about the pads though.

I was surprised that it was so easy, and that he was not at all opposed the idea. He was just concerned that i was aware that i will be bleeding more when menstruating and it will probably be more painful. All this i knew and had considered on before hand. I did find out while researching this that iuds are very popular here and something like 20% of women choose it, mainly Mirena though. I never really found out anything conclusive about hormones and diabetes, but i did find out that some women do have the same effect from hormones as i did. So maybe its not all in my head. I'm really hoping there wont be an infection and that it stays in place. At least my mother, she used a copper iud for a very long time before sterilisation, didn't have any such experiences. I'm kind of counting on us having a similar physique.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Mar 21 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #30

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

That's awful, turbo. What a pain in the ass to find out you're allergic to that.

Let me know if you need LeBoy to give turbomann a pep talk about getting a vasectomy. Here's the place we went to. No needle, no scalpel. The doctor is really thorough- snips out a section of each vas defrens, cauterizes the ends and ties each end back. Then there's two lab tests to make sure he's in he clear, so to speak.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Mar 21 2010, 06:35 PM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

Humanist - definitely do a daily probiotic - I'm also putting a splotch of cider vinegar in a glass of water every morning and drinking that to help balance the PH.

I've had several UTIs in the last year since getting the IUD, and just saw a new acupuncturist specializing in allergies this week and guess what? I'm allergic to copper! Wooo. So my adrenal exhaustion and horrid allergies in the last year may be from the IUD. fuck. So, I'm back to nudging turbomann toward the vasectomy, and he's still not on board. I'm so frustrated. Ultimatum time is approaching once again. No vas - no sex. I'm allergic to condoms, too, so it's time for him to MAN UP. Gah. I'll let y'all know how this one settles out.

+Quote Post
mumblestutter
post Mar 15 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #32

Hardcore BUSTie

my gyno told me after she inserted my paragard, that she has the same kind and loves it smile.gif

also, zoya's totally right - dalkon shield was a fiasco and really stigmatized iuds in this country. (which is ironic b/c the futuristic-man-scientist mentality that created the device without any regard for female physiology continues to erode at a much slower rate.)

I really need to bookmark things because I can neither find the article I had that did a great job of explaining WHY dalkon shield was so dumb. Nor the website that was an essentially a museum of contraceptive devices. But just look at the copper t and the dalkon shield side by side. there's a reason why there hasn't been another iud that looks like dalkon shield before or since.

+Quote Post
dayglowpink
post Mar 14 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

I do not know if it's the copper or if it's even the IUD or just my natural reaction to things. I can't even remember if I used to have the problem at all before I had the IUD. Yes, boric acid is poisonous to roaches, etc. Apparently it's safe for the vagina, though! I had even heard before of people making their own capsules with it and inserting it, but I was too scared to do that, so I preferred to go the pharmacy route. I would definitely recommend talking to your doc about it. It has helped me so much. That smell was driving me crazy. My advice about using the suppositories is to put it in at night and wear some kind of pantyliner the next day. It dissolves inside your vagina, and then kinda comes out the next day when you're up and about.

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Mar 11 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #34

belligerently lazy

that may be the case, dayglow-I hope so! Isn't boric acid poisonous? I used it to kill roaches in my last apt-there were warning labels all over it about not getting it on your skin or inhaling it-is it safe in the vadge? I definitely get odorous for a few days if the boy cums inside-I actually think I'm allergic to the stuff.
I do have femdophilus-I should just take it everyday as a preventative measure, but I tend to take it when things get gross cuz the stuff is so expensive.
So does the copper in the Paragard make it basic?
thanks for your input!

--------------------
I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you if you don't watch your step.
-Matt Groening, Life in Hell

+Quote Post
dayglowpink
post Mar 10 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

humanist- I've had some similar issues at times with odor. I was tested for BV, and my doc said I didn't have it. She prescribed boric acid suppositories which I had to get at a special compounding pharmacy. They really help to rebalance my vaginal pH. The odor is probably caused by your vagina becoming too basic. Both semen and your menstrual cycle cause this to happen. I try to use the boric acid stuff on a regular basis, after having sex and towards the end of my period. It has really helped me. You also might want to consider taking a probiotic supplement like Femdophilus or some other brand.

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Mar 7 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #36

belligerently lazy

hey all,
I've had a Paragard for almost 3 years now and really loved in until recently, despite the normal heavier periods and death cramps-it's worth it for nearly fail-proof, long term bc with no hormonal side effects. Which is why I'm worried that I might have developed bacterial vaginosis from it..the past several months, there's a smell so foul and strong that I can smell it fully clothed, in a standing position. It seems to permeate all around me, really. A rather farty, rotting fish smell. It's present mostly towards the end of my period and the week after.
I hope it won't have to come out if it is bv, but it probably will. I've found many accounts from other Paragard users who've had problems with bv after having the IUD for a few years and ended up getting it removed, as I'm guessing there's no alternative. It would make sense that an object that stays in-utero for many years might be a risk for infection.

That said, there are many women who have great experiences to the end with an IUD, so I'm not posting this to warn anyone necessarily, but to give caution to those especially who already have chronic vaginal infection issues-there's a lot of info that shows the IUD tends to make things worse.

--------------------
I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you if you don't watch your step.
-Matt Groening, Life in Hell

+Quote Post
zoya
post Mar 5 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #37

uh huh.

I think the reason that they're not as widely used in the US is that back in the 70's (or maybe early 80's??) there was an IUD called the Dalkon Shield that caused severe infections and I believe maybe a couple deaths. This IUD was a new shape and only used in the US. The design was really shitty - parts of it tended to embed in the uterus, it caused endometriosis, the strings were faulty and held bacteria, leading to severe pelvic infections, etc. There was a lawsuit and a huge settlement over it. So I think that in the US, there was a whole paranoia about ALL iud's, and a lot of misinformation - causing all IUD's to get a bad rap. Sucks, cause the Copper T has never been shown to cause any kinda of issues, and it's been used hugely worldwide in the years prior and since the Dalkon Shield incident, with really no issues. (can you tell I did my homework before getting it? haha!) It's always been used in the UK and Europe, I know for sure, since that's where I got mine (UK) and when they came out with the hormonal one, that's been used really successfully since as well.

It seems to me that they're kind of making a comeback in the US among younger women, or maybe it's just me and my friends who are all about the IUD... I LOVE it. I wish I'd done it years ago. I love the idea of 10 years of birth control without doing anything, and no hormones involved. I think I've actually gotten more horny since I got it, mainly cause I know I can't get pregnant! I just can't wait til I have a long term partner where we can eventually go bareback and I don't have to worry!!!

+Quote Post
lapis
post Mar 5 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for the reassurance, zoya. I think the whole thing is pretty normal. I like to think of the exceptions and tend to worry about what could go wrong, but it seems so much better than being on the pill, risking pregnancy with condoms, or anything else available. I keep wondering why they aren't so popular in the US and think it must have something to do with drug companies (pills cost so much more and have paid so much in ads) or even pro-lifers. To look at iud use globally it makes me feel like they should be endorsed by doctors more here. Also, I got mine placed through planned parenthood and was so grateful for their years of experience. The administrative folks all had them and the midwife really enjoys placing them. I think they all knew what they were doing, and wonder how often regular doctors place them...

+Quote Post
zoya
post Mar 3 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #39

uh huh.

lapis -

I couldn't feel the strings for awhile, but I do now, sometimes they just kinda move around and until you're used to finding them, you miss 'em. I'm sure it's in there, don't freak out too much - and if you can't find them and are worried, you can always go in and get it checked. The full on fountain of a period is totally normal from what I know - I certainly had it. I was like a geyser until about the 3rd - 4th month and then they started to taper off a bit. I've had my copper T for a year and my periods are much less heavy now, although heavier than they used to be (I had super light periods, so now I guess I have what you'd call a "normal" period) and no cramps at all. I don't know about adhesions, but you sound like you're just having a normal experience (if you read thru the archives, I had just about exactly the same thing go on - loads of blood and I couldn't find the strings!)

+Quote Post
lapis
post Mar 3 2010, 10:49 AM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi ladies, I got my paragard about a month ago. the first period was weird--I started spotting about a week before my period and then had a full on fountain for a couple of days. I cramped before the period but the actual bleed was not uncomfortable. My big concern now, being paranoid, is about adhesions. How would you know if you had them or were getting them? Would they be painful? And would you have to have a d/c to take care of them later? Any ideas? Also, of course, I can't feel the strings but did during my period. I think it's still in there but would hate to have to wait weeks to find them again. I've tried putting up one leg and bearing down. I guess squatting might help. Any other ideas? Thanks!

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 21, 2014 - 06:24 PM