Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

27 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> iud reviews?
missladyj
post Feb 28 2010, 07:43 AM
Post #41

Hardcore BUSTie

lux, I don't have kids and when I first wanted to get birth control my doctor first suggest and IUD. I decided against it and went on the pill but eventually switched to the IUD. I am really happy with it. The insertion was not so bad. Let us know what you decide.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lux
post Feb 28 2010, 06:39 AM
Post #42

BUSTie

I've been reading the archive. Still not finished, a lot of good info. I've also been reading IUD Divas, which has been helpful. It's good to know that I'm not the only one without kids who is interested in this. Here it seems to mainly recommended for those who have given birth.

I've bought all kinds of supplements the doctors recommend for PMS and I'll give those another chance. With higer dose than last time. Maybe I should look into meditation while I'm at it.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
dayglowpink
post Feb 27 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #43

Hardcore BUSTie

I had the same experience as zoya with the cramps. I don't get cramps at all anymore (or very rarely), and I've had my Paraguard for about 4 years. I do get HORRIBLE mood swings with my PMS, though! The Paraguard doesn't have any effect on that, unfortunately. I would also suggest that you look through the archives of this thread.

+Quote Post
zoya
post Feb 27 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #44

uh huh.

lux - if you haven't already, I'd suggest going back through the archives of this thread. Several of us have posted our accounts of getting the IUD inserted, most of us right after getting it done, so it was fresh in our memories. This thread is really what tipped the scale for me in terms of deciding to go for it. The info and experiences in the archives are dead on, and helped me know exactly what to expect.

+Quote Post
lux
post Feb 27 2010, 04:14 AM
Post #45

BUSTie

missladyj - I'm thinking my PMS could now be better than 3 years ago, because I'm in different place now, and I have the energy to look into things like exercise, caffeine consumption and all that. I hope that it will help. I'm by no means against using hormones if they help, I'm just not sure if that's what's best for my body right now.

I've been looking into the whole hormones and blood glucose combination. I think I'll go with copper first. It cheaper, and if it turns out to be horrible, which I doubt that it will be, I'll try Mirena. I'm not very pleased with the ring right now, even though it's not all bad. I'm getting increasingly worried that it's not effective, because I'm not very good at putting it back in on time after my "period".

I'm just bad at making these kinds of decisions, so now I'm running around asking advise from everyone smile.gif

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Feb 26 2010, 06:05 AM
Post #46

Hardcore BUSTie

lux,I have mirena which is a hormonal IUD and have had it for about a year. My periods are lighter than when I am not on birth control. Cramping is okay .I find that my cramping is more related to my caffeine consumption more than anything else. I hope you find something that works for you.

+Quote Post
lux
post Feb 24 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #47

BUSTie

I have cramps now as well, and I'm not too worried about that and possible heavier bleeding. I don't bleed much, even without the extra hormones. I kind of figured a bit of extra cramps will weigh less as a negative, than the affect from the hormones. I'm mainly worried about the mood swings will return. And I guess they will. I'll keep searching for the PMS/acupuncture info:)
Thanks

+Quote Post
zoya
post Feb 24 2010, 09:22 AM
Post #48

uh huh.

if by PMS you mean cramps- then YES. I never used to have cramps before, and they were hellacious for the first few months. That said, I've had my IUD for a year now, and I am pretty much back to normal - no cramps, just a bit of a heavier period. It took about 6 -8 months for the cramps every month to subside, but they got less and less every month. And they only lasted for a couple days. As far as the other symptoms, no change- there are no hormones to affect your PMS so your body is just doing what it would normally do. The only reason there is a change with cramping and bleeding is that there is something (the IUD) physically in there.

+Quote Post
lux
post Feb 24 2010, 05:50 AM
Post #49

BUSTie

I don't know where else to ask about IUD's, so maybe you can help me. I would like to switch from Nuvaring to a copper IUD. The problem is, I was put on hormonal BC three years ago because of my raging PMS (two weeks of depression, tired and problems with concentration, plus all the physical stuff, bloating, sore breast etc. every month). It has helped with that, though I still get some of that. It seems to be getting worse again.

The problem I have with the hormones, is that regulating my blood glucose levels (type 1 diabetes), has gotten more difficult. I am also getting a bit paranoid about the blood clotting, since on top of the diabetes, I also have migraines. Though I have had less of those after the Nuvaring. My sex drive has also been much lower, than what I'm used to, and I feel less energetic that I used to be (on the two first weeks of my cycle that is). I don't think chancing the brand would hekp, because I can't even remember to take my insulin on time, and the ring is supposedly the lowest on hormone levels.

So there are some benefits for me on staying on the hormonal. But I would like to have more regular blood glucose levels, and lose weight, and get my sex drive back. I'm just really scared of the PMS, so I was wondering if anyone here has any experience on having a horrible PMS and having an IUD? Also if any of you have experience on treating PMS (or more like PMDD) with acupuncture, I would love to hear your experiences. I am contemplating putting the money I'm now using on the ring to acupuncture. Also if you have a link to another thread on acu and PMS, that would be great too.

+Quote Post
zoya
post Dec 20 2009, 06:07 AM
Post #50

uh huh.

if you're just getting the copper T, nothing should change, as there are no hormones in it. I can't speak for the one with hormones, as I have the copper T.

+Quote Post
sweetest85
post Dec 14 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #51

hi everyone,
i'm getting the IUD fitted soon. alittle worried if i will put on weight as i am already over weight and need to lose it off. has anyone lost any waight with the IUD.
i have just had my second child and need a good source of contraception and after lots of reserch i think this is the best one for me.
my periods are very short only last for 2 to 3 days and are not heavy at all.
not sure what to do plz help

+Quote Post
mumblestutter
post Oct 12 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

sorry to hear that jenn. having your uterus sounded & then walking away without the iud sounds unpleasant & frustrating. I'm sure there are different degrees & directions a uterus can tilt. that said my uterus is tilted and i had a standard insertion without any sedation or complications.

my gynecologist also said loves iuds and has spent alot of time learning about them. iuds are still very uncommon in this country & are pretty pretty stigmatized. the few women who do have them get them inserted once every several years. with insertions being infrequent & few, i'm sure it's possible that even an experienced, caring dr might not be an iud insertion expert. if you're still interested in getting an iud, it might be worth looking for a dr who has a lot of experience with iuds.

either way, good luck finding a birth control method that works for you smile.gif

+Quote Post
dayglowpink
post Oct 12 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #53

Hardcore BUSTie

That just happened to a friend of mine the other day, too. They weren't able to get her Mirena in and said that it was because of her tipped uterus. Also her cervix was very tight. She said they used some kind of small speculum to try to open the cervix, and it was pretty painful. She is going back to try again with the dr using an ultrasound. I guess that allows the dr to see it as they go along and hopefully guide it in better. Maybe you could check with other dr's offices to see if there is one that offers that service.

+Quote Post
zoya
post Oct 9 2009, 05:24 AM
Post #54

uh huh.

yeah that's what the dr that inserted my iud said, that the only two worries that they have with inserting are a uterus that is tipped so much that they can't get a good angle to get it in, or a cervix that is just to tight to open. I'd definitely try it again if you can, to me, the insertion and all the things like cramping and heavier period (both of which have gotten immensely better over the course of time) are completely worth it.

+Quote Post
jenn62983
post Oct 9 2009, 05:06 AM
Post #55

I did read through this thread, I understood that it would be a little pain, but the thought of no hormones and no bc for 10 if i wanted was sounding like a good trade. so even though there was going to be pain and cramping... I still wanted to get the paragard IUD. I went to the Dr yesterday after work to get this inserted. It was painful.... but they could not get the IUD inserted. They said my uterus was tilted and they couldnt get it in. My other option is to come back and they will sedate me and put it in, but still wouldnt guarantee that they could get it in.... I think I will just look up other bc options.... I am very disappointed, bc I went through some pain... and there was NO RESULT sad.gif Thankyou all for posting here, if they could have inserted it, it would have been worth it....

+Quote Post
zoya
post Oct 8 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #56

uh huh.

what mumblestutter said, and read back thru the archives of this thread. a bunch of us have given our accounts of getting an iud inserted and what it was (and has been) like afterwards. it helped me a lot in my decision to get one to read people's experiences with it.

good luck! it's the best thing I've ever done in terms of BC. wish I'd done it years ago!!!

+Quote Post
mumblestutter
post Oct 8 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #57

Hardcore BUSTie

Just relax. ( and take some ibuprofen before you go!)

what you'll feel when it's over with will be like intense cramping, so breath deep & avoid tensing your muscles smile.gif

+Quote Post
jenn62983
post Oct 8 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #58

I am glad I found this Forum.... I am 26, and have had 1 baby, he is 14 months old now.... I have deceided to get the Paraguard Copper IUD bc of it having no hormones.... I am scared to death... my appt is at 3:30 today.... any advice?

+Quote Post
Alison21
post Oct 5 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(emilaweasel @ Aug 29 2009, 12:28 PM) *
Hey all, I just found this forum last night. I have had a Para Guard copper IUD for 3 months now. I have never been pregnant. I had bad, bad experiences with hormonal birth control a.k.a. the horrible emotional PMS 24/7 anxiety monster that some ladies have been describing. So I opted for the copper IUD and for the most part have been really happy-- I absolutely love that I can have sex with no preparation, no worries and no fucking condoms!! Lately though I have been having cramps throughout the month, which I was pretty much told to expect, but also intense achey joint pain in my hips. I'm 19 and I don't have any history of this pain.

Also, I am wondering if anyone else who is using the copper IUD has experienced PMSy emotional instability increasing after insertion. I konw that the no hormone bc is not supposed to fuck with your moods as much, but I wonder if it can give me cramps at random times of the month if that can't somehow translate into other symptoms of PMS. I've had a lot going on lately, and it's entirely possible that this is just the stress of my outside life playing on my body, but I thought I'd send out a call and see if I got any responses. Thanks!

After I got my paraguard inserted before I started getting really crampy I was crying uncontrolably for no reason. I could not stop. I think it was just because I was alittle freaked out and scared.

+Quote Post
Alison21
post Oct 5 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #60

Hey I got my Iud insterted about a month ago. It was the most pain I have ever been in. I thought something was wrong because it hurt so bad. I waited it out and the next day I felt better but still a lot of cramping. I have never had a baby so this probably has alot to do with it. After about two weeks I could have sex and it was fine. I just got my period last week and it was much heavier and alot of cramping the first two days. It has been about four days now and there is no cramping and it is pretty much over. I think next month it will be pretty much normal since it wasn't too bad this time. Over all I like it but I will never forget the first day I was like get this thing out of me!

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 23, 2014 - 08:24 PM