The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hey fat Ass! Why is sizism still an acceptable prejudice?
stargazer
post Aug 9 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #1

brown delicious

Gabbi Gregg won a vote to be MTV's new Twitter Jockey. If you are not familiar with this fashionist, then you should visit her blog. She is adorable!

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 27 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #2

A symphony of atrocities.

I couldn't read her entire article. I had to stop. It was harshing my chi in a big way.

When I hear or see things like that I secretly give myself a little mental hug and say "I love you, you're just so wonderful. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18

+Quote Post
stargazer
post May 26 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #3

brown delicious

Um. Wow. At least, I felt gratified that most of the comments were negative towards the author. I have said it once and I will say it again, Republicans, conservatives, make the worse arguments I've ever heard. They can only maintain sanity (if that is what you call it) for a minute before their speeches or diatribes dissolve into pure bully behavior with incompetent and incoherent speech to match.

And yes, AP, that woman had major photoshop retouching done. I've seen her on TV shows and she looks nothing like that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ketto
post May 26 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

That article was really horrible, I had a hard time reading it.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post May 26 2010, 04:22 AM
Post #5

Big Fat Bitch

QUOTE(angie_21 @ May 25 2010, 11:44 AM) *
"only because the hypocritical, usual Hollywood types felt bad for this fat chick the way they'd never feel bad for a wounded American soldier in Iraq or a victim of Islamic terrorism"

huh... what?? where the f*ck did terrorism suddenly come from?

This is one of my pet peeves about political punditry. The way people can & WILL bring their crazy schtick into ANYTHING. There was a Lewis Black bit on TDS a week or two ago that basically showed how Glenn Back could work the Nazis into goddamned near anything.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
angie_21
post May 25 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

"only because the hypocritical, usual Hollywood types felt bad for this fat chick the way theyd never feel bad for a wounded American soldier in Iraq or a victim of Islamic terrorism"

huh... what?? where the f*ck did terrorism suddenly come from? big brother in the kitchen? the inner thoughts of a madwoman. Sometimes there are reasons the internet never should have been invented, I can't believe these kind of crazy people have little soap-boxes to spew their bile to the rest of the world.

+Quote Post
anarch
post May 24 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Egads, that's one hell of an out-and-out bitchy post Schlussel wrote. Certifiably gratuitously nasty.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post May 24 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #8

Big Fat Bitch

Why are there are assholes like Debbie Schlussel that are just plain NASTY? I'm not gonna lie, Gabby had her moment, but it's unlikely that she's going to continue to have a *full* career as an actor unless it's indie (Precious) or cable (the Big C) because of her weight. She'll be the fat & sassy friend character (Yelling To the Sky). But that Schlussel person is just fucking Satan about it. And it looks like most of Schlussel's own photos have photoshopped her double chin out, so she's not a petite flower her own damned self.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
kittenb
post May 13 2010, 06:19 AM
Post #9

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

I think that the idea of Fat Acceptance can be great but I wish that there was more conversation in that movement about "health at any size." Maybe there is and I just missed it. However, a few years ago I went to a discussion lead by a Fat Acceptance advocate and I feel like the whole conversation became a celebration about being unhealthy. The speaker actually said that she could not be friends with anyone who dieted. At that point I had just lost weight doing South Beach for reasons both cosmetic and physical and I felt really judged.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
stargazer
post May 12 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #10

brown delicious

QUOTE(Persiflager @ May 12 2010, 03:12 AM) *
Then again, do you think that learning to accept and love your body can lead to people being more in touch with how their body feels, and then eating healthier and taking more exercise because it feels good, rather than because they want to lose weight?

Persi, what you described is actually being researched and support in the weight management movement in primary care in the States. They are discovering the less emphasis people place on numbers and more on the connection of how one feels with movement, exercise, change in eating habits...an individual may be encouraged and motivated to continue with the new behaviors.

Ketto, I agree that I think medicine is still trying to determine what is considered a healthy weight. Does one look at the number of ailments and/or medications one is taking to determine health? I guess to look at it from the medical perspective that they are trying to gauge a weight, not so much to inflict guilt or negative perspectives about one's body, but, to be preventative in a person's health. In a way, the fat acceptance movement is helpful in encouraging us to look at different body types as being representative of health. I think it is great that you are encouraging your niece to appreciate her body.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ketto
post May 12 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

I think there's a real misconception still about fat=unhealthy, skinny=healthy. Just reading your post, star, I agree, people should take responsibility for their health, but sometimes that means being overweight AND healthy. More and more you hear about people who are overweight but healthier than slimmer counterparts. And a few weeks ago I heard about a study that found women over 60 were healthier when they were slightly overweight.

A lot of people still rely heavily on the BMI scale too, but both my endo and my GP refuse to use that scale because it's unrealistic. I rate as overweight because I'm 4'11 and 125lbs, but it fails to take into account body type - i have large breasts and a very curvy body but I would absolutely say I'm average. I wear size 2-4 pants, a 30E bra, and size xs shirts so...meanwhile, to get my BMI to fall right in the middle of the healthy scale I would have to lose 20 pounds - I don't even think that's possible. At my slimmist, which was quite slim, I still weighed 115.

I would think fat acceptance, at least in the movements I saw around my university (although I'm 2 years out), was a way to encourage people to take responsibility for our own health. But as I understand it, the fat acceptance movement is also there to make the point that you CAN be overweight and healthy and it's not anyone's business but your own.

My 7 year old niece is a bit overweight, she always has been, but I can already see how badly she feels about her body sometimes. My brother feeds her really healthy foods and she likes to get involved in the kitchen, he actually told her the car was broken so they ride their bikes everywhere, and pretty much all she does is play outside with friends. But when he was still with his ex-wife they got very lazy and ate a lot of junk food - my niece was 3 at that time and gained a fair bit of weight that has never really come off. We went swimming at a wading pool when she was 5 and another little girl told her she had a big tummy. She was really embarrassed about it and we were both wearing bikini's so I stuck out my tummy and said, "I have a big one too and I think we both have beautiful tummy's". Sometimes she tells me older girls at school have made comments and it's heartbreaking. A friend of mine volunteers doing talks with elementary school students talking about healthy body image - she had an eating disorder in high school and when she started volunteering with this program she just seemed to realize how ridiculous the restrictions she'd placed on herself were. She loves talking to students about how to love and accept their body, no matter what size they are. A report I read last year here said that kids as young as 5 are developing eating disorders. It's just terrifying to me how much pressure is out there to be THIN THIN THIN when thin and healthy aren't necessarily the same thing.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post May 12 2010, 03:12 AM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Out of curiosity, do you think fat acceptance has the effect improving or damaging physical health?

I could see it could encourage a lazy/unhealthy attitude (and it looks like that's a common opinion on the internet). Then again, do you think that learning to accept and love your body can lead to people being more in touch with how their body feels, and then eating healthier and taking more exercise because it feels good, rather than because they want to lose weight?

I'd be interested to see research into the impact on long-term physical health.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
stargazer
post May 11 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #13

brown delicious

QUOTE(auralpoison @ May 10 2010, 02:43 PM) *
This question? Is a politically LOADED one as you only listed "good fat" (= proportionate, "feminine" bodies) terms & not "bad fat" (= rotund, "unattractive" bodies) terms. It's the way popular culture & the media use proportional terms to designate socially acceptable fats & relegate the disproportional fats to the "lazy, gross, etc" people that seems to make any term except "fat" insulting & divisive within the FA community.

That's the reason why I asked the question. I'm pretty confused by the types of words being used in our culture. Curvy and voluptuous seem to be very popular right. I understand what you mean about the use of language to adequately capture one's experience with one's connection with one's body.

I will say that I am on the fence about the whole fat acceptance thing. Maybe I shouldn't post that here. Then again, no one really posts much around here anyway. I'm supportive of different body types. At the same time, I do not want to enable to people to not be responsible for one's health and well being. I'm a size 14 and relatively healthy, I like to think. I'm not skinny and I'm not "bad" fat weight. Sure, according to the BMI, my weight and height is considered slightly obese. I guess I am concerned that fat acceptance may encourage people to not take responsibility for one's health and do something different. Then again, I am probably assuming that people want to change and be a healthy weight.

Working with people with health issues, I view this issue from a different perspective, a public health issue. Any feedback would be welcomed about my ambivalence with the fat acceptance movement.

--------------------

+Quote Post
anarch
post May 10 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(auralpoison @ May 10 2010, 11:43 AM) *
"good fat" (= proportionate, "feminine" bodies) terms & not "bad fat" (= rotund, "unattractive" bodies) terms.

This reminds me of someone in the small breast support group thread who pointed out that our culture's small boob celebrities have bodies that still conform, in other ways (every other way, really), to beauty dogma. Proportionate, skinny, etc. Yet there's still massive resistance to even these micro-steps away from the dogma.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post May 10 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #15

Big Fat Bitch

QUOTE(stargazer @ May 8 2010, 10:07 AM) *
Btw, what term would you prefer...full figured, plus size, BBW, curvy......to describe your shape?

This question? Is a politically LOADED one as you only listed "good fat" (= proportionate, "feminine" bodies) terms & not "bad fat" (= rotund, "unattractive" bodies) terms. It's the way popular culture & the media use proportional terms to designate socially acceptable fats & relegate the disproportional fats to the "lazy, gross, etc" people that seems to make any term except "fat" insulting & divisive within the FA community.

Some days I swear if it's not one fat fucking thing, it's another. This is why I don't sit behind my computer bitching with the other fatties about fat stuff: it can make one crazy.

I just usually go with fat. I'm a fat girl. Or fat woman, rather.

There is this thing in the fat activism movement where the (majority of?) women choose to own the word "fat" as a positive thing. They are not zaftig, they are fat, get over it. Often the FA's get upset at the women that use "full-figured, plus-size, BBW, curvy" because those words are distancing since they are usually only applied to the more hourglass figured ladies & not those proportioned more like a Venus of Willendorf or some other varied body type, say a retired footballer.

Fat activism is a tricky fucking place. I'm all for owning your shape & loving yourself & being who you are, but most importantly, I think it's important to be HEALTHY in body, mind, & spirit. The activism thing can get just plain ugly if you aren't. The judging begins, she's too fat/she's not fat enough, who's more oppressed than who (black fat, handicapped fat, etc), blahblahblahblahblah. It gets so bogged down in language that shit gets out of fucking control & the fat lynching boogeyman is everywhere ready to leap out & truss you up for the most minor of language infractions. And we all know my habit of calling 'em like I see 'em isn't really conducive to that kind of thing. I'd be disemvoweled & then banned in no fucking time, ahem, f(l)at. I dipped my toe in it that one time on here & I swore I'd never do it again & I haven't. I have neither nor the time nor the inclination. No matter how much I like making people cry. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
stargazer
post May 8 2010, 09:07 AM
Post #16

brown delicious

Yay for the Polish! Actual women as models. Not "plus size" models who are just a size 10.

Btw, what term would you prefer...full figured, plus size, BBW, curvy......to describe your shape?

--------------------

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Apr 14 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #17

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

But AP, if I've learned nothing from watching PROJECT RUNWAY I have learned that fashoin can only be modeled on walking hangers & hangers don't have curves!

I've had two big "Bad feminist!" moments recently. I've been working out & eating well since January. So why di I see a spot of back fat the other day and actually utter a sound of disgust? About my own body?! I have backfat! I've had it for awhile. To allow myself to be grossed out about myself felt so bad. And today I saw a pic that was taken of me. It was from the side and I was sitting and I swear I barely recognized myself. My normal reaction when I see a pic of myself it NOT to scream "Burn that picture!" but I basically did just that this morning. I looked huge and that made me feel so bad and then I felt worse about feeling bad about feeling fat. Ugh, it is too much pressure.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Mar 31 2010, 03:03 AM
Post #18

Big Fat Bitch

Okay, so Italian Vogue has launched it's Curvy page, this month's French Elle has an absolutely GORGEOUS big girl (Tara Lyn) on the cover as well as a beautiful fashion spread, what have we? Vogue's latest yearly "size" issue. It addresses many fashion concerns *except* for rotund. There is the token "womanly" woman (Which is insulting itself, "womanly" women come in all shapes, bitches!), but that is about it.

I read some excerpts from the big fashion powwow where designers, magazine editors, models, agencies, stylists, healthcare professionals, etc sat down & talked about the unhealthy skinnifying of models & it was just ridiculous. Nobody wanted to own any part of the problem. The designers blamed the magazines, the magazines blamed the agencies, the agencies blamed the designers, EVERYBODY blamed Eastern Europe for having such pretty young girls desperate for a little money post-communism, etc. It seems kinda simple to me. QUIT MAKING YOUR SAMPLES IN A SIZE ZERO, PERIOD. STOP STYLING/PHOTOGRAPHING THE SIZE ZEROS, PERIOD. STOP HIRING TWELVE YEAR OLD RUSSIAN GIRLS THAT MAINTAIN THE SIZE ZEROS BY FUCKING STARVING, PERIOD!

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Mar 7 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #19

Big Fat Bitch

Gabby Sidibe looked beautiful tonight on the Oscars. It was nice to see a big girl represent!

Mo'nique & Queen Latifah looked nice, too!

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Feb 17 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #20

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Yeah, Kate Harding had a nice article about it yesterday, as did Jezebel.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 19, 2014 - 04:09 AM