2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Not just your grandma's birth control: Fertility Awareness/NFP
katze
post Aug 3 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #21

BUSTie

QUOTE(maddy29 @ Jun 27 2006, 03:18 PM) *

Thanks pixie- it does sound like great bc for someone who is somewhat ok with an unplanned pregnancy-not for me!

FAM isn't for those that are okay with an unplanned pregnancy anymore than any other form of birth control is. If you are having sex there is always a chance of pregnancy, and FAM is just as effective at avoiding it as any other method. Of course you have to use it correctly, but the same goes for the pill and condoms, etc. My husband and I would rather not have a child at this time so we are extra careful, adding an extra day or two of abstinence if we are in doubt. I would be much less assured if we relied on condoms which could fail (and only would fail during my fertile time) or the pill, which can also fail with occasional breakthough ovulations, yet I would not be aware of this at the time. Those types of birth control feel so blind to me, not really knowing what is going on with my body, hoping for the best. With FAM I always know what's going on with my cycle, knowing if I'm very fertile, a little fertile, or not fertile. Another benefit is that I can tell if I've been eating right due to the consistency of my mucus. My mucus is always much heavier and stretchy when I've been eating my veggies.

I realized after sending that, that I should have introduced myself. I was on this board a year ago, but I've forgotten my user name and password, so I started a new account. I've been using FAM for about 1 1/2 years and so far so good. I was planning to get an IUD eventually, when I could afford one, but I like FAM so much that I don't think I will.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dynamitedamsel
post Jul 27 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #22

BUSTie

Cinegirl...Thanks for the great website.

+Quote Post
cinegirl
post Jul 5 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

I love TCOYF. I think all women should read it, no matter what.

I use mymonthlycycles dot com to chart.

--------------------
read what i'm reading at Reading is my Superpower

+Quote Post
falljackets
post Jul 5 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #24

crush groovin'

fertilityfriend dot com will keep track of your temps and other indicators as well. you don't have to print anything out. of course, this would only work if you have regular internet access.

i've been using it for a year now, since miscarrying in june of '05. i'm using it for conception purposes and without it, i wouldn't have known that i stopped ovulating after the mc.

even though i really thought i KNEW my body/cycle, etc, everything seemed so new.

i also totally recommend the TCOYF book that tatiana suggested. but like she said, only get started if you are willing to do this EVERY DAY. it's not a half-assed thing to do or you'll screw yourself royally. hehe

--------------------
to love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides - Viscott

+Quote Post
karianne
post Jul 5 2006, 07:40 AM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi, catclark. My temps are usually low too. The Garden of Fertility website has low temp charts.
here

+Quote Post
catclark
post Jul 4 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #26

Okay I just started charting and I have a problem.
- my temperatures are consistently 0.5 degrees C (I'm in Britain so I can only really get metric thermometers) below the chart! (I'm on day 6 so they should be fairly low.)Also, the chart goes in 0.05 accuracy but my thermometer is 0.1. Do I just have a lower body temperature and need to make some DIY charting sheets with lower temperatures or what? And do I need a new thermometer?
Thanks sooo much for any help. I think this whole FAM things ace!
Cat x

PS Hello! I'm new, long time lurker coming crawling in when I have a problem :D

+Quote Post
tatiana
post Jun 27 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #27

BUSTie

If you are really interested maddy (as in, not just mildly curious--not that there is anything wrong with that either but it's probably not enough motivation to read a book :-) ), there is a really good book which may be at your local library that explains everything really well:

Taking Charge of Your Fertility
by Toni Weschler

(it's available on Amazon, but I haven't figured out how to post proper links here)

Oh, and by the way, I'm not the least bit ok with an unplanned pregnancy but this is what I use. We don't have sex when I'm fertile because condoms can fail.

It's not as spontaneous, but we're ok with it. I've been using it for 5 years (I've always used a computerised charter though, because I don't trust my charting skills and memory of all the rules and the computerised doodad is a lot more conservative than most people).

+Quote Post
maddy29
post Jun 27 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks pixie- it does sound like great bc for someone who is somewhat ok with an unplanned pregnancy-not for me!

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Jun 27 2006, 12:54 PM
Post #29

Tink's Red headed Step Sis

It's a thermometer that you use to take your emperature while you are still in bed in the morning. Once you get up, your heart rate increase..temp goes up, ect.
For me this is a great method. Mr. Pixie and I have been talking about having a child ever since we got together.(we've only been married 2 months). So even before the wedding,had we gotten pg, not a huge deal. Before that I was married for 10 years(2 seperated)and had I gotten pg by accident then, again not a big deal.
In the end you have to access how regular you are, and how you would deal with an unexpected pregnancy. When we are no longer comfortable with the idea of an unexpected pregnancy the Mr. will get a vasectomy.

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
maddy29
post Jun 27 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

No, this is great! VEry interesting. I just got an IUD, so I'm set for Birth control for now, but i had no idea there was a more natural way to do it. Although, the reason I went off the pill was mostlyl because every now and then I'd forget it, and I just didn't want to risk it.

Thanks for the info. What is a basal body thermometer?

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Jun 27 2006, 12:17 PM
Post #31

maddy...mostly it involves taking your temp every morning with a basal body thermometer to determine when you are ovulating. Women can get pregnant at any time IF they are ovulating irregularly or having unprotected sex within 3-4 days of ovulation. My husband and I mark a calendar because I have a fairly regular cycle and we don't have unprotected sex during cycle days 10-20. I usually ovulate between days 14-16. We use condoms or other non hormonal birth control during that 10 day period. Of course now that we are trying to get pg, we are trying to pinpoint exactly when I ovulate in order to get the maximum chance of conception.I have been sexually active for...I guess about 10 years now. I have never used hormonal birth control and only have 1 child, and she was planned.
I used to be pretty consistant with condoms until about the last 2 years. I've found that latex and spermacides kind of irritate me so I try not to use anything when I don't have to now.
This is probably way more information than you wer wanting.;p

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
maddy29
post Jun 27 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #32

Hardcore BUSTie

I heard about this thread over in the "have your period whenver you want" thread.

How does NFP work? What do you have to do? It's confusing to me, because I thought that the consensus was that a woman "could" get pregnant at any time.

Thanks for the info

+Quote Post
hummingbird
post Jun 23 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks Ladies.

+Quote Post
tatiana
post Jun 23 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #34

BUSTie

hummingbird, Ladycomp is like an alarm clock with a thermometer and computer chip that does all the charting for you. It has 3 lights: red, green, yellow. Green is 'go for it', red is 'only if you want to get pregnant', and yellow is 'your guess is as good as mine'.

http://www.babycomp-ladycomp.com/

+Quote Post
cinegirl
post Jun 23 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm on cycle day 1, the saddest day for TTCers...

I've gotten used to taking my temp- cervical fluid doesn't work for me b/c I've had cryosurgery & apparently that can affect your fluid. I'm obsessed with charting my temps b/c it's so amazing to watch my temperature jump around.

I also always feel ovarian pain when I ovulate, which is cool. What I love about FAM is seeing how amazing my body is...

--------------------

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Jun 23 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #36

TTC=Trying to Concieve

The ovulator kit thingy is like a pg test that you pee on and it traces the hormon levels in your urine. You do it evry day from day 11-until you ovulate if you are wanting to get pg.

Yeah....I've never been much in the cervicle fluid method. I've basically always done what you mention about tracking periods and being careful from about day 10-20.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hummingbird
post Jun 23 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #37

Hardcore BUSTie

Sorry, what is TTC and the Ladycomp and an ovulator kit thingy?

I can't remember to take the temp first thing in the morning, my cervical fluid is generally much thinker even when ovulating so I can't rely on it, and my vag is rather short, so I can't rely on checking when its low cause it always feels low.

What works for me is charting my period. And figuring when I ovulate and using protection up to six or seven days before ovulation. I use the feeling in my body to help to tell me that I am ovulating or about to ovulate. I can feel it all over...

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Jun 23 2006, 01:16 PM
Post #38

Cinegirl...I tried charting last month. I'm not particularly good at it because I have a hard time remembering to take my temp first thing in the morning. I have always been aware of the calendar aspect of fertility though. I have never been on birth control pills, but I used to use condoms when I was especially concerned about getting pg. We just started TTC, too. Last month I think I screwed the charting up because according to what I had I should have O'd the 16th day..we DTD and nothing. But this month I bought soem ovulator kit things...I used the first one this morning(cycle day 11) and it looks like I am on track for day 13 or 14.Hopefully we will both get lucky. What Cycle day are you on?

--------------------

+Quote Post
cinegirl
post Jun 23 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

would love to revive this thread- have been charting since going off the pill in August, and this past cycle has been my first trying to get pregnant. It's been quite a rollercoaster, to say the least- I feel everything! I am totally obsessed with charting & do it online at mymonthlycharts.com.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tatiana
post May 14 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #40

BUSTie

Wow, finally found a group of women who use NFP and FAM. :-) Most people think I'm nuts if I mention it.

I was just wondering if anyone uses Ladycomp or anything similar? I don't trust myself to get it right (even though I have the Weshler book) so I've been using mine for 5 years. Sounds like most of you handchart?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 21, 2014 - 08:19 AM