The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bowels! Inflammatory disease, irritable syndrome and other delightful digestive disorders
midgemcgrath
post Jun 19 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #41

Hardcore BUSTie

ohmygosh. i spent a very long day travelling to get home from vacation yesterday, and i have the runs! what else do i have today? a job interview.

why does it always have to be like that!?!?!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
msgoofball
post Jun 16 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #42

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks midge! i have to go to the store today. i think i will try the tofutti cheese...

+Quote Post
livelyupurself
post Jun 1 2006, 05:41 AM
Post #43

Hardcore BUSTie

Arrrgh, gall bladder issues do vex me :-(

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post May 18 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #44

Hardcore BUSTie

doctor. i have to say, urethritis, you ought to get to the doc in this case. they can test you for h.pylori and give you antibiotics if that's what's causing it. or suggest something to take care of the acid and let your poor tummy heal!

+Quote Post
urethritis
post May 17 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #45

okay busties. my problem is this. first off, I have IBS but that's not the issue. the issue is my upper stomach burning like hell. I swear I have an ulcer but how can I know? It burns like all hell sometimes for hours. nothing in particular seems to trigger it but it all seemed to start at around the time I started taking probiotics for my tummy. but even when I don't take them I still get the burning. it's horrendous. any ideas???

+Quote Post
livelyupurself
post May 6 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #46

Hardcore BUSTie

I am suffering from IBS too, and I'm positive that a lot of my symptoms are stress induced. Ditto on what ris said re: xanax. I had one tonight because the stress has been out of control this past week and it is the first relief I've felt all week from the stomach cramps. I've always had a sensitive stomach and my nerves can always bring on a tummy ache. It sucks.

I'm also lactose intolerant and in need of gall bladder sugery, but don't have the medical coverage to afford it just yet. As a result, I've become very careful with my diet avoiding trigger foods. I've read to avoid fats, but I've found that sugar and refined carbs like white bread and rice are the worst triggers for me. Obviously greasy and fried foods are a no-no, but some fats like olive oil and avocado actually seem to help my troubles. Pizza, white bread of any sort and ice cream are my arch enemies.

I've never been too terribly in to milk, except for on my cereal. I don't care for soy milk unless it is mixed in a chai latte or a smoothie. I like chocolate almond milk, but I'm trying to find a good milk sub for cereal. I'm glad to hear the tofutti cream cheese and sour supreme are good. I've just been doing without because I am so damned picky. I'd rather go without certain foods than to eat something that is clearly a poor substitute, ala most soy cheeses. I will definetely have to try the tofutti slices (cause yay, they melt!) and have a yummy grilled cheese on some good, fiberrifric bread.

Has anyone ever heard of Equalactin? It's for IBS and is over the counter. I've been using it and it seems to help. It has become impossible for me to find locally, though I did manage to find a couple of boxes on clearance at a Sav-On drug store so I'm stocked up for now. I will just order some from drugstore.com when I start to run low.

Also, in response to the post by rspears on Jan. 29th (though it may be a bit late), have you been checked out by a doctor yet? Do you have frequent heartburn/reflux? It sounds like you could have a hiatal hernia. I know someone who has a very large hiatal hernia and he had symptoms just like yours. He could take a few bites and be completely full. And if he actually ate an entire meal or drank anything with his food, he would be so full and his upper abdomen would bloat up and protrude. Just a thought for ya.

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post May 5 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #47

Hardcore BUSTie

ps. soy-nog, which only comes out at x-mas is wonderful. but trust me and stay away from rice-based ice creams.

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post May 5 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #48

Hardcore BUSTie

OK!

ice cream: soy delicious. especially their gourmet type ice creams (in the smaller containers) are amazing, and the bars and ice cream sandwiches they make are all delicious!

milk: i wouldn't dare drink rice milk on its own, but i like it best for baking and cereal cause it isn't as bean-y (get fortified of course!). but for chocolate milk, silk is good (though it makes me a bit gassy), and natur-a is actually really good, it tastes like chocolate malt, and you can get it in juice box size to take along.

yogurts--actually i've pretty much liked all the yogurts! my favorite though is the so-nice soyganic peach.

cheese--okay, soy cheese is the only one they really haven't mastered yet. admittedly i haven't tried any of the ones with casein in them (seriously, why do they even make it, if i could eat casein, i'd eat real cheese), so those might taste better, and there's more flavour variety. but otherwise, the only cheese i've actually liked is the tofutti brand cheese slices. they're great for grilled cheese (it actually melts), and i'll slice it up on nachos, or basically anything, but i definately like it melted best.

cream cheese and sour cream--tofutti again. amazing stuff. great flavours of cream cheese too, like smoked salmon, garlic and chive...and you can actually use the plain cream cheese in baking too like cream cheese icing, and if you get ambitious you can use it in vegan cheesecake (made from the tofutti cream cheese and silken tofu).

well, that's all i can think of right now... if i forgot anything, let me know! oh, and just as a note, i've found some of this stuff at regular grocery stores, but for the mother load, head to your nearest healthfood store or wholefoods and they will have it all.

+Quote Post
msgoofball
post May 5 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #49

Hardcore BUSTie

i am planning on going dairy free as much as possible...please midgemcgrath..give me some suggestions. thanks!

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post May 4 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

i hear ya, shanneroo, that is my worst allergy. haven't had ANY dairy for five years. if you want advice on the best brands of soy products, i'm your gal (fyi. for cheese, my fave is tofutti--all their stuff is fab!)

+Quote Post
shanneroo
post May 2 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #51

Hey guys! I had an allergy test done, and it turns out that my problems (much like a lot of yours) turned out to be allergies. Most of my problem was caused by dairy (wah!). Anyway, I am eating soy stuff now (cheese,milk, icecream) and it wasn't as tough of a transition as I thought it would be (Although I'd never eat soy cheese plain). It's so nice being able to enjoy eating something and keeping it in the stomach more than 15 mins. Woooohoooooo!

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post May 1 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

omg, i have had the worst stomach cramps and nausea, and some D this weekend, and i think it is from the greek food i ate friday night. my SO had to get up at 4:30am to go to this outdoor race thing, and i already was having these pains, and then when i woke up later in the morning, BAM! i was not in good shape, and it's just stuck with me most of the weekend. what the heck? i actually looked the restaurant up, and it turns out that they do not have a clean health safety record either...ick (we eat there semi-regularly).

does anyone else find it hard to tell if they really have food poisoning, or if they're digestive system has just gone mysteriously haywire?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 23, 2014 - 08:47 PM