Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crash Analysis?!?!?! A Thread for Computer Problems
lananans
post Aug 4 2009, 05:33 AM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Computer batteries die on their own even without being plugged in all the time -- battery life will never be what it was when you first bought your computer one or two years down the line... same with iPods... I used to work in a computer store, and that's what the techs always told me.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Aug 3 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, it just made me wonder because this past semester I decided to bring my macbook to class and it died after less than two hours!! And my iPod doesn't have the battery life that the website says it should. All of my friends said it was bad to have my macbook plugged in all the time so that's what made me wonder about it.

+Quote Post
lananans
post Aug 3 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

That's a myth that you need to let them die completely every time. The first time that you use the device it's good to let the battery die and then charge back all the way (for whatever reason) but after that you can keep it plugged in as often as you want. I always have my laptop plugged in too... mostly just because it's easier than having to get up later and look for the powercord...

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Aug 1 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

I have a question regarding laptops, iPods and cell phones. Is it the general consensus that you should let these items lose all of their power before recharging them as opposed to say, letting them go down to half power and then recharging? I hate the idea of something dying on me because I'm trying to use up all the energy. Also, I keep my laptop plugged in like, 90% of the time. Am I killing my macbook by doing this?

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jun 21 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #5

brown delicious

I would have the same problems before too, ccg. Not sure what that was about. I would suggest you drop by your nearest Apple store if you can or ask through their online chat support.

I will say that I was superimpressed with the Apple store for repairs. I needed a new hard drive which was covered by their extended warranty. Also, they replaced the keyboard d/t reported wear and tear with the model I have. Best thing of all, it was free! I paid nothing for my visit yesterday. Even though, scheduling an appointment made it a pain to have to go to the store, I did like the personal attention and their willingness to explain what was happening to my 'puter.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jun 20 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

I've had my mac for nearly 3 years and it seems like every time I want to close a program I have to Force Quit. Does anyone else have that problem? Is there any way to fix it? Also, this is pretty bad but I have no idea how much memory my computer has or how much is currently being taken up. How can I find that out? Also, is it possible to defrag a mac?

+Quote Post
stargazer
post May 26 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #7

brown delicious

My mac went wonky last night and now will hardly reboot up. *sigh* I think I might need a new hard drive. Did I mention that I still didn't get to backing up my computer yet? Ugh.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lananans
post May 16 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

I hope your power cord is working now! My boyfriend's is broken too to a certain extent, he fixed it by taping it back together with electrical tape. Good old technology.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Apr 23 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #9

brown delicious

I should printed out your post, lananans. I went to the Apple store and the clerk sold me a battery. I had my mac with me and mentioned the power cord. She didn't want to check it out. Of course, the battery was dead because the power cord wasn't fueling it, dummy. Now, I need to go back to the Apple store and get the power cord. Damn.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lananans
post Apr 20 2009, 07:01 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Power cords always die before the actual computer. And batteries slowly deteriorate as time goes on. I work in a computer store and people always come in looking for our "Universal Power Adapters." Unfortunately, they're not actually universal, and people get upset. It sucks, I know. When I had an iBook I had to replace the cord three times. Those magnetic clips were the best idea ever. That iBook went flying across the room more times than I can count.

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Apr 16 2009, 04:37 AM
Post #11

cryostat bitch

Y'know, I'm having the same problem with my old Dell laptop, too! Thanks for bumping this thread...I didn't know it existed.

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Apr 14 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #12

brown delicious

Thanks polly and leboy! Maybe I can get those natural wear and tears on my laptop taken care of too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Apr 14 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #13

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

LeBoy says it could be either. He suggests taking it to the Apple store and have them look at it. They won't charge you just to test it, only if they have to fix it.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Apr 14 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #14

brown delicious

Thanks AP! smile.gif

I have a question for Macbook users (the nice white plastic kind). Yesterday, I noticed that after a night of my computer charging that my computer was not recharged. I thought maybe the little magnet end did not attach properly or was knocked off by kitty. I then noticed that the light on the cord was dimly light. My computer reads as the computer is connected to the power cord, but the battery is still not recharged. I can't use my mac right now without the power cord.

Does anyone think I should get a new battery? A new powercord? I've had my macbook for 2 years now.

Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Apr 14 2009, 08:12 AM
Post #15

Big Fat Bitch

Bumping the computer thread.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
battygurl
post Jun 27 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Does anyone know if you can set up a dvd player to play on your computer monitor? This is a hypothetical player and monitor, so I don't have specs, but could anyone tell me what kind of cable/outlets they would need to have, or if it's even possible?

--------------------
Tears are curious things, for like earthquakes or puppet shows they can occur at any time, without any warning, and without any good reason. --Lemony Snicket

+Quote Post
lot49
post Jun 13 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

(hi, I x-posted this in the General Knowledge Base)

Hi busties! Any experts with domain registration out there?

My domain expired, unintentionally, and I have been unable to renew it or transfer it. The current registrar's website says that expired domains cannot be renewed online through their site -- you have to call or email. Yet my emails to the company go unanswered and I haven't been able to reach them by phone (they're in Singapore and the phone just rings, even if I call during Singapore business hours).

When I tried to transfer the domain to another company, I received a message that the transfer had failed because:

"the current status of the above domain name(s) is:
REGISTRAR-LOCK, clientDeleteProhibited, clientTransferProhibited,
clientUpdateProhibited,"

The message instructed me to contact my current registrar to resolve the problem, which I have been unable to do.

Also, the current registrar's site also says that domains that have expired for more than 15 days will require a $150 fee to be reinstated. WTF?

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post May 28 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #18

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

thanks,tyger, I probably can. The boy will do it (he's techy and I trust him more!) It's just bugging me; although any excuse to procrastinate! Cannot type essay if space bar broken! Well, not without taking time... Should be easily fixed, just not this minute.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
tyger
post May 28 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

bunnyb, can you just pop your spacebar out and re-attach it properly? i don't know how to do it, but i know on lots of keyboards you can remove and re-attach keys

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post May 28 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #20

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

huh?!

The right side of my space bar is jammed. Not a happy bunny.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 16, 2014 - 05:25 AM