The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

193 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUSTing Trolls, Part Deux
Links and Trolls Poll
Do you want links disabled to ensure offensive links are posted or enable them and use the ignore/report system?
enable links and use the ignore/report system [ 43 ] ** [95.56%]
leave links disabled so the offensive links never see the light of day [ 2 ] ** [4.44%]
Total Votes: 45
Guests cannot vote 
pollystyrene
post Nov 30 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #301

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Have we ever gotten a real answer about why they can't just ban his IP?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 30 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #302

Hardcore BUSTie

I have to agree with GT. I've been here long enough that I've seen troll posts swept up in under 24 hours. It was Thanksgiving weekend in the U.S. so I just assumed that no one was here at all, after all that's how it appeared based on the incredibly slow response.

Out of all of us here, only GT (and maybe AP) has ever had the power to clean up troll posts so only she can tell us how easy or difficult it is. I don't know what kind of work goes into it or if it's just as simple as clicking a few things and that's it. He didn't even post in that many threads, how hard could it be?

As for not allowing us to post links, once again, that's only punishing us and we are the ones who have done nothing wrong.

The most infuriating part is that the solution is so SIMPLE! Seriously! How hard would it be to appoint a few busties as anonymous moderators and just let them take care of the trolls. There are so many who are willing and who have the time and who actually give a shit about this board and its users. It's ridiculous.

+Quote Post
sevenseconds
post Nov 30 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #303

Hardcore BUSTie

It was a way of "grounding us" for threatening to call the advertisers. And it does take care of the troll being an advertiser problem: what abortion pictures?

This is a very interesting premise, tho. This here, *stomps foot*, is someone's real estate. Cyberspace real estate but yeah. But on it, something has happened, a world has been built and effectively lives and creates, that is way beyond the real estate. This is The Walled City, people. So it's in effect a cyber squat situation. And some creep comes in and TP's the place regularly while the squatters are sleeping or watching youtube (with nasty toilet paper) but they don't have a key to lock him out. The building's owners don't care, don't like the squatters perhaps, perhaps just don't give a shit. But they won't give them a key. Perhaps they hope these squatters will move out and new ones will move in. Who knows how building owning works. But the question is, how do you get the people who own the building to be a little nicer to the squatters.
Is there any favors we can swap? The "I have an edgy friend, I'm cool" card is already there, apparently, but not good enough.
Or do we look for another building?

--------------------
Every story is a cup so empty it can be drunk from again and again. - MJH

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Nov 30 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #304

cryostat bitch

seriously, no links? that is complete and utter bullshit. I rarely get involved in these controversies, but no links? Meaning I can't post a link to block our troll???? You people are insane.

I am so close to being completely outta here its' not even funny. Fuck this shit.

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Nov 30 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #305

new highs in personal lows daily!

this idea that your "but it appears that our silence can be misinterpretted." is ridiculous. it's that troll posts weren't cleaned up in a timely manner. that is the issue. not links. not image posting.

you have COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT, MODSQUAD, it's not the images, it's not the links, steve is little more than a symptom of debbie's contempt for the lounge. it's the over all tone that debbie has that busties-- who love the lounge more than anyone else -- cannot be trusted to run it, and so debbie would rather run it into the ground. it is that debbie has consistently treated busties and the lounge, which if anything was women putting the ideas of bust in action, as if it were the magazine's red headed step child with leprosy. she refuses to actually let us keep things in order yet espouses feminist ideas:IT IS HER UTTER HYPOCRACY, AND MISTREATMENT OF THE LOUNGE AND BUSTIES THAT IS THE ISSUE. we can handle steve, but debbie's control issues keep us from doing it.

it's the fucking idea that debbie has completely refused to do anything but fucking put a band-aid on this problem for more than A FUCKING DECADE. instead of simply appointing busties as mods, she makes things a bit more fucked up around here. it seems debbie is really threatened by strong women, since a little support of busties in the form of mods seems to be the only thing NOT on the table.

this is the biggest shit-for-brains moronic idea i've ever heard.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
sevenseconds
post Nov 30 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #306

Hardcore BUSTie

No links does hurt.
Ouch.

Question: Is there any voting mechanism we can make use of on the Lounge software? There is something called a poll right? One two three, test. Can we take a poll, people?

--------------------
Every story is a cup so empty it can be drunk from again and again. - MJH

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Nov 30 2009, 06:36 PM
Post #307

new highs in personal lows daily!

i'm sorry, modsquad, i call bullshit.

BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT.

if we had no clue about moding this board i might buy your story, but it's utter HORSESHIT. i'm hesitant to critisize the work you do, since i assume that you volunteer, and i do know it's a rough job, but all the same, your post, is bullshit.

i moded this board and none of steve's posts lasted more than 3 hours before we had them deleted. more often than not, they were down in less than an hour. yet, posts here lasted, 4, 6, 8 hours or longer. his attacks were left to disrupt things, and nothing was done. busties, i'm sure, did most of the leg work for you as well, reporting his posts, yet they lingered, and while i see you say you worked all weekend, why were steve's posts up for so long? i'm sorry your story doesn't ring true. any bustie who's been here for a while knows steve attacks mostly on the weekends-- esp. holiday weekends. this is nothing new.

as poly pointed out, we've been dealing with this for more than 10 years, and the solution now is to ban links? are you fucking kidding me? how is this anything other than something that hurts the lounge? if i wanted to refer to something in the news, or a a pair of shoes, now, i can't post a picture, and now i can't even post a link to it?

fuck you. FUCK YOU, AND FUCK DEBBIE WITH HER FUCKING INSANE CONTROL ISSUES. 10 years of this crap, and she STILL hasn't the sense to take her head out of her ass and take a breath of fresh air. this is a death of 1000 cuts, you are kneecapping the lounge yet again. you are slowly driving away people, and slowly draining the life out of the lounge with debbie's insane control issues.

this idea that not having links will scare steve away is the height of stupidity. we tried it with image posts, and lo and behold, almost 2 years later, steve is still here. the one thing we haven't HONESTLY tried for any sustained amount of time is BUSTIE MODS. real busties, moding the lounge.

fucking let it go, debbie. what the fuck would be the worst that would happen if we had functioning mods? oh, i dunno, fewer letters, fewer headaches, a fully functional lounge where busties would be happy and could post pix and links, that flourishes? how is steve and his fucked up anti-female, anti-abortion bible thumping baiting the fucking lesser of two evils? how would a couple of busties monitoring things more of a threat that steve, who routinely creates havoc on this board to the point that we need to disable images and links?

WHAT THE FUCK COULD BUSTIE MODS DO THAT COULD EVEN COME CLOSE TO CAUSING THAT SORT OF DISRUPTION? WHAT? CALL ME CRAZY, BUT STEVE HAS ALREADY WON. NO IMGS, NO LINKS. WHAT'S NEXT? NO POSTING?

HONESTLY? FUCK YOU, YOUR POST, MODSQUAD, INSULTS OUR INTELLIGENCE. FUCK YOU.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Nov 30 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #308

It's Calamity Jenn

Post minimums would go a long way in curbing some of the problem, certainly.
Another thing: how about a minimum amount of time before one can post links and start new threads? 3 months, maybe? I think having both of these restrictions would be ideal, and they don't smack of censorship, either, so that's no issue. And since bridge dude gets his accounts deleted weekly, he would never be able to post links or start new threads. Damn, that would take away a lot of his fun!
I'm a member on another forum that has these restrictions in place, and the troll activity is zilch. The nature of that forum isn't one that can stir up emotions quite as much as that of the Lounge, but still.
I still think that having a couple of reputable Busties (who can spare the time) moderate on the weekends would be great.

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. — Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Nov 30 2009, 05:14 PM
Post #309

Furthermore, him posting a link is like the least offensive/disruptive thing he does; it's the tip of the iceberg. The huge posts that copy and paste parts of the bible, starting threads and impersonating established members is what is really annoying.

Is there any discussion about increasing the minimum number of posts before you can start a thread? Any discussion about giving a couple of members the ANONYMOUS ability to delete his posts ourselves?

How is punishing us fair?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Nov 30 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #310

Sorry for the shoot from the hip reaction, ModSquad- I appreciate all the work you did do in the past few days- but no links, no pictures, still a troll problem....why am I here?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ModSquad
post Nov 30 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #311

BUSTie

Dearest Ladies Who Lounge,
We are terribly sorry that this troll keeps posting offensive links in the message board. I understand how upsetting these links can be and how frustrating it is that this troll keeps coming back. I wish there was a simple fix to get rid of them forever but sadly, it is actually physically impossible in the wild world of the internet to completely ban anyone from anything. The more we try to ban the trolls the more they want to get around the restrictions.

I worked every day of my Thanksgiving vacation to delete the spam posts and block his various names, IP address and emails. During the week, we have 3 interns in the office every day who are responsible for monitoring the lounge.

However, even if I were to monitor the lounge every second of my free time it would still be impossible to completely block the trolls. We purchased this lounge software specifically because it allows each member to block any troll who’s posts they don’t want to see. Since that was not enough we are now regularly banning and deleting these posts ourselves. This means the troll gets the attention he craves and creates a new name/email/IP and comes back validated and motivated, instead of giving up because he was ignored. It also means that the feature to block troll posts is virtually useless as we are forcing the troll to come back each time with a different username.

In general, we prefer not to post at all about troll-related issues here as we feel that this, too, only gives a troll more of the type of attention that he feeds on, but it appears that our silence can be misinterpretted. So, as to the issue of the links: While there is always the option NOT to click on links that are posted, we understand that it is very upsetting to many of you that disagreeable links are being posted on the lounge. Therefore, we have disabled link posting for the time being. We hope that resolves the issue to everyone’s satisfaction. We are also open to suggestions about other types of restrictions, please pm them to modsquad. Keep in mind that the only sure way to get rid of the troll would be to get rid of the lounge which is something none of us want to see happen. Thanks for your patience through all this and lets hope disabling links does the trick!

xoxo,
Callie Watts
the hall monitor

--------------------
They're young...they're hip....and now they're the law.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Nov 30 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #312

I think that's an excellent idea, chacha.

So excellent, that here's links to the companies whose ads I see (I use work-safe, so I'm not sure if they're the same as the regular skin.)

Sublime Stitching

FluffyCo

BG2770 Design

ReleaseChimps.org

Hopeful Monsters Apparel (email address hidden down at the bottom)

A Blank Expression

Fringe Salon

Kim & Maki Jewelry

John Fluevog

Colette Patterns

Kiku Handmade

All Pop

Fat Chance Belly Dance

Kathy Van Kleeck Jewelry (Click on her name for email link)

Fitness for Indie Rockers

Modern Tribe

The Sisters Ruehl (click "Contact Us" down at the bottom- no direct link to this page of their website)

Casa Cabrones

DM Color

Frock Boutique

Hats Off Brooklyn

Organic Earrings

Danger Crafts (must sign into etsy, then click "Contact Danger Crafts")

Anomaly Jewelry

OrangyPorangy

Stubborn Jewelry

Modern Minx

Christmas TV Companion (click on "Contact")

Wallflower Vintage

Cool East Market

Baublettes

Broken Cherry

Sexy T's (NSFW, so I didn't go any further into the site)

Pleasure Galaxie (also NSFW)

I hit "refresh" about a billion times to get all those...can someone else create a form letter to send to them?

--------------------

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 30 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #313

Hardcore BUSTie

rogue, I can see what you mean about this being a free board and therefore Bust not caring about it. However, they care enough about money to have advertisements. There was quite a hubbub when (I think it was last year) they decided to add the extra square of advertisements that sits right above all the posts. So in that way, it's kind of like television. Watching television is free but they need to have advertisements to keep it afloat. However, if no one is watching (or in this case, clicking) then they have to change it somehow to get people coming back.

Basically, chacha is right.

+Quote Post
rogue
post Nov 30 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #314

Hardcore BUSTie

I think it's more an issue about TPTB, too, jsmith, not about Trolls McGee himself. It's sad, really, that TPTB don't seem very into serving their "clientelle", but as a non-paying membership website, maybe that's the issue here? I don't know, that just popped into my head. That because this is a free board they just don't monitor it as well as they should. We aren't paying customers so why bother? I've always found that to get the best I have to pay for the best. Sucks, but that's what happens in a world ruled by the almighty dollar.

--------------------
Vixi liber et moriar.

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Nov 30 2009, 08:08 AM
Post #315

It's Calamity Jenn

I'm not sure it's all about the troll, though. I think a lot of it is simply the idea that Busties are pretty much being used for various reasons by those in charge (ie, article ideas), yet they don't want to take reasonable steps to eliminate the chronic gas-pain known as steve.
Chachaheels, that's a good idea, too. Definitely something to chew on.

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. — Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
rogue
post Nov 30 2009, 07:34 AM
Post #316

Hardcore BUSTie

I just wanted to say that I hope no one leaves because of this. I missed this entire conversation this weekend because I'm not usually chained to a computer on the weekends as I am on the weekdays at work, but I still check in when I can. I just don't know what a solution to this would be. Personally, I just ignore him every time he shows up and I never, ever read what he's posted. If he posts a new thread I ignore that too. I definitely understand what you're all saying though - that it should be stopped and I defintiely agree with having an anonymous mod who could take care of it instead of TPTB because they really aren't doing a good job of taking care of this space at all.

I just don't let these kinds of people get me down. If someone has a different opinion than me, that's fine. Trolly-von-troll is allowed to think whatever he wants but his opinions aren't going to stop me from thinking what I want. I believe in a woman's right to choose and if stuck in an unwanted pregnancy I would have an abortion and would never, ever feel guilty about it. But that's just me. It's just the way I am. No troll is going to change my mind, no way, no matter how many fake dead baby photos he posts. I don't know. I guess that's just my two cents. I think everything that has been said here are all good ideas, I just don't want to see the Lounge disappear because of him. I was trying to post something on CCG's Facebook post this morning (but FB was being stupid and wouldn't let me) and it was something along the lines of how much it sucks to have him here because I feel that the Lounge is a safe haven or sacred space of sorts, and I don't like the intrusion. But I just ignore and I find that works best, but I can see how others would be extremely irritated by everything.

--------------------
Vixi liber et moriar.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 30 2009, 05:40 AM
Post #317

Hardcore BUSTie

Know what I think would work a little miracle?

Writing to ALL the advertisers on this board--all of them. Telling them their ads are appearing regularly on a BB which does not block trolls from posting anti-abortion photos and propaganda regularly. Telling all the advertisers that they have to be aware that their work will be associated with a forum for the dissemination of that kind of material, and asking them if they truly want to pay to be associated with a medium which promotes misogyny this way.

If you tell an advertiser you won't buy from them until they demand Bust's ptb eliminate all such trolling material, chances are excellent you'll got not only top notch, fully supported moderators here, but you'll get them fast.

TPTB may not value what we are, but let me tell you, the businesses advertising here for our dollars do. They can buy ad space anywhere, and I bet they'll think their ads will look better on a site where they don't have to be featured alongside of Steve.

Brokencherry.com
baublettes.com
fringe.com....etc. etc. etc. They're all here, popping up regularly over all the troll posts which would be so easy to eliminate and erase but rarely are.

It's easy enough to get in touch with them, tell them how they look here next to the bloody fetuses that all the women here want removed, but none of the PTB see fit to remove. Ask them why they think spending their advertising dollars here is still a good idea, after that. Get them to confront TPTB and ask them why they are allowing this kind of material to proliferate on a site they were sold as a good space to feature their ads.

Money talks. If advertisers can't believe the way they're being seen here, they won't advertise here--until they can be sure they won't be associated with what the trolls post here regularly.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 29 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #318

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(jsmith @ Nov 30 2009, 01:10 AM) *
I was going to suggest that, maybe someone could check in here daily/weekly/whatever (I wouldn't say no to being that someone) and direct them to the new spot.
If TPTB at Bust want the lounge in order to get ideas for articles, I doubt they would shut it down. Hopefully they would see the sudden absence of posters and decide to be a little more reasonable.

J, that's something that really bugs me about Bust and the Lounge. They know that they can come here for new story ideas and I'm sure they do. Heck, a lot of busties even post about what kind of people they would like to see on the cover. Another time they even started a thread called "tell us what busty means", which was annoying because a) they apparently can't figure it out themselves, and b ) they couldn't even bother to spell it "bustie" which is how most of us spell it.

Anyone with an ounce of marketing sense knows that you have to treat your customers right. You want people to come back to the lounge repeatedly so that they'll see your ad? Then show us some respect. Same goes for selling magazines. They have to give the people what they want otherwise the people will move on to something that actually satisfies their wants.

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Nov 29 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #319

It's Calamity Jenn

Still casting. He has nothing relevant or even fresh to say.

/trollbaiting

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Nov 29 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #320

It's Calamity Jenn

You're casting around for something to say here, and it's obvious. Do you mind telling me what exactly you're referring to?

--------------------

+Quote Post

193 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 1, 2014 - 06:01 AM