The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This is a thread about class envy. The Haves vs. the Have nots
hummingbird
post Jun 22 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

nohope, may the goddess bless you for those links.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nohope
post Jun 22 2006, 05:15 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Stopping Violence Against Women: Eve Ensler and Kimberle Crenshaw on V-Day, Women in Prisons and Breaking the Silence

read
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/21/142227

listen
http://ia300202.us.archive.org/1/items/dn2006-0621/dn2006-0621-1_64kb.mp3

+Quote Post
erinjane
post Jun 15 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

So I'm not sure if I should move this to the race discussion, but I'll clarify a bit. I know what it is, but it's such a complicated issue with so much controversy that I have trouble figuring out if it's a positive or negative thing. I've heard that it doesn't do much for people really, and I've heard it's a wonderful thing.

The woman who talked to our class explained it well. We were all under the impression that it wasn't that useful at this point, but the way she explained it shed a lot of light. I can't even remembe who it was that talked to us otherwise I'd try and find her Uni email address to contact her.

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl

+Quote Post
erinjane
post Jun 15 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh geez, you're right. Now I see it, right there at the top. I thought I was looking at it just a couple of days ago too, heh, i must be tired.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hummingbird
post Jun 15 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

erinjane, the white privilege thread has not been eaten, trust me. i've had my most interesting bust discussions in that thread thus far, seeing as i am still a newbie.

But, let's start it off like this, affirmative action is a set of programs designed to even the playing field for women and people of color. The system that we live under is inherently racist, sexist, classist, etc. for hundreds of years. Affirmative Action is a means of correcting that, by ensuring that this institution should have at least this many number of Black folks, Latin folks, Asian folks, women etc. Or that this many contracts should go to this many companies run by people of color or women. The most qualified folks, not just because your a woman or because your black, but because you are qualified and there are still many road blocks based on your sex or ethnicity.

+Quote Post
erinjane
post Jun 15 2006, 10:41 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

I wanted to put this in the white privilege thread, but it's been eaten, but I think it's relevent in here as well.

Can anyone explain affirmative action to me clearly? A woman came to my feminist theory class a few months ago and explained it really well in an easy to understand way, but I just can't seem to get it clear in my head. I tried wikipedia, but it's all so technical and doesn't really help me wrap my head around it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Apr 23 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Speaking about what class a person belongs to, is anyone familiar with Ruby Payne? She tends to be very popular amoung educators - she speaks about the different classes although primarily lower class to help educators gain insight to what kind of family backgrounds their students may be from. Sorry, don't have a link of her's to post, but you can google her.

+Quote Post
atarrill
post Apr 23 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Oprah's show last Friday was about "class" and a big part of it was "how can you tell what class someone is?" I thought that the replies basically showed that people judge class on very basic things and probably are wrong 50% of the time. The judgments were based on: accent, clothing, what car you drive, etc. Things that can be viewed "on the fly", rather than more permanent things like the neighborhood you live in, the education you have, the work you do, the way you choose to spend money.

If you make class = affluence (money), then anyone with wealth is upper middle or upper class. I usually think of class designations as also involving more about cultural and moral values and education and where one's ancestors came from and that sort of thing. I think there are a lot of different distinctions of class even within the larger class ranks. Like, people with a few generations of wealth who don't believe in showing off and do public service are thought of differently within their class by those who make a show of money, big houses, and throwing their influence around to get what they want and damn the rest.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 19, 2014 - 10:27 PM