Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Tomato Sauce for Your Ass" ... THE SOPRANOS
candycane_girl
post Jun 18 2007, 09:20 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Lol, nickclick, I was just going to mention the catholic thing too! I was listening to the oldies station this morning and one of the hosts said the same thing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jun 18 2007, 07:13 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

my mom thought it was some kinda catholic reference, like they were eating the onion rings like communion wafers. but this weekend mr.nick's brother said he's been to that place, and that's the traditional way to eat them or something.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jun 16 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Mmmm, Journey and garlic.

Was anyone else weirded out by the way they were eating onion rings? Just popping the entire thing into their mouths, no attempt to take small bites.

Am I the only person that tries not to shove entire onion rings into my mouth?

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 15 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #4

new highs in personal lows daily!

hey! no badmouthing jouney OR garlic!

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jun 15 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

seriously! that song's the worst. it's like eating a giant chicken parm sub and trying to fuggetaboutit, but you can't because you're burping garlic all week.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jun 12 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

I read about the Nikki Leotardo theory but I also read that the credits don't list the actor who played Nikki earlier as part of the episode's cast, nor do they list the character as being part of the episode. As nice as it would have been to have a series of clues about potential outcomes, I'm afraid that theory's been debunked.

There is something about the idea that Tony is able to regroup, with his family, at the end of the show. At some point, each of them "left"--Carmela flirted with the idea of an affair, and then a divorce; Meadow left the family for school and contemplated going overseas to study, or moving to the West Coast with Finn; and AJ tried to suicide. And at the end, Tony waits for each one to "come home", as they come into the diner one by one. Remember his big concerns about the duck and her ducklings? Even though he drained the pool (ultimately, a chlorine laden brine is no place for a duck to raise her ducklings--plus, there's nothing to eat there, they'd all starve), everyone who matters manages to find him again, no matter what has separated them or taken place before.

I kinda like that Chase didn't play into his audience's predictions, didn't wrap things up nicely, and simply forced us to stop watching the story the moment it was resolved. I think he hit us over the head a bit with Journey and "Don't Stop! Believing!" but I think that's because of his sense of humour is a little dusky.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jun 12 2007, 09:28 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Y'know, what I like is the fact that this ending has us all talking! It almost seems like Chase did it so that he would have this result, all of the fans talking, speculating, developing theories.

Sassy, the Kevin Finnerty dreams were in the first part of season 6.

Zoya, I think the episode where the guys try to hit Tony was the second last episode of season 1. I like the theory that your friend sent to you but I just don't know what to think! I think David Chase is just saying that he wasn't trying to mess with us but deep down, he really was.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jun 12 2007, 07:06 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

this interview with david chase debunks that theory in the last graph, and a few others.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 12 2007, 03:16 AM
Post #9

that's a great theory, z, but the snotty brat in me screams, "goddamnit, of all the labored explinations!" but fuck me, it makes sense. plus, even durring the viewing, i thought the shots of the people in the diner were a bit...odd. the camera lingered on them, giving them slo-mo as if they meant something. the speed changes in the sequence really added to the tension...hmmm...

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
zoya
post Jun 12 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #10

uh huh.

**de-lurks**

A friend forwarded this to me today, it was from a friend of a friend and it's his theory - I think it's a pretty damn good one....

"So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the brothas at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just as we have to say goodbye, so does he."

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jun 11 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #11

sassygrrl

I may have to rewatch it.

+Quote Post
sidecar
post Jun 11 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #12

Queen of the underground

I actually liked it quite a lot. I thought it was in keeping with the spirit of the show, and really, what I liked about it is that for Tony, every action, no matter how mundane, even eating onion rings with his family, is filled with dread -- either someone's going to hurt him or he's going to be taken away. It's a prison of his own making, but a prison nonetheless. Watching it a second time helped.

I think it would've been cheap if he'd been killed and cheaper still if he'd been arrested. It's not closure, but I far preferred the tense build to the sudden stop than Agent Harris hauling him off or Members Only shooting him in the head.

I also thought my cable broke. But like I said, I was far more taken with the ending when I rewatched it.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jun 11 2007, 08:05 PM
Post #13

sassygrrl

I wish I had a DVR. I'm sure I wasn't the only person that thought my cable went out. Mcgeek and I had recently (as of Saturday night actually) been fighting with Comcast LOL.

I don't think Tony was in the last frame. Meadow was.

I'm still having mixed feelings about the ending. I didn't hate it. Oh, I loved that Paulie little comic relief with the cat. smile.gif

Was the Kevin Finnerty dreams in Season 6 or Season 5?

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 11 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #14

was tony in the last frame? i don't think he was, but more than that, the most likely gunman was heading to the restroom the last shot we see him. now, if he was walking towards tony, that might be something but as it was shot, the silence theory is empty. add nickclicks point that the show was rarely shot in first person.

but i have to dispute your assertion that hitch created suspense for a pay off. he was equally known for his mcguffin-- another name for his red herrings. and i thought the end was plenty suspenseful dispite the lack of payoff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jun 11 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Jun 11 2007, 12:08 PM) *
The leaving it open is one theory I've been seeing. The other I've been seeing is that that dead silence relates to something that one of the characters (I think it was either Tony or Paulie, really can't remember) said about how you never hear the gunshot that's meant for you.

that was my bf's first thought, that the silence meant he was shot. but i dunno, the show's never been told from the 1st person before. tony's the main character, but plenty of stuff has gone on without his knowledge.

thanks mermaid!

+Quote Post
mermaidgirl13
post Jun 11 2007, 10:18 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

The diner's in Bloomfield, NickClick.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jun 11 2007, 09:51 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

I think a lot of people thought that their cable went out, lol.

I've been hearing over and over that they left the ending open on purpose, in case they ever want to bring it back. Personally, I think it would be terrible to bring The Sopranos back. They had a good run, it should be left alone.

The leaving it open is one theory I've been seeing. The other I've been seeing is that that dead silence relates to something that one of the characters (I think it was either Tony or Paulie, really can't remember) said about how you never hear the gunshot that's meant for you.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jun 11 2007, 09:04 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

oh, and journey????? don't stop believin'? wha? if it was ironic, which i'm guessing was the intention, i didn't get it.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jun 11 2007, 09:00 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

i wasn't expecting a traditional ending. but i didn't like this choose-your-own adventure ending either. it was a cop out, like chase couldn't decide how to end it, so he left it open to interpretation or guesses. that's all we've been doing these past few weeks is guessing! i wanted some sort of resolution. it was like a dirty trick, a bad practical joke, and a lame hitchcock ripoff. at least hitchcock created suspense for a payoff.

my mom actually went switching around the channels, thinking her cable went out.

i am on the search for that diner, though! when i've had the onion rings, i'll letcha know.

+Quote Post
jemisoutrageous
post Jun 11 2007, 06:21 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(mandolyn @ Jun 11 2007, 03:22 AM) *
fuck you, david chase. i thought it was evil incarnate when you made us wait a year and a half between seasons. (and dark, dead, BORING seasons - compared to previous years - to boot.) but THIS is the cherry on the top. you cheated us, you dishonored the characters. lame asshole. i'm not even sure i care now if there is a movie.

total.crap.ending. the asstwat writers from lost could've done better.

i think i would've rathered tony wake up in some regular old ho-hum suburban split-ranch, realizing he's truly kevin finnerty.

That's what I'm screaming, Mando. FUCK HIM. After 8 years of audience loyalty he took a shit all over us and I hate him.

--------------------
Oh, Magoo---you've done it again!

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 15, 2014 - 10:45 PM