27 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Tread Softly Because You Tread Upon My Dream[Shoes]s": The Footwear Thread
mouse
post Jun 3 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #481

Most Likely Procrastinating

ah heels....
luci, i'm exactly the same. i love em, but i have so much trouble wearing them. i got an amazing pair of old gold lame pumps from a former roommate and every time i go out i'm all "i'm so gonna wear these tonight" and get outside, walk a block, and immediately walk back home and put on my flats. *pout* i have a really low heeled pair of sandals that have a chunky heel i can do fine, but even tho the gold ones are pretty low, they're skinny.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to "teach" yourself how to wear heels? any good starting heels? i feel like it's really something i should be able to do!

eta: mornington, good advice!

--------------------
jam out with your clam out
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
citrussss
post Jun 3 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #482

BUSTie

actually Modegirl, They're comfier than they look. I've spent a few nights out clubbing with them, of course the steady stream of vodka shots helps take some of the pressure off as well. ;)

On the topic of polishable comfy leather shoes, I usually but Dunham dress shoes, they use the sole and technology from New Balance runners but look like a dress shoe. They are amazingly comfortable, and I'm talking during double serving shifts. They really are fantastic, though a tad fashionless...

I am surprised to read how much you all spend on shoes, maybe I'm cheaper than I thought! The most I have ever spent on shoes is $200, and it was for leather boots. I have no idea what a $680 even feels like. Are they easier on your feet? Does it actually make a difference? mmmm, I'm imagining walking on butter...and now I'm grossed out...but anyway, do tell, do tell!

+Quote Post
tyger
post Jun 3 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #483

Hardcore BUSTie

diva, i think it has more to do with stability. as soon as you're on your heels at all (like, taking a step) a chunkier heels gives more stability. in my experience, in any case.

today i discovered shoe warehouse. i always thought it was like payless (crappy in-house brand which was worth what you pay), but it turns out they have good shoes, as well as crappy in-house brands. i got a pair of nikes for 25 cnd (i know, nike is evil and has sweatshops, but once a year i buy one pair, 'cause they're the only runner that comfily accomodates my wide, high-instepped feet), and a pair of clark's walking shoes for 70, which i needed for my new job (i needed black, polishable shoes, and i didn't think my wicked witch pointy-toed ankle boots would work, for some reason). the clarks aren't really gorgeous (or even cool-looking), but are supercomftacular

+Quote Post
divalla
post Jun 2 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #484

Hardcore BUSTie

Modegirl, Neiman Marcus, Marshall Field's, and probably Bergdorf-Goodman will be having their big semi-annual clearances at the end of this month or sometime next month. I'm all about the really expensive designer stuff (my most expensive pair retails for $680, and I got them for $250), but only buy on clearance. They'll usually go 50% off or more.

Is there some reason why chunkier heels are supposed to be more comforable than the skinny kind? They both feel the same to me because all my weight is on the balls of my feet. Am I standing wrong or something?

+Quote Post
modegirl
post Jun 2 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #485

BUSTie

very cute citruss, are they comfy? (hehe, as comfy as a spiky little heel lets you be).

i keep looking for a ponyhair shoe sale in the shoe brands that are comfy for me. unfortunately, i spoil myself, and covet only very expensive brands. therefore, i hold out (and therefore, also, i control my spending, because i cannot afford!!!) (we're talking $400-600 price range retail - but will only buy if under $200 for non-daily basic shoes)

+Quote Post
citrussss
post Jun 2 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #486

BUSTie

oh crap, here are the real darlings

+Quote Post
citrussss
post Jun 2 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #487

BUSTie

I heart high heels. I'm at the point where I can jog in 3 inches but I was sprinting in mile high platforms in high school.

Here's a wee peek at the fake horse hair darlings
i picked up the the nine west outlet.

It was love at first sight, *sigh*

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jun 2 2006, 03:45 AM
Post #488

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

It's the platform that tends to get me into trouble, oddly. My highest heels are 4", but I find anything that's over an inch has to be closed-heel, otherwise I can't get it to stay on my foot. I do heart my stiletto heels though - I have two pairs, pointy-toed and they scream secretary slut... in a shiny, italian-leather way.

luci... my mother taught me to walk in heels when I was a bridesmaid, and I wore a heel of some sort every day for three years. I find the trick is to start small, and work upwards... kitten heels to start... and then whomp, you're running down the street in 3.5 inch spikes (I think it runs in the family... my nana could run on cobbles in four inch stilettos). And strong calf muscles will help!

+Quote Post
misspissed
post Jun 1 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #489

Hardcore BUSTie

well, in the case of those shoes in particular, there is a 1" platform, so you are walking on 4 inch heels.

all my heels are generally platforms or wedges. i have no problem with thicker heels, but
i can't walk in stiletto heels w/o a platform. i don't know how some women do it!
for instance, i have NO idea how someone can walk in these.
but i've got no problems walking in these... (i own a pair of those shoes and have done burlesque acts wearing them)

+Quote Post
misspissed
post Jun 1 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #490

Hardcore BUSTie

wtf? why do i keep double posting?

+Quote Post
lucizoe
post Jun 1 2006, 05:22 PM
Post #491

Mr. Flibble's very cross.

mornington, how about in a sedan chair, decorated with matching polka dots?

I agree - they're cute...but may I ask, how does one walk in such things? I have a pair of 3.5" heels and I can barely move. Is there a trick I missed out on growing up? Or is it truly all in the balls of the feet? My calves are strong...but I don't know..

*pouts because I love high high heels but cannot wear them*

+Quote Post
misspissed
post Jun 1 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #492

Hardcore BUSTie

they are so adorable...even nicer in person.
i would get them, but i am having a dilemma about spending that much money on shoes i can't wear to work!

(i tend to justify big purchases on a cost per wear calculation -- i will spend $200 on a coat or handbag i will use every day..)

+Quote Post
misspissed
post Jun 1 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #493

Hardcore BUSTie

so nice i posted twice!

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jun 1 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #494

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

They're lovely! I couldn't walk in them either... I'd have to either just stand there, or be carried everywhere (now there's a plan)

bunny... I love the flower!

+Quote Post
divalla
post Jun 1 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #495

Hardcore BUSTie

Those shoes are so cute, Misspissed! I'd totally buy them if I thought I had a chance of being able to walk in them. Sadly, my limit is about 3.5 inches.

+Quote Post
misspissed
post Jun 1 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #496

Hardcore BUSTie

totally coveting these shoes:
adorable!

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post May 31 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #497

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

I am an Irregular Choice whore (although I haven't bought any for quite a while - topshop ballet flats in numerous colours are my current faves) and I still mourn a pair of turtle-toed denim flats with flower on them. Sigh :-(. I still have them but they are worn and let in water; I keep them in the hope that one day I find a shoe-maker who will duplicate them for me!

I find myself recently buying clothes to match my shoes ... shouldn't it be the other way round?!

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
modegirl
post May 31 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #498

BUSTie

bunnyb
i love the irregular choice scoop in the front heel shape - i have the CanCan boot in black which i substitute ribbons for. unfortunately they are not the highest quality shoe- but they are comfy and super stylish. they seem to have the lower heel (though i think the Cancan looks like a kitten heel but Zappos where i go tthem says the heel is 3"???!)

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post May 30 2006, 04:33 AM
Post #499

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

Ooh mornington - I love the shoes! The Wizard of Oz ones remind me of a pair in Office that I really wanted. My Oz shoes are flat as I just can't do heels anymore. Saying that, I am coveting these:

Irregular Choice heels

eta: okay, the direct link doesn't work but it's the first female Irregular Choice shoe, it's named Antique Rose and is simply divine. Also check out Rocketdog Sandy, Sarah and Sigrid- they are all so pretty!

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
margot
post May 28 2006, 08:43 AM
Post #500

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh, I looooove red shoes!
Voodoo princess, which ones have you bought?
And yes, they are cheaper here, but I don't like to gloat!

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 20, 2014 - 08:36 PM