Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Death: The Final Stage of Growth
auralpoison
post Mar 31 2010, 02:49 AM
Post #1

Big Fat Bitch

Dutch prisoners are contacting the dead.

Mr. Van bree " . . . has claimed that by talking to both the prisoner and the prisoner's dead parents he can discover key psychological insights to help the prison authorities rehabilitate criminals." Reeeeeaaaaally?

Huh. I wonder if this guy can put me in touch with somebody that can help me find all the shit I can't find in this mausoleum . . .

And from the HuffPo, ancient Egyptian Door To the Afterlife discovered.

Funerary mix up! D'oh!

When my mom passed, I asked that they leave some of her aside so I could bottle her for family like we did with me da. So I got a baggie of her. I poked it a bit & felt something hard. At first I was disturbed & wanted to know WTF kind of operation the funeral home was running. When I dug it out, I realised it was one of the pins & a plate from when she had her arm rebuilt. I keep it on my keychain as a morbid reminder.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
anarch
post Mar 12 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for the link. I love this bit: Pea aphids, for instance, when threatened by a lady bug can explode themselves, scattering and protecting their brethren and sometimes even killing the lady bug.

I hate aphids, but I gotta give them some respect for that awesome ability.

It makes sense to me that your cat would have reacted that way. Most of the cats I know have complex social bonds and understandings with other cats.

Off to see if I can find video of exploding pea aphids...

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Mar 11 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #3

Big Fat Bitch

I read this & thought it was interesting in light of the fact that I do think my one cat did this last summer. Animal suicide behaviour. There was nothing wrong with Y, I think he just died of a broken heart at losing his best friend.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 26 2008, 01:51 AM
Post #4

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Interesting video about green burial.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Apr 3 2008, 06:39 AM
Post #5

(o)(o)

AP, the last line was great. Although, I don't think you'd be the "life" of the party. I couldn't resist that one. I'm picturing you, as I imagine you look like, in a hawaiian shirt, and it's making me chuckle.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Apr 2 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #6

Big Fat Bitch

((((((Rainarana)))))) I bumped a thread for ya. That "Death of a Loved One" thread saved my bacon a few months ago. This thread was intended more for the morbid than the grieving.

Word, CH! I've made an appointment to talk to a lawyer about my will since I now have more than my usual meager assets. I am putting aside X number of dollars for my "shuffling off this mortal coil" todo. I want BBQ, music, more music, & a top shelf bar. I want to be propped up in a chair with a 'tini in hand while my body wears a particularly garish Hawaiian shirt. I'd like a funeral pyre, but that's a bit over the top.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Apr 2 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Wow. Just by looking at the after-death pictures you can tell who was accepting of death and who wasn't.

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Apr 2 2008, 06:24 AM
Post #8

(o)(o)

On a different note, I've decided that not only do I want to be pitched in the ground and a tree planted in my memory when I die, I also want one tree planted for every year that I have lived. I will leave money specifically for this in my will. I don't want a big sob fest, I want a party when I go!

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Apr 1 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #9

Big Fat Bitch

I bumped the "Death of a Loved One" thread in F&F for those who need it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
erinjane
post Apr 1 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Wow, those really were amazing.

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Apr 1 2008, 12:56 PM
Post #11

(o)(o)

polly, that is really interesting! Wow.

((((rainarana))))

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Apr 1 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #12

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

A German photographer took pictures of people shortly before they died and then soon after. They're pretty amazing:

Life Before Death

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
tesao
post Feb 29 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #13

olha, que coisa mais linda.....

((((((((rainarana)))))))

i'm so very sorry for you, querida. losing a father is so very very hard. i'm glad that you were able to get home fairly quickly.

how are you feeling now?

your descriptions resonate with me. it was a punch in the gut. maybe a series of them, in my/our case, because the diagnosis was one big punch, then there was hope from the chemo, and then there was a punch when the chemo failed, and now there is that huge loss, especially for my sister and her day to day life.

you're right about "connecting", too. i've been feeling "adrift". it helps to skype with my sister and my husband, but i'm very physical and i really need to hug and touch them.

i've planned to return to the USA in late april, when my neiceoid elle has her baybee, so i felt that i couldn't fly there now, so close to the april date.

i've never seen my sister this vulnerable. it's sort of spooky.

+Quote Post
rainarana
post Feb 27 2008, 04:09 AM
Post #14

BUSTie

Hey Tes, I'm so very sorry. My father died unexpectedly two weeks ago. It was like a punch in the gut. I hope your sister can find what she needs to give her strength. This was on the memorial card. My father never would have wanted us to mourn for too long. The service was about talking about his life and remembering him being happy. This helped. Being so far away is the worst though. I flew back to the states from the NL two days after I got the news but until I got back home it was really difficult to connect to what was happening. Is it possible for you to get back to your family in the near future? This helps so much.

Indian Prayer

When I am dead
Cry for me a little
Think of me sometimes
But not too much.
Think of me now and again
As I was in life
At some moments it's pleasant to recall
But not for long.
Leave me in peace
And I shall leave you in peace
And while you live
Let your thoughts be with the living.

+Quote Post
faerietails2
post Feb 25 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #15

donut-lovin' heathen

((((tes)))) I'm so sorry. That's intense.

--------------------

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Feb 25 2008, 08:05 AM
Post #16

(o)(o)

That is so quick for someone. As you said, at least he is no longer in pain and was able to die in a place that he loves, and surround by those he loved and who loved him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tesao
post Feb 25 2008, 07:52 AM
Post #17

olha, que coisa mais linda.....

thanks, everyone. my sister is as well as you would expect. she's exhausted and torn. she's also numb, which i think is good for her right now. she is still surrounded by friends and she has her kitties. the fact that mamae is there and that she needs to look after her will help her, too.

it is good, on the one hand, to know that the falcon is no longer in pain and was able to die how he wished.

but death is for the dead. the living have to keep going about it, and i admit that i'm worried about that. he was her support, her rock, her anchor, what kept her strong and tethered to the earth. she is vulnerable and scared, and i don't know how to help with that. what do you do when your life mate is torn from you?

here's another bit that someone posted on the website:

When the night has been too lonely
and the road has been to long,
and you think that love is only
for the lucky and the strong,
just remember in the winter
far beneath the bitter snows
lies the seed that with the sun's love
in the spring becomes the rose.

~Bette Midler~

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Feb 24 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #18

Big Fat Bitch

(((((((((((Tesao))))))))))))))) Sorry, babe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
starship
post Feb 24 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

wow, that poem was so simple yet so beautiful tesao. I jotted it down for the future too. I hope you're bearing up ok, and all your family too. x

+Quote Post
erinjane
post Feb 24 2008, 02:49 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

(((tesao)))

The poems really were both beautiful, enough that I copied them down into my journals. I'm glad that it sounds like your sister and bil were able to make the most of the time they had left together. They sound like amazing folks.

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 29, 2014 - 06:52 AM