Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

21 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> She's Crafty...the Revenge
crinoline
post Jan 29 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #81

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks y'all! lol, my baby cousin (age 5) is always coming over wanting to make "tiny food" just like me! We use play doh or crayola magic for his, though!

I love your monkey, pepper! Especially his nose and bellybutton. I also really like your "photo ornaments" what great gift ideas!

pants- the baby sweater will be gorgeous! What a lucky baby! Good luck on the afghan!!

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pants
post Jan 28 2010, 05:33 AM
Post #82

Hardcore BUSTie

that monkey is adorable! so are all of crinolines little baubles, totally cute.

I'm finishing up a baby sweater right now, the one on the cover of this magazine, in fact. Except just with one colorway from Manos (a nice rusty colour way since my pregnant friend is not a pastel fan). Then I need to sort out a new scarf and hat for myself and THEN the afghan will begin. I'm sort of dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time. It's definitely the mosy ambitious project I've ever taken on, but I have faith in myself, at least right now I do. I'll probably start crying by the third row, but life requires challenges! Plus all that yarn cost ALOT so I can't give up on it smile.gif

--------------------
I am not a reliable narrator
This is a place where I talk about other stuff, and try to make it interesting.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Jan 27 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #83

My finger is as good as new, yay! Mind blowing, just unreal that it's entirely better. Wow.

Holy Maude that afghan is incredible! *wants* Wish I had more patience for/was better at the yarnery. Maybe some day...

Crin, such cute nums! Please to be making some more now. I think those are wonderful.

Ok, here are my latest thingies. Excuse my terrible photography skills please, I can't be good at everything I'm afraid!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftylittlemonkey/

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Jan 26 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #84

Hardcore BUSTie

wow, that throw looks amazing / incredibly time consuming! Cool project!

I've been getting into embroidery lately, just a few tea towels and such, but it's so much fun!
snow- I'm with pepper on the multimedia suggestion, it would be a great way to stretch your embroidery and display your many talents at the same time!

I've also been making alot of tiny charms and such from polymer clay, a medium I was really into for a while and then forgot about, but now I've come back with a vengeance!
I know this is not the place for self-promotion, but I've opened an etsy shop if you want to see some pics of my crafty goodness. It's called CrinolineCreations. http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations

I just finished a pretzel series (super cute, with glitter "salt"!) and now I'm working on getting my valentines collection up. So much fun with clay and jewelry making!

Pepper - I'm so sorry to hear about your poor fingy, but wow to the lizardy regeneration. I hope you're up to craftin' speed again soon!

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
pants
post Jan 26 2010, 07:11 AM
Post #85

Hardcore BUSTie

I am very seriously considering making this throw but know it will take ages and cost quite a lot. BUT it is so pretty and would look really nice in my living room

Also, snow, maybe you could embroider some picture sized pieces, like the portraits Jenny Hart of Sublime Stitching does, well not exactly like them, but inspired by, over a bold drawn on pattern on the walls or even a stencil of some sort.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pepper
post Jan 16 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #86

snow i suggest multimedia, embroidery is so small it will take forever to make up wall covering in just that alone. combine it with some stencil or hand painting, maybe some kind of stitchery, yarn, bead work... something nifty is bound to evolve out of that. there are some tutorials for hand looms for weaving too, i like those projects a lot. if you look me up on flickr (craftylittlemonkey) and check out my faves you'll find some incredible inspiration from tons of artists.

i've been stitching a bit lately but no internet at home still so no way to post pics of anything, boo. and i cut the end of my finger off just before xmas too so that's been slowing me down a bit dry.gif . don't worry though, it was only a chunk (and i do mean a Chunk) of the pad of my right index and now you can hardly tell any is missing at all, it's amazing! still kinda tender but really, incredible healing. i'm in awe of the regenerative powers of my lizard tail pointer. wow.

anyhoo, will get images up soon of the latest monster and some monkeys that are in the works, a stencil, a beaded doll, etc... where are all your pictures ladies?!

+Quote Post
missjoy
post Jan 10 2010, 08:54 AM
Post #87

Hardcore BUSTie

Sounds great Snow White although I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions. I also have a lot of bare walls (which drives my partner a bit nuts) because I would rather have nothing than something I don't like.

I sewed myself a tote/grocery bag the other day. I am quite proud of it although it a little discouraging that it took so long to sew something that retails for... oh... about 99 cents.

+Quote Post
snow white
post Dec 29 2009, 04:51 PM
Post #88

Hardcore BUSTie

i have alot of bare walls in my appartment and rather than buying crap from wal-mart i thought i'd paint/colorpencil my own, but then i thought, why don't i embroider my own?? the only problem is i don't have any frame of referance. does anyone know of any good sites for something like this? b/c i was thinking of doing a mermaid/underwater motif for the bathroom, dutch for the kitchen and wild animals for the living room. instead of leaving them in the hoops (which i like) i'd dress it up by putting them in a frame.

--------------------
I'm not loaded, I'm just tired of being nice

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Dec 27 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #89

cryostat bitch

Sooo, since I made the labia coin purse, I made myself a cover for my Kindle-I'm pretty happy with it-I did it in patchwork, 1" squares. I cut apart an old 3-ring binder for the material to make it "stiff" to protect the book. I will have to post a picture of it soon.

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
eyelet
post Dec 17 2009, 08:33 AM
Post #90

Hardcore BUSTie

Thank you pants!

+Quote Post
pants
post Dec 17 2009, 05:27 AM
Post #91

Hardcore BUSTie

eyelet, the pattern says this is for a boy but I think it would be cute for a girl too
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTlillo.html
KNitty has this listed as tangy but I think that's just because of the math involved (which probably isn't that bad)
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/PATThaiku.html

And this might be a little big, but she could grow into it, right?
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTjoseph.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
eyelet
post Dec 16 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #92

Hardcore BUSTie

Does anyone have a link for a basic knitting pattern for an infant cardigan sweater? My babe is 6 months, but she's 20 lbs. and 29 inches so I'd be looking for 9 month or 12 month sizing.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Dec 7 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #93

Hardcore BUSTie

For ornaments, try craftzine.com. or search for "adorned" magazine on-line. I've seen some easy, beautiful ornaments on both sites. I really love ornaments made from craft felt (whimsical animals or doves, for example). Adorned once did an article of Russian-style ornaments that were gorgeous.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
effinfantastic
post Dec 6 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #94

BUSTie

QUOTE(MadameHooch @ Dec 6 2009, 02:51 PM) *
Hi Ladies! I was invited to a "Christmas Ornament Party" and need to make an ornament to bring, however my google searches have eiher been impossibe (soldering metals? I have neither the time nor resources!) or cheesey (I really don't want to show up with a lightbulb painted to look like Rudolph). Does anyone know of a cute project that is fairly simple?

You can do a lot of cool things with those plain clear ornaments from the craft store. Probably the easiest thing is to swirl paint in them. One thing I did was made little polymer clay thingies (poinsettias, holly, simple flat things) and baked them on the ornaments. When they were cool, I popped the things off and stuck them back on with a little glue. Then, I stuffed a bunch of tinsel inside using a pencil. They were pretty easy and cheap.

+Quote Post
MadameHooch
post Dec 6 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #95

BUSTie

Hi Ladies! I was invited to a "Christmas Ornament Party" and need to make an ornament to bring, however my google searches have eiher been impossibe (soldering metals? I have neither the time nor resources!) or cheesey (I really don't want to show up with a lightbulb painted to look like Rudolph). Does anyone know of a cute project that is fairly simple?

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Dec 4 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #96

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(roseviolet @ Dec 3 2009, 02:41 PM) *
To be honest, I prefer the process of crochet, but I prefer the look of knitted items most of the time. Every once in a while I find great crochet patterns & I pounce on those! But generally I only crochet items that can be bulkier - blankets and such. Knitting provides a much smoother look, a better drape, and can have a nice, natural stretch if you use the right stitches, so I prefer to knit items that will be worn.[/font][/color]

This sums up my feelings, too. Some things like hats, I love in crochet. And I love that there are no crochet machines so crocheted items are by necessity always hand-made. But crocheted SOCKS? Yuck. I am glad I learned both arts, though. I love making my own things, and I love the feel of the beautiful yarns in my hands. The coolest thing in the world is being out somewhere and having a stranger gush over your latest finished project.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Dec 3 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #97

Pacifism kicks ass!

I also thought knitting was a bit fiddly at first. Frankly, I think that most knitting projects are fiddly for me at the very beginning, so I can understand why people get discouraged so early on. But it gets better. Once I've completed a few rows and I begin to understand the rhythm of that particular pattern, it becomes more enjoyable for me. It's worth pushing through it. Start with small projects - a basic wash cloth that you can finish is one night. Then make a scarf with a bulky thread and big needles so it'll take less time to make. I think only hard-core knitters should make sweaters. They take a looooooong time to make and too often the fit is wrong, so the sweater never gets worn. Have you heard of the Sweater Curse? Scary stuff!

I agree that crochet is a great alternative. It seems odd at first - partly because everybody holds their crochet hook in their own way - but it many ways it's easier. You're only committed to one stitch at a time when you crochet, which always gives me a greater sense of freedom and control. I also find that my hands cramp up less often when I crochet as they do when I'm knitting.

To be honest, I prefer the process of crochet, but I prefer the look of knitted items most of the time. Every once in a while I find great crochet patterns & I pounce on those! But generally I only crochet items that can be bulkier - blankets and such. Knitting provides a much smoother look, a better drape, and can have a nice, natural stretch if you use the right stitches, so I prefer to knit items that will be worn.

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Dec 3 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #98

Hardcore BUSTie

Snowwhite, it was a while before I was comfortable knitting anything besides scarves (and even those scarves were frustrating in the beginning). What kept me at it was my desire to make all the cool shit I saw other people making. ANd I wanted to use all the gorgeous specialty yarns I saw at the yarn stores. Little, by little the hobby became addictive. It snuck up on me, this love for knitting. If you don't know how to crochet, maybe you could learn that next. It's a lot easier and less frustrating. But it sounds to me that your feelings are typical for a newbie knitter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
snow white
post Dec 2 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #99

Hardcore BUSTie

wow, those sound like some pretty nice gifts, rose. i learned how to knit recently but i hate it. i really wanted to make my own sweaters and scarves and gloves this year buuut, i guess not sad.gif i thought i would luv it but i find it awkward and boring. my bf's mom is like a master knitter and i was thinking of asking her to teach me b/c maby i'm missing something.

--------------------
I'm not loaded, I'm just tired of being nice

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Dec 2 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #100

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm doing a mostly hand-made holiday. I made Batman patches for my 6 year old. I want to do a knitted Totoro and some plushies, too. On craftzine.com I found the best recipe for making side-walk chalk; you can customize the color and even make glow-in-the-dark chalk. How cool is that?!

roseviolet: you rock...knitted gloves in the round kick ass!

--------------------

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 24, 2014 - 01:44 AM