Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> She's Crafty...the Revenge
cafayzieg
post May 20 2013, 11:18 PM
Post #1

QUOTE(snow white @ Jun 18 2010, 03:56 PM) *
just thought i'd breeze through the crafty thread again; i've been spending alot of time at joanna's fabrics and really stocked up on all kinds of cool embroidery accsessories (canvas bags, tea towels, ect...) and i've been looking at their quilting supplies too. i think that will be my next big project, probably more around the time fall sets in though, i don't do much crafting when it's so nice out.

nakedmolerat, i also luv polymer clay. all i really make as of now is light switch covers and magnets though.

right now i want to make scented sachets for my drawers and get a head on x-mas (i learned my leasson from last year, it's never too early to start making all the presents).

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Nice.

--------------------
To mac, how to convert avi to mp4 is really a problem. But now, you can use League-soft mac video converter .
Have a good day.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hoffbyhoff
post May 15 2013, 01:00 AM
Post #2

BUSTie

I wish I could give advice on the tabling thing, but I have no experience there (well, other than political stuff). I guess if it were me I would want to draw people into my table and keep them there looking at things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Oct 19 2010, 10:03 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah, I agree with nbdx on the knitting flat...I've seen some great basic fingerless glove patterns that are super easy. Knitting a bag is another good beginner project...if you pick a goreous yarn (like any of the Noro yarns) you will end up with something that looks so good, it will make people downright envious.

Hats are good, too...I think one of my first projects was a wool hat, knit flat with simple shaping at the top. I didn't learn to knit until I was nearly 30, but I'm so SO glad that I did...it's a totally addictive hobby and eventually led to me learning to crochet, spin and do all kinds of cool stuff.

If you haven't done it already, be sure to check out the thousands of free patterns at Lion Yarns and Ravelry.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
nbdx0645
post Oct 17 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey Madame,
I'd say fingerless gloves could be a good beginner project, but you should find a pattern that is made flat (with straight needles or circulars) and then seamed together. In-the-round knitting is a bit tricky if you don't have the knitting basics down, especially if you're working with double points. If you do feel that you're ready for knitting in-the-round, I'd suggest this pattern: Fetching by Knitty

Something like this would be a good project if you're still working on the basics: waffle stitch gloves or thisCaron fingerless gloves. If you haven't done cables before, they're very easy.

I hope you see something you like. If you're looking for something more specific, let me know and I'll help you find a pattern.

+Quote Post
MadameHooch
post Oct 16 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #5

BUSTie

Hi Ladies!

Can any of the knitters out there throw some advice my way? Are fingerless gloves too ambitious of a project for a beginner? I've already completed a simple scarf, but am not sure where to go from there so I can keep learning knew techniques and developing my skills. Help!

<3 <3 <3

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Oct 16 2010, 07:15 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

I love the owl...I can't wait to see how it turns out when it's finished.

Do you spin on a wheel or a drop spindle? I've only done the drop spindle, but would love to try a wheel some day.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
effinfantastic
post Oct 14 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #7

BUSTie

I'm taking two art classes this semester because I needed to be a full-time student to stay on my parents' insurance. I chose Fiber Structures and Ceramics. In my fibers class, we are making small tapestries. I'm really happy with what I made in ceramics, though. We had to make a funerary urn or reliquary box with a lid and plinth. Originally, my urn was going to be kind of like a canopic jar. I was doodling different ideas for the lid and it ended up looking kind of like an owl. I decided to go with it and made the whole dang thing into an owl. I sculpted 3 feather shapes from polymer clay and made mold from them. I used the molds to make roughly a bajillion feathers that I stuck on the coil-built form.

Owl urn/cookie jar

I made a plinth, too, but I don't have a picture of it right now.

Oh, and I'm showing my fibers classmates SEM images of wool on Monday and giving a spinning demo/yarn lecture on Wednesday. Doin' all sorts of crap.

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Oct 14 2010, 02:45 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Nice instructions for sewing re-useable snack sacks.

Wish I lived in Edinburgh, postiemuse!

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
postiemuse2
post Oct 13 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #9

BUSTie

If any of you want to learn to knit and live in Edinburgh there 's a new IRL craft night happening on mondays and the next session will be devoted to knitting www.grannygreens.co.uk

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Sep 24 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been toying with the idea of making/selling yarn dread falls (lotsa gorgeous ones on craftster and cut out & keep).
Anybody have any experience with the dreads-making??

--------------------

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Sep 22 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Pepper, it helps to share a booth early on when you don't have enough to fill up space on your own..

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 17 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #12

Woo hoo, go you! Best of luck, have a fabulous time!
Effinfantastic, I love that Sleeping Beauty story, ha ha!

I've been trying to get some stock together for a holiday market this year but it is just NOT happening. Between packing to move (and moving, oh yay), apartment hunting, start of school, making xmas gifts and dealing with a temperiffic 3 year old at home, I just don't have enough time in the day to get this off the ground. So, since a ton of stuff is cut out and partially on it's way to becoming things, I'm aiming for a summer market. Whew. If that doesn't give me enough time I just give up. This is ridiculously difficult to make happen en mass. I am more of a funky one of a kind strange creation type of crafter I think.

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Sep 17 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm getting ready for a show this weekend. Been hashing out my booth design and making my product into the wee hours. Please wish me luck!

+Quote Post
effinfantastic
post Aug 13 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #14

BUSTie

I did a craft show during the local street festival. Sold some stuff that I had lying around and a few things I made especially for the show, like clay robot pendants. I even made enough profit after expenses like coffee and kettle corn to pay my cable bill. I traded some of my wares for 3 bars of lovely goat milk soap from the booth next to me. Aside from the slightly threatening weather the first day, it went pretty well. I gave LOADS of spinning demos. Kids love to watch people make yarn. smile.gif There were 2 little girls that were pretending that they were Sleeping Beauty.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 9 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #15

Love to see pics when you get them done! I have a pillowcase I've been meaning to turn into a skirt for a while now too, it's vintage with gorgeous embroidery. Trouble is, it's too big and I don't want to have to cut it because it doesn't have a seam now and that's really nice. Plus, the bottom border is lacy. I am working on a series of darts that will make it fit me without also making it poofy.
My mom was tossing a satin pillow case with a torn seam the other day and it was just so gorgeous, dark salmon colour, that I snagged it. I think it'll make a great cowl neck sleeveless top if I open up the neckline and cut some arm holes. How to finish the seams is tricky though, maybe some kind of facing or bias binding on the arm holes or something...

Here's the picture tutorial for the neat little bag, it did turn out great and is a fantastic use for scraps and buttons that have no other purpose. Let me know if anyone here gives it a go, I'd love to see pics and hear feedback about my instructions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftylittlem...57624552941199/

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Aug 8 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Perhaps this would be a better thread for my DIY fashion posts.

I picked up a couple of funky pillowcases to make into skirts yesterday and I'm STOKED. One's got a fun yellow and white abstract bubble design with a couple of dark bubbles for accent, one's pale green with a white pattern, and one's a very retro yellow, white and salmon floral design. I think I can make them all into skirts within an hour tomorrow, unless they turn out to be too narrow and need to be cut and sewn differently. If the pillowcase skirts are successful, I may experiment with a dress! Two king-sized pillowcases should be plenty of fabric for a cute little summer dress.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 7 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #17

Too bad you don't craft at all, you could participate in a swap on Craftster. I'm in the Yarnies vs Sewist swap right now myself. I can manage a bit of hook or needle work but fabric is my forte.
Can't wait for my knitty goodies, I'm really excited!

That Teesha Moore project took me forever! I mean like 15 hours with needle and thread forever, gruelling! I'm working on a simplified version right now w a picture tutorial to pass along. So far it's turning out really neat looking. I'll post a link when I'm done.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Aug 6 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #18

Big Fat Bitch

It is things like this cardigan that make me wish I were capable of knitting. My great gran tried to teach me to knit & to crochet, but my fingers are too stupid & clumsy. I'll be scouring Etsy to find myself an artiste that could knit me something similar.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
pepper
post Jul 12 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #19

Cool about your shows! Love to see pics sometime.

I've been making bunches of stuff, busting my craft supply stash and clearing out that studio. Just finished another Day of the Dead sock monkey for a friend, it's getting so much love I might have to make some more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftylittlemonkey/
Working on some fabric books, journal covers, sculptures soon. I'm very inspired to do some stitching and use up fabric and other fiber scraps. If you haven't seen Teesha Moore's youtube tutorial on fabric journals yet check it out, her work is AMAZING and looks simple enough for anyone to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cm4RoEsgl0...feature=related

+Quote Post
Nakedm0lerat
post Jul 11 2010, 07:36 PM
Post #20

I am so sorry to be responding so late. I forgot my password and every time I tried to get a new password it would give me an error. I finally registered a new account, spelling mole with a 0.

Pepper, Persiflager, Sukouyant- Thank you for all of the awesome advice for displays!! I really took them to heart, and since my last posting I have done 3 events and have had a blast at each!! Each time I have a booth I learn so much. My third event was the best- I actually did very well.

Snow white, that is so cool that you love polymer clay, too! It's on sale this week at JoAnns 50% off Sculpey and Premo

I will be posting again soon- I have pictures to share!! smile.gif Hope you are all doing awesome!

+Quote Post

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 19, 2014 - 01:55 PM