The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

> Sleeping with the enemy...for those who have Verizon or AT&T cell phones
sixelacat
post May 8 2006, 11:43 AM
Post #1

Creating demon-radical feminist hybrids since 1974

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in about Verizon. Although they are a big megacorp, they are a very queer-friendly place to work, and have kick-ass benefits for ALL families, alternative or otherwise (health benefits, cover adoption costs, help with childcare). They also pay tuition/books for college (score!). Verizon allows unions, but they pay well above union-scale wages so they're not really necessary. Also, they take all the old cell phones, fix 'em up, and give them to battered women's shelters.
I don't really care who the CEO votes for/donates money too, as long as he doesn't care who I'm campaigning for!

--------------------
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post May 8 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #2

(o)(o)

There is this here which shows the political donations of companies. Thought is may be of interest.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
divalla
post May 8 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

The deal with Michael's is that the guy who owns it (or the CEO, I'm not sure of the exact title) is one of Bush's top 10 contributors and had a personal hand in the whole Swift Boat Veterans For Truth bullshit in 2004. And Outback Steak House gave over $500,000 to Bush. I know Target is evil, but not as evil as Wal-Mart (though at least you can say they put their evilness right out there - it's glaringly obvious to me any time I had to walk in. Both my dad and I used to work there, me in electronics, him in the pharmacy - he's now part of the class-action lawsuit for unpaid overtime). But at the SuperTargets, I never buy produce or meat or bakery items because they don't hire union employees.

I hear Jo-Ann Fabrics isn't such a bad place, at least not bad on the same scale as Michael's, but I have to do some more research - I spend a LOT of money at these stores. On the whole, I don't mind chain stores, but I try to go to the smaller ones that are more local whenever possible. I've found that shopping in downtowns helps because there simply isn't room for the big box stores.

Does anyone know what pharmacies are good ones to go to that don't support a pharmacist's right to deny birth control? The onese in Supervalu stores are pretty bad in that respect, which is sad because those would probably be the most convenient for me.

+Quote Post
voodoo_princess
post May 8 2006, 07:59 AM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

http://www.picktnproducts.org/producer/store.html

I was soooo excited to find this web site! This is the perfect mini directory to some really neato things that will support locally and not necessarily support big business....... I linked directly to my FAVE section of the site, but look at all of it and maybe everyone can find out if their own state or area has something like this.

+Quote Post
mermaidgirl13
post May 8 2006, 07:31 AM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Voodoo,

That's a great reminder! I am going to try to do a lot of my shopping for the summer at farmer's markets, etc. And, even though I'm surrounded by CVS, Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, WalGreen's, Stop & Shop -- there are a decent amount of farms in the area too. I'm going to remind myself to check them out because now you put pies in my head and it's all I can think about! :-)

+Quote Post
voodoo_princess
post May 8 2006, 07:16 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

Hhhhmmmm...... I missed something here..... what is the TARGET story? And HOBBY LOBBY? wicked Christian agenda? wicked like the crusades, or another kind of wicked? I sometimes go to both these places but I might reconsider if someone can fill in the blanks for me......
*mermaid* - I know what you mean about the "mom and pop" stores..... I HATE big chain stores and how impersonal they are. I cringe everytime I HAVE to go into a Wal Mart or K Mart because it's just too big, too spread out, too hard to find what I want and lacks the cozy comfortable element of the "mom and pop" stores. Plus I have found that the smaller store sometimes carry some really really neato, original kind of things that you just can't get at the big chains. Ohhhhh I cherish me some neato originality! You know? Usually, around here, the only real "mom and pop" type stores are either the ethnic markets (which I LOVE) or if you go way way out in the county you can find a few small stores, but not really anything like a mercantile or anything. There are a few, but not many and very far in between! So you know what I really enjoy in the place of the "mom and pop" store? I love me a COUNTRY fleamarket! Fresh pies, cakes, preserves, vegetable and fruit (grown locally), homemade salsa, chowchow, pickles..... the list goes on and on. I like to stop at the little roadside stands too and get vege's in the summer cause they are usually better and cheaper than what you get in the stores and the money goes to the farmer, not the corporation. Aw well, I suppose BIG business is here to stay, but I try not to support them any more than I have too.

+Quote Post
mermaidgirl13
post May 8 2006, 06:56 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

I thought there was that article in Bust was acknowledging that Target was evil, but the writer was basically saying they don't care and shop there anyway.

I'm so glad to have this thread. I don't want to give my money to evil empires so it's great to hear all this info. It's scary though, because, like, where can you shop? The area I live in is all chains/big names and practically NO mom&pop stores or independent stores. I hate that about the area I'm in.

What drives me nuts is that there are no independent food stores anymore, unless then are ethnic food stores. I shop at Whole Foods and I hear they are pretty good and treat their employees really well, but it's still a big chain and I'd rather support the little guys... if there were any.

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post May 6 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Man, now I am even more mad that I am w/ verizon. I got stuck in a 2 yr agreement which finally is up next month, and I was hating the crappy discount you get for resigning, but this is worse. I don't want to be aligned w/ a company that supports Bush.

What is the deal w/ Micaels, though I don't like them anyway. Beware of Hobby Lobby stores as well they have a wicked christian agenda and treat thier employees like crap.

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.

+Quote Post
peacereverie
post May 6 2006, 10:03 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

No, just the pharmacist thing. It's all over the place in the feminist community. Recently, there was an article in Bust urging people not to shop at Target. I really hope they got their act together, because I really want to shop there.

+Quote Post
lucizoe
post May 6 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #10

Mr. Flibble's very cross.

(peavereverie, is there a reason other than the pharmacist thing that you're down on target? 'cause that pharmacist was fired, I think. Just curious).

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post May 6 2006, 08:31 AM
Post #11

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

They're owned by right-wing fundamentalists. I'm not sure of the particulars, but that's enough for me!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
peacereverie
post May 6 2006, 07:47 AM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah, Divalla. As soon as my contract runs out with Verizon, I'm going to try to get my husband to go into Cingular with me. My phone will be out of date by then anyway (lol)!

But it's nice to know that there are other people out there who have Verizon who feel the same way we do.

So I'm wondering. What did Micheal's do that was bad? I really love that store, but I guess they will be off my list along with Target.

+Quote Post
voodoo_princess
post May 5 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

Michaels? Like the huge craft-y store? Is there any other? Never liked that store anyway. I would like to find a list of "good" businesses. Bet that list is shorter than the "bad" businesses list, hee hee hee!

+Quote Post
amazonprincess
post May 5 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #14

BUSTie

not to derail the thread but
uh, oh, what is the evil that is Michaels?

+Quote Post
llamas
post May 5 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

*high-fives divalla*
I'm glad someone else knows about the evil that is Michaels!

+Quote Post
divalla
post May 5 2006, 01:35 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

There's a book out now called The Blue Pages. It lists off all kinds of major companies (at least 500) and tells you how much they gave in political donations in 2005 and who they were to. And when available, they also do a write-up of their policies about things like domestic partner benefits, business practices, lawsuits they were involved in, and other stuff. It's definitely worth a buy. Because of that book I know never to eat at Outback Steakhouse or give another dime to Michael's.

I think Cingular is supposed to be a really good cell phone company, as they go anyway. They're supportive of unions.

+Quote Post
mermaidgirl13
post May 5 2006, 10:50 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

Is there a thread about companies and the political things they support?

That might be a good thing to start up somewhere. Or, this could be it.

Verizon gives money to literacy initiatives though. I have Verizon too. I didn't know about the things you mention below.

+Quote Post
venetia
post May 5 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

There's just so many things like that! Dow, for example.

+Quote Post
voodoo_princess
post May 4 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

peacereverie - I have a verizon account, three actually, but had no idea of their political standings. I always hear my father or brother discussing different businesses political standings, but how exactly does one come across this information? I mean, I would like to be more informed about the companies and products I use so that I can decide if it is really something I want to support with my money.
As for the deal with Verizon and threatening to withdraw your business, I wish you luck. They are a horrible company and I have gone round and round with them and it all comes down to this.... if you want out, you pay $175.00 per phone for them to let you out of the contract. They WILL get your money ANY way they can! Especially if you have a contract..... I got rooked into a contract until 2008! becuase of a bunch of their stupid ass policies. I hate them regardless of what their political standing is, but the political thing is even more reason to hope their headquarters burn and their satellites fall from the heavens!

+Quote Post
peacereverie
post May 4 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

I just recently purchased a brand new camera phone from Verizon since my husband was already on the plan. I feel terrible for supporting a company who wants to consolidate the internet and support Bush. I thought this could be a space to discuss what we can do about this.

I really love my new phone. But I can't abandon my values. We are probably going to threaten Verizon with withdrawing our service and seeking business elsewhere. But...

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 29, 2014 - 01:21 PM