The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

37 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You make me feel like a natural-ly health woman! (Alternative medicine thread)
rubberdollz
post Nov 30 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #41

Hardcore BUSTie

Yup. The website is how I find my farmer.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 30 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #42

Hardcore BUSTie

The Weston A Price Foundation has a link on their website to help consumers locate sources of farmshare and cowshare operations for raw milk--if raw milk is not "legally" available in your area. The list includes all of North America and last time I looked some other parts of the world.

Many of these farmers use biodynamic farming methods as well as organic. There is a farmer in Richmond Hill Ontario who keeps being "arrested" for distributing raw milk from his cow-share biodynamic farm--technically, he's within the strictest letter of the law in his business, so they can never actually pronounce him guilty of anything--but he's such a massive threat to the Canadian Milk Marketing Board and he keeps bringing up the disturbing question of why it is Canada is the only G-8 nation in which the choice for this food product is denied to its citizens. They seem intent on fining him huge amounts of money for contempt, because in court he is allowed to make this statement about Canadians' freedom of choice over their food products. The Ontario and Canadian government's intention is to destroy his farm financially. But they underestimate the number of investors already committed to the continuation of his farm.

Anyway, my point is, if you do source from a cow-share or farm-share dairy farmer, be sure to find out what farming methods are used to get the highest quality of raw milk. It does make a difference in taste, and it is good to know that if you're investing in an animal as a source for your food, it will be treated with safe healthy medicine when needed, fed properly, and allowed to live a life that is as natural as possible.

(Did you know that even fois gras can be produced humanely, using biodynamic farming methods and just by paying attention to the way geese actually live and eat in the wild? Gavage is not necessary to produce this delicious and extremely healthy food. It's always so good to know that even when the healthiest foods have this unethical aspect attached which keeps us from their nutrients, we always have options open to us which take us away from the agribusiness/mass production food model. Often those methods which are the most ethical, and the most ecologically sound, produce the highest quality food, not just in terms of nutrients but also in terms of taste).

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
SUPERLUVER
post Nov 29 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #43

BUSTie

WHOA blink.gif how did you find that? do you have a website or something that you used?

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Nov 5 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #44

Hardcore BUSTie

Cha cha.. I have never heard of Dulse but the celtic/sea salt is definitely the next one on my list. I bought this huge container of sea salt a while back and I'm almost finished with it and planned on buying a good kind of sea salt. So for my thyroid problem a good celtic sea salt with give me the iodine I'm lacking????

Oh yeah I alway wanted to say that I recently leased my first cow!!! I got my first gallon of raw milk and raw butter this afternoon. It was so yummy. I found this farm that actually does deliveries in my area once a week so I can pop on over there on my lunch break. Ugh... I don't think I will ever go back to store bought milk again. Now I'm just trying to get my husband to make the switch too.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 3 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #45

aaaaahhhhh!!

i need a car.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 3 2008, 09:07 AM
Post #46

Hardcore BUSTie

I do, it's the Canadian Society of Homeopaths. You can follow up on what they've done and what they're doing about the whole sham process of regulating homeopathy at www.csoh.ca. They have a form letter on site, but I am pretty sure it hasn't been updated since the bill was voted on and dismissed.

Writing letters will only get you form letters in response. The thing to do is go and see your MP in your riding. They all have offices and office hours. Take notes, bring a written statement with you about your concerns and what you want to see take place so that you can leave it with him or her. Hell, bring a tape recorder and record the conversation with your MP, why not? Just go face to face and be heard, find out what your MP is committed to doing in response (or not prepared to do--this will be relevant). Talking in person is really the best way; a phone call is also good, but most of these weasels don't bother taking them anymore. And now that Sarah Palin fell for a prank pulled by two Quebecois jokers pretending to be Sarkozy, it's very possible that none of them will ever take phone calls again.

After that, writing letters to the editor in your paper is also good, and if you haven't received any commitment on the issue from your MP you can write about how that doesn't feel right to you. That might put a whole lot more pressure on your elected public servant, which could finally bring about some desired effort.

Tony Clement was last appointed Minister of Industry by Harper; his role as federal Minister of Health was only 2 years long, and he was only on the provincial level before that. His successor in the (holy shit, only seven bastards in that cabinet! Talk about a dictatorial government) cabinet as the new health minister is Leona Aglukkak, and she's from Nunavut.
Clement's record as health minister is appalling, and as was evidenced in the whole raw milk debacle that continues even today--he gives himself full access to any and all natural foods and medications for his own use, but wants to restrict others from having access to those things for their own health care. He's beyond being "two tier"--he's an "all for me, none for you" kind of health minister. I'm sure as Minister of Industry we'll see all industry in
Canada sold off and replaced by call centre operations in which he'll have huge shares. After all, he seems to care little for conflicts of interest, as his being a stockholder in a major pharmaceutical company while holding a national health care portfolio would demonstrate.

So you really can't get much worse than him, where health care is concerned.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 2 2008, 08:47 AM
Post #47

*frustrated*

chacha, don't you have an association that deals with things like that? wtf. this is a seriously shitty business.

where do i write to? what should i say? my MP, the prime minister, minister of health, who else?
i need a form letter, i has teh dumb and cannot think these days. i'm thoroughly overwhelmed by my life at the moment, no joke.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 2 2008, 08:29 AM
Post #48

Hardcore BUSTie

I think Clement has been given a new portfolio, he's no longer minister of health. I'm probably wrong on this (but I do recall that he'd be reassigned in the new shuffle) but I'm not surprised.

This bill will likely be re-introduced because changing the wording so that we can separate food items from drug items is not the point of the bill, nor will it change the restrictions imposed on practitioners and the public. It's that clause about foreign laws created by corporations to benefit corporations becoming effective here despite our own laws and our own legal process (which those laws circumvent) that won't change. If it doesn't get pushed in via this bill, the Tories will try to introduce other bills with that intent until one gets in--then bills like this won't be necessary.

So it's vital that two things happen: people become organized and put pressure on the rest of the government (remember: this is still a MINORITY government) including the Senate, which is the only branch of government being active against such bills, to make sure it does not pass (and to make sure all bills with the same intent do not pass). It would be good to put pressure on Tories who've been elected as well--even though they're smugly hoping the bill will pass and your feelings and vote on anything won't matter a damn in the end anyway.

The other thing: I sure wish homeopaths and naturopaths would wake up and figure out how to put some real, pro-active laws about what they do on the books so that the public is educated about what we do to the same extent as they are about conventional medicine; and that what we do is protected in law, perhaps like it is in the UK. Because until we do that, we'll waste a ton of resources scrambling around arguing with each other about how many angels are dancing on the head of the pins in the sewing box, while we end up legislated out of business for good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Nov 1 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #49

(o)(o)

I do remember just reading something in the globe and mail about how Tony Clement wants to reintroduce the bill.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 1 2008, 08:00 AM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

I thought the bill had been presented and then voted down. I know that, as it was presented, it was simply not passed.

I also know that homeopaths and naturopaths would have all been affected. In a legal strategy, homeopaths wanted to ensure that a distinction be created between foods and natural health products--again, a nice gesture, but one that makes me think homeopaths really ought to get busy and find good legal support for our profession--we'd have lost a lot of time being distracted on that issue (just for the record, we might have "won" at getting that distinction, but since we would be subject to international laws which do not have to pass through our legislative courts and we would have no recourse against those laws, our entire professions would be wiped out with a snap of a multinational board of directors' collective finger).

As far as I know, it hasn't been re-introduced in any changed state yet. It was presented and voted down in May/June, and since then, not much has happened since the election. Harper's just picked his cabinet.

Politically, c51 is not about alternative health. It's about a whole lot more, but it's packaged as a control for alternative health because that could get a ton of buy-in from "medical science", and huge pharmaceutical industries who stand to benefit internationally to some extent. It could also be "sold" easily by a media that's got a long history of whipping up public fear out of a prevailing public ignorance about alternative health of all kinds.

Now that it's failed the same type of bill will be "packaged" around another issue. It really is about eliminating parliament and the entire legislative process from Canadian government, as it would impose corporation created international regulations on Canadians which would overrule any rights we had to representation in government.

When a bill such as this is passed (and it can be, will be about any issue at all), the first one which passes will set precedence and change everything. So we really, as a community, need to be aware of what's really being proposed and stop being distracted with the stated issue, which is just dangerous "window dressing".

So...your girlfriend needs to find a much better distributor. For me, nothing has changed except I can't get a microcrystalline hydroxyapatite formulation calcium for some of my patients called "Bone Up" because it comes from the US and the distributor doesn't want the hassle of selling it to Canadians when the demand up here is so small, relatively speaking. No worries: we have a manufacturer in Canada which makes the same formulation under a different trade name. And sells for the same price.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 31 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #51

chacha, any word on how c51 is affecting you? my girlfriend couldn't order castor oil, clove and cinnamon mouthwashes, or prickly ash based toothpaste from virginia for her store and was told by the canadian distributor that it's because of c51.
i talked to my chiro the other day and he said their association fought to be exempt from the bill and they are but he wasn't sure if homeo's and naturopaths fall under that catagory or not.

when i sent the petition i got a form letter in return "reassuring" me that the bill was only about regulating and standardizing products and clarifying labelling. what a crock of absolute shit that is. clove mouthwash? give me an effing break. *not impressed*.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Oct 31 2008, 06:40 AM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

Rubberdolz, can you get Dulse where you are? Or Celtic/Brittany sea salt? Both of these are natural sources of trace minerals and absorbable iodine.

I know your friend won't listen--and that's her prerogative. It's hard to hear this, but she has to be respected in her decisions. Being cajoled into doing anything else simply can't work because she's fundamentally not committed to any other alternative at this point. Perhaps the time will come later, but she isn't there now, she's committed to doing what she's doing. If you respect her decision on that and she changes her mind in the future, you will be the one she remembers as respectful. At that point, she may decide to ask for help. Then you can help with suggestions and offers of resources which may help her choose the next step.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Oct 30 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #53

Hardcore BUSTie

Wow thank you for the info, unfortunately my friend just will not listen and thinks the cream is helping her more than hurting her.

So I was recently reading this article about iodine supplements for thyroid issues. I take an iodine supplement right now that is derived from potassium iodine which I read is what comes from kelp but also that it is not water soluble. The article said that ammonium iodide is water soluble and your body doesn't have to work as hard to break it down. Has anyone heard anything about this????

I was recommended to a Dr. Brownstein's books by my chiropractor.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Oct 27 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #54

Hardcore BUSTie

Bio-identical hormone means that it's synthesized chemically in a molecular form that is identical to one made by our bodies.
(I have issues with the use of the word "identical" there for reasons I won't get into, and bio refers to the source of the chemicals in the synthesized molecule). To me they are all similar in action any way, using them can help but they can also cause quite a bit of harm as any other hormone replacement therapy can.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Oct 27 2008, 08:56 AM
Post #55

Hardcore BUSTie

It's funny how even what you just wrote keeps screaming "menopause" at me. She is not even pre-menopause! She is taking progesterone because of issues with her period. I keep telling her to check into a thyroid issue but she won't. I'd let this all go but all I hear about is her having another period or just recently how she landed in the hospital doubled over in pain and bleeding. The doctors couldn't give her any information (big shock) but said she may have passed a cyst.

Thanks Chacha for the info!

Can I ask what do you mean by bio-identical? So it's like a synthetic hormone? I would think that the problems my friend is having is the cause of the cream.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Oct 27 2008, 08:25 AM
Post #56

Hardcore BUSTie

USP Progesterone is (United States Pharmacopia) progesterone, considered to be a "bio-identical" progesterone hormone form.

This "passes" for natural because of people like Suzanne Sommers, who's been touting it as a miracle drug that helps you skip menopause all together. A bad idea, as our bodies need menopause, and hormones increase or diminish in our bodies because of this need.

In short, it's a hormone replacement therapy cream, pure and simple. Whether the hormones are "bio-identical" or other animal derived really doesn't make much of a difference. A horse is a horse of course of course.

Sometimes people use a cream made from the Wild Yam or Dioscura (the original source of the synthesized hormone used in the birth control pill--but now that estrogen is just procured from mare's urine) to accomplish the same thing. This really should only ever be used under the strict observation of a qualified herbalist, but you know people don't usually bother with that important and vital step in actually restoring their health.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Oct 16 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #57

Hardcore BUSTie

Has anyone ever heard of a "natural" progesterone cream? My friend is on some progesterone cream and she told me that it was natural. I asked her what about the cream makes it natural since progesterone is a hormone? I've been telling her to get off of it for some time but she refuses to and thinks it is helping out her periods. So far since she's been on it she's had a period every other week and doesn't believe the cream is affecting that. This past week she landed in the hospital because of a cramp that lasted an hour and knocked her on her ass, she almost passed out in a store from the pain.

Ok she just emailed me the ingredients... take a look

Natural Spring Water, Vegetable Stearic Acid, Sweet Almond Oil, Vegetable Glycerine, Aloe Vera, USP Progesterone, Vitamins A, B-Complex, C, D & E and Grapefruit Seed Extract

What the f* is USP progesterone????

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 7 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #58

i don't think she's vegan and it's not failure to trive, just not putting on as much weight as they'd like as fast as they'd like. i have limited details right now, hopefully i'll hear something more soon.
thanks!

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Oct 7 2008, 07:17 AM
Post #59

Hardcore BUSTie

Pepper, is she a vegan or does she eat dairy and eggs? Is the baby "failing to thrive" on the mother's milk?

--------------------

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Oct 6 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #60

Hardcore BUSTie

That's it! Kombucha!!! Well he just got it in the other day and while we were chatting on the phone he was making up a pot of it for himself so it can start brewing properly. Well I figure this is the first step for my dad so I won't overload him with this other stuff yet. Mainly he's a diet soda drinker, I've never seen him drinking the fruit juices or anything so that's good. Yeah he's going to give the tea a try to at least see if it will help, but I think as long as he can find a healthier alternative while he is kicking the diet soda habit this will be a good transition drink. I told him if anything drink water and put a little bit of sugar in it, if that is all he wants is a sugary type drink. He sounded a little grossed out but it would still have the sugar properties he wants just none of the bad side effects.

I've heard they are going to start pushing that HPV vaccine on boys as well? What a load of crap that is!

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 28, 2014 - 04:24 AM