The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OCD: I Have To Do It Six Times Or Gary Coleman Will Die!
auralpoison
post Jun 2 2010, 07:14 PM
Post #1

Big Fat Bitch

I would like to say that I feel guilty about this, but I do not. What I *do* feel guilty about is that he was dark horse on my Dead Pool list.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 28 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #2

Darn it, which one of you was it?!

+Quote Post
zoya
post May 28 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #3

uh huh.

QUOTE(xena @ May 28 2010, 11:02 AM) *
Looks like someone didn't count properly.

that's hilarious. ha!

+Quote Post
xena
post May 28 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #4

Looks like someone didn't count properly.

+Quote Post
sevenseconds
post Oct 28 2009, 12:55 AM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

I used the generic obsessions and compulsions because that's kind of my coping strategy to not go too deeply into one thing... I have ("cultivated"?) addictophobia, I don't know if it's a real thing, but to me it means, the moment I feel I'm having REAL FUN I start obsessing that I am getting addicted/ dependent on it - so the rationalization behind this one is, it's to help me to constantly rotate my traits. (And no, can't give an example, I'm too superstitious to say what i do or it will stop working;)
Also, I can never choose which adjective describes something. If I leave this unchecked, every noun would have a list of 4 or 5 adjectives with slashes between them. (This trait is made worse by living in a language I am not totally aware of every nuance in).
Having to make a decision is the worst thing that can possibly befall me.
I have so many divination practices and ways to "do a reading" that I often have to do a little divination to decide which divination method to use to make the actual decision. This is true, not messing with you. It goes exponential very fast. I tend to shortcircuit it by addrenaline-bumping and doing the first thing that comes to mind, totally without thinking. (Otherwise, there are not enough hours in the day to decide to do one thing. I am forced to)
I'll post more when I think of it.
I never even thought of summing up these traits before.
Great, now it's official. Well done, AP;)

--------------------
Every story is a cup so empty it can be drunk from again and again. - MJH

+Quote Post
sevenseconds
post Oct 27 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

Why hello there.
Didn't know this was a thread.
I have OCD but have through the years developed strategies to keep it high-functioning. Like I'll trick myself into what I fixate on. I try to pick my obsessions so they sort of feed into the subject I'm working on, or leave me with knowledge I can use later... The hypochondria comes and goes tho.
The compulsions are under control when I have a deadline, or a mission. it's bad when I am at my leisure to finish what I want, which has been my situation lately. And the Lounge is so. much. fun. but... oboy.
And yeah, I'm a picker.

--------------------
Every story is a cup so empty it can be drunk from again and again. - MJH

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Oct 13 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #7

Big Fat Bitch

Oh, there was an episode of Obsessed that made me feel so much better about things. The woman on it was a picker, but she picked at her face: "Vanessa believes her problems stem from the way her mother treated her growing up. Vanessa never felt worthy because her mother placed her in foster care and she spent her childhood moving from home to home. Vanessa's anxiety causes her to pick the skin on her face in an attempt to repair and improve how she looks. This gives her a sense of accomplishment especially when her anxiety escalates or she feels depressed. She has begun incorporating tools like clippers, needles, and pins into her compulsion. In her most serious episode, Vanessa picked a hole along her jaw line that went all the way to the bone. For nearly two years, she was so debilitated by anxiety that she was unable to leave her home."

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
mumblestutter
post Oct 13 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks ap. good to know there are others out there. writing about it was also hugely relieving.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Oct 13 2009, 03:18 AM
Post #9

Big Fat Bitch

I'm a picker, too, Mumblestutter. And the evidence of it is pretty visible, I had a really bad summer a few years ago & now I have slightly cheetah-esque arms.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mumblestutter
post Oct 12 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

gah! i've been sitting around obsessively flaking off dandruff for about half an hour. totally gross & shameful. i was much, much better about this over the summer. but over the last few days, i've relapsed hardcore. i suspect it's due to being ill recently - i've been forced to be really sedentary & i feel really gross. for some reason, when i feel bad i'll pick at myself. there's something briefly satisfying about it. then i feel like shit when i realize i just injured my body & lost 40 minutes of my life doing it.

i used to do the same thing with my cuticles. but then i damaged one so horribly i don't want to touch them at all now.

i'm just gonna be totally insensitive and say i wish i obsessively cleaned, or worked, or studied. i feel like that would be more socially acceptable... and maybe even productive. i feel like my things are so gross & embarrassing.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jun 19 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #11

brown delicious

QUOTE(angie_21 @ Jun 18 2009, 07:21 PM) *
Do you think a therapist would be able to give me an honest diagnosis of my mental health?

Yes. Plus, a therapist would be also be able to intervene if medication is needed. I would be open about your desire to not use medication for your anxiety and wanting to focus on therapy for right now. Also, with your health problems, I'm a big fan of second opinions and if you feel you are not being treated appropriately (either medically or by a mental health professional) then you can go to another doctor/therapist. I'm really big on patient advocacy. You know your body.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jun 18 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for bumping the anxiety thread AP. I will give it a look.

There's a lot of reasons I'm unsure, especially about the extend of my hypochondria. Mostly because my doctor never gave me any thorough tests when I was having my "health" problems last year, not enough to know if I didn't have actual real symptoms that got better on their own. A lot of them are commonly attributed to being on birth control, and have been steadily getting better since I quit taking it. And being stuck with an undiagnosed condition for over a year is enough to give anyone anxiety!

Thanks for the advice stargazer. I want to do everything as holistically and naturally as possible. On the other hand, I don't want to let any problems get worse until I really do need medication. I just don't know how to tell when or if I'm at that point. My brother was on medication for most of his teenage life and it really messed him up. He had a really bad psychiatrist and it's left me feeling distrusful of them. Do you think a therapist would be able to give me an honest diagnosis of my mental health? I mean, it's in their better interest to tell me there's something wrong with me so they keep a customer!

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jun 16 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #13

brown delicious

QUOTE(angie_21 @ Jun 15 2009, 08:07 AM) *
Anyways, thats me. I've been trying to keep a handle on it with buddhist thinking (don't have the self control for meditation, but the non-western world view is very calming for my anxieties), working out, and just recognizing my tendencies and that my anxieties are not as real as they seem. I am starting to wonder though, since I am 25 and they have been getting worse over the last year, could this just be because I am having a stressful year (which I truly am), or could this be the beginning of adult onset of full blown OCD symptoms? Or am I just wondering this because I am a hypochondriac?

Uh, it sounds like you have OCD to me. Good for you for trying positive coping means to deal with your anxiety. Are you seeing a psychiatrist? There are alot of alternatives of CBT you can have for therapy. There are some deriatives of CBT which use mindfulness-based techniques as part of therapy. Basically, the relationship you have with your thoughts as they arise, realizing you are not your thoughts, you have choices, you can act differently, and use action (such as deep breathing) to cope differently. Make sure you ask your therapist about the use of mindfulness based techniques in order to combine therapy with the skills you are already using.

I had trichotillomania when I was a child which went away with talk therapy for me. Anxiety is extremely prevalent in my mother's side of the family. Lots of drug use occured to manage symptoms with extended family members. I think I had some mild OCD symptoms when I was a teenager/young adult. But, stress and family history led to my panic disorder w/agoraphobia about a couple of years ago. Medication was extremely helpful for me with the severely of my symptoms. My thoughts were clearer and I was able to focus more. I am no longer on medication. I use yoga and meditation (as well as other life changes) to help me.

Let's us know how things go for you angie.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 16 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #14

Big Fat Bitch

If you're feeling more like just anxiety, there is an anxiety thread. I will bump.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jun 15 2009, 08:07 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh zizola, me too! My doctor has been telling me for a few years now that I might have anxiety problems I don't realize, but after this rough year I have been through (entirely because of my own anxieties and obsessions) I am starting to realize she is right, and wonder if I should go in for CBT.

I haven't read much of this thread yet, but I wanted to drop in and introduce myself and ask, is this thread for hard core-OCD, or are there some with mild or OCD-related symptoms here too? What I have is anxiety - not social anxiety, and I've never allowed it to hold me back from doing things I want to do, it's more anxiety related to obsessive thought patterns. I have also developed mild hypochondria over the last year (mostly it involves obsessively "researching" my perceived symptoms over the internet, what a bad idea, but my doctor is not very thorough and leaves me feeling like I have to find things out for myself). I also bite and pick at my nails like a maniac, especially when I am stressed out. All my symptoms and actions are mild - checking the doors a couple times before leaving the house or going to bed, the nail-biting, etc, but recently it has started to get a little in the way of my life. For example, researching my symptoms for half a day when I am "at work" (I work from home most of the time) and getting so worked up about a little pain here or there that it really affects my performance at work, and my relationship with my boyfriend because when I am getting worked up about things, I get scared to have sex because I don't want to "hurt" myself (self-fulfilling prophecy). I've had a few of the symptoms (nail-biting and anxiety) since I was a teenager.

Anyways, thats me. I've been trying to keep a handle on it with buddhist thinking (don't have the self control for meditation, but the non-western world view is very calming for my anxieties), working out, and just recognizing my tendencies and that my anxieties are not as real as they seem. I am starting to wonder though, since I am 25 and they have been getting worse over the last year, could this just be because I am having a stressful year (which I truly am), or could this be the beginning of adult onset of full blown OCD symptoms? Or am I just wondering this because I am a hypochondriac?

+Quote Post
thirteen
post Jun 10 2009, 02:34 PM
Post #16

BUSTie

QUOTE(zizola @ Jun 3 2009, 03:17 PM) *
It is very annoying, and it seems like once I've finally cleared one obsession from my head, another one sneaks its way into my brain and takes it place. Now that I think about it, that's the same with my compulsions as well: once I "beat" one compulsion it is soon replaced by another, different one. Anyone else have this same experience?

Yup, I also have this same problem, zizola. You are not alone! Do you notice that your new compulsions are generally better or worse than the ones they replace?

OCD has been with me since I was about seven years old and once I get rid of one ritual there is always a new one to come forward and vex me to no end. This has happened countless times through the years (I am 25 now and sadly used to being troubled). Pure torture, argh!

Getting back on medication honestly seems like a pretty grand idea right now. I mean, I want to return to college without having to do rituals....and it would be lovely to socialize "normally" for a change. To other people, my OCD and eccentricities seem really "cute" and "interesting" but the truth behind this behaviour is less than adorable. More like painful and alienating.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 6 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #17

Big Fat Bitch

In my late teens/early twenties I was medicated (Paxil) & had cognitive behavioral therapy. And I am 100% better for it. I still have the odd, shall we say, OCD quirks, but it no longer runs my life the way it once did.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sassy
post Jun 5 2009, 04:13 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

I definately have OCD, but I have never been formally diagnosed. I studied psychology as a minor in college and I meet enough DSM criteria that I know I would be diagnosed if I saw a professional about it. My sister and mom also have OCD tendencies. My main thing is having everything in order. Before I leave the house, everything must be in its exact place, down to the angle that something sits on my desk. I won't let my husband enter a room once I've done my OCD thing in it. And if he does run back into the bathroom before we go out somewhere, I have to go in after him and straighten whatever items he moved/touched. I check my two alarm clocks at least 30 times before I feel safe that they are set. At work, when I close, I check the locks on the front and back door several times. I walk between the two back and forth...people probably think I am insane. I obsess over relationships...usually friendships. I always think someone is mad at me and I tend to think about little snippets of conversation all day. Lately, I've also had a weird monologue in my head that I have to think about during free moments, but only at work, for some reason: Socks, shoes, underwear, scrub pants, bra, shirt, scrub top. Like I'm afraid I forgot something when I got dressed. I'm also a hypochondriac sometimes. A lot of my friends smoke pot but I had never tried it for fear of having my throat close shut (this is a common fear when I try new foods, too). I did finally try it but I was scared of dying from it for the rest of the night so it wasn't any fun.

Has anyone here tried medication or behavioral therapy? I am curious at your results.

+Quote Post
zizola
post Jun 3 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #19

BUSTie

Ooh, this is a good thread. I am continually battling with my OCD. Some of my current compulsions are rubbing the tops of my legs if I'm at a restaurant if I'm wearing pants, flicking the tabs of soda and beer cans, cleaning my ears, keeping my fingernails very short, and checking behind shower curtains whenever I use a bathroom. I am happy to say that for the most part my compulsions are completely under control, as long as I am constantly vigilant. Once I find myself growing upset when I am prevented or stopped from doing a compulsive task, I force myself to clear my head and think of something else.

My main OCD problem, though, is my obsessive tendencies. I feel as if I am always obsessing about something, usually imaginary scenarios that I concoct in my head, and usually I will obsess about one person, sometimes someone that I like, and other times someone that I am having a hard time with. While I think it's healthy to work out scenarious like that sometimes, mine tend to become extremely invasive and upsetting, until I have to confront them and force myself to stop thinking of said person/situation. It is very annoying, and it seems like once I've finally cleared one obsession from my head, another one sneaks its way into my brain and takes it place. Now that I think about it, that's the same with my compulsions as well: once I "beat" one compulsion it is soon replaced by another, different one. Anyone else have this same experience?

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 3 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #20

Big Fat Bitch

Yes. It made me terribly glad that my OCD is fairly mild & that my CBT keeps it largely under control.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 1, 2014 - 10:47 PM