Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

40 Pages V  « < 38 39 40  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Empress's New Clothes: The Apparel thread
emtee
post Jun 25 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #781

Hardcore BUSTie

Ah, well- stay away from black, I guess. In my limited wedding experience, black is chic in urban areas, but when I went to my cousin's wedding in rural saskatchewan, my family was shocked and appauled.

Maybe a simple shift dress, or skirt-and-top combo? That should cover you for formal and more relaxed events.

Coloured shoes, you say? That sounds fun!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jun 25 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #782

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

the wedding's in Ireland - it's my cousin's - and some sort of churchy country house affair. My father doesn't have the nous to tell me whether or not it's a formal-formal wedding or something a little more relaxed. And whether or not I can get away with wearing something in my own style, or go for the conservative look. My family's catholic, and my aunt's a control freak.

Definitely something like black trouser/jeans and a blouse. (ninja-edited after I read amilita's post). Ooh, shoes. Coloured shoes lift a plain outfit so much - especially if you're going for the black trouser look - and make jeans look much smarter. I find the best smart-casual outfits are made by the accessories rather than the actual clothes. Or maybe that's just me.

+Quote Post
amilita
post Jun 25 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #783

Me-yow!

Yeah, that sounds good...I guess it would be nice to add in an element that is kinda fun/interesting/colorful, too...kinda advertise your creativity and all that, ya know? Even if it is simply a neato piece of jewelry or an unusual color combination (besides the pants) or something.

I swear, when I was running our art gallery, they profiled this woman (in Lucky) who did the same in New York and her outfit was so cool. Very hip, but also professional...pretty casual but put-together. That's what I aspire to. I can't remember specifics about it, but it was the kind of thing I bet would go over well at your theatre company.

I swear, I can't even choose from many kinds of shoes because I have flat feet and get foot pain really easily...I need to be able to walk around and be comfy. But I at least try to buy my comfy shoes in colors, so that they are interesting that way. I have red clogs and white old-school Dr. Scholl's.

I find that shoes in a color adds so much more to an outfit and go just as well as black or brown most of the time.

+Quote Post
emtee
post Jun 25 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #784

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for the Lucky magazine tip, amilita- I'll definitely go pick up a copy.

We don't have a written dress code, it's a theatre company, so I'm sure that pretty much anything goes- for my first day, should I stick to something like black pants and a blouse?

Mornington- where's the wedding?

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 25 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #785

Big Fat Bitch

Pleased to see that this got off the ground after so much debate!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jun 25 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #786

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

definitely ask if there is a dress code; at least that way you can't get into trouble. Even just ask your boss.

I'd say you need to be smart, even if you're not in a suit, by the sounds of it. If there's anyone else in your department, see what they wear. I'm a fan of the shirt and smart jeans combo at least until you know what you can get away with.

I'll lurk in here. Not actually having broken out the suits since I left school. I'll probably come in screaming if I end up going to a family wedding in August, although whether or not I go depends more on me finding something to wear first.

+Quote Post
amilita
post Jun 25 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #787

Me-yow!

Nice thread.

I think it sounds like you could get away with just about anything there...but seeing as how you're new, you probably wanna lean towards the less permissive just to help with being taken seriously and all.

Is there any written dress policy at all? If so, I'd stick with that even if other employees don't, at least at first. Then you can get more of a feel for what's acceptable for your particular job, not just the workspace.

And what's that thing they always say...dress for the job you want, not the job you have!

It's my guilty pleasure to buy Lucky magazine...they lean more towards everyday outfits and wearing things different ways as opposed to coture. I get inspired by it sometimes.

+Quote Post
emtee
post Jun 25 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #788

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm sure we've all had occasions where we were absolutely flabergasted as to what to wear- I know I have!

I'm starting a new job in a creative field in a few weeks. When I went in for my interview, everyone was in jeans or funky outfits, and I was in my very formal business suit. This is my first job out of university and I'm not sure what's appropriate- and I'll be working with the media and outside clients. Any ideas?

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 38 39 40
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 20, 2014 - 01:16 AM