The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm STILL a feminist...what's it to you?
Brynna_Tucker
post Apr 11 2007, 09:40 AM
Post #1

Open Call for Definitions of Feminism!

How do you define feminism? Do you follow the dictionary entry to a T or does the word have a deeper meaning to you? As different generations emerge, dissect, and redefine this word and movement, the true meaning of the word continues to become more and more complex.

To me, feminism transcends this traditional method of explanation. Generations, organizations, historians, artists, and individuals don't always have the same versions of what this word means. Is it a movement? A mindset? A way of life? Do you love it? Live by it? Hate it?

With all of the events and exhibitions culminating in 2007, a year that some have dubbed the Year of the Woman Artist, it is a great time to reflect on the meaning of feminism.

As a project for my fellowship at A.I.R. Gallery, I am gathering as many different definitions of feminism that I can. Anyone can submit regardless of location, gender, age, background, or lifestyle. So, spread the word to everyone near and far!

There is only one rule, and that is you have to submit your form online (see the link below) in this format:

Last Name, First Name. Birth Year. City of Residence. Definition (50 Words or less).

The entries will be compiled into a 'dictionary' ordered by last name that will be downloadable from the A.I.R. Gallery Website.

The hope is to arrive at several variations and personal definitions that can not only be usable as a resource or source of inspiration for all of us right away, but also as a time capsule for future supporters of feminism. Anyone can participate!

Logistics:

§ Please submit your definition here: http://airnyc.org/definefeminism.cfm

§ Definitions are due by Saturday, April 14 th.

§ Submit your email address so you will be notified when the compiled dictionary is ready to be viewed!

Looking forward to seeing your definition!

Oh, and spread the word!

Best,

Brynna Tucker

Artist, Feminist, and 2006-2007 A.I.R. Fellowship Recipient.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
juls
post Apr 3 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #2

BUSTie

I found this piece of journalism a bit inspiring...

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archive...haven_judge.php

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Mar 7 2007, 08:09 AM
Post #3

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

doxy, there's been a fair amount of discussion about The Vagina Monologues recently (there was the hoohah about some city changing it to The Hoohah Monologues because of complaints). We've discussed it in What Do You Call Your Va-jay-jay in LTAS and This Just In... in ATWT. A male's perspective of the play is always interesting.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
doxy
post Mar 7 2007, 08:04 AM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Is there a Vagina Monologues in here?
Anyway, my roommates and other ladyfriends put on a show for Tulane this past weekend. It kicked ass. Have to say I'm impressed. I've seen some of it on HBO before...but live and knowing the persons on stage was a bit different.

+Quote Post
greenbean
post Mar 6 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Not sure where to put this,...but it seems like an easy and free way to do something feminist-y today!

donate tampons

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.--John Waters

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Mar 5 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #6

(o)(o)

Going back to the feminist for life deal, patricia heaton from everybody loves raymond is a member of that organization. I remember she got all in a shitfit when the Teri Shiavo fiasco was going on.

RealWomen makes me insane with anger.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Mar 1 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #7

new highs in personal lows daily!

um...bumpy bump

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
tommynomad
post Feb 27 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

I don't agree with their position, but I applaud the young women on the 5 teams for standing up for themselves and their fellow players:

budding busties on the pitch

--------------------
"If I help women to have babies when they can give them love and affection, [those babies] will not grow up to be rapists or murderers.
They will not build concentration camps."
--Dr. Henry Morgentaler

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Feb 18 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #9

faerie, you slay me. esp. the "goofy euphy." you are a riot!

one thing i love about this city is the queer community is so visable (atleast to me).

i was just watching a show about queer resistance and they were talking about femme identities and femme resistance and being a femme ally. now if that sounds kind of wierd, let me explain this a bit. in dyke culture (sorry if that word offends, but when i was in that culture, that's the word that fit, and felt the most comfortable to me), there is usually a butch and a femme. the butch has the most 'masculine' energy, while the femme, is more, obviously, feminine. there are different levels of each depending on how you identify. for me most of the time i identified as a 'soft butch' i loved trucker hats, cowboy boots n hats, rode a skateboard, and held open the door for my dates. i loved doing masculine things like fixing plumbing, changing tires etc, but soft because i loved my femmininty too. i am crazy about make up, and will talk your ear off about eyebrow maintenance. a hard butch would be the cliche of a diesel dyke. it's all masculine energy with them, although my ex was close to a hard butch, she loved getting pedicures, something that her butch friends teased her about. now i identify as a femme, but not a high femme. a high femme is the most femme of women. she wouldn't be caught dead without lipstick or out of heels if she left her house. she is the polar opposite of a stone or diesel dyke. she's all feminine energy.

the reason i bring this up is because the topic lead to a conversation about femme pride. now i know, or have met most of the women who were panelists on this particular cable show, and i have heard them talk about femme pride other times and in private conversations. they are strong intellegent women and i don't think they would hesitate to say they are feminists. but they were talking about selfhatred or hatred of femme identity-- which i think comes into feminist circles some times. there is sometimes a kind of shame that feminists have for loving their femininty.

there is one thing this woman (who is a great spoken word poet) said that i wondered how it would play here. she said that she finds her femme strength is different but no less valuable that a butches. she said what if the tire on her car went flat. yeah, she could change the tire, but she could also talk a man (or a butch) into doing it for her. then she asked, which is smarter? both are useful skills. but that she took more pride in her ability to use that femme power. the reason, she said was that, that femme power is something that has been unrecognized for a very long time, and in a queer relationship it can be a form of resistance. like if there was a fight that was about to go off between a diesel dyke and some guy. the dyke's femme girlfriend can "sweet talk" the guy into going back to whatever he was doing before the blow up, and that is a strength. a power. it is not something to be disgarded and is everybit as feminist as her dyke gf cold cocking the guy and laying him out. it's just different. like the changing of the tire.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
faerietails
post Feb 18 2007, 07:56 AM
Post #10

donut-lovin' heathen

His name is Steve. Maybe I'll just donate in the name of Steve Euphrates.

+Quote Post
snafooey
post Feb 17 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #11

I said a boom chicka rocka chicka rocka chicka boom

Actually, I think someone once did figure out his name and place of employment.

He also once followed a bunch of other busties to livejournal and posted these sorts of pic/links there - if that's not internet harassment/stalking, I don't know what is.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Feb 16 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #12

too bad euphy is a nom de plume. if we knew his name we could donate the money and the time in his name.... hey, we could even get a plaque for him... sigh... just think of what could have been.... all the same, i am sure they'll be glad he posted. again and again.

why are trolls so slow on the uptake? hmmmmm....

--------------------

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Feb 16 2007, 11:20 PM
Post #13

add another donation, to NARAL or PLANNED PARENTHOOD and for every post. or as an alternative i'd like to propose 2 minutes of volunteering for every time that euphy posts. what do you think ladies? we're almost at an hour....

--------------------

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Feb 16 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #14

oooooh! me too! i just got paid! thanks euphy! you're a real swell!

--------------------

+Quote Post
faerietails
post Feb 16 2007, 11:01 PM
Post #15

donut-lovin' heathen

Pugs, a lot of the pics the crazies post aren't actually from abortions, they're of stillborn deaths. It's the only way they can get so many pics of well-developed fetuses. No, it really isn't necessary for the crazies to post ridiculous pictures like that, but that's what they do. It just makes me wanna give my neighborhood abortion doctor a big hug for fighting the good fight regardless of the bullshit.

Remember when we had the Fund for Fundies deal going on and made a donation to our favorite pro-choice organization in the fundie's name for every stupid post they made? That was fabulous. I think I'll do that again.

Euphrates, you just made a good 10 or so donations possible. Thanks! (I'm sure Planned Parenthood of South Dakota will thank you too!) smile.gif

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Feb 16 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #16

don't mind him, pugsy. believe me, there have been better x-tian trolls than him here, and eventually they get bored once they don't get the emails saying his posts saved a life. they get bored, leave and life goes on.

and the ignore button isn't pointless. this bore posts the same pix in several threads. atleast you won't have to see them elsewhere, or put up with his bullshit anymore.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Feb 16 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #17

I'm traumatized for life now! Really is that shit necessary? Are those pictures real? I'm signing off now. Ignore button is kind of pointless after the fact.

sad.gif

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Feb 10 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

I thought this spoken word poem by Kendra Urdang is perfect for this thread.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
girlygirlgag
post Feb 2 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #19

Super BadAss

QUOTE(chachaheels @ Jan 31 2007, 12:39 PM) *

I think the Feminists for Life are right in line with Camille P., "RealWomen", and all those other backlash-y type institutions put together just to undermine women and keep them from exercising their rights as human beings.

I agree 100%, I always think "wolves in sheeps clothing".

--------------------
Constantly on.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Feb 1 2007, 03:25 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

That's true, Maddy, and thanks for clarifying that.

Well, I'd say your aunt is very demanding in terms of making sure her rights are safeguarded, but she holds an opinion and stance that isn't of much benefit to many women on the abortion issue. Maybe she just doesn't understand other stances, or the issue being framed in any other way.

People are full of contradictions--we are all contradiction riddled, and conflict riddled, and just plain complicated.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 24, 2014 - 05:44 PM