The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

16 Pages V  « < 14 15 16  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pip Pip Old Chap! It's The Uk Bustie Thread.
maryjo
post Jul 25 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #301

Hardcore BUSTie

Both, punker in oscillating quantities depending on the time of day! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
punkerplus
post Jul 25 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #302

Hardcore BUSTie

I am sorry bunnyb, I guess I should think about my words more carefully.

Abortionists Daughter I'm reading at the moment. It is good, but not page turningly good, and at the moment it seems very predictable but I'm hoping there will be a big twist. You need to tell me what you think.

And Female Chauvinist Pigs - its not often I say this about a book, but it did make me challenge some of my views and wonder if some of my ideas of sexuality were more societal than... well...me!

That sounds perfect maryjo - sigh. Are you excited? Or just terrified?

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jul 24 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #303

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

waterstones. the answer to everything. especially when they're doing 3 for 2. biggrin.gif

salaam brick lane is good; I've wanted FCP for ages but it's only come out in paperback recently... I have such a problem.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jul 24 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #304

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

OOH! None of which I have -apart from The Virgin Suicides which is great- so now I'm suffering from book envy! The Almond has been in my Amazon basket for an AGE and Female Chauvinist pigs certainly seems popular around these parts recently!

I plan to visit lots even if the boy's not down there (although obviously more frequently if he is) as I had such a fun and relaxed time this visit. I really needed a break and even in the hustle and bustle it was soothing with a lot of fun activities/BUSTies/and some quality me time and shopping.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jul 24 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #305

bunny, I got salaam brick lane, the almond, the abortionists daughter, this historian and female chauvenists pigs. oh, and the virgin suicides. I am just glad my new house has shelves! ***fingers crossed for the boy***. You will definitely have to come visit lots, especially if he's going to be down here.

yay! maryjo!

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jul 24 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #306

punky, I don't think I was blowing things out of proportion but I can see that it could come across that way. I was honestly offended by your post and wasn't sure why it got to me so much, first time I let it go but second time I just couldn't, y'know? As you've said, it was completely innocent so cool.

fina, and Scotland's secret bunker would be ...? (remember my knowledge of Scotland isn't that good for a Scottish lassie!)

*flings self back at mornington* I am so tickled that you saw books and thought of me! what did you buy? Couple more months and then I too can read for purely pleasure.

marjo - how exciting!!! Did you pass your drinving test(s)? I'm booking my theory and then hopefully practical for end of September and beginning of October. eta: CONGRATS!!!

I too am loving the weather; in London I found it very mediterrean-esque and easy to shop whilst drinking a frappacino (or sit in the shade whilst drinking one) but not conducive to doing anything which actually involved effort - so nice place to holiday but wouldn't want to work there. As an aside (mornington), the boy finally finds out where his first year's placement will be this week so I'm hoping I will be in your city once a month! (If he's placed elsewhere we're going down for another long weekend in September and see Wicked! the musical biggrin.gif )

Here it is humid and unbearable at night but I do not miss the rain (we do get it a lot more!) I am also being eaten alive by midgies and my SAS approved Avon Skin So Soft was nabbed by the boy's sis for her great Canadian trek.

My grandparents are both Irish so that makes me a quarter (is my maths right?)

shebang! welcome wink.gif

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
maryjo
post Jul 24 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #307

Hardcore BUSTie

I know, Fina, I can't believe I'm off so soon! It's quite surreal.

Punker, my PhD is in English - my area of interest is gender/queer studies and contemporary American subcultural writing, or something less or more pretentious depending on who I'm speaking to. I've done a lot of work on science fiction.

Shebangs, I have been sitting here going 'I know her, who is she, who is she?' and I even found all your posts and saw which city you live in and your age and thought 'who do I know who's that age in that city' - and then it suddenly dawned on me in a blaze of light and I quite literally slapped my head against my forehead in comedy fashion. Welcome to my internet world, Ms XXX! It's great to have you here, will definitely ease my missing of you out there in the offline world.

The Bust Lounge software has changed recently so no one really knows what to do with it, so you'll be in good company with the figuring-out (I can't make a picture upload either, for some reason). I will own up and say I find it's not as intellectually stimulating in these parts as it was a couple of years ago, but you can still find some good conversations around.

I passed my UK driving test today. Go me! In an automatic so it was a bit of a copout, but most people drive auto in the US anyway...

+Quote Post
fina
post Jul 24 2006, 01:49 PM
Post #308

Hardcore BUSTie

Maryjo, are you really leaving next week already? Whoa! Good luck pumpkin!

I'm a Canadian living in Scotland. I am loving the summer, it feels like a proper summer! Although I know that for it to get nice and warm up here it is likely wretched and muggy in London. Sorry. I'm still grateful and will lap up every ray possible. It helps that it still cools down nicely at night here so I always get a good sleep.

Bunny, I'm hoping to go to Scotland's Secret Bunker on sunday!!

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jul 24 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #309

the maternal grandmother is scouse - gramps comes from portsmouth - but they've lived in north wales for more than thirty-five years. I was born in australia.

My accent is pretty fluid, but it settles somewhere in the public-school snob range - it just varies with who I'm speaking to, and how much I've had to drink at the time. Case in point: my ex - I go very posh. My ex's flatmate - I go scouse. My flatmate - I head for northamptonshire.

+Quote Post
punkerplus
post Jul 24 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #310

Hardcore BUSTie

My paternal grandmother is welsh and I was born near liverpool where all of my family are from. We just moved down south when I was really young (so I don't have the accent any more). Hows that for odd coincidences?

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jul 24 2006, 12:34 PM
Post #311

bwah-ha-ha! I am the curry monster. I want curry myself, but had to be content with pesto. I need to do some food shopping. Mmm, maybe I'll make aloo ghobi tomorrow.

I can, if you like fulfil the requirements of being a northern and welsh bustie. I have a scouse accent occassionally (usually when pissed or around other scousers) and the grandparents are welsh. I can say "fanny" in welsh. It's an achievement.

shebangs (you've now got ricky martin lodged in my tiny brain) if you go to "my controls", and then look on the left, there's a column of links... go down to "personal profile" & "edit profile information" etc. You can play around there as much as possible. Pictures are under "edit avatar setting"

maryjo, good luck with your move! don't forget to let us all know how it goes. (memo to self: get livejournal)

I'm dying in this humidity. I can cope with the heat - hell, I've done hotter - but I always wilt a little when it's humid indoors. A friend of mine - the farmer I did my lambing with - was saying they've had to start combining already 'cos the crops are so dry. I like the sunshine plenty, but I miss the rain. One of the things I love about the uk is the greenery. Regent's park is like a freaking wasteland. And the bunbun hates the heat, she's lying on her side so that her belly can cool off.

*flings self at bunny* dahling, how are you? I saw books today and though of you. I felt I needed a reward for handing in my lambing report. Now I just have to procrastinate over revising.

+Quote Post
punkerplus
post Jul 24 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #312

Hardcore BUSTie

Hello there shebangs! (Does shebangs sound a bit funny? Hmm, we'll work on that) Thats alright, and I'm glad you saw it as special attention rather than harrassment!

I am loving this summer, although I have had heatstroke once already this summer - oops. That wasn't entirely my fault though! And I do get annoyed when I can't get to sleep, but I'm one of those stupid people who has to have at least a leg under the covers, otherwise I feel unprotected....because a quilt can stop a knife obviously. And I would go for the cucumber sandwiches but Mornington has got curry into my head. Grrr.

Where in Italy are you going?

Do we have any North England busties here? Or welsh or irish busties? I was wondering that after my post earlier.

+Quote Post
shebangsthedrums
post Jul 24 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #313

hey hey, british busties! so is it all about the virtual cups of tea and cucumber sandwiches, or...? my main question is still: how does this all work, how do you get conversations going (how do you get a profile and a picture, i must look like the most boring person ever to have landed here) and things along those lines... i'm so new at this and pretty technophobic, so it's a wonder that i got this far! if people have advice i would be v v happy to hear it! hope everyone is having fun in the sun - if no-one else has mentioned it yet i'd like to say HOORAY for a british summer that actually involves some sunshine, following the non-event of last year when there were about four hours of niceness. what does anyone else think? is it too much? a lot of people i work with seem to resent the loveliness entirely, and stay in the shade all the time. either that or they already have a funny kind of tan from those moisturising things you get these days. come on, people! this kind of glory doesn't last forever! and yes, you need to take care of your skin and it is quite nice being pale and interesting if you are generally surrounded by the orange folk of johnson's summer skin and similar, but even so... i find something disturbing about a nation that manages to complain when it rains and complain when it shines, so i just wanted to say 'hooray'. and now i have. rant over, and sorry if i scared everyone away.
ahem.
i'm off to italy for nine days so that i can compare our sunshine with theirs, but... hope to have some replies and some advice when i get back, if that's not too cheeky a thing to write, and hope you are all sunning yourselves in sensible ways.
love!
shebangsthedrums
ps mary jo, i finally joined... and it has nothing to do with having to stay late at work, i swear... so, yeah, even though you're heading off to the US (grrr i'm going to miss you!) you're still gonna keep stalking people here, eh? happy to hear it!
pps punkerplus, thanks for the special attention! :-)

+Quote Post
punkerplus
post Jul 24 2006, 08:29 AM
Post #314

Hardcore BUSTie

Woah, way to blow things out of proportion bunnyb! My only point was that when I first joined I didn't realised it was for all UK busties. I had been here for at least a year, if not longer before somebody told me, and by that time I didn't feel comfortable going into a well established thread with no particular topic. Is my not posting in the NYC thread a "protest" and a sign that I would be insulted if someone thought I was american? Or that I don't want to communicate with any busties from NYC? No. I personally wouldn't find it appropriate. I also thought that if it had UK in the title then it might be easier for newbies to find their way here. The only reason I mentioned it in here and in the community forum was because I didn't want people wondering why i'd changed the named. I did ask if anyone had any name suggestions but as no one replied I took it upon myself to make one. I thought it to be a light hearted look at the way we are often portrayed and didn't mean anything serious by it.

So can I make it clear that this thread is for English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh (and ex-pat!) busties and any American, Canadian, European, Asian or Australian busties who just want to chat with us.

Puts oatcakes back in basket and pulls out freshly buttered crumpets and a punnet of strawberries.

What are you doing your PhD on maryjo? I remember you mentioning it before but I've never known.

+Quote Post
maryjo
post Jul 24 2006, 03:55 AM
Post #315

Hardcore BUSTie

Woo, and we're starting out with a nice example of inter-UK-country politics! Anglophile Americans take note, it's not all tea and crumpets over here you know. Sometimes it's oatcakes and fighting. wink.gif

I'm a Scottish-by-birth bustie who frequented the old thread while living in Berkeley, Edinburgh, Brighton and London. I have to admit I always enjoyed having Scotland be the default of UK-ness since it's usually England... but I don't mind England getting a wee turn either.

I'm not on the boards so much any more, but I do keep up with three or four threads - I shall make this one of my regulars. Though I'm moving to Los Angeles a week tomorrow (aaaargh!), to dop my PhD, so I shall be a UK bustie by nationality only.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jul 24 2006, 02:42 AM
Post #316

punkerplus, you've made the point "I never really wanted to post in there, because I'm not scottish (even though I knew it was for all UK busties)" twice (the first time in the community forum) and both times I've found it offensive. It comes across as if you objected to a UK busties thread being classed as Scottish and protested by not posting there (even though you knew it was for UK busties - that suggests that you didn't want anyone thinking you were Scottish.)

I presume the thread was started by one of the Scotland resident busties to find local busties and then derived into a UK thread as it was needless waste of threads to have both.

I think the title of this thread is very English and it's not something I identify with but it won't stop me posting here as there are many UK Busties (UK by birth or resident in UK) who I want to communicate with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jul 24 2006, 01:52 AM
Post #317

bwah-ha-ha! I love the title laugh.gif !

/doesn't have anything important to say

+Quote Post
punkerplus
post Jul 24 2006, 01:11 AM
Post #318

Hardcore BUSTie

In the changeover I noticed that scottish busties had gone the way of the dodo and so I thought I'd start it up again, but with a different name because I never really wanted to post in there, because I'm not scottish (even though I knew it was for all UK busties).

So here we are. Now I'm off to direct some newbies!

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 14 15 16
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 22, 2014 - 02:23 AM