The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Way To Grow, Girl (and Guy)!, the gardening and houseplant thread
doodlebug
post Mar 22 2010, 12:07 AM
Post #1

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

Hmm. Well, I know there are lots of plants that will grow under fluorescents, like office lighting. Do you have those? That's what made me think of the fluorescent bulb, which I think I'll definitely try - get a little clamp on spot lamp. His plant is about 10 feet from a north facing window....that's really poor light, and it doesn't get supplemented by any kind of light b/c he's at work all day. I dunno...there is a sad looking dracaena there, it has survived for years, but it's only just surviving, if you know what I mean! unsure.gif Anyway, the new plant looks happy, but it's only been there a week, so we'll see. Not only has he built it a shelf, he's named it Harry. Harry Potted Plant. rolleyes.gif I feel maybe the good energy will help the little thing along, too. I think plants will do all kinds of things to please us, if we just give them love (and food and water and light!).

I'm getting kind of eager to try making a go of the balcony this year. I've taken on a roommate to help with the rent, and she is a keen gardener, so I think we'd be able to manage the watering between us. Ooh, plus she started a worm compost last September, and we'll get to use the castings on the plants soon....I can't wait! It's cool to think that some of the garbage that would have ended up in a landfill is going to feet my plants! I've been reading a book on organic gardening for indoor plants....it says plants that depend on chemical fertilizer pay for it with poor root development, and they actually get addicted to the chemical stuff - like, they really suffer if you take them off of it, unlike natural fertilizers. I might even switch to fish fertilizer if the worm castings aren't enough...I hear it doesn't smell as bad these days as the fishy stuff my mom used to use. *gag* blink.gif

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Mar 21 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #2

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

You never know- I have a couple of plants at work that get no natural light and the lights around my desk are just halogen (I think- maybe incandescent....some kind of indoor flood lights- it's all recessed lighting) and these plants actually grow. Not just stay alive, but they have gotten bigger. I don't know how it happens. It's mostly a dumb cane and a dracena rikki.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Mar 21 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #3

Soulman build himself a shelf for the plant I gave him. Awwwww!!! How touched am I? Too bad it might not prosper; he has really poor light, which is why I've never given him a plant before. I am thinking of trying to supplement it with a fluorescent bulb. It would be really nice for him (and me!) to have some green in there, maybe it's worth investing in plant lighting.

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Mar 19 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #4

I should post in the Decorating thread, you're right!

I'm trying to figure out how far back from the window I can place plants. I am south facing, but I can't remember what the bubble zone is for placing semi-shade plants, shade plants, etc., whatever distance away from the window. I once found a great graphic on the internet, but I can't find it now. Anyone have a clue?

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Mar 15 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(doodlebug @ Mar 15 2010, 10:30 AM) *
Oh, we're totally going to do a guerrilla garden out back of our building! I don't think my roommate could be stopped. She was going to do it years back, before she was even staying at my place. Heh.

I need to figure out how to get more plants in my bedroom. It's SO small, there's no surface space left, and there's no floor space, really. There's barely floor space for me. So I've got to figure out some kind of clever hanging system, I guess. I REALLY don't want to go the old macrame route, and I don't want those pots with the plastic hangers. Anybody got any thoughts?

You'll still have to use macrame things, or something like that, but one of LeBoy's friends took eye hooks and screwed them into the ceiling, then fed a sturdy dowel rod through the eye hooks (like 3 eye hooks for a 6 foot dowel rod- one on each end and one in the middle) and then hung the plants from the rod.

I'm looking at Ikea's site and I'm surprised they don't have some sort of wall thing that you can attach potted plants to. What about one of those shower shelving things on a tension rod (like this)? You could at least put a bunch of small ones on the shelves- probably wouldn't hold too many bigger ones.

You should post this question in the decorating thread, too!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Mar 15 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #6

Oh, we're totally going to do a guerrilla garden out back of our building! I don't think my roommate could be stopped. She was going to do it years back, before she was even staying at my place. Heh.

I need to figure out how to get more plants in my bedroom. It's SO small, there's no surface space left, and there's no floor space, really. There's barely floor space for me. So I've got to figure out some kind of clever hanging system, I guess. I REALLY don't want to go the old macrame route, and I don't want those pots with the plastic hangers. Anybody got any thoughts?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ketto
post Mar 15 2010, 08:01 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

It's normally still freezing and covered in snow here but almost all the snow is gone and the weather has been around 5 or 6 above for the last week. It's been great. I've been doing some spring cleaning because we have these really old sash windows in our apartment with 3 movable panes and 1 stationary. We always leave all put 1 pane down which means I have enough room in every window sill to fit some window plants. I'm wanting to get a lot of herbs and easy to care for plants.

I'm going to miss having regular access to a veggie garden (at my parents). I'm so tempted to create a guerrilla garden in the back of our building.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Mar 15 2010, 12:18 AM
Post #8

Well, it's been a positively balmy winter here in British Columbia! As anyone who's watched any Olympics probably know. wink.gif I've been itching to get back to gardening, snapping up small houseplants and cuttings everywhere I go. My zeal is showing; my neighbour entrusted me with a scraggly, overpotted monstera recently! Today, I even potted up a Scindapsus for Soulman's place.....

Anyone else got the spring gardening bug?

--------------------

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Sep 21 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #9

A symphony of atrocities.

I have found that spider plants can last in pretty much any situation. I like them because they come in green and variegated. the only need water once a week. they do grow fast and can get big. I also have English ivy, it's beautiful but it get's long.Here are some other suggestions. Cacti are always a good option for low maintenance and direct sunlight.

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Sep 20 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #10

brown delicious

Does anyone know of any good, hardy houseplants I could buy for my office?? My office window gets alot of direct sunlight, but, the temp inside can flunctuate. I like to have 1 plant in my cubicle to make it feel a little home-y. Thanks!

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Jul 7 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #11

cryostat bitch

And there is also a plant called Fishnet Stockings. I grew some on my balcony last summer...they did pretty well!

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
prettynpink
post Jun 30 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

I just felt the need to point out that there is a plant called the Brazen Hussy. I am, needless to say, delighted with this.

--------------------
Whats brown and sticky? A STICK! bwuahahahahahahahahahaaaa

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 4 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #13

Bump!

Anyone know what kind of plant this is?

ETA: Nevermind! It's a Dracaena Rikki. And of course, it was a Bustie that knew it wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 17 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #14

They are surprisingly pretty for as cheap as they are. You may want to open the box in the store before you buy them- there are a few color combinations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Dec 17 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

And they're pretty. I just wish I had some real houseplants so I could use them. My cats tend to chew on real plants, so I can't maintain them.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
erinjane
post Dec 17 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Good to know. I've seen people set up similar home made things like that for tomato plants, but using pop bottles.

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 17 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #17

Had to resurrect this thread to report that those "As Seen On TV" Aqua Globes really do work. I have a dumb cane plant at home that was starting to have leaves turn yellow and wilty. I got a set of Aqua Globes, filled one up and stuck it in. I must have really been under-watering it because it sucked down an entire globe-full in 2 days. It's supposed to take 1.5-2 weeks! I was worried, thought it didn't work and I just drowned my plant (the pot has no drainage holes, either, so I really was concerned), but it didn't die. I filled it up again and now it's watering at a more normal rate. No more yellow leaves, the dirt feels moist, but not soaked and it's even growing!

Since it worked so well, I brought the other one to work and stuck it in the plant here.

Shop around for a good price- Amazon has them 2/$15, but I got mine at bed Bath and Beyond for $10.

--------------------

+Quote Post
zora
post Nov 3 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #18

Anyone know where I can by a mulcher/shredder that takes leaves and branches? I'm very frustrated here.

+Quote Post
mouse
post Oct 3 2007, 01:13 AM
Post #19

Most Likely Procrastinating

plant health question! this is my first time raising houseplants and while they've done pretty well so far, i am still pretty ignorant about things.

so, my polka dot plant has a little bit of whitish yellow mold in the soil, and my spider plant keeps getting this white dusty stuff on the terracotta pot it's in. google search results tell me: "A white or light yellow mold-like growth may indicate the presence of a saprophytic soil fungus, a fungus that lives on dead or decaying matter. The fungus will not harm the plant but may indicate unsterile potting medium or an overwatered plant." is this true? should i just leave it, or attempt to remove it, or repot?

as for the dust, i'm assuming it's also mold? what should i do? should i be worried for my plant friends? they both seem completely healthy otherwise, and neither my philodendron or my oregano have been affected either way.

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Aug 6 2007, 08:25 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Another saved plant! I have friends that do plant-rescue around town around demolition or whatever sites... and then give the plants away for free.

My lavendar just hasn't worked out... and my petunia is definitely having problems... It's just been so Africa hot here lately! My tomato plant is making progress, but no tomatoes yet..
Peppermint and basil are just peachy!

What's a good natural remedy that wards off or kills pests on plants outdoor?

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 20, 2014 - 06:54 AM