Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Way To Grow, Girl (and Guy)!, the gardening and houseplant thread
treehugger
post Jun 8 2007, 07:24 AM
Post #41

cryostat bitch

I also have a pruning question, but I'd like to NOT kill my overly large rubber plant...are there any tips? Here's an old-ish pic:

It's just getting too big, you have to walk bent over to go sit in that area. It's almost doubled in size.

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
substandard engl...
post Jun 6 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #42

BUSTie

I have a strange question for this forum, but I figure you would probably be the folks to ask.

The side of my house is overgrown with all manner of plant life, primarily ivy. I wouldn't mind, it's pretty and green, and due to the layout of the house and yard the space is perfectly useless. The problem is that I'm fairly certain that it's an excellent breeding ground for bugs, including mosquitoes. I am one of those unfortunate souls who mosquitoes regard as something akin to a buffet. I know Deet is terrible for people, but it's irrelevant because it doesn't work anyway. I am eaten alive no matter what time of day or night I go outside and what wretched poison I've slathered myself in.

So, as part of my mission to reclaim the use of my yard, I've declared this Sunday to be Yardageddon. I'm going do a lot of trimming and cutting back and grooming and whatnot, but I also need to do some serious plant killing. And I'm poor. Suggestions? Guidance? If the area were not so big I would just dig it out, but yeah, that's just not going to happen. I'm not nearly that buff. Otherwise, I'm open to anything I can afford to do.

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Jun 6 2007, 09:52 AM
Post #43

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks FJ!!

I'm running out this weekend for it! Sorry about the lack of pungency. ergh. frustrating. But still sounds like it's kept up well. Maybe it's lonely and needs a friend or the other plants have been picking on yours... derrr just kidding. i'm a dork.

+Quote Post
falljackets
post Jun 6 2007, 09:05 AM
Post #44

crush groovin'

moon, you can start jasmine in a pot for sure! i had some in a pot for three years and when we finally settled in this house, i planted it by my mailbox. it's all wrapped around the box now. i'd just planted it in a slightly bigger container than i'd bought it in and kept it on my back porch up until then.

only strange part is that mine doesn't smell as intensely as many of my neighbors'. i thought for a while it was because it had sort of gone dormant at one point (in fact, when we first moved in here, mrfj wanted to put it out by the road for pickup because he thought it was dead). but it isn't flowering very much this year and i'm hoping it'll flower more next year and thus give off the smell!!

good luck!

--------------------
to love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides - Viscott

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Jun 6 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #45

Hardcore BUSTie

I feel your frustration guys. My pennyroyal went bye-bye, my sage is on it's way out, and the zinnias are pooping out, too. I just wonder if I overwatered them, or under watered them. I know that with some herbs, like dill, their life isn't that long anyway....

Basil, petunias, lavendar, etc. is going well so far.

Ginger--thanks for the tips... I'm excited about getting one started seeing as I've had some casualities. sad.gif perennials with perennials and annuals with annuals? obviously sun with sun... you get the idea.

Anyone know about jasmine? I was in Charleston, SC and it was just everywhere! Smelled so dreamy, but that was the "creeping" vine kind... err. anyone know how to get that started in a pot with a fence-thingie... so it can be mobile? Is that even possible? I want to be able to take it with me when I move next year.

And how do gardenias do in a container? I want fragrance, bitches!!!

+Quote Post
coela
post Jun 5 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #46

Hardcore BUSTie

Just a couple of days ago, my lucky clover was thriving with its plant buddies:pic here
but now it has got some evil lice and is dying by the hour! I'm so sad, I had it since it was a little bulb..
(= for 2 months, but still) sad.gif I think all hope is gone.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 5 2007, 08:01 AM
Post #47

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Has anyone ever started their seeds inside, in the little temporary pots before planting them outside? I'm trying this for the first time this year- how do I know when they're big enough to go outside?

I have some zinnias planted and they haven't gotten any bigger in about a week and a half- is it time to move them to the big pot? They're about 3-4 inches tall, but they're pretty floppy still. Last year, my flowers managed to grow without being started inside, so I don't know why I'm worried...

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Jun 4 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #48

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm jealous, zora. I have a red form of colombine, that isn't nearly as pretty as yours.

moonpie, for multi plant pots you can really do a lot, the options are pratically endless. I reccomend mixing colors and textures to add interest. Something spiky, something that vines, flowers, just mix it up and have fun.

I am so lucky, two of my nieghbors are serious green thumbs with gorgeous gardens, and a couple times a year they thin out thier gardens and give me cool starts. I love it when people give me plants!The other day I thanked the one lady for some mystery flowers and day lillies, and she was like, "No you don't thank someone for plants, you say happy gardening." I thought that was sweet.

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.

+Quote Post
zora
post Jun 2 2007, 03:07 AM
Post #49

Can I brag about my pretty colombine? I have a small obsession with them and have about five of them in our tiny flower bed. Here's the nicest one:

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post May 23 2007, 06:48 AM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

I have a sprout from my lavendar pot! just one out of many seeds I put in it. I hope the others come along.

So happy! yeeee.

Any suggestions to get the ball rolling for the others?

Oh and have any of you done multi-plant pots? I want to create one. What has worked for you and come out really pretty?

thanks

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post May 21 2007, 01:24 PM
Post #51

go ahead . . . push the button!

mint grows really well where i live. i'll try that. thanks coela.

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
coela
post May 21 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(shinyx3 @ May 20 2007, 05:53 PM) *
i have a question ans i am not sure where to look for the answer so i will ask y'all. my hubby recently plante some aspen trees and they appear to be doning well. they do however have teeny tiny black ants on them. i am wondering if these are harmful or helpful. if they are harmful to the trees what can i use that is nontoxic to the tree and environment that will get rid of the ants? any advise would be welcomed.

Ants are not harmful to plants or trees, if it's not a fruit tree. If the ants start to invade the house,
well that's another issue... You can always plant herbs that the ants don't like the smell/taste of.

Getting rid of:

Ants - Catnip, Mint, onion, Peppermint, Spearmint, Tansy, Wormwood.

Aphids - Anise, Catnip, Chives, Coriander, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Garlic (works with roses),
Marigold, Mint, Mustard, Nasturtium, Onion, Oregano, Petunia, Sunflower.

+Quote Post
kari
post May 21 2007, 07:06 AM
Post #53

Hardcore BUSTie

Miss Joy, I've got similar issues. Minus the dog urine spots. Parts of our lawn look great, others are full of clover & dirt patches. I seeded 2x already, and it's taken in some spots. If you hear of any non-toxic stuff for eliminating clover and other weeds, will you let me know? As much as I don't want to, I think we're gonna have to Weed & Feed.

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post May 21 2007, 06:51 AM
Post #54

Hardcore BUSTie

Awesome about your new trees... so nice to get plants/trees as gifts.
And hope the four o'clock's work out. Don't look them up to see what they look like... I would wait for the surprize. Maybe I should get some if they are sprouting/germinating so soon! A wee bit of instant gratification.

As for the lavendar, I picked a plant up yesterday and will be making a multi-pot after work today. I keep thinking of them sitting alone with a home on my porch. Geez. haha.
I got some new dirt and some sand, so I think I may try the seed thing regardless. I really want the pleasure of doing that... an accomplishment.

My roomie will probably think I'm going nuts with the container garden! But won't complain when it spices up my stews/soups! I inspired my neighbor to pot some plants too! awww.

QUOTE(ginger_kitty @ May 20 2007, 03:44 PM) *
Sorry, shiny not sure about your ant problem.

A couple years ago I started lavender from seeds, and it looked great until I transplanted it. Not sure where I went wrong. But I have since been told that it needs well drained, almost sandy soil to thrive.
I was recently given some Four o'clock seeds by hubby's aunt, but I am not sure what exactly they look like so I am eagerly waiting to see. I planted them last week, straight outside and they are already sprouting. One of my neighbors also gave me a couple of small flowering trees, today. So I am psyched about that.

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post May 20 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #55

Hardcore BUSTie

Sorry, shiny not sure about your ant problem.

A couple years ago I started lavender from seeds, and it looked great until I transplanted it. Not sure where I went wrong. But I have since been told that it needs well drained, almost sandy soil to thrive.

I was recently given some Four o'clock seeds by hubby's aunt, but I am not sure what exactly they look like so I am eagerly waiting to see. I planted them last week, straight outside and they are already sprouting. One of my neighbors also gave me a couple of small flowering trees, today. So I am psyched about that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post May 20 2007, 11:36 AM
Post #56

go ahead . . . push the button!

i have a question ans i am not sure where to look for the answer so i will ask y'all. my hubby recently plante some aspen trees and they appear to be doning well. they do however have teeny tiny black ants on them. i am wondering if these are harmful or helpful. if they are harmful to the trees what can i use that is nontoxic to the tree and environment that will get rid of the ants? any advise would be welcomed.

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post May 18 2007, 11:44 AM
Post #57

Hardcore BUSTie

I see that you are trying to grow lavendar and have been successful enough to get a sprout. I think I jumped the gun on my lavendar seeds. I used some leftover potting mix I found behind my apt. cause I ran out of mine and was eager to get them potted. Don't know how long the mix has been there, but seemed pretty moist and okay, so I took a chance. Just had some pill bugs in it. Having not really done research on how to start with seeds, I didn't mix it with sand, but I did put pebbles/rocks on the bottom. And really turned the dirt as much as I could to add O2.
I put them in a large pot and spaced them about 1inch and half apart... when I say them, I mean I put little bunches of seeds spaced apart. I covered them lightly with the soil and watered it. And then..... left it outside where it would get direct sun and mild spring heat.

Okay okay.... am I doomed cause I didn't start indoors? with a starter kit, covering it, 40watt bulbing it? Should I just give it up and start over? I'm so new at this and want the pleasure of nursing baby seeds.... ya know. Especially since the plants have been unavailable to purchase for a month.

Help! thanks.

Bulb- I know I've been guilty of overwatering a cactus or succulent.... I'm sure it's just that the bloom is ready.... or just lay off watering for a spell... and see what happens? Geez... I'm no help. sorry.
QUOTE(into_a_bulb @ May 4 2007, 10:04 AM) *
I, too, am also an "urban prisoner" heh and I try to make due with my little metal porch. I almost cried last night when I noticed a teeny little green sprout out of my flower pot (I'm trying to grow lavendar). I have a question. I'm totally new to the whole taking care of plants thing and I have a cactus who bloomed the most beautiful flower one day but it only lasted about a week and now it looks like the blossom is falling off? Am I over-watering or something or is this natural to cacti?

+Quote Post
missjoy
post May 18 2007, 07:56 AM
Post #58

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm hoping someone can help me or point me towards tips. I'm a new home owner, we moved in last Thanksgiving. I have a lawn for the first time and I'm having pretty lawn envy. Mine is patchy, full of weeks and has big dead spots from my dog peeing on it.

I've reseeded the biggest dead spots and it seems to be starting to sprout. I bought a "weed hound" which has removed most of my dandilions and it great fun. However, my lawn is still patchy and has lots of clover mixed in with the grass.

Due to environmental and doggie concerns, we don't want to use any unnatural chemicals - any lawn tips?

Missjoy

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post May 9 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #59

Hardcore BUSTie

I sprinkle a little Diatomaceous earth on my indoor and outdoor plants it sovles most bug issues. You can buy it at most local natural food stores.

I wish I had enough space for a veggie garden. I am seriously considering at least making a little container garden on my patio.

polly, your daisies will probably bloom this year. The same thing happened to me once. I started my seeds too late, so they didn't bloom the first year, but the next year they bloomed like mad.

--------------------

+Quote Post
princess evangel...
post May 9 2007, 05:55 AM
Post #60

BUSTie

Put my vege patch in last week and it's coming right along. The sqirrels are robbing me of my newly sprouted corn, but I'm hoping there will be enough spared for us to enjoy at least a bit of it this summer.
I planted -
strawberries
french breakfast radishes
2 varieties of watermelon
carrots
swiss chard
spinach
green onion
cayenne peppers
cucumbers
sweet banana pappers
japanese eggplant
2 varieties of tomato
strawberry popcorn
long handle dipper gourds
"peaches and cream" corn
and rhubarb (not in the vege patch but in it's own large wooden box crate)

and also some mallow flowers and a few other flowers

the birds are getting my strawberries and the sqirrels my corn and something, a bug, appears to be chewing on my eggplant leaves, but over all it's coming right along. I don't use any sprays or chemicals so the flowers I planted were chosen specifically because they act as deterents to certain bugs and worms. The radishes are mixed in with my melons to deter beetles etc. I figure for thousands of years people farmed with NO chemical assistance what so ever, so my little patch should be OK as is.....

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 31, 2014 - 05:32 PM