Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

20 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Halloween!
treehugger
post Oct 25 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #41

cryostat bitch

ccgirl, could you get white tights and dye them with some cheap dye?

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Oct 24 2009, 04:37 PM
Post #42

Hardcore BUSTie

Gah, I still have to go to Value Village just to get a witch's hat and cape! Ahh, I feel like I'm running out of time. Also, is anyone else having trouble getting into the Halloween spirit this year? I'm just not feeling it.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 24 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #43

if you can cut out two rectangles you can make leggings. just safety pin them up the back or sides (cool look for a punk rock witch) or jab holes with scissors and lace them up like a pair of shoes with yarn or some other kind of string. you can do it!

now that i live out in the country pumpkins are everywhere for about a dollar so there are like 6 on the porch already. hee hee.

+Quote Post
evadestruction
post Oct 24 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Oct 24 2009, 05:17 AM) *
pepper, I wish I could but I have no idea how to sew. I can't sew by hand and I don't have a sewing machine (back home I managed to break my mom's within 10 minutes of using it blink.gif ). I really need to learn how to sew eventually because there are so many times that it would come in handy.

As for decorating, I just have one small light up pumpkin and the lightbulb on it seems to be going! I love carving pumpkins but it doesn't really make sense now that I live in an apartment. But when I lived with my parents I used to do at least 2 pumpkins (I usually tried to get 3) and one of them always had to be a traditional jack-o-lantern. For a while I even made a scarecrow and had him sit on a bale of hay. I also used to put scary figures in the window and hang a small skeleton on the front door using a regular wreath hanger. Oh and I always managed to use fake spiderwebs and caution tape and for many years I would hang ghosts from the tree in our front yard.

hey candycane, try value village! they have new striped tights and socks for girls of all ages and sizes for pretty cheap. they also sell witch shoe covers,fake bus,and cobwebs. you could dress up a broomstick with matching ribbons to your tights or socks. almost any department store will probably sell striped socks if value village is a no go.you could decorate a crooked stick with glitter for a quicky wand.
happy haunting!

+Quote Post
evadestruction
post Oct 24 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #45

ps dont forget your familiar!

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Oct 24 2009, 07:17 AM
Post #46

Hardcore BUSTie

pepper, I wish I could but I have no idea how to sew. I can't sew by hand and I don't have a sewing machine (back home I managed to break my mom's within 10 minutes of using it blink.gif ). I really need to learn how to sew eventually because there are so many times that it would come in handy.

As for decorating, I just have one small light up pumpkin and the lightbulb on it seems to be going! I love carving pumpkins but it doesn't really make sense now that I live in an apartment. But when I lived with my parents I used to do at least 2 pumpkins (I usually tried to get 3) and one of them always had to be a traditional jack-o-lantern. For a while I even made a scarecrow and had him sit on a bale of hay. I also used to put scary figures in the window and hang a small skeleton on the front door using a regular wreath hanger. Oh and I always managed to use fake spiderwebs and caution tape and for many years I would hang ghosts from the tree in our front yard.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 23 2009, 09:04 AM
Post #47

CC you can whip up tights pretty easy in your size, they don't have to be sewn tremendously well, just good enough to get through the night right? if you aren't up for figuring out the toe you can do a footless version, or even just leg warmer style which is dead easy as it's just tubes (you can stitch a channel in the top and slip in some elastic to keep them up or attach them to a garter belt if you've got one and are feeling saucy wink.gif ). i get fabric from the thrift store in the form of old crap clothes, bet you can find something terrific if you scrounge around a bit. you can give a cotton t a quick dye job to get just the right splash of colour. if you do that you can use two different pieces of clothing and make them colour match even if the patterns are different, like stripes in diff sizes or stripes and spots or stripes and solid, i love that look.

my girlfriend in LA has my bee, devil and raggedy anne costumes so she's sent me her wicked pirate gear this year. i know it's a traditional get up but it'll be a first for me and she's Really into ren-fest and the like so i'm expecting something awesome to show up. the kids will LOVE it on me, that's for sure! will post pics when we're all together.

anyone decorated the house? we made a pumpkin headed fella for the porch, he turned out GREAT! and it was so fun. halloween is so the best time of year, isn't it?

+Quote Post
rogue
post Oct 22 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #48

Hardcore BUSTie

I think I'm going to go as an oversized baby, haha. My mom actually owns a pair of adult pajamas with FEET (I don't even know where they came from; my grandmother found them for her and gave them to her one day) so it would be a super-easy costume. Paint on some freckles with eyeliner, put my hair up in pigtails and carry around a teddy bear. DONE!

I haven't done Halloween in a long time so I think it's going to be fun. I'm going to hand out candy with my two best friends and then we're going to get drunk, which will be nice cause it's been a while!

--------------------
Vixi liber et moriar.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Oct 22 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #49

sassygrrl

I'm going as a go go dancer (found a weird 70's dress in a thrift store) but I just need to find some cool boots, and Mcgeek is going as a famous science guy.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Oct 19 2009, 05:14 PM
Post #50

Big Fat Bitch

I'm sure COCL is probably right & that the mascara will not fuck up your hair, but if you're worried, just to be safe . . . I think you've got a good idea with doing a little spot in the back & then dealing. Fer reals. And I'd probably go with a dark wigcap, that might help, too. If it pulls the hair back tight enough to be comfortable you'll probably need less mascara.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
spiderbaby
post Oct 19 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #51

auralpoison -- I know, I know. I should clarify that my definition of 'cool' tends to run very dark aand vampy, but even so, I know there are options. I always wind up whining about my hair come Halloween time though.

carazyoldcatlady -- Poison Ivy! Willow-from-Buffy! Anne-with-an-E Shirley! I think April O'neil totally counts, at least in the yellow jumpsuit cartoon version, and that it would be an awesome costume.

I think I will just do a test spot in the back and cut it off if it goes wrong. Luckily it's pretty choppy already.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Oct 19 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #52

Big Fat Bitch

Y'know, I hate to tell you this, Spiderbaby, but the only real solution here is some kind of patch test. Sure, we *could* tell you that it'd be all right & that it worked just fine on our hair, but without doing a patch test of your own, you're still kinda flying blind, no?

Also, have you checked your local costume shop/halloween headquarters? They often sell hair mascara & that single use, wash-out spray this time of year.

And there are many wonderful blondes in the annals of fiction &/or popular culture. Cherchez la femme!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Oct 19 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #53

the moistiest

Question -- My boyfriend and I are going as Morticia and Gomez

omg i fucking love them! i'm jealous.

i don't think mascara will stain your hair. when my hair was light i'd accidentally get some in stray whisps and it didn't do anything. it might be a bitch to wash out, but... do you have color treated hair? that might make a difference.

Why does no one cool in all of fiction and pop culture have light hair?

she-ra?? rainbow bright??

what we need is some red-headed representation. smile.gif pippi longstockings and mary jane from spider man don't count (jean grey-xmen? april o'neil from teenage mutant ninja turtles? jury's still out on that one.)

+Quote Post
spiderbaby
post Oct 19 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #54

Question -- My boyfriend and I are going as Morticia and Gomez this year, and I splurged on a fairly decent wig. It came in the mail a few days ago, and I'm pretty well pleased with it, but it looks best when I push it behind my natural hairline a bit. And unfortunately, I have blonde hair.

Do you think applying black mascara to the bits of my hair that show would stain it? There's not a lot of it, the wig has a little bit of side-swipey bangs (I know Morticia doesn't, but the wigs that were just parted down the center all looked godawful), so only a little of my real hair shows, but the stuff that does looks pretty weird. Mascara seems like it would be a good fix, but I am worried about the staining aspect. I think black-on-blonde anything has the potential to be disastrous. My hair is pretty short, so I don't have anywhere that I could do a test on.

Why does no one cool in all of fiction and pop culture have light hair? LadyLove, I envy you.

+Quote Post
LadyLove
post Oct 13 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #55

I'm going to be Wonder Woman. Have the dark hair so WTH. wink.gif

+Quote Post
annabananahannah...
post Oct 13 2009, 05:14 PM
Post #56

Hardcore BUSTie

i want dress up for halloween. i have a black lace dress, and i thought about just getting make up and being a "goth" or being a witch or vampire, but i think those ideas aren't all that creative. anyone got any ideas?

--------------------
what y'all lookin' at, biznotch?!

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Oct 13 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #57

Hardcore BUSTie

I thought about that but the problem is that I'm plus size and getting plus size tights (or leggings as I would prefer it) in cool colours is just about impossible. I'm wondering if I could squeeze my fat ass into some American Apparel leggings.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Oct 13 2009, 05:14 AM
Post #58

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Oct 12 2009, 08:47 PM) *
I don't want to be wearing 100% black if I go as a witch but I have no idea how to add a splash of colour to the costume. Any ideas?

purple, red or orange tights?

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Oct 12 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #59

Hardcore BUSTie

Okay, so I totally changed my mind on the Medusa costume. I really want to do it but I have practically zero free time lately and also it seems (to me at least) like it has been getting a lot colder already. However, I might be going to a house party which means that I wouldn't have to worry about the cold.

Anyway, I was thinking about just being a witch (lame, I know). I have a really awesome black corset-esque top but I'm not sure if I should wear something under it. I don't want to be wearing 100% black if I go as a witch but I have no idea how to add a splash of colour to the costume. Any ideas?

Also, epi, your costume sounds awesome!

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Oct 12 2009, 07:41 PM
Post #60

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, since I haven't really had a stroke of genius for my costume this year, I've decided to go with something that's not my idea but that I've always wanted to try: the tooth fairy. I'll just wear my crinoline with a white dress and some cheap wings from Value Village, and I'll wear a tooth necklace and carry around pliers and some gruesome fake "toothless hilbilly" teeth and slightly deranged, sinister makeup. And glitter! Maybe I'll splatter a little blood on my dress. But I don't want to overdo it and confuse people. And I'll walk around telling people they shore got purdy teeth all night.

Woo! Excited!

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 23, 2014 - 02:13 AM