The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't U 4get About Me..it's The '80's Again, step back into the future and talk about what was
thirtiesgirl
post Sep 3 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #41

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(zoya @ Sep 3 2008, 12:59 PM) *
I fucking hated the end of Pretty In Pink, also, Bustygirl!! I was like "NOOO!!! she bought in!!!"

I love duckie though.

I'm so with you on that one. I was so mad she ended up with Blaine (eww... even his name...). I'll confess something here that I rarely tell a soul: I have the Pretty in Pink novel-ette that was written after the movie (paperback, natch), and at the end of the book, she ends up with Duckie. So much more satisfying.

No prom pix for me, either. I didn't have fun in high school and lived my life as a ghost.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Sep 3 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #42

new highs in personal lows daily!

omg... freck i would die to see that...

i don't have any prom pix. i didn't go...

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
zoya
post Sep 3 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #43

uh huh.

I fucking hated the end of Pretty In Pink, also, Bustygirl!! I was like "NOOO!!! she bought in!!!"

I love duckie though.

oh, and my guilty pleasure - OMD.

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Sep 3 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #44

beachcomber

my high school boyfriend recently found me again & yesterday we finally spoke on the phone.
== flashback to 1989! == it was reallly hysterical to remember Prom & his goofy pseudo mullet/new wave hair cut & how we bucked the trend of pastels & poofy dresses to go w/ classic black,white & red (very cutting edge, lol) and vintage.
his wife Loves our prom picture- his wife that graduated in 1999 ( wonder if she partied like it was? will have to ask her tongue.gif ) and she's right, our pictures were good. we were cool & original.

how fun would it be if all of us could share prom pictures or is that too dorky?
he said he's going to scan our picture and send it to me again & if so, I'll try to post it here.
I have not laughed that hard in a long time! biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
bustygirl
post Sep 3 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #45

Hardcore BUSTie

Desperately Seeking Susan and Pretty in Pink will always be my favourite teen movies, even though I HATED HATED HATED the ending of PIP.

In fact, when I describe going through high school in the pre-'alternative' revolution 80's, I alway say it was exactly like Pretty in Pink, only without the outcast winning in the end.

I will say this, though...I was never as much of an individual as I was in my HS years. Being on the fringes will push that out of you. I had so much fun with clothing then, because we had no money, and I was forced to alter/cut up/revamp things to my own tastes. I had this awesome pair of ripped up jeans before the ripped up jeans thing became a trend, and I used to get so much shit for them, but I loved them so much.

I'd wear them with my black jelly bracelets and my beret (SUCH an art dork!) and my striped tee-shirt and my black ballet flats and pretend I was in Paris or New York hanging out with Andy Warhol and Cyndi Lauper. In reality, I was just in my room listening to arty New Wave music and dreaming about getting the hell out of my Midwestern Middle-Class High School.

I almost miss those days....well, the clothes, anyway. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Sep 3 2008, 10:18 AM
Post #46

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(kari @ Sep 3 2008, 09:56 AM) *
That JC Penny commercial is TERRIBLE. Barf.

agreed. the only decent (imo) breakfast club tribute/knock-off was an episode of degrassi:tng called "take on me". incidentally, as a true Canadian 80's child, DEGRASSI is my absolute favourite show of all time. i even like the new series, and love how all the episode titles are 80's song titles!

+Quote Post
kari
post Sep 3 2008, 08:56 AM
Post #47

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh man, I remember all the stuff you have mentioned!!

My Little Pony.... I used to love those! And Cabbage Patch dolls too.

Expose! I forgot about that group.

That JC Penny commercial is TERRIBLE. Barf.

Footloose is such a fun movie. And Labyrinth! Remember those weird creatures in Labyrinth that could take their heads off?

What about The Neverending Story?

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Sep 2 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #48

Hardcore BUSTie

Two words: War Games.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Sep 2 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #49

Hardcore BUSTie

I LOVE "Footloose." I was extremely sheltered by crazy/religious fundy mom, so was not allowed to see movies growing up. I was introduced to "footloose" by my BFF at the time, who told the whole movie to me in story form from start to finish! The tale was captivating, and I loved the movie, vicariously. Then I saw the actual movie in my 20's, and it was *exactly* as she had described, I knew what was going to happen and stuff... awesome. Kevin Bacon is soooo gorgeous.

And don't forget about Kev AND Jamie Gertz in "Quicksilver." ... the movie about the bike couriers? where Kevin is a Wall Street stockbroker who quits his job to be a bike courier? and takes the job *verrrrry* seriously, in an "80's- corporate-guy-goes-punk kind of way", LOL laugh.gif

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Sep 1 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

I hate that JC Penny's commercial!!! Almost as bad as using The The's this is the day for pants or mNm's or a Yaz song for a Honda Oddessey. I am continually disgusted by how that music is used to target me. it's gross.

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Aug 31 2008, 08:42 AM
Post #51

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(zoya @ Aug 29 2008, 07:05 AM) *
...ok, thirtiesgirl, I have a feeling you might be able to relate to this one... I remember when Footloose came out.. I was in I think 8th grade and me and my girlfriends saw it 5 times IN A ROW. eek!!!

I was a high school freshman when that movie came out. I loved it at the time. Who knew Kevin Bacon was such an athletic dancer? My big movie in high school was Ferris Beuller's Day Off, though. That's the one that I saw several times at the cinema. I was so in love with Matthew Broderick. Another funny/weird thing about that time... I saw the Breakfast Club in 10th grade and I remember kind of hating it. I thought it was pretentious and overdone. I saw it again about 10 years later at a friend's house (she had it on VHS) and it really affected me. It's the movie that inspired me to get into my career as a school counselor, but I hated it the first time I saw it. Heh. Last year, the NuArt Theater in Santa Monica had a Breakfast Club revival and showed it on the big screen. I went with a group of friends and loved every minute of it.

Speaking of the Breakfast Club, have you guys seen this commercial for JC Penney yet? I was horrified the first time I saw it... the awful emo band ruining the song, the Asian girl in the Nirvana T... not to mention it's a piece of my past being used as a cultural reference point. Yeah, that doesn't make me feel old at all! (Right.)

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Aug 31 2008, 07:36 AM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

I am a huge fan of the movie Legend which I own on DVD but I also have the soundtrack on cassette tape ( yes that's right on tape) because that Bryan Ferry song " Is your love strong enough" is so gorgeous.

On the square pegs tip, Jamie Gertz's family belonged to my synogage. She showed up once for the HIgh HOlidays and it was a huge deal.

+Quote Post
zoya
post Aug 29 2008, 01:02 PM
Post #53

uh huh.

oh god, I LOVED square pegs. I had the hugest crush on Johnny Slash! Do you remember the Devo episode? my favourite, by far. I heard the whole series was going to come out on DVD (if it's not out already)

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Aug 29 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #54

it's cards on the table time

Footloose was on TV recently... I thought one of the minor characters looked a lot like Sarah Jessica Parker because she was sporting a side ponytail, and it turns out it was SJP. Anyone remember her in Square Pegs?

For me, it was Desperately Seeking Susan. Loved that movie. The young Aidan Quinn is adorable in it.

+Quote Post
zoya
post Aug 29 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #55

uh huh.

...ok, thirtiesgirl, I have a feeling you might be able to relate to this one... I remember when Footloose came out.. I was in I think 8th grade and me and my girlfriends saw it 5 times IN A ROW. eek!!!

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Aug 29 2008, 08:16 AM
Post #56

QUOTE(thirtiesgirl @ Aug 28 2008, 09:56 PM) *
On the '80s fantasy movie tip, may I just add: Labyrinth and Legend. I must have watched those movies a bazillion times back then (on VHS). I still can't get over Tim Curry as the devil in Legend.

I loved Legend growing up and just bought it about a year ago on DVD. Love that movie!!!

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Aug 28 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #57

Hardcore BUSTie

On the '80s fantasy movie tip, may I just add: Labyrinth and Legend. I must have watched those movies a bazillion times back then (on VHS). I still can't get over Tim Curry as the devil in Legend.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Aug 28 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #58

Big Fat Bitch

Um, I downloaded both Neneh Cherry & Nu Shooz.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Aug 28 2008, 03:01 PM
Post #59

it's cards on the table time

Count me in the lisa lisa & cult jam fan club, along with mantronix. Expose was my guilty pleasure: when the pet shop boys did 'domino dancing' they said it was inspired by expose's 'miami sound.' I can't believe I remember that. Love art of noise too, and brian eno's stuff with david byrne a bit earlier.

Also 'Buffalo Stance' by neneh cherry ruled my world.

+Quote Post
take some petrol...
post Aug 28 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #60

BUSTie

i was born in '85 so i wasn't old enough to catch onto the '80s pop sensations when they were still current... but i collected '80s toys for a really long time! my personal favorite were, of course, my little pony! i collected them well into my 'teens and ended up with hundreds of them and countless pieces of memoribilia that i got on the cheap at garage sales or from the girl cousins in my large extended family. holding onto my original ones from childhood and a few others that had gained significance, i sold the majority of them at a convention a few years back that, for some reason, was held here in minneapolis.

they still make me smile soooo much!while they aren't my thing anymore, they were a fun thing to collect for so long and it's cool to see young kids liking the new ones hasbro makes.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 21, 2014 - 02:41 AM