The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Katrina Hurricane, evacuation anniversary
bunnyb
post Jan 16 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #1

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

I didn't think of it like that, just as an uplifting story sad.gif.

eta: It wasn't only poor black people who were left to die in New Orleans; yes, there was a lot of racism and injustice, but not only that.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
doxy
post Dec 20 2006, 01:50 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Wow, I didn't know this thread would still be here.
Going to check out the youtube video.
For those of you who weren't able to watch my personal video the first time. The Smithsonian worked with University of New Orleans to put my video up forever. You can even google it. Nevermind. You should watch it if you have 15 minutes
http://hurricanearchive.org/object/12144
Click on the link that says anniversary.

Crazy to watch it now that it's Christmas in New Orleans again, but two years later.

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Dec 7 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

a survivor passed this video along to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJt4IBLBhc

warning: it's triggering.

it's sweet that bush put his name beside a document that protects animals, but...

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Oct 10 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #4

Big Fat Bitch

Wow. That's cool. I remember seeing footage of dogs on roofs barking like mad.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
maddy29
post Oct 10 2006, 02:08 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

This past Friday at the White House, President Bush signed the Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards (PETS) Act into law.

This landmark legislation, which was strongly backed by The Humane Society of the United States, requires local and state disaster plans to include provisions for household pets and service animals in the event of a major disaster or emergency. When I was in the Gulf during Hurricane Katrina, I saw the government's failure to have a plan for helping animals. Tens of thousands of animals suffered terribly and were lost or left behind because our communities and responders didn't have a plan in place.

With more than 358 million pets in the United States residing in 63 percent of American households, the PETS Act will help ensure that Americans never again are faced with the horrifying choice of abandoning their pet and finding their way to safety, or staying with their pet and remaining in a hazardous, and potentially life-threatening situation.

Some states and local communities have already engaged in disaster preparedness for animals, and with a federal law now in place, the future for you and your companion animal in a disaster is much brighter.

+Quote Post
doxy
post Sep 16 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

Two flowers, of course it's ok to post in here. and I badly want to watch the Spike Lee movie. Haven't gotten around to borrowing it yet. Not sure if I could function thru 26 episodes on YouTube or not? If I can't get a copy from a friend then that's what I'll have to do. So thanks for the info.
Maddy, are you sure you can't see it? You clicked on "windows media" and everything? Wouldn't be a big deal for me to mail you a copy since I've bothered you so much with it. What's awesome is there's a hurricane archive at University of New Orleans that is collecting everyone's thoughts, pictures, video's, etc that they want to keep in the city's history forever...and I mailed them a disc with my shortened version of what I personally went thru. Amelita, I know this would probably annoy you, but you should look it up and send your name in with your address if you're interested.

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Sep 14 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #7

Pacifism kicks ass!

I hope it's okay if I post this here. It seems like the most appropriate place.

I don't have HBO so I was unable to watch Spike Lee's documentary "When The Levees Broke" when it originally aired. Today I found out that the film has been placed on YouTube so that anyone may watch it. Unfortunately, YouTube has time limits on all of the videos that appear on its site, so the documentary had to be broken up into 26 segments. But it is worth it. The following link will take you to a page that has links to each segment.

http://ticklebooth.com/2006/09/spike-lee-joints-on-youtube/

*Note: Whoever placed this on YouTube has it labeled as "When The Levees Collapsed".

+Quote Post
maddy29
post Sep 14 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

crapzilla-i can't watch it either, my windows media player tells me to connect to the internet, which I am....

+Quote Post
maddy29
post Sep 11 2006, 01:38 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been thinking a lot about Katrina since this thread was posted. I feel really bad, because I'm guilty of minimizing it too. I was horrified watching the footage of everything happening. I'm still horrified, but I'm sad to say, I kinda forgot. I mean, I assumed that the clean up was happening and everything. BAD assumption, especially with who is running this country (running it into the ground).

But I feel really ignorant about it- it sounds like the claims about them knowing the levees would never hold is true, right? THey knew it wouldn't hold against a big storm, and they just didn't care.

I don't want to compare tragedies, but how many people died and were hurt and displaced and lost their homes in Katrina, vs. the 9/11 attacks? Obviously they are both horrific. But the 9/11 widows got some money, and a lot of attention (which is fine with me), and what do the Katrina survivors get? Their insurance companies won't even pay them....sigh.

my thoughts continue to be with you. i'm going to watchyour slideshow at home because i know i'll cry and i'm at work right now (working hard, as you can see)

+Quote Post
anarch
post Sep 10 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

just want to say that my thoughts are with you amilita & doxy. sorry I can't view your slideshow doxy as my linux system doesn't seem to know how to download it.

the last Humane Society newsletter had a great picture on the cover of a dog and her human, reunited several weeks after they got separated by Katrina. The small picture online isn't as good to see the love and delight radiating from the dog, but you get the idea.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 3 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #11

i can't view those links. what am i doing wrong? i'm using mozilla, is that it?

+Quote Post
amilita
post Sep 2 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #12

Me-yow!

I may check it out, doxy, but I'm just kind of taking things in as I'm able. I'm sure it's interesting...I'll try soon.

There are two blogs here about people whose homes are leaning serverely and their insurance companies won't pay up cuz they are claiming the damage is due to standing water and not wind...it's crazy. I can't remember which company, though...that commercial would make me mad regardless, I'm sure.

+Quote Post
yuefie
post Sep 2 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #13

Lip Balm Aficionado

polly, I saw that effing commercial last night and it ticked me off so bad. I can only imagine how pissed off those affected by the hurricanes must feel about it. What a slap in the face. Seriously, I was seething so much I swear I felt my blood pressure rise. Idiots.

--------------------
~I'm so tired of being tired
As sure as night will follow day
Most things I worry about
Never happen anyway~

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 2 2006, 05:47 PM
Post #14

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

I saw a commercial the other day for, I think it was State Farm, going on and on about how well they served their customers in the gulf coast, showing them handing out water, helping people rebuild....I'm sure that in isolated cases, there were individual agents/employees who helped people, but the corporation, as a whole, especially when it came time to hand out the cash, hasn't done shit. That commercial made me so mad.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
mandolyn
post Sep 2 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

thank you for sharing, (((doxy))). i'm pretty sure i get what you're saying. a very poignant & necessary perspective.

--------------------
"... what i want is what i've not got
and what i need is all around me."

+Quote Post
doxy
post Sep 2 2006, 01:12 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Nothing makes me more mad than what shouldn't have happened, and that's the Army Core of Engineers bullcrap. I get so pissed at my bar because at the end of the day each guest wants to hear what I think of class and race and all that I do know is what happened to the 9th ward shouldn't have happened FIRST...in the order of "what shouldn't have happened" because that Mr.Goat should have been receded more than 3 decades ago.
Oh, and the government response was shit. I love it when guests suggest how happier I'd have been if Guliani was my mayor...fuck off. He had a 3 block radius he couldn't work with compared to 80% of a city, not to mention Bush and the entire country/governmnet were up his ass. The two can NEVER relate.

Other than that, I'd really have liked it if you have watched my slide show, Amelita. You never needed to apologize for posting stuff from another thread into my thread, because it's really our thread...but I seriously wished you'd have given my slideshow a shot. Here's the link again (look for "download" in the middle of the page on the left-hand side, then click on "windows media" just below it)

http://www.archive.org/details/EvacuationAnniversary_0

+Quote Post
amilita
post Sep 1 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #17

Me-yow!

Thanks, treehugger and maddy. I'm feeling less raw than earlier this week, so that's a good thing.

Not only did the government have a poor response to this disaster, but the Army Corps of Engineers is largely responsible for it. And the way insurance companies are treating some people...ugh. There is so much aftermath. More than I have the energy to write about.

But thanks for your sentiments, and treehugger, thanks for visiting the city earlier this year! We need visitors down here.

+Quote Post
maddy29
post Sep 1 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

I read something the other day that said there were still dead bodies laying in abandoned buildings, and I was shocked. I mean, I know the gov't is doing a horrible job with all of this, but that is just so appalling. I think THIS is the kind of work soldiers, etc, should be doing-instead of being in iraq and other places.

I'm in the Northeast and don't know anyone down there at all, so I feel very disconnected from the whole thing. But yes, I'm still angry about how little help there was last year when it happened, and how it seems that the city hasn't been helped nearly enough. It's sad, because if it was NYC, it'd be sooo different.

Hugs to you all who are suffering through this. I can't imagine what you all went through, and are still going through.

amilita-i read that post in the other thread too, i know she didn't "mean" anything by it, but i thought it was thoughtless too. especially this week! for those of us who it didn't affect, i guess it's still easy to shrug off, or not treat it so importantly.

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Aug 30 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #19

cryostat bitch

QUOTE(amilita @ Aug 30 2006, 09:25 AM) *

Anyway, some people will get this and some won't. I'm not even sure I should post this, but these boards mean something to me and I don't feel like slinking off and not saying my peace. People have told me I'm strong, and I do not feel strong right now. I feel like I'm struggling. I feel a little messy, like I'm falling apart a little. And I don't care.

Amilita, I wasn't there. I can't pretend to know what it's like to be in your situation. But I get it. I get your post. And, I'm ((((sorry)))) for all the hurt and pain and the re-opening of old wounds that haven't even closed yet.

And I'm angry, for what seems to be one of the most disorganized "rescue"/emergency management response ever.

All of you New Orleans natives and non-native residents went through HELL.

And my thoughts are with both of you at this time. As well as other Busties, either lurking or non, who might be from affected areas.

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
amilita
post Aug 30 2006, 12:14 PM
Post #20

Me-yow!

Yeah, I know you meant nothing by your title, doxy. I am definately on pins and needles lately...although I thought it would dissapate a little today. I'm glad you didn't take it as an attack...I just read evacuation anniversary and I was thinking, "If only I were so lucky..." And I felt angry...not at you, so much, but just I wish I didn't have to experience what I did. But then that's shitty because everyone here- EVERYONE- is going though a hard time whether they evacuated or not.

*deep breath*

Yeah, still in the Marigny! I kinda thought we'd have run into each other as well, by now. I'm not going out much either, but did a little Mardi Gras, a little Jazz Fest, a few House Of Blues shows...that kind of thing. Trying to get more back to normal. I may go to the Southern Decadance parade this Sunday.

Move on over to our side of town! See ya sometime!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 1, 2014 - 04:02 AM